Perception Cancelled at TNT

Eric McCormack Perception Memories From the Set

Dr. Daniel Pierce is out of a job.

TNT’s Perception will not be back for a fourth season, TVLine has confirmed.

The second half of the procedural’s third season is still slated to continue in February.

Earlier this week, the cable network announced that it would not renew Franklin & Bash.

Are you bummed about Perception‘s cancellation? Let us know in the comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. phuong says:

Stupid TNT I love perception!!!!

• Shaun Cox says:

It seems that everything that makes you think and is well written it gets canceled, I wonder why that is.

• Steven Flinchbaugh says:

I agree with you Shaun and I think they don’t want us to think. Maybe they do it to say that they don’t care how we feel,and want to show that they have control over us.

• Chase says:

It seems that everything that makes you think and is well written it gets canceled,– So true!

• lelice says:

I need season 3. i need to know what happens next… I NEED TO

• theodore says:

season 3 is out, the though…..

• pam says:

You can get the entire season through Amazon Instant Video. You have to pay, but it comes to only a couple dollars an episode. I think it is less expensive if you purchase the entire season rather than individual episodes. Also, the episodes are yours to keep in your video library.

• Jay says:

This is the best crime series i’ve ever seen, i wish they could reconsider about making season 4. There are lots of viewers watching perception, makes me sad that season 3 will end soon.

2. TV God says:

Stupid move by TNT a fourth and final season would have been good enough. Kevin Reilly is a total dumbass.

3. Moment says:

Legends will probably be next. Maybe they’ll surprise us with the long overdue Rizzoli & Isles renewal.

4. Argh! I love this show. This just ruined my day :(

5. Carol Lieb says:

This is upsetting. With so many shows that are fluff or boring, this one kept your attention. If another station was smart, they would pick it up and continue it.

6. MzTeaze says:

I guess TNT is cleaning house right now. With several other shows leaving the roster, I guess this isn’t much of a surprise. I hope their new shows aren’t mostly reality based shows.

7. Oua says:

I am so upset about this! It was one of my favorite shows!

8. Christina says:

I really enjoyed watching this with my sister. I was hoping for a fourth season I’m almost afraid to like shows now as the good ones get cancelled.

9. Kris says:

What the heck are they thinking at TNT? Too many good shows are gone. You’ve got to wonder what they’re going to replace this with.

10. Tdine says:

Another good show bites the dust… :/ Who the heck gets to make these decisions anyways?? They need a good slap… ! I imagine Rizzoli will be not far behind now… JERKS!!!!

11. eviloverlore says:

This is great! Franklin and Bash and now Perception. Fingers crossed that Rizzoli & Isles is next – then I won’t have to watch TNT at all. I don’t think these networks get that there’s *so much* good TV out there that people like me are anxious to stop paying attention to a network altogether. Enjoy your “serious” new direction, TNT. I’m perfectly happy to ignore you after R & S is canceled.

• Patrick says:

They get that there is a lot of good TV out there. And that is all they want. Good shows. That are hits (relative to whatever metric that network uses). Rizzoli and Major Crimes are hits. Big hits. Although I’m getting tired of no major character advancements for the Rizzoli characters.
      Moderate hits are too expensive for cable networks. The only money in TV production is in selling a show in syndication. If a show is a hit, like Psych, White Collar, Burn Notice, or Walking Dead, then the show continues long enough to reach or get close to 88 episodes. And other channels or local affiliates pay through the nose for the rights to air old episodes. Other shows can’t go into syndication (content or numbers of episodes), but generate enough media buzz or awards attention that they get to continue, such as VEEP, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. Plus, the original network will air the shows ad nauseum due to the popularity of the show for that network.
      Perception and FNB have no secondary market. No one is going to buy these shows in syndication. No one. And they aren’t awards bait (which is what Perception was going for) at all. So, after 3-4 seasons they become money pits due to salary/budget escalations built into the contracts for people who produce the show. And with no syndication to defray the costs, or awards to trumpet, the show goes away.
      FNB lost me after last year. Didn’t watch this year, and couldn’t be bothered to catch up. There was no character progression. They didn’t have love interests, or ongoing plot threads. It was just zany cases, and that got old at a certain point.

• Jericho says:

FNB had story threads, they just were small and relatively uninteresting. The real problem with FNB was its season length. Even for a basic cable drama 10 episodes is a ridiculously small order. In 10 episodes of a “zany law dramedy” you just can’t have serialized storylines. Like you, last season put me off, this season had its moments,but they were few and far between and mostly consisted of a guest star that I liked that carried the episode.

• Verne Gagne says:

I agree with your premise for the most part. There isn’t a secondary market for just those shows alone. However, correct me if I’m wrong, I believe that some production companies sell their shows into syndication in packages with other shows that might not normally see the syndication market. Something has to be on the air at 3am in Topeka. And your last paragraph is the reason that FNB is the perfect show for synidcation. No character progression and no major developing plot threads. That is one of the things that networks look for so that they can air episodes haphazardly and not have to worry about any kind of order.

• SRW says:

Ah, so THAT’S how it works. Thanks for explaining. Still sad and frustrating, though. :/

• Eran says:

Why in the world would you wish a show to be cancelled? Have you any clue how many good, hard working people behind the scenes would be out of a job?

12. Denise Rambo says:

I hope they wrap things up. I like this show.

13. Darn!!! I really enjoyed this series! Interesting twist on the routine mystery formula, and well-written, too.

14. Lorie says:

This blows!

15. bmac53 says:

A big mistake…this is one of the few shows they have worth watching.

16. anto33 says:

Bummer.Another good show cancelled…

17. Ella J. Wade says:

But they renewed Murder in the First?? Really TNT??

18. VLH says:

That stinks! Why cancel all the good shows and leave all that stupid crap on!

19. Perception is one of the best shows out there AND the fact that it highlights mental illnesses so well is a bonus. I love this show and now I kind of hate TNT for cancelling it.

20. Rita says:

I can’t believe TV anymore, They cancelled this one, which I love, Hell on Wheels, Longmire, The Mentalist,and a few more & keep on adding stinkin’ food shows, or reality bs. Who really cares about that stuff, you wonder why people are watching netfix & that, makes me sick!!

• drhenning says:

AMC did not cancel Hell on Wheels… You’ve got 2 more summers of it ( split season over 2 years… typical on AMC now)…. I feel lucky to have gotten another season of Perception based on its ratings…

• steelers13 says:

Got tht right i loved longmire and hell on wheels wht the crap happend to good tv iam i right

21. karen says:

It took me a few episodes to warm up to it,but now I love it. Darn….!!

22. I’ll miss it! It’s a great show! I love Dr. Daniel Piarce and the dynamic of the show!

23. Kay gialenios says:

I loved Perception! Is
    Major Crimes returning?

24. Barb C says:

are they any shows left on TNT ?? Really dumb, it was a good show :(

25. ChicagoDan says:

No surprise here. The retention out of R&I was very low, surprised it kept getting renewed. Plus, it comes from an outside studio, which I’m sure had a lot to do with the decision. Oh, and TNT’s ‘edgier fare,’ does that mean they’re going to stop airing “Castle,” “L&O,” “Bones,” “Charmed,” etc. nonstop? Yeah, I don’t think so. It’s too bad there are going to gut the network. Hasn’t really worked well for USA.

26. Marie says:

TNT Sucks Ass!! Can’t believe they canceled Perception. That is my show. Who is the dumbass cancelling all of these good shows? Who ever it is because of you i am now boycotting TNT!!

27. Babybop says:

Sad! I enjoy it. Glad it will still finish up the season but hope it ends well!

28. UGH! What the cuss!? I LOVE this show.

29. Teresa says:

So let me get this straight, Perception, a quality show is cancelled. When are some reality shows going to get rightfully cancelled. Some viewers still prefer quality shows.

30. squirrelysue says:

I love Perception. As one with mental issues it was refreshing to see him deal with his world. At least we get the other half right?

31. Karen119 says:

Okay I’m not happy about this cancellation. At this rate there will be nothing for me to watch!

32. cruisemama98 says:

Crap! At this rate there will be nothing for me to watch!!

33. mike says:

Great Show. They always cancel the good ones! This show deserves another season to wrap the store line up! IDIOTS!

34. CD says:

yes, I’m bummed. It was an enjoyable show. .love Eric!

35. Debbie says:

Yes I am very bummed about this show being cancelled along with Franklin and Bash. But mostly this show. I loved this show, could TNT not of given us a final season . I don’t understand why they do this on good shows

36. My husband has watched since beginning and I started watching last season and really enjoyed Perception, Hate to see it cancelled.

37. Susan says:

TNT along with USA and many others are cancelling all the shows I really love. Shame on you TNT!!! Stupid move and soon you won’t have any views left. They better not cancel Rizzoli & Isles!!! I love Perception!!!

38. Shipm8 says:

What the heck??? I love that show. Should have renew it for one more season to wrap up the story.

39. Kansas Kruiser says:

What are you thinking???? Worst idea ever!!

40. Annette says:

This is horrible news!!! First Franklin and Bash and now Perception!!! Is TNT going to get rid of all of their good shows and only keep crap??? If they cancel Rizzoli and Isles then they’ve completely lost me as a loyal viewer. Terrible! Just terrible!!!!!

41. Chris Hughes says:

perception is 1 of my fav shows why take a good series off like that 2 keep rubbish series on

42. Barb says:

Great move TNT first Dallas now Perception. Anymore good shows you want to cancel?

43. TNT did it again,another great series got the axes.

44. I don’t know what’s going on but TNT is screwing up big time their canceling every good show and gonna replace them with crap wait and see :(

45. And surely next rizzoli & isles cancelled and legends renew :/

46. karenh43 says:

I’m going to miss that program. Wonder what they plan on replacing the cancelled shows with? Better be something good!

47. Kay says:

This Sucks!!! I really liked this show, they better at least end it right! I mean Kate and Pierce together…..

48. lechatnoir says:

This is one show they could have kept for another 2 seasons . I hope they’ll get rid of Rizotto and Rice . Those girls should have “lesb it up” a long time ago. Now its just a dull repetitive procedural show with no clear direction. It should be next on the chopping block.

49. Kathy Ann Holbrook says:

I love Perception…sorry to see it end.

50. jj says:

I don’t have much faith in TNT, not since they cancelled Leverage.