Grey's Anatomy: Caterina Scorsone Previews Amelia's 'Humiliation,' War With Derek and... Romance With Owen?

Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Amelia Owen

A skeleton from Amelia’s substance-abuse past checks into Grey’s Anatomy this Thursday (8/7c, ABC), jeopardizing her cushy new job at Grey Sloan Memorial and her relationship with brother/colleague Derek.

In the following Q&A, Amelia’s portrayer, Caterina Scorsone , reflects on her character’s considerable Private Practice baggage, teases this week’s gossip emergency (and the ensuing Derek-related fallout) and explains why series creator Shonda Rhimes is not rushing into the Amelia-Owen romance we all know is coming.

TVLINE | You must’ve assumed Amelia’s past would eventually come back to bite her.
Absolutely. You can’t live in Shondaland without that kind of deep, dark secret coming to light at some point.

TVLINE | How does her secret leak?
Amelia is involved in a complicated neuro case that a bunch of the doctors are involved in, and she’s asked to come into the waiting area to discuss the case with a family member. And, as it turns out, that family member knows all of her secrets, and freaks out that she is going to be her parents’ surgeon. And basically outs her to everybody about her sobriety and her whole history with the death of her lover Ryan.

TVLINE | She must be mortified.
Yes, she’s mortified, but it goes even deeper than that. I think she so firmly compartmentalized that part of her life. She feels that she escaped all of that when she moved to Seattle. Alcoholism and drug addiction is a very dangerous disease. And she knows that she’s always one drink away from falling prey to it. Becoming stressed and isolated is really dangerous for someone who suffers from addiction. So, yes, she’s embarrassed and humiliated, but, beyond that, she’s scared for her sober life. It threatens everything she is trying to build for herself now.

TVLINE | Will it cause her to relapse?
I don’t know. We haven’t gotten that far in terms of the story. I think Amelia has learned a lot, and she definitely has more tools now. But there’s always that risk for her. So far it hasn’t happened with what we’ve shot.

TVLINE | When you think back to Amelia’s rap sheet — Ryan’s death, writing prescriptions for herself, performing surgery under the influence — does it make you go, ‘She really doesn’t have any business practicing medicine!'”
[Laughs] What’s funny about that is when I was initially doing that storyline on Private Practice, I looked into doctors and addiction, and the truth is there are staggering statistics on how many surgeons and doctors have struggled with addiction problems. It’s such a high-pressure job, and the hours are so long… and they have constant access to pharmacy-grade drugs. It’s actually a fairly common problem. And they now have protocols that protect doctors, so they feel comfortable coming out and saying, “I have a problem and I need treatment.”

TVLINE | Does this week’s episode establish how much Derek knows about her past?
Derek doesn’t know everything. He knows that she’s had an addiction problem. He knows about Ryan dying. But there are things that Derek doesn’t know. The Amelia-Derek relationship ends up being really interesting in this episode, because she’s always looked up to her brother and kind of sees him as a father figure after they lost their dad. In this episode, this terrible exposure of her past happens and she looks to him to support her and protect her. He does not rise to the occasion. [Laughs] It really recasts how she perceives that relationship.

TVLINE | Does anyone come to her defense?
There’s a really sweet relationship that’s developing between Amelia and Dr. Weber, who is also a sober alcoholic. She seeks him out, and he has some incredible words of wisdom and protection for her. He fathers her in a really lovely way.

TVLINE | Are you enjoying the friendship between Amelia and Maggie?
Yeah. And it’s also nice because Kelly McCreary is totally awesome. We love having scenes. She’s a great actress and a cool lady. And we’re both kind of new to being series regulars, so we’re walking that path together. We feel very lucky about that pairing.

TVLINE | Amelia mentioned recently that she hasn’t had sex in ages. It seems inevitable that Owen will eventually end that dry spell for her. Any hints of that coming up?
We haven’t shot anything that explicitly goes down that road. I think Shonda is trying to be really careful about not accelerating past the healing that both of them have to do. He had this huge relationship with Cristina that was really important to him. And Amelia lost Ryan and her baby, and then broke off this engagement. So she’s got a lot of wounds to heal, and is very gun-shy in the love department. She’s really protective of her heart. She’s been really badly burned in the past. So I think Shonda is just being careful not to push that too soon. But… I definitely see why that speculation has happened. They have some really interesting, mutual wounded pieces. [Laughs]

1. cas says:

I love Amelia. I actually didn’t watch the last season of Private Practice so I didn’t even know Amelia was engaged until she came to Greys. However, I remember the whole Ryan and baby thing and it was heartbreaking.

2. Yuka says:

Derek has been acting like a real jerk this season.

3. Babygate says:

I can’t even fathom the idea of Amelia with Owen. The only thing they have in common is that they have recently broken up with a significant other. After Ryan and James, Owen is not exactly Amelia’s type. Besides, after Cristina, anyone that Owen hooks up with will feel like a consolation price, and I have grown too fond of the Amelia character to see her relegated to second best.

• Rachel says:

I don’t either. I didn’t watch PP, so all I know is her comments about freaking out over marriage & children. That doesn’t sound like someone that Owen would willingly enter into a relationship with after what happened with Cristina.

• pamela says:

I agree, I get the idea of the two personalities however the actors don’t have the chemistry to go there, I think she would have more chemistry with Sheldon from PP than Owen.

• Abby says:

To just play devil’s advocate a bit, I disagree. I thought Owen and Cristina carried on way, way, way too long, especially after they had established there would be no happy ending as they wanted different things. I want Owen to find someone to give him a family, like he wants, without the shadow of Cristina at the hospital holding him back. And while Owen may not be Amelia’s type, maybe that’s what she needs – something different than what she’s already had, and realized wasn’t her happy ending.

• Grey's Fan says:

I think an Amelia/Alex pairing would be better in the long run.

4. hello says:

So i assume Derek doesn’t know about the baby

• Taylinn says:

No the first episode of this season when Ameila was talking to Richard in the elevator about her not saying anything to anyone about Maggie she says that “I haven’t even told my own brother about-“. Well we all know she’s talking about the baby.

5. SandraB says:

“The Amelia-Owen romance we all know is coming.” LMAO. And we all know that when the Amelia-Owen thing happens Shonda will says it is groundbreaking TV…

6. RG says:

I’m def on team NO Amelia and Owen.

7. Ileana M. says:

Well, Derek has been acting like a d*ck this season… For serious.

8. kn1231 says:

Really hoping they pair Amelia with Owen, because that would keep Owen away from Callie and Callie can go back to Arizona. Arizona has been an idiot since the leg, but all it would take would be for the writers to start writing Arizona as the fun positive person she was, and we would all love Callie and Arizona again!

• Anna says:

Oh god, please no more Callie/Arizona. That relationship has been a train-wreck for years now. I pray to Shonda that she will come up with better pairings for the both of them.
      And I honestly wouldn’t mind an Owen/Callie baby.

9. Luli says:

I want more Meredith and Amy scenes!!

And yeah, as always Derek acts like a jerk. He’s been worse this season.

10. Tom says:

I don’t see Owen as Amelia’s match on the show…but I also don’t really see a match for her yet. I think she needs someone gritty and damaged..the complete opposite of Derek. I have to say I’m not an Amelia fan altogether but I’m interested to see how they continue this story. It’s a shame they couldn’t get Matt Long to just come over with Amelia from PP.

11. Reader says:

Am I the only one who thinks they’re going to pair Owen with Callie? They’ve shared a lot of screen time, a what-if relationship, a new demanding project and are both mourning their broken relationship.

12. Allison says:

Amelia is cool and all, but pairing her with Owen is just wrong! No, just No! I would rather see Callie and Owen than Amelia and Owen, but since Amelia is a series regular now and apparently the rite of passage on this show is to have a regular get shagged on the regular and seeing how all the other guys are taken, that leaves Owen. Still, No!!! I would love for Callie to go back to men, but all those die hard Calzona fans would more than likely scream bloody murder if that were to happen. Plus Callie and Cristina were good friends…sigh…Why can’t they just leave them single? They can still get some off screen, we just don’t have to know about it. Oh well… if this Amelia and Owen thing happens, I’ll do what I always do when a scene pops up that I don’t want to see and that is change the channel, count to 30, then return to see if the horror show has ended. I will still watch the show because I have watched the show for too many years to just up and leave it. I love Grey’s Anatomy, but Ameila and Owen??? No, please sweet baby, No!!!!