Supernatural Stars, Producers Reveal the Fallen Characters They'd Resurrect — and Who Should Stay Buried

Supernatural Dead Characters

Bobby, Ellen, Kevin Tran — Supernatural hasn’t been afraid to kill off some of its most important and popular characters over the past decade. But which familiar faces may rise again?

The dead don’t stay buried on the CW series. Even Dean and Sam Winchester themselves have died and come back more times than ’80s fashion trends.

So as the milestone 200th episode approaches (next Tuesday at 9/8c), we asked the show’s stars, producers and recurring players to reflect on the show’s most memorable demises and to tell us which characters they’d resurrect.

Flip through the gallery to discover the “good friend” Jensen Ackles would bring back, the fan favorite Jared Padalecki does not want to see return and much more.

1. autumnd23 says:

No mention of Jo? Love her. My vote would be to bring back Ellen and Jo, my favorite female characters of the entire series.

2. phuong says:

i love jo and was sad when they killed her i was happy when they brought her back for one episode just to take her away again

3. alistaircrane says:

I want John back, even if it’s only as a ghost. I can’t believe we haven’t seen John Winchester since the second season! I want to know where John and Mary’s souls disappeared to…remember, when Sam and Dean went to Heaven, Ash told them John and Mary’s spirits weren’t there and no one knew where they were….

• brentslone says:

well Mary sold her soul to the yellow eyed demon for john, and john sold his soul to save dean.. theyre both in hell

• dragons3 says:

But at the end of “All Hell Breaks Loose”, when John helped close the gates of Hell, he was shown ascending, so I don’t think his soul is in Hell. I’d love to see him back on the show, even as a one off guest shot. Also Bobby, Ellen and Jo.

• Rachel Farnsworth says:

Yeah it would be nice to have some answers!! I totally forgot all about ash saying that!!

4. alistaircrane says:

As for a resurrection, I want Bobby back from the dead! The show is missing something special without him. I guess he did already come back from the dead once (in the Season 5 finale), but Sam and Dean have come back multiple times—-save Bobby!!!

5. Tracy says:

Jared Padalecki is NUTS to not want Bobby back! Yes, the ep where Bobby died was AMAZING but this is Supernatural and anything is possible! I’d love to see Bobby come back and see how his experiences in Heaven and Hell have changed him! I miss Bobby!

• Patrick says:

Regardless of what anyone says about various characters, the main reason this show is still on is that it is profitable. Very few shows have the same longevity as SPN with so few regular characters. Only 2 for most of the show. Never more than 4. As shows age, they get more expensive, largely due to raises for show runners and stars. And Sam and Dean (aka the actors that play them) are making a ton of money. A TON. And that’s because the CW can afford to pay them, because there are only 2. The two new regulars, Castiel and Crawley, are still on their relatively inexpensive first deals.
      So, the two bros probably aren’t that eager to bring back any one else that would drive up costs on a regular basis. They are currently in the process of making generational wealth, so they probably like the status quo quite a bit.

• ninamags says:

I don’t think they make the kind of money you think they make. Every time they show the lists of big, money-making actors they are never anywhere near those lists, not even in the top 20, I would say.

Because they are on the CW, I think they are getting robbed. C’mon, anywhere else a 10-year show and their actors would be making MAJOR dollars. These guys are not.

Unless you’re also including convention money, then maybe. But for them to not even have some sort of producer or executive producer credit is ridiculous. Tom Welling was exec-producer or producer for the last few years of his long-running show.

• Jessica Winchester says:

Amen. I miss bobby! <3

6. Tracy says:

I love Jo and Ellen and I wanted to see Jo and Dean get together so I wish they’d bring them back. I miss Chuck and I’d love to at least know what happened to him! I love Bobby and Supernatural isn’t the same with him so I want him back! If Jared ever leaves then I would want the show to continue with Dean, Benny, Cas and Bobby! (If Jensen left I’d just stop watching) I hated it when Kevin, Meg and John died but I understand the motivation for it. I’m just hoping that when Supernatural ends, many years from now, we see everyone back!

• Rachel Farnsworth says:

Bringing jo back would be awesome!!! Dean cared for her and if they brought her back…she could save him not just from the mark but from himself!!

7. Drew says:

I hate that Jo died. I have always felt this anger toward the fangirls who freaked out when she showed up, and they made the writers doubt the character. Losing her also meant losing Ellen, who was another great character.
    But if I could bring back one… Adam. If only to find out where there has been zero ripple effect from his death. I know they weren’t close to him, but Dean made a promise to a family member and then only mentioned him once after his death. Dean was Dead when he finally remembered Adam. So I have always wondered if his memory was blocked and being dead allowed him to remember.
    We never did find out why Ash couldn’t find some people in Heaven.
    I propose that Charlie be killed off and someone else comes back in her place. Jo would be a good replacement female.

• Amber says:

Yeah, that was a mistake on the writer’s part to doubt the character of Jo and write her off before fans could really decide if they liked her or not. It was also a mistake on the fans’ part to attack her character before there was a chance to really flesh her out more. It must have been a “shipping” thing where some people saw her as a threat or not good enough for Dean. Some people jumped on the bandwagon too quickly and made some loud noise (which I truly do not believe was a majority) and then Kripke lost his confidence. It’s too bad as Ellen and Jo turned out to be awesome female characters. By the time Jo was allowed to breathe as a character in season 5, she became quite popular. That’s what would have happened earlier if she had been given the chance. So yeah, I agree. They should find a way to bring her back. The dynamic between Dean and Jo makes the series better. But they should also bring Ellen back. I LOVED her.

• Drew says:

The Supernatural fangirls are really loud. Most fans are cool, but they’re not… Becky. Those who are super crazy throw a fit any time a female gets within ten feet of a Winchester. They say horrible things about the actresses playing them and they won’t relent until those females are gone. And then they complain about the lack of women on the show.
        The same thing happened with Lisa, and we lost a great chance for some character growth for Dean and a new angle to play on the series.

• Isabelle says:

Although I agree too some extent that SPN fangirls can go a bit crazy, the part of complaining about not being enough women of the show is mainly that they want women on the show that aren’t just there as love interest for the boys. And this is not just because they “want the Winchester to themsleves”, it’s cause it’s insulting that love interest should the only angle to play.
          Felicia Day comes to mind as someone who has been fully embraced by the fangirls.

• Drew says:

Fangirls embrace her because she isn’t seen as a threat.
            The show is ultimately about two brothers. Most of the women who come into their lives will be potential love interests. But Jo had a great story of her own. Lisa was a solid character too. The problem is that it takes more than a couple of weeks to fully develop a character and the fangirls start whining before the casting process is complete most of the time.
            The fangirls community is an embarrassment to the Supernatural fan base.

• CJ says:

I never took to Jo, but I adored Ellen. It had nothing to do with Jo being a potential love interest, although admittedly, I prefer when the show focuses on the relationship of the brothers, not romantic interests. I just don’t think romance fits in with the overall theme of the show and has the possibility of taking things to soap opera levels. I wouldn’t have liked Jo with Dean more because I didn’t really like her character and she came across as too emotionally young to pair with Dean and I didn’t find their dynamic a particularly good one. Just one of those pairings that didn’t gel for me. I had no problem at all with his relationship with Lisa and found their dynamic really interesting. The problem with Ellen and Jo being written off wasn’t so much a specific choice to rid the show of two female characters because fans were vocal, it was part of the arc of killing off pretty much all of the Winchesters’ allies, as the show was never expected to continue past season 5. I hope we see more great female characters, but I really love the fact that it’s a show based around the relationships – both familial and friendship – between men, without the need for romantic storylines. It’s quite unique.

8. Kay says:

For me I wish Bobby, John, Jo and Garth could come back!

9. Katherine says:

I want to see them all again in the show! Anyone interested in buying a soul?

10. Amber says:

Simple: Ellen and Jo…and then Bobby.

11. Badcompany says:

I miss Bobby the most, but pretty much any of the ones mentioned would make me happy. Another that would make me happy is Ash. “All business in front, party in the back”. Heck, bring ’em all back and we’ll have that party!

12. Robby Horine says:

Only one. Gabriell/Trickster.

13. ninamags says:

I want all the angels to come back. Plus, flashbacks with young John and Mary, and Grandpappy Winchester as well.

• ninamags says:

And by angels I mean all the interesting ones: Gabriel, Balthazar, even the a-holes: Zachariah, Uriel, Raphael and even Luci.

Infinitely more interesting than the angels that unfortunately populate the show now.

14. ann says:

BELA TALBOT

15. CBWBDK1 says:

They should have never killed of Bobby. Biggest mistake this show ever made!

16. Rick says:

I’d want Bobby back, definitely. And Gabriel, Balthazar.. was never a big fan of Jo (I didn’t like how they wrote her), but I LOVED Ellen.

17. Joe says:

As long as we’ve always got Dean, Sam, and Cas, I’m good. Though I do really miss Bobby – the boys need a father figure, since their own dad was kind of a crappy father.

18. Carrie says:

I always love it when John and Mary come back. I’d love to see Bobby again for just one more episode. I’d love to see Ellen, Rufus, Henry, Gabriel, Balthazar, Death, Lucifer…there have just been so many awesome characters. Everybody mentioned, basically.

19. Shannon says:

I am still waiting and hoping for Papa Winchester to come back. They had a great thing where he escaped hell when the door was opened by YED and they have yet to use it. I think brining him back would be great and hopefully for more than one episode. Maybe he can even help out Castiel or something. I also liked the original Meg but I think she has run her course. Jo and her Mom were cool but again I think they run their course. Jessica could be fun to be brought back or even help with heaven above situation. Only angels fell out of heaven with Metatron so what were the souls already in heaven doing during the outcast time of the angels?

20. Shannon says:

I just thought Mary would be another good one especially to help her two boys like she did in season one with the poltergeist. Arch Angel Michael (not played by brother Adam I hated that story line) would be fun to.

21. JessicaGozz says:

I would love to see, comeback of Mark Pelegrino, Bobby or The Trickster (Angel) maybe.

22. onelastemperor says:

Would’ve been so awesome to see Luci again)

23. Shannon says:

Okay also I would love for the trickster to come back. Sorry that character will always be the trickster to me and I loved him for it and he was in some of my favorite episodes from the show. Last season I also like Galedreel but would want the same actor to be playing the character because he did an amazing job. I also liked one person’s comment about people dead on the show are not fully dead which is so true!!

24. Kathleen Monticelli says:

we want John Winchester to come back we miss dad

25. Lehane says:

Ellen & Jo, COME ON! They don’t deserve to die

• Misilin says:

I really don’t care for Jo but Ellen is a bad ass, I like her. What happened with that black girl, Cassie, Dean’s first love? She was the only girl I liked with Dean.

26. Kathleen Monticelli says:

John Winchester

27. Lia Sari says:

Bobby! They gotta bring Bobby back! It has to be Bobby!!!

28. Dominique says:

wow, nobody except for Gil mentions Adam, what a complete shock… not. They’re all going on about how this show is about the brothers, and fmail, but the writers and producers simply refuse to accept that at some point, they’re gonna have to talk about Adam.

29. Megan says:

Love Jo and Ellen good characters

30. Ron says:

Bring back Ellen and Jo,

31. Mitch says:

Bring back the dad and the gun

32. Kim Seebold says:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jim Beaver. Love them both.

33. JReid says:

definitely Jo and Ellen their a package deal they died together they should come back together I thought Jo was really good for Dean

34. Mary Novick says:

I think you should bring back Adam just to show Sam what it was really like being a big brother so he could get a sense of what Dean really went through trying to protect him all these years.

35. The two that made me cry was Jo and Bobby. Should have been some pictures of Jo. She was amazing. Her or Bobby, or even Kevin would get my vote.

36. tisanavarro says:

Love supernatural LOVE THE WINCHESTERS. THEY BEEN THREW LOT BRING BACK THERE DAD AND MOM. DEAN AND Sam HAVE SCARIFE ALOT FOR EACH OTHER BRING THEIR PARENTS. BACK IS YELLOW EYES READY DEAD.

37. j says:

Would want Bobbie, Adam, Garth, Ellen back. And just how did Sam in real life hurt his arm?

• Drew says:

I think Jared said that he was messing around with Ostric Chau (Kevin) and hurt his arm. At least, that is what I read somewhere.

38. bring back their dad John Winchester

dad dad dad dad

39. Angela Lightner says:

There dad, the other brother would both be cool.
    Ellen and Jo could add some excitement and of course, Bobby!

40. Angela Lightner says:

Jo could help bring Dean back!

41. Erin2 says:

The resurrection of Jo would actually breathe some life into this show… while I still love it, let’s be honest the last few seasons have basically the same plot: something happens to one brother while the other tries his best to save him!! The presence of a woman on the regular basis is desperately needed so either keep Charlie (the awesome Felicia Day) or bring back Jo!!!!

42. Mal says:

Ellen and Jo, no question. I really liked the show but I haven’t watched it properly since they died because their deaths were just so pointless. I don’t mind character death when it’s done well and for a good reason, but they were killed simply for the shock value and because some fans didn’t like Jo. It was a waste of two awesome characters and a loss of two actresses who added a really interesting dynamic to the show.

43. David4 says:

If they want to do a spin-off instead of introducing someone new why now just bring back a dead character?

• SL says:

I was thinking the same like why not do like a prequel show, showing how papa Winchester started out and finding monsters were real and the road house creation and other hunters stories or even some of no story etc… it would answer more questions about the past and also good accompaniment for the original and can do combo episodes blending past and present…
      They have plenty to work with and better transition then starting with whole new characters and story.

44. cindy zabell says:

i would like to see a bad a.. mom come

45. Lauren says:

Bring back Meg II, Bela, the reaper girl they killed last season, Pam, Dean’s vampire bestfriend and the 3rd Winchester brother.

46. joy says:

their father. what was his name again? he was great i want him back

47. i want there father back…..

48. Tania says:

I would say Jo but she’s not on the list I would like Bobby or John

49. martin says:

let god resurrect bobby to prove
    he’s still there

50. Ellen and Jo!!!!! Why only Ellen? Mother and daughter together forever. I want them to resurrect both Harvelle, not only Ellen, that wouldn’t make sense. Ellen comes to life and Jo still dead in Heaven? But I would love that they resuscitate the best characters in SPN. Bobby, Mary, John, Ellen, Jo, Jessica, Ash and Kevin. Right now or at the end of the show. Dean and Jo and Sam with Jess!!!!!