Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Returning to Fox Lineup

are-you-smarter-than-fifth-grader-returning

Better brush up on your Common Core — Fox is bringing Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? back to its primetime lineup.

Jeff Foxworthy, who hosted the game show when it debuted in 2007, will return as host, with Mark Burnett (Survivor, The Voice) executive producing.

The network has not yet settled on a premiere date or time slot, though it is promising “new twists” for the revival.

5th Grader , which pits adult contestants against the elementary-school set using questions derived from actual 1st- to 5th-grade textbooks, ran for three seasons on Fox and then in syndication through 2011.

“I have loved this competition from our first show and the timing couldn’t be better for 5th Grader to return to Fox, as there is nothing like it on television,” said Burnett, in a release. “Kids today are smarter than ever and the adults who try to take them on will have an even harder task ahead of them.”

Excited about the return of 5th Grader? Sound off in the comments!

1. Tran says:

Happy to see 5th Grader coming back to Fox after being gone in the past several years. This could shake things up for Fox.

2. Robby Horine says:

I’m for new game shows in nighttime and daytime. AYSTA5thG was a good format and will fill a niche at Fox.

Now replace “The View” with a revival of Match Game or Sale of the Century.

3. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Cool I miss gameshows in primetime. I wish someone would reboot Match Game.

4. Moment says:

It makes me wonder where they could place the show, the Fox of then rated a lot higher in primetime than it did now. Place in the wrong slot and the revival could be a disaster. I think the network should revive another popular gameshow and place alongside, make a night of it.

• Alex says:

The viewership bar is set low. Even with cash prizes, the show is pretty cheap to produce compared to a comedy or drama. It can go on Friday night possibly and not need much in the way of ratings to survive. Or maybe they want to stick it on Sunday.

5. Dani says:

I guess FOX is in need to low risk, inexpensive shows, considering the ratings they have on their new shows this season. I was hoping for more scripted shows but I understand why they might to this.

6. Steven says:

Fox is looking pretty desperate.

7. maria says:

Sounds good but they need to make the show a little faster-paced. It always seemed like not enough questions and too much stalling.

8. Genious says:

There’s a rumor that Fox is going to do a re-boot of Mulaney next season-but that’s all depending on whether it fails this season. Anyone know if the show is doing well?

• Amanda From Michigan says:

Mulaney is doing pretty terribly, with numbers under a 1.0 in the key demo. But then again, there is hope there. If the right people tinker with the show, it could be really funny.

• Alex says:

Your sarcasm detector is broken. And it would take a lot more than “tinkering” with Mulaney to make it any better than pure crap.

• Moment says:

Let me guess, a bunch of fans were speculating/spreading false rumors on Facebook?

9. MattySi. says:

I watched this show all the time when it was on. I found that I completely forgot about it until now.

10. Elaine says:

Yeah I love Foxworthy and the show. So happy to see it return

11. kirads09 says:

Hey Fox – if you are in the mood how about – Almost Human? Enlisted? (and I know I am dreaming here) Alcatraz? Terra Nova?

Or picking up Longmire – that show is far too good to be on the MIA network.

12. Scott says:

There seems to be a trend running lately with primetime networks bringing back old shows of the past. Maybe NBC will bring back Deal or No Deal, or Twenty-One with Maury Povich. Hey, they’ll need something to compete with ABC’s 500 Questions and FOX’S 5th Grader. You know what I really miss, though? Greed. Chuck Woolery. Enough said. FOX should revive that.

13. karole benson says:

I have 19 of the old shows recorded and play several of them every week. I’m so happy to read that the show will be on again and I can hardly wait for them to decide the time slot. Loved watching Jeff Foxworthy and all the fifth graders. Makes me happy to see how smart these fifth graders are.

14. Ryan Tadych says:

I see this as a mid season replacement. FOX is going to wait for the FIRST show to take this winter and then 5th Grader will be back. Game shows are cheap. They don’t need huge ratings for it to be a success. I agree with one commenter though, couple this “Don’t Forget the Lyrics” again and make a game shows night. Remember, FOX also has BOOM!, another new game shows. If this works out, I definitely see NBC trying to review DOND. Remember, they still have Hollywood Game Night for the summer though!

15. m.michalisin says:

great show,awesome host!

16. We love “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader” I hope it will be on Sunday night at 8pm
    We learned so much by watching this show! Great entertainment. I’m glad Jeff is going to host it

17. Kind of a fun show. Doesn’t say what changes there will be, but, unfortunately, the main drawback of the original show, the host, isn’t changing. With his clumsy attempts to add suspense when there was none and to make himself, rather than the kids and contestants, the center of attention, he turns a good idea into a farce.

18. John Triantafyllos, M.D. says:

You guys were wrong Marie Curie did win the Nobel prize in chemistry for radium and polonium not Uranium. That Reverend Colton should have won the Million dollars as he answered correctly. Foxworthy this is BS.

19. Barb Hilke says:

I love this show.

20. Barb Hilke says:

I love this show

21. George says:

We really enjoyed the show. Was sorry that it was gone and happy that it is returning. Finally something worth watching on tv.

22. George says:

Really enjoy the show, glad it is coming back. Finally something worth watching on the boob tube!

23. George says:

Really enjoyed the show. Finally something worth while to watch on tv!