CMA Awards 2014: The Best, Worst and Country Music-iest Moments

CMA Awards 2014

There were three things we needed to see, going into Wednesday’s 48th Annual CMA Awards:

1) Carrie Underwood rocking her traditional 3 million costume changes with baby in her slow-cooker

2) Meghan Trainor making her duet with Miranda Lambert all about that bass

3) The aforementioned Platinum goddess taking home a trophy in at least one of her nine (!) nominated categories.

Lucky for us, country music’s biggest night didn’t disappoint. So we decided to pick out the best, worst and most country music-ified moments from ABC’s live broadcast.

It’s all here, from Kacey Musgraves’ bouffant to Rayna Jaymes’ shocking defeat. (The Nashville diva was robbed!)

Click through the gallery below to see our take on the down-home awards ceremony, then hit the comments to tell us the moments you would’ve picked!

1. Et. Al says:

I miss my Wednesday comedies. :(

2. jalahyacinth says:

If you think THAT’S big hair, you’ve clearly never been to Utah. That’s a run of the mill hairdo there.

3. JB says:

Garth probably didn’t have time for rehearsals. He is on tour, and is doing 11 (!) shows here in Minneapolis, starting tomorrow. Yes, It would have been nice to hear him, since I can’t make it to any of his shows

4. Riana says:

What about Luke Bryan winning entertainer of the year for worst? The man is pretty much the reason for country’s current state. Jimmie Rodgers and Johnny Cash are probably rolling in their graves.

5. Chavonne says:

Miranda from 2 years ago would have been more appropriate for that song, but I enjoyed it none-the-less.

6. hud says:

These award show’s complete waste of time…Feeble attempts by marginal talent to slap themselves again on their own backs. Waking up, getting dressed, should a reward be giving for that? Enough of these no talent hacks,”everyone is a singer”now-a-days. Enough, enough, enough…

• Bartleby says:

You know what else is a complete waste of time? You making this comment. If you’re not interested, don’t watch it and leave the rest of us alone.

• MP says:

Actually, hud has a point. I like country music a lot, but when some of the artists performed last night, I felt they did not sing well live and I’ve reached a point where I’m tired of that. I want to see more singers who can actually sing live and this goes for all genres of music, not just country.

• Bartleby says:

Actually, hud’s point had nothing to do with the level of the live performances at the awards show. It had to do with the existence of the awards show. And clearly you have no idea how difficult it is for performers in this type of setting. No, the performances weren’t perfect. But I enjoyed it, so if you don’t like it then don’t watch. It’s pretty simple.

• hud says:

Point being, if this is what passes for entertainment and, and delays regular programs their regular time slot…total waste of time…and my money for DirecTv. Do these “entertainers” need constant validation?

• CountryQueen says:

Do you only get ABC with your DirecTV package? If so, you need to talk to someone. The ratings show that lots of people like this entertainment. Move along and watch one of the many other channels you have if you don’t like it. Unless someone is forcing you to watch. Then, quick, type out an SOS so we can have someone rescue you.

7. Cobra says:

Best: Kacey Musgraves won an award; Kacey Musgraves duet with the First Lady of Country Music

Worst: Anything by Little Big Town (they seriously looked like they were dressed for court-ordered community service for most of the night)

ABSOLUTE WORST: Luke Bryan winning EotY. The CMAs are officially a sham.

• CountryQueen says:

1.7 million people went to see Luke this year. 1.7 million! Plus, his album had 3 #1’s this year – no one else had 3 #1’s off an album. So please, tell me how it’s a sham.

8. Sarah T. says:

How did Carrie singing “Something in the Water” not make the “Best” list? Girl shut it down last night, I’m pretty sure there was a mini revival on stage.
    Also, the Doobie brothers were fantastic. Michael McDonald-you can show every current country male singer there how to SING.
    I love Keith Urban’s new song but he did not sound good last night on the high notes. I’m not sure if he was sick or not but to use an American Idol quote, he was “pitchy”.
    I actually didn’t care for the Little Big Town/Arianna Grande mash up. They sounded great on their own but the segue into “Bang, Bang” really didn’t make sense to me. And I know she’s been called a “mini Maria” but she proved last night that she can’t hit those high notes live.
    Overall, good show. The CMA’s are one of the few award shows I actually watch most of because the performances are pretty strong and Carrie and Brad together nail it every time.

• Amy H says:

I agree. Carrie was amazing. A little surprised that Luke won EOTY. I don’t think he’s nearly as talented as the other nominees, but he does bring in the crowds.

9. CountryQueen says:

The Meghan Trainer duet was awful. Soooo boring. I thought that was suppose to be a fun song? She was extremely out of her element. I think Frankie Grande got all the talent in the Grande family. Little Big Town was great until Arianna came out. Brad and Carrie were very funny. So talented. Loved Kacey Musgraves winning for Follow Your Arrow. That song didn’t get much airplay, which is a shame. Hopefully she will get more radio time now. The New Artist Category was the one that had me scratching my head. Only 2 true new artists in that category. I work in country radio, and Brandy Clarke has never released a song, my die-hard country friends and fans had no idea who she was. Brett & Kip are amazing, but they were both in the category last year, so how is someone a new artist two years in a row. And they both were very successful the last two years. So as much as I love Brett, Thomas Rhett or Cole Swindell deserved that award. The Doobies were great. And I loved how Jennifer Nettles and Hilary Scott let their inner fan girls slip during the final performance as they stared at Michael McDonald.

10. And y’all left off Vince Gill??? Hello! :-)

11. hud says:

GROVE: Comment uncalled for.