Scoop: 2001: A Space Odyssey Sequel Blasts Off at Syfy

3001 Final Odyssey Syfy

Syfy is taking one giant leap with its 2015 development slate, ordering a miniseries adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke’s novel 3001: The Final Odyssey, TVLine has learned.

Clarke’s final Odyssey book resolves the story that began in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Beginning with the discovery of Frank Poole’s frozen body, floating in space, 3001 “offers an extraordinary range of complex characters with conflicting agendas, stunning visuals, and dark thematic meditations on the final fate of all Humankind,” per Syfy.

Stuart Beattie (Pirates of the Caribbean, Collateral) will pen the adaptation and serve as executive producer alongside Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker.

Clarke’s Odyssey series spanned over 30 years, with the initial publication of 2001 in 1968, and the final 3001 in 1997. The former, of course, was turned into an Oscar-winning film directed by Stanley Kubrick. According to Syfy, the estates of both Kubrick and Clarke “have offered their full support” for the project.

“I have always been a fan of Clarke’s extraordinary Odyssey series, and certainly Kubrick’s adaptation of 2001,” said Scott in a statement. “I am thrilled to be part of bringing that legacy to audiences and continuing the great cinematic tradition that this story and its creators deserve.”

1. auntiemm says:

No…just NO.

2. erik says:

So, will they be summarizing the other books as an intro, or just ignoring them and then presuming that everyone has seen and understood the original movie?

3. I wanted to buy the the original film on DVD format and see what Scott will do to make the sequel become a classic.

4. Dan G. says:

Hmmmm … I’m going to try my best to keep an open-minded approach to this — I know that curiosity will get the best of me, and I WILL give it a shot and watch …. butttt, though many have said that “2010” rivaled “2001: A Space Odyssey” — I disagreed completely. When compared to the original, it was bland and somewhat boring.

2001 is one of those incredible original works, so brilliant and so confounding that nothing else can compare. Kubrick & Clark made a masterpiece in 1968, that still stands up TODAY, 46 years later. Only one other film has had that effect on me …. the remarkable David Lynch motion picture “Mulholland Drive”…. many feel that neither can be explained, but I have come to the point that I don’t really care anymore. I am hard pressed to pick a better final scene …. the return of the Star-Child to Earth … or the finality of “silencio … silencio…”

5. taipan1124 says:

I’m really pleased to see that SyFy is returning to scripted format over reality programming; that’s the reason I stopped watching the network.

• James says:

They’ve always have stucked with scripted even then: Caprica, Stargate Universe, Being Human US, Haven, Merlin, Lost Girl, Continuum, Defiance, Dominion, Bitten, Almighty Johnsons, and then there’s the upcoming new shows and miniseries slated for next year.

6. ÝES! I’ve been waiting for this a long time. Last news I heard was that Tom Hanks was interested in doing it.

7. cindy says:

sounds good, and although we don’t usually watch sci fi series ( since the original Star Trek, we’ll probably give this a try

8. worthymagic says:

Everything deserves a chance to fail. With all the shows that SYFY has cancelled that they probably shouldn’t have(Lost Girl being the latest I can recall) why not give someone else a chance to make a potential flop? At least they will be giving some actors and actresses a chance to make some money or a chance to be recognized by someone else.

9. dreamlife613 says:

I haven’t seen 2001, but I am reading it. I was hoping to have them start with 2001, but I guess I should watch the movies/read the books before this miniseries comes out, unless it will stand on its own.

10. Joe says:

I think this story was confusing it with another TV mini-series that the network did called Childhood’s End. Ridley Scott;s work load is such now that he is doing more movies, and his company has never confirmed this news. Warner Brothers still holds the rights to 2001 a space odyssey and 2010; The Year we make contact, as well as the film rights to 2061 and 3001 the final odyssey according to the Clarke estate, and thus this story is most likely false.