Starz's Magic City Returning as Movie; Bruce Willis, More to Join Original Cast

Magic City Movie

Starz’s Magic City is getting a second chance at life — this time on the big screen.

RELATED Starz Renews Black Sails for Season 3, Releases First Season 2 Trailer

The ’60s-set Miami mobster drama, which was cancelled in 2013 after two seasons, will return in movie form with much of its original cast in tact, our sister site Deadline reports. Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Ike Evans), Danny Huston (Ben Diamond) and Kelly Lynch (Meg Bannock) will all reprise their original roles, joined by big names like Bruce Willis and Bill Murray.

Series creator Mitch Glazer has written the script and will also serve as director.

“The chance to explore this wild time and place and this compelling family saga is a dream come true,” Glazer said in a statement.

Will you check out the Magic City movie, or do you think it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. K says:

Wow! I did not expect this. Never saw the show but it didn’t strike me as something with a big enough following to warrant a movie. Either way, it’s good for the established fans and I may just check out the show now

2. Moment says:

Sounds like they’re trying to relaunch Magic City to me. If this movie proves to be a success, no doubt Starz will announce that it’s coming back.

3. Lucy Peyok says:

I am definitely looking forward to this. I was very disappointed when Starz cancelled it. I am so glad they are doing this!

4. Daisy says:

I bet the story would be better in movie form. There was a lot that kind of dragged along in the show. Any really, anything with JDM is worth the effort.

5. Eliza says:

Yes! Will definitely check this out. I really enjoyed the series and there was story still left to tell.
    Plus, I’m always up for some Jeffrey Dean Morgan :)
    Hope Steven Strait & Christian Cooke are returning as well.

6. alistaircrane says:

I want Jeffrey Dean Morgan back on Supernatural!

7. OMG, this totally makes my day!!

8. Yolanda says:

And what about Ola Kurylenko? Will she be back too?

9. LAwoman says:

Did not see that coming! Loved the series so yes, I’m in!

10. Eric J. Tidd says:

This is the best news I’ve had ALL YEAR! Loooooove everything about Magic City… absolutely can NOT wait.

11. Mumio says:

Omg, I am thrilled to hear this!!! I was so sad to hear it was canceled, the show has such great potential! Can’t wait!

12. Dean says:

If it can work for firefly and veronica mars then I’m not surprised.

13. Cheo says:

Having grown up here in the sixties and seventies, while not always enjoyable as a minority in crackertown, I can tell you that there was no more dynamic nor exciting place in the US. None. There could be ten, even twenty seasons of material right here, given the connections to major mob centers like NYC, Cleveland, Chicago, KC and L.A. Now, if somebody could please be good enough open up ONE last good deli in the city, I could die happy.

14. Holly says:

Cool! Jeffrey Dean Morgan is one of my faves.

15. RGL says:

Wow, that’ s a good news! the show’s always been great.

16. Jude says:

It was a really great show! Loved the way it captured the ’60s … Jeffrey Dean Morgan did such a great job playing the conflicted Ike Evans. I was so disappointed when it was cancelled . Wonder if it will be a whole different story line or if it will basically pick up where the series ended??????????

17. Shara says:

I LOVED Magic City. I added Starz to my TV package so I could watch it, I was very disappointed when it was cancelled. I love JDM and can’t wait to see this new installment.

18. Anna says:

Didn’t have Starz, so I didn’t watch the show, but good god I’m glad that JDM’s career is going strong. I love that man.

19. Magic city was a great period piece of television as a movie and if these two actor ( Willis and Murray) will join the cast I expect a classic gangster flick

20. I will definitely check it out. I loved the show and paid 1.99 per show on Amazon for season 2.
    The movie idea is great. Was a young woman in the 60’s…love remembering the days.

21. johnny says:

Says I Don’t Know Why It Was Cancelled, It Is A Great Show. I Will See The Movie !

22. Violet Glazers says:

Will definitely see movie.

23. Simon Willshire says:

This is great news, but no mention of Olga or Jessica who frankly carry the show worries me. Could it be that they are not American?

24. Barb says:

I loved the series, can’t wait to see the movie!

25. Paul McCann says:

I have to say I was heart broken when this show was cancelled. The entire cast is great and I must admit that I watch far too much TV and this show was at the top o f the list. I look forward to seeing the movie and Ben Diamond doing his thing

26. Renee says:

I found this series to be one of the best on TV it always was like a movie each episode I really would much rather have it back on Starz than have to go to the theater to see it for just 2 hours, two hours is just not enough of this intriguing storyline love it, sad it’s over and totally shocked that they would cancel it

27. Marie Piscitello says:

I would love to see this on big screen. Must keep all original cast.

28. Billy says:

The new major motion picture is a great idea!!! It might just put more wind in the sails to cruise back into the smaller screen again!

With Bruce Willis onboard and we all know how successful he is in making a series flow.

I only have one question. What are we waiting for !!! Let’s start sailing now !!! This show has so much future ahead of it self it could go into the 70’s 80’s even the 90’s this could be a prime time long run soap opera and run as long as up to current date.

Thank you for allowing me to share my feelings!!!

Best to you all !!!

29. phyllis miyauchi says:

One of my very favorites and I was so disappointed to see it end. Will see the movie and hope the 3rd season comes back. There is still much to tell.

30. Bebe says:

Too often these great series don’t renew because there are so many shows to choose from, it takes awhile to catch on. The series Magic City
    Is a perfect example. This extraordinary film series is very well written and acted by all involved. I grew up in Miami so it has been a real treat down memory lane on many of the scenes. The clothes were spot on and I miss those designs in today’s fashion.

31. Bebe says:

Love this series. Great trip down memory lane as I grew up in old Miami. Please, please continue this series.

32. Susan Kaiser says:

My fiancé and I would definitely go to see the movie. We just recently found this gem of a series on Netflix! We couldn’t believe something this good was cancelled! Best series I have seen in years! I wish HBO would run with this series. They seem to realize when they have a hit show!

33. This was a a terrific series. Why on earth would you drop when you have a winning draw to your network.

34. daniel says:

Only 5 more episode’s to watch and then it’s over!!!!! So I go to the net to find out why and BAM….. A movie!!!! Soo psyched!!!!! But when??? I can’t stretch the remaining five shows out too long.

35. I loved Magic City….Jeffrey Dean Morgan is so darn handsome.
    I am disappointed that it won’t be returning to Starz…however Bruce Willis adds bana sh to any storyline .

36. Willie jauregui says:

Please bring Magic city back is such a great show…..

37. Skipper B says:

I just finished watching the 2 seasons that were on and it really had a great vibe. Hope to see a release date for the movie soon.

38. Greg says:

I was serious disappointed by the cancellation of Magic City, I felt that Starz should have finished the series. I’m really looking forward to the release of the movie.

39. Can’t wait for the film. I will absolutely see it.

40. Maria Rolon says:

YES, I will so watch the movie.
    The last episode just left us all hanging. Please bring it back.
    I was hooked.

41. paul says:

I was heartbroken when Magic City went off the air. This is great news! Loved the series and loved the cast. I see a place for Willis definately.

42. Phil Denofrio says:

Oh man I can’t wait for this

43. Dr. Edward Mayland & Chung Lee says:

OMG! Very well done, thus far. Mitch Glazer has captured the epitome of that era. We are so happy to hear that it is coming back. My husband & I enjoyed the show so much, and we were disappointed when it was cancelled after the second season. We love all the casts, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Danny Huston, Steven Strait and rest of the casts, and they are perfect for each part. Please keep all the original cats for the movie. We cannot wait to see it, and we hope there will be more series after the movie. We are a big fan of Bruce Willis and Bill murray, however, we do not see them in this picture.

44. Loved the show and so did a few of my friends. We missed it. Movie would be so cool, looking forward to it.

45. M.D. Hawk says:

Just finished watching Season 2 on Netflix. Absolutely can’t believe this show was canceled. Great writing. Great storyline. Great setting. I am very happy to see this become a movie. Would love to see Netflix or someone else pick this show up. This was a good one folks.

46. Loetta Ashing says:

OMG…a movie; I am so excited. Please start the series again.

47. frank anthony says:

One of TV’s best shows in a period of great shows. The idiot that cancelled Magic City should have been cancelled himself instead. If the rumors of a movie are true, this is great news.

48. manuel al says:

Loved the show really upset when they cancel it ! They should bring it back rewrite the show hope they put there het together and bring it back the writers