Bad Judge and A to Z Cancelled by NBC

Bad Judge Series Premiere

The verdict is in, and Bad Judge is out.

NBC has issued its first cancellations of the fall season, ending the Kate Walsh-led series and the freshman rom-com A to Z, our sister site Deadline reports.

Both Thursday-night series will be allowed to finish their 13-episode orders. Bad Judge has shot 10 episodes; A to Z has shot 11.

Both shows had seen relatively steady declines since their premieres. This Thursday’s Bad Judge grabbed 4 million viewers and a 0.9 demo rating (down a tenth), while A to Z (2.6 mil/0.7) fell 16 and 22 percent.

Thoughts on the cancellations? Sound off in the comments!

1. Anna says:

I can’t say that this surprises me. A to Z was really just a (bad) clone of the (equally bad?) Mixology. Didn’t watch Bad Judge, because the premise didn’t interest me at all, even though I love Kate Walsh but from the reviews I read it did sound a little weird (not in a good way). This is a bad season for comedies.

• Ash says:

Not surprising, but still bummed. At least we’ll see all the episodes and it’ll end properly.

• Shazay says:

Maybe this means Addison could make a return to Greys. I don’t watch it, and I didn’t watch PP, but I read this site enough that I feel like I watch Greys.

• Ash says:

No. Let Addison be happy in her off-screen Private Practice life in LA. I’ve had enough of seeing all the Shondaland drama on her. Just leave her be.

• Mike R. says:

A guest stint or recurring non romantic arc would be nice though

• Ash says:

There is nothing in Seattle for her. Seriously. I miss her terribly but I would much, much rather see her happy in fanfics than some other melodrama bestowed upon her by Shonda Rhimes.

• Rosa says:

last week’s ep might have hinted to that I think…? when Geena Davis’ character was asking about her with Amelia and they were talking about Henry and everything. it would be nice to see what her and Jake have been up to besides parenting Henry of course.

• abz says:

Yeah, she could possibly be brought back in to tie in with Amelia’s story and why she randomly left California and James without an explanation. No need to have any Addison drama since she’s pretty happy and fulfilled with her life. It could just be a guest stint similar to the visit she did in the fourth season when she came back just for a case and just caught up with everybody.

• TruthTeller says:

Private Practice show ended 2 years ago. There is no more Private Practice.

• Temperance says:

A to Z was pretty charming, but Bad Judge was deeply horrible (deeply horrible). i’m not sure how BJ ever got to air to be honest.

• I just wonder why A To Z sound so much like Mixology and that series didn’t work. It suppose that take place over one night.

• Brendan says:

A to Z wasn’t like Mixology at all. It didn’t take place in a bar, or on the same night, two leads instead of 10 POV characters and I just don’t get the comparison. Mixology was about who would end up with who while A to Z was about a couple we knew was going to be together and explored how and why they would make it work. Not the same show at all…

• Kelly says:

Thank you! Don’t understand all the comparisons to Mixology at all. Two different shows…both of which I found entertaining and am sad to see go.

• TruthTeller says:

Because Betty, some people don’t have a brain. You’re right. It didn’t even come close to Mixology.

• Cris says:

I’M NOT SURE WHAT SHOW DID YOU WATCH OR WHAT KIND OF TASTE YOU HAVE BUT “AtoZ” WAS NOTHING LIKE “MIXOLOGY” were a bunch of guys try hard to get lay on night at a nice bar and the girls are trying to find meaning to their life and yeah few to get lay too!! Maybe you need to watch it again and pay attention this time unless you have a dry heart.

2. Robin says:

NOooo! I love A-Z! :( :(

3. keith says:

First honey boo boo now a to z? No.

4. Ali says:

I was enjoying A to Z. That’s a shame.

• Sheila says:

Me too! The leads are adorable! Nuts!

• S. says:

They’re too great to go without being snapped up so that’s the silver lining. The one plus is that when the next round of pilots is getting made, they’ll be free to get booked on the best ones they can since other actors might be stuck waiting to see if they’ll get a season 2. These guys will be able to be in first position, plus they’re awesome which I’m sure everybody will see.

• Amie says:

I hope you’re right. The leads are great. It’s the supporting characters that weren’t so great. And I’m not talking about their acting, just how they were written. All the 2-dimensional “types” were hard to watch. Rolling eyes territory for The Horndog Best Friend (male) and The Horndog Best Friend (female) Who Hate Each Other, The Driven Female Boss, The Driven Female Boss’s Ambitious Male Assistant, The Nerdy Co-Workers… It really was like A to Z of the sitcom checklist, wasn’t it?

5. Carla Krae says:

Bummer.

6. steven says:

More proof that NBC really isn’t trying to have hit comedies anymore. They thought they did last year with About a Boy, but that has tanked in the last few weeks.

• alistaircrane says:

About a Boy is still their best comedy currently on air.

• chrisnine11 says:

I will agree to this. I haven’t kept up with the ratings but based on the comments here it must not do that great. Not sure why cause it really is a cute and funny show and everyone on it is great.

• Will says:

About a Boy is actually a decent comedy. I only started watching after a recommendation. But I’d have to agree that the rating for that show has steadily declined. I’ll enjoy it while I can.

• Ari says:

About a Boy was my favorite new comedy last year. I thought it was going to get cancelled for sure. Every episode of season 2 is one more than I thought it would get so I’m just enjoying it while it’s still around. It’s really too bad that NBC is cutting their comedies so freely the last few years (Go On, I still miss you).

• Patrick says:

I bet NBC misses it as well.

• I miss Go On, too, and Growing Up Fisher. I love About A Boy. It is quirky and sweet and laugh-out-loud funny. This season hasn’t been quite as funny as last but I’m not giving up on it!

• bs’d
            NBC has a habit of killing good shows such as you mentioned. Remember LIFE, the first Damian Lewis vehicle? It was terrific.It was taken off to make way for Jay Leno Prime Time! I could go on an on, but I will spare you my wrath. Never trust a series on NBC. Think of Go On & Fisher…Now think of Bad Judge. No comparison.

• Moment says:

Some of you were speculating that they might swap Marry Me and About a Boy. It could happen, I’m not entirely sure, but they could save About a Boy doing this. It seems wasteful to put Marry Me after The Voice when it pulled a 1.5 recently. NBC may see sense and swap.

• Alex says:

Cancelling these two duds is “More proof that NBC really isn’t trying to have hit comedies anymore”? You make no sense.

7. Daisy says:

I’m bummed about Bad Judge. Kate Walsh was so funny in it. Didn’t watch A to Z but seems to soon to give them both the ax.

• erik says:

I loved Bad Judge, it didn’t take anything to watch it but to relax and enjoy the anarchy!! At least they will finish the season and there certainly won’t be any cliffhangers to worry about. More than they did for Manhattan Love Story, which was sweet and fun.

• Christian White says:

I was forced to watch this as my mother made me watch it and she hit me if I left. It was because we had an argument and my sister said my girlfriend gave me crabs. But they only slept together once as my sister got my girlfriend drunk. So I convinced my mother that my sister was lying, but she still said that I had to watch it with her for the last three episodes. I told her that I had work and when I was at home enjoying the evening with my girlfriend, she rang my work and they told her I wasn’t there. So she rang me up, whilst I was with my life girlfriend and I had to confess again that I was lying to her. At that point she marched round and smashed the door down. She threw paint at my girlfriend and she pushed me to the floor and screamed at me about why I didn’t watch it with her. After that, she gave up and said that she’d cook dinner for me if I watched it with her. I’d been out of a job as I got caught stealing crisps at work and so a free cooked dinner was what I really wanted! I watched it and sort of enjoyed it but I just couldn’t get into it. However my mother’s psychic and she predicted the future when this got cancelled. She was so upset that she bought a puppy and now she’s really happy with him and I love him too. So therefore the fact that Bad Judge got cancelled had a good effect on my life.

• JEst says:

Unfortunately it isn’t too soon cause they both had poor viewership that got worse weekly. The chances of recovery from that were slim to none.

• kmd7788 says:

Thank you! Everyone else has been bashing it, but I LOVE Bad Judge! Haha. I’m not trying to find some deeper meaning behind everything, so the show is just funny! Why can’t this just be a show about nothing in particular, and just be stupidly funny? Kate Walsh has gone in-depth with more taboo subjects than most actors out there-she deserves to just be stupid…
      This cancellation makes me very sad….

8. Sara says:

Now that they can write their series finales, I would love it if Zelda died of an illness in the end so Andrew could end up with Robin.

9. Anonymous says:

Man, I loved A to Z!!!! :(

10. tahiz says:

Bad Judge made honored to its title, bad!

11. Sleepwalking says:

Loved A to Z. Bad move, NBC.

• Ray says:

Actually, it was the only move they could make from a ratings standpoint. You’re lucky they’re not pulling the show from the schedule entirely.

• Alex says:

A is for awful. B is for bad. C is for crappy. D is for dreadful. E is for egregious. F is for flop. G is for goopy. H is for horrible. I is for idiotic. J is for junk. Etc. There you go!

12. abz says:

I didn’t watch this even though I love Kate Walsh. I’ve come to not start new shows as much (excep HTGAWM since its a Shondaland show) until they’re in their second season or later for this very reason. They almost always get cancelled.
    Hopefully this frees her up to possibly guest star on HTGAWM, Scandal or Grey’s again.

• Will says:

If you don’t watch it the first year, you’re basically one of the reasons why it gets cancelled in the first place. I know it sucks investing in a new show only to find out later it gets cancelled, but the “powers that be” will cancel it if you don’t.

I invested in both Bad Judge and A to Z. Am I upset? Nah, not really. I only watched these shows if I had time. Thank goodness for the DVR.

• abz says:

I live in Canada, so I’m not sure if my viewership is even taken into account in cancellation decisions.
        And I understand why it happens, but i’ve just grown tired of investing time into so many new shows over the years only to have them cancelled. Some of them get cancelled after you spend a whole season watching sometimes and nothing gets resolved. It’s frustrating.

• Verne Gagne says:

It doesn’t. But, even in America your viewership doesn’t count unless you have a Nielsen box. Until you get one of those keep on doing what you’re doing and save yourself the time and energy.

• MissMel says:

I do the same thing as abz and I’ve been accused of being the “reason” shows get cancelled more times than I can count. The fact is, however, that I don’t have a Nielsen box, so it doesn’t matter to “the powers that be” what I’m watching or not watching.

• Alex says:

“If you don’t watch it the first year, you’re basically one of the reasons why it gets cancelled in the first place.” Don’t use logic on whiners. They don’t understand it.

13. Hannah says:

So I wonder if they’ll end A to Z with an engagement.

14. Moment says:

Not surprising, sucks for the fans but the numbers weren’t there.

• johnhelvete says:

Yeah A to Z had a 0.7 in the demo last night, which appears to equal cancellation for NBC, Fox or ABC, and Bad Judge at 0.9 was not doing that great either.

15. Deborah James says:

Bad Judge, terrible TV show. A waste of
    Kate’s talent

16. Lori says:

I liked bad judge I watched A to Z once and didn’t catch my interest

17. David4 says:

Nice to see they have a little time to finish up the shows, that’s something.

18. Lindsey says:

I’m a bit sad about A to Z. I thought it was cute. This makes me more worried about Red Band Society. I know it’s a matter of time, and with it not airing the last few weeks because of the World Series, I’m afraid a lot of viewers won’t return.

19. George Cuttita says:

From the premise of Bad Judge, Kate Walsh was playing the same type of slut she did on Private Practice….and I hated her character in that show. A to Z….my wife and I liked it am sorry to see it go.

20. BrightLight says:

Apparently the networks are proving Friday is in fact Take Out The Trash Day. This makes the second Friday in a row they’ve canceled a show(s) at the end of the working day.

Sadly not surprised about any of this years cancellations so far. None of them I had any desire to watch from their promos and descriptions.

21. Chris says:

WHAT? A to Z noooooooooooo

22. beergas says:

Oh boo, I like Bad Judge. Wry sense of humor, not everyday thing. To me it’s like that Swedish summer comedy they ran. Have to have a certain mind set for these. A to Z just nothing though. Figures after Bad Teacher got the knock that oddball fun not working. Have to settle for Laura until or unless they axe it too. Seems they dejuice the ones they keep like 2 Broke Girls or Suburgatory.

23. I should be shock that both Bad Judge and A To Z got the axes. You must be a loyal fan of the start to watch both show. I hope that Kate Walsh will get a better show.

24. getbettermaterial says:

As a KW fan, I was embarrassed to watch this. Could not watch past first episode. Waste of talent. Sort of shocked this wasn’t the first to get the axe.

25. kmayne says:

Did not enjoy either show NBC needs to dig deep for good comedies, With Parks in its last season and most of their comedy line up floundering They need a hit a not a show that will just fill the gaps in the schedule

26. KatyLynn says:

Who wants to watch a woman in her late 40’s getting drunk and partying all the time? That’s just sad

• herman1959 says:

Exactly.

• justsaheyin says:

Why is it sad? Not everyone aspires to procreation and housekeeping. I look at my settled down “adult” friends and yawn. I would be no happier with their life than they would mine…

• Abby says:

Yeah, me too. But I think there needs to be some substance to make a show sustainable. Many, in fact most, of the most popular sitcoms in the past few decades have featured childless, working people who have a good time (Big Bang, Seinfeld, most of Friends etc.). It’s just all of these shows were better than Bad Judge.

• Nick says:

Would you say the same if it was a man, the character getting laid and partying all the time?

• Exactly. Thank you. I wonder if the show would have fared better had the lead been male. And, did anyone notice the show was executive produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay? Of course there was raunchiness and ridiculousness. Was it a great show? No, but it was fun and had potential.

• I would. Never liked Two and a Half Men or any other perpetual bachelor show. Actually, Bad Judge was preferable to THM, but only because I like Kate Walsh… even when her talent is completely wasted.

27. Diz says:

That sucks. I really enjoyed A to Z. Sometimes the 1hr dramas just drag a bit. I wish there were more good 1/2hr shows to watch.

28. sonic says:

Every network needs to stop with these stupid comedies/sitcoms. Year after year, they dedicate half of a season line up to failures, get a clue. Give people what they want, genre shows, dramas.

29. Too bad about Bad Judge. I thought it was actually pretty funny and entertaining. Then again, my enjoying a good show is the first sign it’s bound to get cancelled, lol.

• kmd7788 says:

I’m right there with ya…never fails: if I like a show right out of the gate, it’s not going to get renewed… I guess it’s the price of having a good sense of humor these days…

30. Kat says:

so bummed about A to Z. i can’t say that i’m surprised as NBC has a tendency to cancel the shows that i like. i haven’t forgiven them for Go On.

31. herman1959 says:

I’ll say it again – how many people want to watch a show who’s title’s first word is ‘Bad”?

32. rowan77 says:

I thought A to Z was cute and the lead actors very appealing, but Bad Judge was just plain awful.

33. Jared says:

No real surprises here. Launching a broad successful comedy is very hard now a days especially on a broadcast network.

34. Tran says:

Really hope The Blacklist is going to save Thursday nights on NBC come February 5, 2015.

35. tahina says:

Great! Now Addison can go back to Grey’s Anatomy and hook up with new single Callie..Callison! Whoo hoo!

36. cruisemama98 says:

How could anyone think that a show called Bad Judge would be a good idea?

37. Jane says:

I watched both shows, and I kinda liked them. Not sure if it was the actual shows I liked, or just the cast.

38. whisperintherain says:

Sorry, if not surprised, to see the lovely A to Z go so soon. It had a likeable cast and tried its best to avoid the tired gender clichés that Manhattan Love Story heavily relied upon.

On the other hand, I found nothing even remotely funny in Bad Judge, a clear case of When Bad Shows Happen to Good People IMHO. The silver lining here is that Kate Walsh is now officially available for watchable projects.

39. Diane says:

Seeing previews were enough to say cancel. Too silly !

40. Shan M says:

I’m bummed.. I thought Bad Judge was hilarious and loved seeing Kate playing a role that was more laid back and fun. I thought A to Z was a very cute and fun Rom Com. Will miss them both.

Hopefully since they haven’t finished filming they will leave us with some closure or better yet maybe someone else will pick them up. I don’t think NBC gave these shows a fair shake.

41. Ray says:

Death to the prime time romcom! Marry Me will be next on the chopping block.

42. Nikki says:

I’m disappointed. I really liked A to Z. It wasn’t some genius, award-winning show, but it was a nice, light comedy with great actors. However, if I had to choose, I am glad that this news is about these NBC comedies and not Marry Me, which is one of my new favorite shows of the season. But, bottom line, NBC should have never cancelled Community! ;) LOL.

43. Kit says:

Although I expected A to Z to get cancelled since it was not very good at all, I’m still bummed because Ben Feldman and Cristin Milioti were so good together. It’s unlikely that they’ll be cast as the leads together in something else but I’m hoping since I really enjoy seeing them on screen together.

44. DavidSask says:

No one should be shocked, I think Celebrity Apprentice should replace it!

45. Jean says:

Bad Judge was corny and way overdone on the free spirit theme…a snooze. A to Z was cute the first episode, but there wasn’t a lot of room to move forward.

46. M says:

Totally just spent the evening watching these…wow. I am bad luck.

47. thank god Bad JUdge is cancelled- what a stupid show- never saw a to z

48. Jill says:

Not surprised at this at all. I watched 5 minutes of Bad Judge and couldn’t stand it, and the leads in A to Z were great, but the rest of the cast and the writing was just downright awful. I wash hoping A to Z would get a retool with a slightly different cast and some new writers, but no luck.

49. Bad Judge was horrib;e

50. ndixit says:

Disappointed but not surprised. It was on the cards for a long time. I liked A to Z. Feldman and Millioti’s chemistry was really something special. I’m glad that they are at least letting all 13 episodes air. Hopefully that means there will be some sense of conclusion to the show. Honestly, I think A to Z got killed because of being paired of with Bad Judge which was just awful. But quality aside, the shows were completely different brand of humor so I have to question the person at NBC who thought that pairing up Bad Judge and A to Z was a good idea.