The Divide Cancelled by WE tv

The Divide Cancelled

The verdict is in: WE tv’s The Divide — the network’s first original scripted series — will not be getting a second season.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Created by Richard LaGravenese and Scandal‘s Tony Goldwyn, The Divide explored the complexities of the American justice system from the perspectives of its various participants. Among the stars were Marin Ireland (Homeland), Chris Bauer (True Blood) and Nia Long (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air).

The drama wrapped its eight-episode first season on Aug. 27.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Are you disappointed that The Divide has reached an early conclusion? Drop a comment with your reaction below.

1. Donald says:

Bad choice ! This was a terrific drama.

2. bluey037 says:

It’s a shame, it was an amazing show!!

3. Virginia says:

Sorry to see it go

4. B says:

I am *very* disappointed. Very. This was a great show with fantastic writing, great characters, and fabulous performances. WE is a small network and was barely on my (female) radar before now. I never watch it except for this show. AMC made a huge mistake in passing off The Divide to them. It was much better quality than some recent entries that did air on AMC, and WE really should have given people time to even *find* it let alone to grow. Stupid, stupid choice.

• lisa says:

You hit the nail on the head. We needs to pull their heads out of their collective asses.

• Karen Buckingham says:

yes… never heard of WE network. still dont know it. watch the show on netflix. great compelling viewing. disappointed its not coming back!

5. scotlore says:

I liked the show and caught a couple of the episodes. I had a hard time keeping up with the show as I could never seem to find the latter episodes on their tv schedule.

6. LG says:

I really enjoyed this show, please reconsider.

7. mj says:

Stupid move!! I hope another network will give The Divide another chance.

• aja says:

Agree!. Please let there be another network with smarter programming execs who will see the worthiness of continuing this show. It was smart, well-acted and deserved better.

8. Samuel Croft says:

I really liked The Divide and have been looking forward to it’s continuance. I’m very disappointed that it has been canceled. I think that WEtv did a great job with good acting and script. I have become attached to the characters. I hope this does not deter them from trying again with another show. I give them TOP Marks for The Divide. :(

9. Kim says:

I really enjoyed this show. It was the only thing I have ever watched on WE.

10. Yoki says:

Wonder was it a $$ issue. It was a good show.

11. Ken says:

I enjoyed the show from the start. A lot of complexities in the plot that I appreciated. Like another comment, it is the only thing I watched on We TV.

12. Kscher says:

It was a great series and deserved a second season. Too bad it was on a network with few viewers and not a chance to get ratings.

13. Coal says:

I was hooked, but with the way it ended and with all the (SPOILER ALERT !) characters that died I really couldn’t see a way forward for it. Its was a brilliant effort and kudos to them for giving it a chance.

• C says:

I was extremely disappointed by the last episode!! It went it completely the wrong direction and dropped the ball so I am actually not surprised it was dropped for a second season!

14. Schatzi49 says:

I am so sorry this show was cancelled. Its very frustrating to get involved in a show to have it go away without finishing.

15. Danielle says:

I enjoyed the show very much so. Sad to here it has been cancelled

16. missy says:

i’m shocked. Loved that show so much

17. Dane says:

This is a well written show that deserves another chance!

18. I’m very disappointed that the Divide has been cancelled. It was a well acted and scripted show. I hate when endings are left open because of cancellation.

19. Jenna says:

Well darn, I only watched the season (well, series) finale a few days ago and I was really hoping it would get renewed as it ended on a pretty big cliffhanger!

20. Missy Kelly says:

Didn’t even know it was on. The Lottery on Lifetime; Divide on WE, marketing people. do your job. I hate missing good tv

21. I should have known that the series wasn’t going to be renewal. I must agree with Annie that it was a great series.

22. Joyce d Collins says:

I AM apalled! This decision sickens me!!!! I can’t believe this!! This show was different, engaging. I loved ALL the characters. Why would you do this??? TRULY, this has shocked and saddened me.

23. EJ386 says:

Not cool, I really wanted to know what happens next.

• Muriel Sutton says:

I am utterly horrified…the best show on TV,IS NOT COMING BACK…..THIS CANNOT BE LIFE.To leave the viewers with THAT SEASON FINALE,AND NOT RETURN TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS RAISED AT THE FINALE IS JUST PLAIN TACKY.#WETVHASNOCLASS

24. JG says:

Not really. Too many shows to keep track of.

25. Audrey Pott from Australia says:

I am really disappointed that it’s been cancelled I loved watching it.

26. Really sad about this one. I wish AMC had kept it for that channel. WeTV didn’t provide any promotion for it at all. They just expected people to magically find it. That show was the best new show of the summer, in my opinion, and should be coming back. Excellent historical drama based on real life events and attitudes and a show that made you think is gone. I am sure it will be replaced by some tacky reality show or idiotic drivel about vampires, werewolves, or some other fantasy. I am so tired of what is being offered these days.

This one really hurts.

27. Sequoyah says:

This was a good show especially for this network. I hope Netflix picks it up.

28. Jared says:

This was the case of great show wrong network. Definitely the wrong direction for WETv. I do feel like there next scripted series will do better.

29. donnie says:

This is ludicrous! Reality TV takes over and The Divide did not get enough advertising! Another network should consider..

30. jazzy says:

WE TV made a mistake to cancel The Divide. This series had a gripping storyline, great acting and great intensity. It was complex and sucked you into the world of the justice system and dysfunctional lives of the characters. I need to know what happened to Billie Page? Did she leave the car on her own or was she taken against her will? Did Bobby and Danny die after Eric Zale stabbed? Will Eric ever get caught? And is Terry Kucik on the run? Too many unanswered questions, which requires a second season. WE TV should reconsider its decision and bring back The Divide.

31. Arlene says:

Too bad, it was one of the best new shows of the year. WE, stll owned by NBC? Not surprised if that is true. They tend to chicken out really quickly… (Southland, Friday Night Lights, etc.)

32. I am in shock ! Such a great show with great actors and directors . Dumb move WEtv .

33. christopher bee says:

And here wer go again. Terrific writing, superb acting, dark themes, dark places and a shocking brutal end; that´s too much for the domestic viewer / Advertiser. The Divide was one of my very favorites this year and it´s of course canceled. Shame on you WE.

34. Mara says:

A travesty — this was a smart, provocative show that was really well-done.

35. Angela G. says:

I can’t believe it! The Divide was by far the best show on tv this summer!

36. Jay says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It was a seriously good drama. I never watch shows live but I definitely stayed up to watch this live. After that finale, how can we be left hanging?

37. Christy says:

How frustrating. It was a great show and one of the few that my husband and I watched together. All those cliffhangers in the last episode! Ugh.

38. Whatevah says:

IDIOTS! This was a great show and it ended on a cliffhanger. BOOOOOOOOOO!

• Samuel Croft says:

And that BOOOOOOOOOOOOO is not for Halloween. Let’s hope that some other channel picks it up. I’m like I can’t go the rest of my life not knowing what happens.. A real shame!

39. Ally Oop says:

I’ve never even heard of this show before.

• Samuel Croft says:

It was not really publicized much and I ran across it by accident. Maybe if they had hyped it we would have season two. Maybe the budget for WEtv didn’t allow for much advertisement. Whichever it’s just sad that they canned it.

40. 1spunky18 says:

This is soooooo stupid. Was a ready great show! The good ones always get cancelled.

41. Nan says:

Seriously,,,this was such a great show…what the heck is wrong you people…but of course reality TV abounds and stays on TV

42. karima says:

I think that the Divide was one of the best realistic shows on tv in a long time. I am going to miss tuning in next season

43. Peggy says:

Of course they cancelled it. It was a fantastic show. Well acted, gripping storyline. I really don’t think these network executives that make these decisions really know what the public wants in a TV show. They are obviously clueless. That was obvious when A&E cancelled Longmire. And letting it end on a cliffhanger, that is soooo wrong!!

44. Dee says:

Sooooooooooooooo disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved this show!!! Well written! Well acted! And intelligent!!!!

45. E Goode says:

I loved this show! I’m so disappointed it was cancelled. With all the garbage on TV finally a series I was addicted to. Bad decision WEtv. Great drama and cast.

46. lisa says:

What is wrong with these stations? I am so tired of good shows not getting a chance. Storage wars is renewed but a good thought provoking show isn’t given a chance? I’m really so over looking at other people’s junk and how big kim Kardashian’s butt is. Half of realality shows aren’t REAL anyway.

• Samuel Croft says:

I think that it was two things that caused it to be canceled. 1st they did not advertise it or at least I never saw any and I just happened to run across it by luck. 2nd Money talks and everything else walks.

47. Elaine Smith says:

I was and so was many of my friends are really disappointed with the canceling The Divide. We enjoyed the show and the fact that it referenced Philadelphia was icing on the cake. Most of us grew up in South Philly and the Tasker Homes and like the characters in the show, we have come a long way since then. The actors, writers, directors and other staff members were excellent. Please reconsider giving it a second chance for another season.

48. Alexis Kelley says:

Stupid, stupid, stupid choice! This was a fantastic show, one I had no idea even existed till a friend told me about it and then I binged the entire season. Who hires the guys who make decisions like this one? Are these execs all twenty year olds with ADD? If you’re not prepared to build a brand (original scripted series) stay out of the market. I’m so ticked off with WE right now I will probably never give it another chance. After all, ho wants to be disappointed again, right?

49. Karla says:

This show got my husband and I hooked from the start. Please bring it back! The cast was superb! This show certainly was well written and made you think between episodes. I have never seen a finale
    With such intensity. I kept checking online to see when the new season would resume. I am so disappointed to learn of this news.
    I hope another network sees this loss as their gain!

50. Rhonda Y. Gans says:

Why did an original, compelling, beautifully written show not get picked up for a second season? Too many cliffhangers were dangling at the end of the season finale…..some other network NEEDS to pick this show up pronto.