Le Carre Series Starring Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston Lands at AMC

Night Manager AMC

AMC has splurged for dibs on an adaptation of John le Carre’s The Night Manager, to star two-time Golden Globe winner Hugh Laurie (House) and Tom Hiddleston (Thor), The Hollywood Reporter reports.

Published in 1993 as le Carre’s first post-Cold War novel, The Night Manager follows a British solider-turned-luxury hotel auditor who gets roped into an intelligence operation to take down an internationally renowned arms dealer.

AMC will co-produce the David Farr (Spooks)-penned adaptation — which the cabler is said to be envisioning as a six-to eight-episode event series — with BBC One (which will air it across the pond) and Ink Factory.

It is unclear at this time who would play whom, so wager your best guesses in Comments.

1. kath says:

I’m excited for this one. Le Carre, Laurie and Hiddleston …. I don’t see how it can go wrong.

• Walter Freeman says:

AMC could divide the one (final) season into two halves in two different years.

• Jen says:

HA! Don’t think they haven’t already thought of that!

• Comeon says:

Pretty sure BBC is the primary money with AMC getting US showing. Pretty sure the rest of the world’s right would have more say than just US’s right.

• Jos says:

You’re right. AMC has a stake in BBC America but not majority stake, it was in the forties percent so BBCA still majority. Still the venture will be a good one. AMC is a reputable network, it’s channels being American Movie Classics, Sundance and IFC.

2. Grace says:

Hollywood Reporter posted an article that Tom will be playing the role of the hero and Hugh the villain. Looking forward to it. I hope it is as good as the book!

3. didi says:

Amazing.
    a very talented and promising duo, now this is the dream team of acting!!!

4. Kevin H. says:

I can see AMC’s 49% stake in BBC America is finally bearing fruit. I assume after it’s original airing on AMC, it will have a second window on BBCA.

• Sara says:

Ha! I was totally thinking the same thing! This, to me, is something that should be aired on BBCAmerica’s Wednesday Dramaville block. But now, AMC is going to get a crack at top notch BBC dramas first, it seems. Sigh.

5. Tran says:

Dr. House and Loki teaming up on an AMC series? That’s something.

6. Paula says:

Woow 2 amazing talented & handsome Men. 👏

7. Helena says:

I love them both, so definitely excited about this.

8. megan says:

YESSSSSSS!!! This is going to be insanely good.

9. Julie Vallerand says:

Ah!…I’m in heaven already for the return of Hlaurie on TV….Great Job AMC!..
    I cannot wait to see him kicking Hiddleston’s butt (literally) & playing (I’m pretty sure an amazing/sarcastic & crazy) black market arms dealer.

10. Brian G. says:

Hiddleston as the night manager, and Laurie as the arms dealer. That’s my bet.

11. carol says:

so excited too see Hugh Laurie on TV again.

12. kd83954 says:

I was just going to say I’d love for Hiddleston to play the bad guy because he’s usually a good guy and then I slapped myself because duh! He played Loki! Put Laurie as the arms dealer and Hiddleston as the intelligence operator!

13. Jess says:

After House, I’d hoped to see Hugh on screen again though not in a regular network series. I’d hoped the perfect project would come along, something shorter, like a miniseries, and it did!

This has success written all over it. Hugh can play any role and play it to excellence. I’ve never seen Tom Hiddleston but all I’ve read and heard about him involves rave reviews regarding his work. I may have to watch one of his films now! I did read confirmation a few weeks ago Hiddleston will be portraying the former British soldier Jonathan Pine while Hugh Laurie will be in the role as villain arms dealer Richard Onslow Roper.

A miniseries is perfect, it’s not too short, not too long. I was concerned as to which American network would wind up with it and am relieved to see it is AMC who will partner with BBC.

I hear the novel is excellent, time to pick it up and read it. This project seems an excellent choice for two such talented men. Looking forward to MORE on this venture!

14. Mia says:

Don’t care who’s playing whom, I was all over this show from the moment they hired Hiddleston. I loved The Hollow Crown series so I’m gonna love having him on my tv every week.

15. Rich Abey says:

This is awesome news. I’m up for watching anything Hugh Laurie (be he playing a madman pill-poopping doctor or some classy blues) & Tom Hiddleston. Dream pair? Indeed!

16. nan00se says:

well Tom is in the process of FILMING I Saw the light and Skull Island starts filming in March. He returns to film Thor 3 in 2017 so presumably filming will start after Skull Island, unless the rumoured Richard 11 with James Ivory is scheduled some time around then.Lookimg at previous roles and films that are now in post production I am impresseby his diversity