Castle Photos Preview Rick's Alternate Reality Ride-Turned-Wedding Day

MOLLY QUINN, NATHAN FILLION

When ABC’s Castle resumes Season 7 on Nov. 10, the titular novelist’s life will get a rewrite, as the Case of the Week tees up a reality in which Kate (played by Stana Katic) never met Rick (Nathan Fillion) — and in which Alexis is brunette, apparently, based on these fresh photos.

Laying out the “rule book” for the reality-skewing episode, showrunner David Amann tells TVLine, “Castle has never written Nikki Heat, because he’s never met Kate, and she has no idea who he is” — not even as a successful novelist, mind you. “The people around him, including Martha and Alexis, are different as well, in different kinds of ways, in direct reaction to the path his life has taken.”

Meaning you can also expect to spy subtle changes in Ryan and Esposito, as a result of their Castle-free years.

“There’s a lot of fun to be had,” Amann promises. “Nathan is brilliant in it, playing the fish out of water situation. It’s a delightful episode” — especially, one must imagine, given the wedding bells that ring it to a close.

Check out the slideshow below, which obviously leads off with photos that precede Rick’s trip to the Other Side.

1. Matthew Weber says:

I think it’s going to be a lot of fun, though I hope we get to see a wedding in the real world and not just in this alternative reality place that Rick goes to. And I hope they have an explanation for him being there (like he was dreaming or imagining it) and don’t leave the show in that reality. That would be one way to turn me away from this show. I don’t think they would do that.

2. Kate says:

Look at the loft!!!! I seriously can’t wait for this episode!

• KCC says:

I know! It makes you wonder who Castle got involved with that changed the décor of the loft that much. I haven’t noticed any changes since he’s been with Beckett.

3. Kourt says:

Molly Quinn looks fierce with the black hair, but it still looks kinda strange. I cannot wait for Castle and Beckett to finally tie the knot in this episode.

4. Lindsay says:

Why isn’t he famous? What happened to Derek Storm?

5. Piers says:

Wow Susan Sullivan [Martha] is stunning for her age!

6. Jo says:

What stood out to me was that nobody looked very happy. No smiles in the AU. I find that intriguing. Apparently Castle’s AU world is missing some joy. Looking forward to how this ep plays out.

7. Lindsey says:

Wait, wasn’t Kate a huge fan of Castle’s before the show, it was his books that got her through her mother’s murders. She had all of his books in her collection in the first episode. So, they are now re-writing history with this Alternate Reality? I thought it was just as if Rick and Kate had never met, wouldn’t she still have read his books?

I guess I’ll just have to wait and watch, but so far it sounds like the writers are (again) re-writing history. Oh well, I hope its at least fun episode.

• Fran says:

I don’t get what you mean. Its an alternate reality so it stands to reason that nothing we saw on the show will have happened. Its not real so how is that rewriting the history of the show?

• BetiSA says:

Many people who watch Castle don’t understand the show. I concluded that when I read that some viewers thought that Castle had amnesia because of what he lived when he was 11 y.o.

• S. says:

You’re right. For some folks, they clearly are watching a version of the show with rules and tone that they’ve created in their brain as opposed to what the people making it intend and most of the people watching it see. You can tell from the comments–some of them have been complaining for about 18 months or so, even about eps or moments that everybody else loved. All the “I bet the wedding is in the alternative universe” grumbling is so annoying. As Matt pointed out above, it’s real. Has to be. The honeymoon isn’t in the alternate universe so (logical conclusion time, y’all) the wedding is real. Besides which it’s sweeps and they’ve clearly faked us out as much as they wanted to before the big episode. If you understood the show that is. The writers never let us down. People who think they do are the equivalent of people in the Castle-universe that still don’t believe what happened to Rick during those 2 months.

• Kourt says:

The first sneak peek for this episode indicates that Beckett has no clue who Castle is. Bare that in mind she never read his books and didn’t go to any of his book signings. His books didn’t get her through her mothers death.

• KCC says:

It appears the premises of the alternate reality is “what if Beckett never read any of Castles books.” The way they first met was she recognized the staging of the first victim in the first show as being from one of his books. If she never read his books she would never have tracked him down to help with that first murder case. It’s an alternate reality which means the writers can do anything they want without having to worry about the history of the show. It could be a lot of fun.

8. Flick says:

Looks so good! Can’t wait!! Bring on the wedding!

9. C.C. says:

Matt, any chance the wedding does not happen during the last two or three minutes of the episode? Looking forward to this episode.

• Kourt says:

Please Matt answer this question. Is the wedding more than 5 minutes?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I have a full Q&A posting closer to airdate,

• AnnieC says:

Yes, please, let the wedding be more than a few minutes tacked on to the end of the episode. IMHO, the Hamptons was the perfect time and place but at least tptb seem to have realized their error and are FINALLY giving fans what they want. Hopefully it will result in higher ratings.

• S. says:

They didn’t make an error. The Hamptons wasn’t the perfect time and place (they had all kinds of drama even getting to having it in the first place only to have it set up to take place in the last few minutes of the show. Clearly a sign.) The big Hamptons wedding wasn’t authentic to Kate at all. Castle’s ratings are pretty high, I’m not sure what your point is. I guess they will get even higher. Don’t get the pearl clutching about having a wedding in a few minutes of the episode when that’s exactly what you’d have gotten in the S6 finale. Apparently those 5 minutes it’s okay and to not have that just ruins everything, but having it in 5 minutes in any other episode is unacceptable? C’mon guys. By the way, how about everybody stop inventing things that the writers did in an episode you haven’t seen for you to get all mad about. “I bet they—” or “They better not–” Just watch the show.

• AnnieC says:

As I said, in my opinion, the Hamptons was a perfect wedding site for Caskett. The entire season 6 finale was a mess and, again, in my opinion, should have focused on a wedding, not the ridiculous non-story of a last minute forgotten wedding in Kate’s past. You have a different opinion. Only problem seems to be that you need everyone to agree with you.

Fact is, the ratings are down from last year.

• shirley says:

I would still ( although, I know it won’t happen) like a wedding in the hamptons.I am just that way. But I can accept a wedding anywhere.

10. tam says:

Thanks for the tidbits so far, Matt. Much appreciated. Looking forward to your interview.
    I cannot wait for this ep!! It’s finally happening. The AU aspect is really amusing to me so far so I’ll enjoy it.
    A word of advice to people, just enjoy the AU and don’t over think it. Not everything will be what you expect and not everything will be explained. So rather than getting stuck in little details, just enjoy that ride. I know I will :)

11. Jerry Taz says:

All the pre-press of these 2 eps weeks out is really, and finally, on target ABC! Get the 3 million lost fans back due to finale of Season 6 for Advertiser $; losing of “The Black List” on Mondays should help, get the 11-12 million fans every week and maybe more? This is what we have waited 7 Seasons for; ENJOY Caskett Fans!

12. Jake says:

Molly Quinn looks terrible with that brunette wig. It really must be “the darkest timeline” in more ways than one…

13. Everyone goes through the what “ifs” in their life and what a better time than the night before ones wedding day. Destiny…were they met to be together? All that we go through makes us who we are. Will Castle and everyone around him be different if he went left instead of right? Intriguing. Looking forward to this one. Don’t let my fantasy down in the end, I am a cup full kinda person.

14. Rich Abey says:

The last time I remember being genuinely intrigued by a reality-altering episode other than on Lost was when Grey’s Anatomy tried it out, and boy was that a blast. So very high hopes for this episode!
    P.S. This means that Kate never found solace from her tragedy in Rick’s words. So how come she ended up in the NYPD…she read another crime writer’s work to remove herself from the darkness?
    Also if Rick is transported to this alternate reality with his memories from this reality intact, what happens to alternate-Rick…does he not exist or is he blissfully ignorant of another Richard Castle running around?

15. mike says:

Loooove the black outfit on Stana. Very hot.

16. Anneliese says:

I love castle and not just the people that are in it but the people behind scean. I am not watching the 7 season of castle because I am getting it on DVD Love Castle Lots