Ratings: NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D. and POI Rise, NBC Slate Slips, Flash Ticks Down

ADRIANNE PALICKI

Leading out of a sliiiightly beefier 8 o’clock hour, ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this Tuesday drew 4.4 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating (per finals), up a tenth in the demo from last week’s series low.

Opening ABC’s night, a Halloween special thing did 3.8 mil/1.1, improving on the 3 mil/1.0 that Selfie/the since-snuffed Manhattan Love Story most recently averaged. And at 10 pm, Forever (5 mil/1.1) was down a tenth.

Elsewhere….

CBS | NCIS (17.5 mil/2.6) and Person of Interest (9.7 mil/1.7) each added some viewers and two tenths in the demo, while NCIS: New Orleans (16.1 mil/2.3) ticked down a tenth.

THE CW | The Flash (3.5 mil/1.4) and Supernatural (1.9 mil/0.8) each ticked down a tenth in the demo.

NBC | The Voice (11.4 mil/2.9) slipped 5 and 12 week-to-week, Marry Me (5.6 mil/1.5) was down 17 percent in the demo, About a Boy (4.4 mil/1.2) fell 14 percent to a series low and Chicago Fire (7.2 mil/1.7) dipped 10 percent.

FOX | World Series Game 6 coverage drew 13.4 mil and a 3.5.

1. EJ says:

Cancellation announcement for Forever on Friday night, perhaps?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Maybe not so fast. LUCKY 7 did a 0.7 before getting the hook. MIND GAMES, too. KILLER WOMEN was kept on the air (for another week, at least) with a 0.7. Plus, as @TVMoJoe has noted, FOREVER is building on SHIELD’s audience and doing well with da ladies. (This is where I annually remind that BODY OF PROOF finaled with 7.5 mil and a 1.2.)

• Boiler says:

Thank you for BoP comment.

• Citygirl says:

LOLOLOL I have loved Ioan Gruffud since the 90’s when he was the lead in the A&E Miniseries – “Horatio Hornblower”. He looked good then at 25 and now he even looks better since he has matured! There was talk at one time that his name was thrown in the barrel to be the next James Bond, but was too young at the time; hence Daniel Craig being selected. Now, he would make a PERFECT Bondf!!!

• maria says:

I’d pay good money to see him as Bond. (Not that i want to see Daniel Craig’s run come to an end, but obviously it will at some point…)

• Ohhhh, I hope you are right. I love Forever and I need at least some closure on “Adam” and/or why Henry keeps staying alive

• Moment says:

The cancelation of Forever will come, but I suspect it won’t happen until it has aired the rest of its episodes. There’s no chance it will be pulled from the schedule.

• georgiamadman says:

Forever is the best new show this Fall besides Flash. But I’m a 56 yr old male so no one wants my demo.

• Moment says:

Well I hope the show has an ending of sorts. No matter how hard people try and spin the numbers, there’s no chance it will ever be renewed.

• Citygirl says:

@Moment: And you know this HOW????? If ABC moved it, perhaps to another night, the ratings would improve It is up against POI and Chicago Fire – two heavy hitters.

• Moment says:

The low ratings. Moving it won’t make in the way of a difference to the numbers, it needs to uptick a good 5-6 tenths to be worth renewing, and that’s unlikely to happen.

• Calico Buffalo says:

Well, I’m 73 and Forever, at least for me, is sort of iffy. Not sure why, but it just doesn’t hold my interest. The Flash however, makes my blood rush….Woo,Hoo!!

• Kathy says:

And I’m a 59-year-old female, and no network cares about my demo, either. The fact that people my age have more money to spend than the twentysomethings the nets so covet has gone flying over the heads of the network programmers for decades.

2. Missy Kelly says:

so these “down” numbers mean approximately the same amount of people were watching last night as well as last week. Only this week, they watched the baseball game. So, next week, numbers will be up as baseball will be over

3. Eric7740 says:

The Flash is amazing!!! I’m enjoying it more that Arrow right now, and I love me some Arrow!!! Come on Flash fans!!! The show is getting better and better!!!

4. Iakovos says:

ABC would be wise to cultivate FOREVER, allow it some time to find its way. It is a good show. It may do better on another night.

5. Drew says:

It probably helps that Agents of SHIELD is gaining a lot of better actors this year, with better characters to play. The stories themselves are still weak, but the new cast is far more compelling than Ward, Sky or May (which I hate adding to the list because I’ve always been a fan of Ming-Na Wen, but the character is so one dimensional it hurts).
    I’m still torn about whether I think this show will survive the season or not. If it were any other show, I would say that it would be canceled without question. But it isn’t just a show, it’s a billboard for Marvel/Disney movies, so I think they might keep it around. Agent Carter might do better, but I’m not sure that it could promote the new movies as well as AoS, because it’s set in the past.

• JC1 says:

I have to agree, actually. I’ve thought that more than once this season, that the new cast members are far more interesting than most of the old cast.

6. Tran says:

With a full season pick up already in the works, NCIS: NOLA is one of the best new shows on a Tuesday night. The other is of course The Flash.

7. origo says:

i hope marry me will go up once the baseball over next week. i know it’s not perfect and a lot of people compare it to the happy endings, but it has a lot of funny moments last night and i really enjoy it.

8. Coal says:

The more I watch SHIELD the more I realize that it would be killing it on CBS. Putting a procedural/action drama/comic book-esque show on a female skewing network wasn’t really bright. Unfortunately people view their TV’s according to the perception of the network, not on the content it delivers. Would I be wrong to assume that SHIELD could deliver similar if not better numbers than Scorpion ? P.S. I know they are not on the same night.

• thor says:

SHIELD would never go on CBS though as it’s MARVEL. As the parent company, Disney would never allow that. It’s ABC or nothing.

• Brigid says:

CBS could never handle a show with this mush charisma. If it was a lame, boring procedural with little to no humor and everything tied up in a pretty bow after an hour, than yes, it would work on CBS. It belongs on ABC or The CW because they are the only network stations that take risks year after year!

• Coal says:

Thanks for proving my point on perception. This “pretty little bow after an hour” phrase you people like using makes me laugh. So you would rather watch a show for 22 episodes, get jerked around for nine months and yet nothing gets resolved, because oh we need to end on a cliff hanger so we can do it all over again next season. As for the CW taking risks, which CW are you taking about exactly ?

• Sara says:

Well, remember when CBS had Moonlight which was not part of their usual stuff, but was a vampire show? Yeah, they totally biffed it on that one with the way they handled it. They know what works for them. So what if it fits a certain perception for the channel?

• Boiler says:

And how is that working for CW and ABC??

• Sara says:

Well, the CW just had its biggest cumulative ratings ever with The Flash premiere (once they took into account all the DVR info and even without the DVR playback it was still a huge premiere for them, which is holding fairly steady). So, looks like they aren’t hurting TOO bad.

• ComeOn says:

Scorpion has Justin Lin direct it’s pilot and has been consistently stupid/bonker/fun, so far. It’s clear from the moment it started that it is a light weight procedural.
      AoS tries to be procedural with overall arc. They should look at Person of Interest. Now that’s a show that started as usual CBS procedural then next thing you know all those small moments that didn’t seen to mean much turn out to affect everything. Not even Whedon was that skillful with Buffy/Angel etc.!

• Kathy says:

Because women don’t watch procedurals, action dramas or shows derived from comic books? Seriously?

• Coal says:

You miss my point. I’m not saying ALL women watch certain types of shows and ALL men watch a another, however certain types of show appeal more to one gender than the other. Example Rom-Coms appeal more some to females than males and Action flicks vice-versa.

9. Nate says:

Damn Flash went down a lot

10. Meg Roy says:

I know it’s only October, but should Agents of SHIELD fans be worried yet?

• Moment says:

Not really no.

• Mike V. says:

I think the DVR numbers it rakes in are still pretty solid. I’m no Network/Studio exec, but I’m going to guess Agents of SHIELD will at least survive until the end of season 2 for any more potential tie-ins/promos prior to the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron, and to cap off Phase 2 of the MCU.

11. Brigid says:

Agents of SHIELD is the best show you’re not watching!!! People didn’t really give it a chance to deliver and now it’s better every week and now they are missing out. I fell in love with the show because of the character development and the chemistry that I saw from the beginning. I watch each episode twice because it’s just that good and has now become my favorite show. Crazy good episode last night, I’m not sure I can wait 2 weeks for the next. :)

12. Kyle says:

Shouldn’t NBC switch ‘Marry Me’ and ‘About a Boy’?

13. BrittBrat says:

It surprises me that more people don’t watch Person of Interest! Easily one of the best shows on tv.
    I hope ABC doesn’t cancel Forever. Give it a chance!!!
    Agents of Shield is improving. I hope they continue to improve, so their ratings go up!
    Chicago Fire was hilarious last night. When Newhall ran out with that dog, I couldn’t stop laughing!

• Coal says:

Person of Interest is currently the BEST thing on network Tv at the moment, it does get a lot of viewers, but if you mean from the 18 to 49 demographic according to Nielson their “sophisticated” palates have taste for seeing people singing, dancing or having complicated romances.

• me2 says:

Yes! I LOVE POI! It’s the most intelligent and well written show on network tv, yet no one ever talks about it! Is it CBS or Warner Bros that controls where POI can be seen? I know WB actually owns (not sure if that’s the right word) the show, and either Plagemen or Nolan said that WB controls that. It took over 2 seasons to get POI on demand! The show might actually be in the top ten overall (maybe even top five?) if they stopped being so stingey with it!

• ComeOn says:

POI is a WB production, they own the rights. CBS pays for it and does have a say in story and production. It’s all started due to WB tried to keep Johan Nolan happy since he works so closely with his brother. And the premises were based on Johan’s left over Batman research/ideas. I don’t think anyone really have any expectation on it until CBS & WB saw the pilot’s testing results. Another good thing with it being a WB production is they, for some reason, like their TV shows to have closure as much as possible. They always try to negotiate to have shorter last season to wrap up everything. So it’s a good thing its a WB production in the long run.

• Georgia Madman says:

I stopped watching POI when I cut the cable and went to Roku. CBS doesn’t allow Hulu + to do their shows so I just stopped watching CBS. Foolish on CBS’s part IMHO.

• drhenning says:

I suspect CBS will have a ROKU channel when their service starts… You could watch POI on your local OTA CBS….

• ProfessorPreis says:

CBS is network, you should still be able to watch it without a cable package.

• Bobbee says:

Hey, me too. I stopped watching all CBS shows when I cut the cord and got my Roku. Netflix does have 9 seasons of Criminal Minds though but that is the only CBS show I now watch.

• maria says:

Oh some of us were watching POI and enjoying the heck out of it…until they killed off Carter.

14. cosmoman11 says:

So NCIS finally had a brief discussion about Tony and Ziva. So who is going to be the new love interest? FBI or ATF?

15. christine says:

I can’t get into “Flash”. The actor is engaging but the rest of the cast is sort of flat. He has zero chemistry with Iris. Of course Arrow has no chemistry with Laurel either. It was a relief to see Felicity this week.

• Fido says:

Iris is the Captain’s daughter, right ?! Well maybe there is a point to this non-chemistry, it being the whole reason why they aren’t together and work best as friends. Of course if the series tries to force a love-triangle on us with the inevitable “ain’t it sweet, they finally got together, as it was always meant to be” well then that’ll be foolish move and be coming outta nowhere. But at the mo I’m totally ok with him longing for her and her just not feeling it. Keep them as friends and give him a female-villain akin to Batman’s Catwoman. :)

16. Moment says:

The Voice seems wasted on Marry Me and About a Boy. I cant see a future for Marry Me, its lead in dependant and if you remove the Voice it will collapse.

17. Jim Petty says:

I hate it when NCIS and whichever NCIS flavor is following it use the same plot twist one right after the other. SPOILER ALERT- That said, I think the original handled it better if only because I didn’t expect that kind of performance, in the interrogation room scene from that young of a girl.

18. Fran says:

Oh Forever… Wish it was paired with Castle. Oh well, I will continue to enjoy it while it lasts and hope the cancelation announcement will miraculously not happen.

• Katherine215 says:

I still can’t understand why more Castle fans aren’t giving it a chance. Many of the things I like about Castle are present in Forever. I can’t see ABC pairing them together, but I do wish they’d do a crossover or something similar to draw people’s attention to Forever.

• Fran says:

Hi Katherine, I don’t get it either. To me, its just as much fun. Maybe its too similar in some ways? I don’t know. I don’t see ABC pairing them together either since their Monday night lineup has pretty much always remained the same… But a crossover would be fun to see!

• maria says:

This Castle fan loves Forever.

• Citygirl says:

I’m with you, Fran. I really like Forever, so much that I don’t DVR nor watch CHicago Fire (also because I can only DVR two shows at a time so I do Forever and POI). I just catch Chicago Fire On Demand. “Forever” has more fans than ABC realizes.

• Abby says:

They should pair it with Castle. I agree.

19. Suzy says:

Really HATE the video pop-up that started playing while I was trying to read the article. It’s placement on my screen made it impossible to get rid of it so had to let it play. ANNOYING stuff like this makes me think twice as to whether or not I’ll be reading any more of your articles!

• Moment says:

Turn off the sound on your computer, there’s an option in the bottom corner of Windows. Also most of the adverts that load up on here can be closed by clicking the top corner. In fairness though, the adverts aren’t intrusive, it’s just a one and done thing when the site loads.

20. Bobbee says:

I get The Flash going down, it is having a rough start. It hasn’t really hit a groove yet. I’m not sure I will stay with it.