Damian Lewis, Paul Giamatti to Lead Showtime Drama Pilot Billions

Damian Lewis Cast Billions

It’s Showtime again for Damian Lewis.

The Emmy-winning Homeland actor and Emmy winner/Academy Award nominee Paul Giamatti (John Adams) have landed leading roles on the pay cabler’s upcoming drama pilot Billions, it was announced Friday.

The series, which counts Brian Koppelman (The Illusionist) among its executive producers, Paul Giamattitakes a forensic look at the world of high finance. Lewis will play ambitious hedge-fund king Bobby “Axe” Axelrod, who is set to go head-to-head with Giamatti’s U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhodes.

Neil Burger (Divergent) will direct the pilot, which films in New York in early 2015.

Your thoughts on Lewis and Giamatti’s casting? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. webly3 says:

I keep reading the title as Billons and it’s really annoying me… but yay for them

2. Tran says:

This casting news should be good at least if Homeland continues to have another Brody-less season or two.

• johnhelvete says:

Brody is dead. One of expressions that is frequently used incorrectly about TV shows on the internet is “jumping the shark”. Brody being alive after being hung in Iran, would be a time where posters would be correct in using the term “jumping the shark”.

3. johnhelvete says:

Damn I thought Brody was still alive on Homeland :) Seriously though sounds like a good role and 90% of actors would be crazy to turn down lead roles on cable series in order to play supporting roles in mediocre films, especially when the 6 month cable series shoot still makes it possible to play a supporting role in the occasional mediocre film.

4. M3rc Nate says:

I dont know about the premise, could be a blast, could be crap…(though the title makes me think a show about the life of a Gates/Allen/Steve Jobs type Billionaire would be AWESOME. Watching them go from nothingness and outcast in the 80’s to running a huge multi-billion dollar company in the current (2014), with all the lavishness and drama and betrayal and philanthropy and greed you can imagine.

But, overall, im glad he is going to be back on TV.

5. Bwhit says:

I will watch. I’m trying to stick with Homeland mainly for Rupert Friend but what Carrie did again last week is incredibly annoying and cheapens the Carrie/Brody dynamic they established and really made me question the writers’ motives. I was hoping Damien Lewis would do something soon so I like this news.

6. Georgie says:

Sounds like anothet winner for SHowtime. AMC, Hbo and Netflix should be shaking in ther boots. I smell multiple Emmys.

7. Debbie shephetd says:

lewis is a superb actor

8. Linda Temple says:

Just finished watching the cameo spot of Damien Lewis on Homeland. My heart jumped for a moment and then it came crashing to a halt. With Billions set to film…..Carrie will NEVER get her Brody back. Too sad to speak any more!!

9. Kathryn Peterson says:

I love both actors and can’t wait for the new series since it was disappointing when Brody was killed and Paul G is just plain awesome. Wonder if Damien L will be able to continue with his British accent or have to adopt the American accent again.

10. Judy D. says:

So happy that Damian Lewis will be back on TV!! He is an excellent actor and couldn’t believe that he was killed off on Homeland. Homeland isn’t the same without Brody, but I can’t stop watching.

11. Arlene says:

Thrilled to see Damian Lewis back. Miss him on homeland

12. Neal Egnozzi says:

Both are brilliant at their craft, excellent chioce!!!!

13. Peter says:

Couldn’t ask for two finer actor.

14. Dyan says:

I want Brody back on Homeland..
    However, i will watch Damian Lewis on Billions too.
    Can’t believe Homeland had his character die. BIG mistake.

15. Lorna Ganaway says:

Love the show and Lewis but was so disappointed they picked Giamanty because he ruined the show for me.
    Newer could stand the sight of this man and have heard the same from others. When Giamanty comes on is when I go to the fridge.