Grey's Anatomy Scoop: Kelly McCreary Promoted to Series Regular

Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Maggie

Meredith’s new sis is staying put.

Grey’s Anatomy has promoted Kelly McCreary (AKA Mer’s surprise half-sib Maggie Pierce) to a full-fledged series regular, TVLine has learned.

McCreary joined ABC’s medical soap at the end of Season 10, when Maggie was hired at Grey Sloan Memorial as the head of cardiothoracic surgery. Her icy relationship with Mer began to thaw considerably in Thursday’s episode, as the sisters bonded over mother’s journal.

Thoughts? Is Maggie starting to grow on you? Hit the comments!

1. Rachel says:

I still just don’t like her, personally the character just seems so dry and I hate that they’re always showing her at her worst. I must admit that I do like Kelly as an actress though.

• SM says:

I feel like they (shonda, the writers) are just grasping at straws trying to create new storylines and its not working. I love Grey’s, but gosh its been so boring the past couple seasons. It has gone way downhill after Mark and Lexie died.

• Lets be honest…this show has been struggling (at least critically) since season 4 or 5. The first three seasons were so ridiculously strong and critically acclaimed that its sad to see where its gone and how many times its managed to jump the proverbial shark.

• Normandy says:

The show has been struggling for a while now. They have such a huge cast and don’t really know what to do for them. Also, in order to create conflict, everyone has to act like bratty teenagers.

• SMatheson says:

agreed

• Saabgirlatx says:

I struggled with her but then it occurred to me that perhaps they are making her cold and unfeeling like Ellis was – to show how she is more like Ellis than Mer. Could really take or leave her storyline but happy that Richard finally gets a child!

2. Sara says:

Oh, wonderful. She’s been everywhere in the first 4 episodes, and she was just a guest star. Imagine now as series regular. UGH

3. Her storyline is not realistic. She’s 5 years youngers than meredith and yet she’s already the head of cardio… that means that she skipped what 5 grades? ridiculous.

• M says:

How old do you think Mer is?… Mer has been an attending for many season’s now… There’s nothing wrong with her being head of cardio

• Ashley says:

also, unlike many of them who started their medical education early… I believe meredith took a few years off to travel europe with her friend sadie, the girl from season 5…

• Abby says:

Let’s be fair – Mer was in her mid-to-late 20s when the show even began, and now its 11 years later. I feel like Mer is at minimum 35 but probably older.

• Shar says:

I think Mer figured it out for her to be born in 1983 which makes her 31…. her age rang bells for me too. She’s way to young to be head of cardio.

• thank you! But nothing makes sense, cristina was head of cardio after being an attending for what ? 2 years? Or actually just after her fellowship… doesn’t make sense at all.

• Pedro says:

Cristina was a fellow until last season. Literally, her first year as an attending, she will be the director of a huge hospital.

Although the show has been on for 10 seasons, season 1-3 were one year and seasons 4-5 were one year. So, basically, 7 years have passed by.

• Marie says:

It’s a TV show – of course it isn’t realistic, most shows are not. But it is TV land and in TV land, surgeons become heads of departments decades before it is realistic, so go along for the ride. The average age of a real graduating resident in cardiothoracic surgery is 35-36 and since a recent graduate isn’t likely to be made head of the department immediately, her position at her age is utterly preposterous.

• SMatheson says:

yes, stupid on the huge titles for young doctors

4. Arie says:

Great news! I love her!

5. NC says:

Shocker (she says sarcastically).

6. Lizzie says:

She’s starting to grow on me, especially after the last episode and it’s a little miracle consider how much I hated her at the beginning… Let’s see how she will connect with the other characters, maybe she”ll relax a little now that her big secret is out !

7. tw says:

Don’t much care about her relationship with Meredith, but her storyline with Richard has a lot of potential. Her being Richard’s daughter is much more interesting than Mer’s half-sister.

8. ggny says:

Eh i would much rather have them focus on the huge cast they already have but i guess it makes sense. She is just another character atm she really doesnt seem all that great of a character but im guessing she will grow

9. Ray says:

McLisperson is now series reg? Ugh.

10. joey says:

So happy for her, she’s my fave on the show, without her it would still be the same boring storylines featuring Mer/Der, Alex/internwhatsherface, Jack/April-not a good match and poor Stephanie following everyone around looking for something to do.

11. sarah j says:

Do not like her. I do not see her growing on me either.

12. I’m cutting the character some slack until they give her some plot lines where she gets chummy with another character — it is hard to like “loner” characters in a drama/comedy that is so personality driven. Ellis was only likable when she was interacting with Richard. They need to give the new kid a buddy or something.

13. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that the show make her regular. I can’t wait to learn more about her background in future episode.

14. Mike R. says:

Hardly a shock, personally I’m shocked this didn’t happen before the premiere. I like Maggie well enough and love McCreary so I’m happy with this news.

15. Jen says:

I love this. Wasn’t sure what they would do after Sandra Oh left ( my favorite on the show ) and I am pleasantly surprised at how interested I still am in the show. She is like a breath of fresh air and I LOVE how she first met Derek.

16. behzadbyhimself says:

I find her pretty impressive so good!

17. Jessica says:

Another character, on this bloated cast. MEH. I still don’t like her, and they are doing a bad job portray her as the best and better than every other surgeon who appeared on this show.

18. lana says:

sad news for me, I can’t stand her characther…..good now she gonna steal more screentime to Jackson and April. the cast is so large we don’t need another addition

19. Mika02 says:

Yay love her

20. Sandy says:

I don’t care for Maggie. I know I never will. I’m tired of this situation between Derek & Meredith is overdoing it now. Move on. I really miss Christina.

• SMatheson says:

All the anger between characters is really bringing the show down – except last night when Callie finally woke up and cut Arizona loose. Come on, writers, find some good storylines. Go back to the beginning seasons and see what you did. I still love Derek – so bring in a new Mark character that rivals him, etc., etc. All that stuff worked. Otherwise, the show is getting stale.

21. FDB says:

Omg why?! This better mean GA is getting rid of at least 3 characters.. Ugh. One can only hope..

22. Dennis says:

Bring back Izzy!

23. Holly says:

Maggie is a good addition to the show so congrats to Kelly.

24. Heidi says:

Nope, don’t care for her & she will not grow on me…. :). Zero personality & Mer has had enough sisters brought back……
    I would like a little more excitement as in the former years… Perhaps something with Alex as I miss the ‘relationships’ there used to be between Mark, Lexie, Alex, etc. intertwined in various storylines….. JMO

25. nobody special says:

ick

26. CK says:

Her delivery is identical to Olivia on Scandal – and that seems to grate on me the most.

• Tom says:

I totally agree. I think part of that is that when shonda originally conceived this idea of Maggie, she probably had Kerry Washington in mind but it never came to fruition and now it’s too late so we have this one.

27. Susan says:

I like her & think it brings a great new angle to the show.

28. Erika says:

I actually really like her. So… I consider this to be happy news.

29. Babygate says:

I like Kelly. I like her acting. She’s sweet and cute and funny in a very organic way. Unlike Jerrika (Stephanie) who is not nearly as funny/cute as she thinks she is. And I am really enjoying the sister storyline with Meredith. Although, it feels a bit rushed. It took Mer way longer to accept Lexie and she didn’t need any confirmation for that since Thatcher was there to verify that she indeed had two half sisters. Still, I’m enjoying it a lot and Kelly is very easy to watch. And honestly, who didn’t see this coming? Amelia is way more irrelevant to the show and she was made a regular. I mean, I was way happy because I love Amelia, but in the overall context of the story, Maggie is way, way more relevant. At this point, Amelia is still just a background player. Anywho, good call. Now, just get rid of Stephanie and we’ll be all good….

30. lisa says:

I say eh..I would rather they get rid of her and bring Addison back. Now there is a character that actually adds something to the show.

31. Abby says:

I like Maggie and never hated her arrival or the plot twist (I hope she’s Richard’s happy ever after, I love exploring him as a surprise dad!) so this works for me!

32. abuela12 says:

as far as ages go, I think baby sis Maggie is 30 – that is a little young to head up the cardio dept…but I like her!

• Tom says:

She was born in 1982 which makes her 32/33. It’s confirmed that she skipped some grades and flew through med school so it’s not horribly inconceivable. Plus Mer is about 37/38 and took a year off in between college and med school.

33. Julia says:

Ugh, not a fan. Is it just me or does her lisp drive anyone else crazy?

34. pamela says:

I like her character because she is one of the most normal characters on the show and that is a refreshing change! I’m sure the drama will follow though because it makes for television.

35. thisismenow says:

I am so thankful for this. I love there is fresh blood on the show.

36. TinLV says:

I like the actress and the storyline.. I think the character will grow on me.. and everybody else… ..with a little more time. They need to establish backstory that she was a prodigy who graduated early from high school to explain how she is such an accomplished cardiologist by the time she is 31. I don’t find it unbelievable that the daughter of Ellis and Richard would be a prodigy.

37. trident says:

It’s such an unrealistic stretch and contrivance. Yet another “secret” sister for Meredith? And even if she were some kind of Doogie Howser child prodigy, it’s unrealistic for her to be head of the department. They should have just made her Richard’s long lost daughter.

38. luvtheheaven says:

My first reaction to this headline: Yay! I love Maggie. She’s been my fav part of the current season so far. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for her and also for Amelia on GA. So glad they’re both full stars now, honestly.

39. Matty says:

I consider Maggie the character a total fail. She hasn’t had the impact I expected her to have. Frankly, the whole season has been kind of dull this year.

40. Sutton says:

I don’t like her, she has zero redeeming qualities. She’s just pissed off all the time. This season is lame.

41. Doris says:

This is good news.

42. Izzie says:

I miss george.

43. Ann says:

I don’t like Maggie. She is cold and distant. Exactly like Mer and Christina were. Exactly like Ellis. Maggie is perfect and welcome. Lots of room to grow. At first I thought Mer accepted her too easily but then I thought it shows growth on Mer’s part.

Can we honestly say we were not expecting a Richard/ Ellis child? As for all of us wanting characters to leave remember Calle and the mercy west people were hated for years. Now as I read through I see more Calzona, more Jackson and April. Sometimes you have to sit back and enjoy the ride. Shonda and company have taken us for some strange rides. We didn’t like them all but we rode and got to a better place.

44. Mara says:

I don’t like the character and feel the actress portraying her is rather wooden and one note. I agree with many of the other comments — cast is too big already.

45. Carrie says:

I like her… she is kind of “cool” but it’s realistic, people aren’t always warm, friendly and easy to like. She’s interesting and there’s potential for storylines about her relationship with Richard and Meredith. It was a shock for them all and who knows how people in real life would react to something like that? She does seem like we’ve heard Ellis Grey was (as a doctor) They had to start bringing in new people on the show. It must be hard to find something different week after week. Sometimes it does seem like kind of a stretch. I think it works for me because I like her, the actress (as an actress).

46. Madonna says:

Really, why did you have to break them up tonight Callie & Arizona? Bad, just bad real life I don’t think so. They can make it work, so please get them happily together.

47. Holly says:

Well next week’s episode looks good. Jackson and April. Finally!

48. MzTeaze says:

I really like this character. Mer has been insufferable this season…and they have murdered the character known as Bailey.