Nashville Recap: Two Dads, No Waiting

Nashville Season 3 Recap

The best moments in Nashville always happen when Juliette lets her inner trailer park out to play. And this week, when she drops a huge reveal on Avery, it’s double-wide city, all the way.

I’m not saying that texting your ex, “I’m pregnant. It’s yours” isn’t the classiest way to drop some life-changing news… no, actually, I am saying that. Only Juliette “pink macaroni” Barnes would dither for weeks about whether or not to tell her baby daddy about their forthcoming spawn, then do it out of spite in that manner. I’m shocked she didn’t use emoji.

Elsewhere, Deacon finds out that Will prefers dudes (!), Zoey sees an opportunity and takes it, Gunnar finds out he’s a dad, too (!!), and Rayna goes bowling. Give your Stetson a big ol’ Luke Wheeler tip, and let’s launch into what happened in “Road Happy.”

OMG! | Juliette is just pregnant enough that her tour costumes are getting too tight, yet too pregnant to give a damn about doing anything other than laying on her couch. Sounds about right. When Emily once more reminds her boss that Avery has a right to know about his child, Juliette peevishly grabs her phone and texts her ex the news. Just like that! When I saw last week’s preview, I assumed that perhaps Emily or Glenn got a hold of Ju’s phone and did the deed as a way to force Juliette’s hand, but… nope. Maybe Juliette wanted the potential out of following up her missive with, “JK! LOL”?

Avery gets the message while performing his court-mandated community service on the side of a highway, and by the time he can reply, Juliette won’t return his calls. So he shows up on the set of her movie (side note: how’d he get all the way to her trailer?) and, when she won’t let him in, shouts about the pregnancy for everyone (OK, just Noah West) to hear.

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to mention that Glenn’s hair is DEFINITELY BACK, guys. Oh Glenn, bald is beautiful, and that toupee is too much. #Bringbackthedome! Ju’s manager reprises his disappointed dad act from last week and gives Avery a stern dressing down. “Juliette was raised in chaos,” he warns. “There’s no way I’m gonna let the same thing happen to her child.” Aww. Inside the trailer, Juliette looks on in horror.Nashville Season 3 Recap

BACK IT UP! | She’s got a similar look on her face a while later, as the production preps to film its first sex scene. Noah takes the initiative and tells the director how to frame the shot (okaaaaaay?) so that Ju’s baby bump won’t be noticeable. “Don’t worry. Your secret’s safe with me,” Noah whispers when Ju climbs on top of him. I expect her to flip out, maybe just a little, but she seems touched. Because, hormones?

Noah shows up at Juliette’s tour dressing room soon after and makes it clear that he’s interested in her. Zoey — who accidentally learns about Ju’s kiddo — is starstruck, but meeting Noah is hardly the best thing that’s going to happen to her that night: When Juliette has trouble breathing and staggers off stage during the show, Zoey steps up and slips right into the last verse of “Tell That Devil” as if her pants were made of butter. (Don’t worry; right before she passes out in Noah’s arms, Juliette makes a mental reminder to cut a bitch as soon as she’s feeling up to snuff.)

CRUISING FOR A BRUISING | At Jeff’s snide urging, Will asks his trainer to sign a nondisclosure agreement, which leads to an ugly moment where the meathead wants Will to admit that they’re seeing each other… and Will will only concede that their tryst is only about sex. Mr. Lexington then heads out to a nearby park, where he looks for lovin’ but finds a couple of gay bashers who beat him senseless, steal his wallet and step on his butt on their way out. (Side note: Anyone else notice that weird little exit?)

Deacon happens to be around when Will returns to the hotel and, with a little intel from the cabbie who drove the younger man back, pieces together that Mr. Lexington is gay. Will doesn’t exactly confirm anything, and Deacon seems a little awkward about the whole thing, but he assures Will that he’s there if he wants to talk.

Back in Nashville, Layla wants Jeff to take her album more seriously and possibly even let her write a few songs for it. He wants her to shut up and sing the songs put in front of her. And while I hope that Layla will run home to pen a ditty called “Smirky Turtle Go to Shell,” she instead cries, peruses the pills in her vanity and breaks a mirror.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY | The most important things to know about Gunnar’s storyline this week are 1) his ex, Kiley, has a 9.5-year-old son who is totally Gunny’s kid, and 2) steak fries and applesauce is a thing I need to try ASAP. (Side note: No, seriously, Internet, is this an established food combo? Is it good? Report in the comments.)

Getting back to the first point, it’s sweet when Gunnar begs Kiley to tell him the truth about her son: Without his grandmother and Jason, he tearfully reasons, he doesn’t have any family left. But I wonder how he didn’t notice his ex having a complete, nervous stroke every time the boy was even tangentially brought up. Get a poker face, sister! Also worth mentioning: Avery and Gunnar’s make-up chat about what’s best for kids was pretty touching.

GUTTERBALL | Hoping to maximize family togetherness, Rayna and Luke bring their kids to a commercial shoot, but it goes south fast. Even Daphne — agreeable-to-everything Daphne! — tells the First Lady of Country Music that she sucks. When all of the hurt feelings and suspicions of parental inadequacy are addressed, the entire gang goes bowling.

Still, the next night on tour, Rayna is rocked to learn that Teddy let Daphne pierce her ears and Maddie highlight her hair. Sadie listens supportively as Rayna tears up over missing big parts of her daughters’ lives, and when a stagehand comes to bring Ray to the stage, Sadie wonders whether Rayna wants to take a minute. But the redhead presses a few fingers to her eyes, takes a deep breath and pulls herself together LIKE A BOSS.

Now it’s your turn. Are you wondering whether Scarlett will give that guy outside her window a songwriting credit? Are you looking forward to the day that Avery and Juliette get in the same room and talk about what’s going down between them? Is Pam still irking you beyond all belief? And things aren’t going to end well for Zoey, are they? Sound off in the comments!

1. LoloCurray says:

I like Sadie. Give her more and never take her away. Laura Benanti is a charm.

2. Chad Smith says:

Must admit that when Will was getting beaten up all I could think was “Welcome to the O.C. b***h!”

3. Simon says:

Good episode. Infact great start of a season. My favourite part was Juliettes expression when Zoey took the stage (as the writer of this recap perfectly noted) Even though she was about to pass out, her inner diva was like Hell No! Pretty funny.

4. juliemsosa says:

Not sure why, but I’m not 100% convinced that Micah is Gunnar’s. I keep thinking that it might be Jason’s and that Kiley was cheating on Gunnar with Jason.

5. LemonLime says:

Let’s be real here, I’d like to listen to ‘Smurky Turtle Go To Shell’. Taylor Swift needs to get on that ASAP.

6. Carla G says:

First of all keep the steak fries(crispy on the outside, soft in the middle) out of the applesauce! Can’t wait til Zoey is off the show as well as Layla!! All they do is whine and cry.
    Jeff is a necessary evil, as is Teddy.
    Thanks!

7. Carla Krae says:

I don’t know about applesauce, but dipping fries in a chocolate shake is awesome.

8. Cathy says:

French fries and hot fudge.

9. Charissa29 says:

This would be a far less entertaining show if Juliette ever learns how to get out of her own damn way!

10. amanda says:

Why is Rayna acting like she’s never gone on tour before. Ugh

• Shira says:

It’s the first time she has gone on tour when her kids (at least her elder daugther) were older than the age she was when her mother died…think that before she felt like she’s not missing too much cause she had everything covered and they’re happy but now it’s different. They’re older and it comes with a much higher price for her.

• MsLiz says:

I think they also made the point that she has to work harder and do more now to promote Highway 65. Her manager said “what got you to the top isn’t going to keep you there.” So she had to add more dates and explain to the girls that she couldn’t come home between shows, etc. I think she used to have more flexibility with her travel and shorter tours.

11. Ruthie says:

I’ve waited all week for Avery and Juliette to kiss and make up! How naive was I! Really hope we don’t have to wait too long. Much better couple than ‘Ruke’

12. Stacia says:

Nevertheless, a lot of dieters notice choosing nutritious foods happens to
    be challenging. Ever found yourself looking at the
    weighing scales and wishing you could lose weight.
    Grey sugar may do but it becomes great to avoid sugar altogether and persist with
    honey.

13. Elsa says:

I have recently become obsessed with Nashville (I just binge-watched the 2 first seasons on Netflix). I have two questions. First: does anyone like the character of Zoey ?! I find her incredibly annoying, she is a bad friend and, in my opinion, has no chemistry whatsoever with Gunnar. Am I alone ?!? And I loved Juliette’s expression at the end when Zoey tried to steal the show. I was not a fan of Hayden Panettiere before this, but it was clearly my loss: she is an amazing actress, very engaging.
    Second question: they can’t go ahead with a Ruke weeding, right !? Rayna and Deacon have to be end-game.

• Jenny says:

I dislike zoey oh so much. No clue how she’s still in the show or why the writers are giving her any more air time. Terrible acting by Chaley too.

• izzieb says:

No, nobody likes Zoey.

• Abby says:

I don’t think you’re alone, but I like Zoey. She’s not perfect but doesn’t have to be.

The Ruke wedding won’t happen, that seems to be the going assumption by most fans. Last week, another person pointed out that since we’ve seen the dress already and it didn’t get ruined, the wedding likely won’t be happening- if it was, the writers would have saved the dress reveal until the wedding episode.

• Jill says:

It’s not just that. Every week they seem to be making Luke more of an ass (with Will, with Deacon, the bad parenting advice). I can’t imagine them letting their lead character marry someone like that. This episode already had Rayna realizing she’s not so happy with the way things are heading.

• Abby says:

Agreed, totally, but I thought that wedding dress observation from last week was a slam dunk. Lots of drama can still be mined from the lead marrying a dbag!

14. CoryRox says:

Smirky Little Turtle Go To Shell, just made my whole morning.

15. Kristen says:

What was Zoey thinking? I know she was telling Gunner no one could see her on stage, but really? You are a back-up singer Zoey! You don’t need to be seen!
    I can’t wait until Juliette and Avery talk! Rayna has no right to be upset by Teddy taking the girls out. She needs a reality check! Plus Luke posting a picture of the “family” on his twitter is interesting, since Rayna didn’t want her daughters on Social Media??

• Marcie says:

They’re setting it up to Teddy signing a recording contract for the girls with Jeff Fordham, which, in my opinion, he would never do – no matter how much they try to set it up. Teddy and Rayna are always on the same page when it comes to the girls.

16. izzieb says:

I am wondering who that was in the previews for next week dropping their clothing in front of Jeff? The obvious would be Layla, but I’m wondering if Miss Sadie isn’t still angling for Queen of the World. Something just doesn’t ring true about her over-the-top devotion to Rayna.

One other weird note – why did Back-Up-Singer-Stalker-Biker-Chick-Pam walk so quickly away from Deacon (and so far) just to answer a call from her sister? I know the writers got her away from him so that he could witness Will’s beat-up state, but it looked like she was on a mission to go somewhere!

• Kathy says:

I’m feeling like Luke has set her onto Deacon to keep him away from Rayna. He’s said a couple of snarky things to her in this episode “Like I thought you had better taste” (or something along those lines) Just the way she’s on him like white on rice just doesn’t ring true….

• Care says:

Could her sister be Sadie?

• Dana says:

That’s not Jeff – it’s Teddy. I am guessing the woman from this week’s party and she’s not who she says she is or she isn’t being completely honest. IDT that Teddy would sign willingly – but maybe for blackmail.

• izzieb says:

Ohhhh…….I totally thought that was Jeff. Ok, that makes sense – and yep, I bet some blackmail is in order. Especially if she was an “escort” as another commenter suggested, and he’s the mayor.

• neaorlean says:

Even if that’s the plan, what does Jeff think will happen? Teddy might agree and in a weird universe where they won’t need Rayna’s signature he’ll sign them up, and then what. How will Jeff make them sing for him? I know Maddie really wants to sing, but would she do it against her mom’s will, with Edgehill?

17. Abby says:

I hope Scarlett DOES give the homeless man a writing credit. And I hope it becomes clearer where her story is going soon enough.

Zoey’s journey will be intriguing, now…potential attention from labels, a boyfriend with a kid (for now – their days ate numbered and this ep started putting the pieces in place to split them up), and getting revenge from Juliette that won’t be pretty.

Noah West might be a nice guy, but he needs to get out of the way! Even if Avery and Juliette don’t be together forever, they’re having a baby together and need to grow up. Ideally, they grow up together!

18. Iakovos says:

The Will story line is taking its good old time and that is OK. Series these days seem to put us on a roller coaster without suspense or character. Loving newbie Sadie A LOT (!) and enjoying a villain in the piece (Jeff Fordham). Do miss when the cast is not all together but that will come. NASHVILLE seems to have found its stride after losing the weight that was Rayna’s family and the dull political plots. Loving any chance for musical performances. Wonder what will come of Layla… suicide? She cannotbe long for this world. The vicitm of showbiz dreams. That caveat is always important to note in stories like NASHVILLE’s.

19. Care says:

Kim, love your recaps! They make my day. FYI, potato pancakes are served with apple sauce, so that may be where the idea of dipping french fries in it came from.

20. Jakay says:

I wouldn’t hate Noah and Pam so much if either of the actors was any good. They’re both just awful and can’t deliver a line to save their souls. The idea that he’d be helping Juliette out on how to make a movie is just silly — he’d be far more believable as another country singer trying to break into acting — and Deacon keeping wooden, unpleasant Pam around is just as silly.

21. I don’t think there’s much Juliette can do with Zoey, because Zoey could always spill on why Juliette had to leave mid-song. She could basically blackmail her if she likes

• Abby says:

I bet that the press speculation from her leaving the stage and passing out/going to hospital will blow the secret before Zoey can…

22. neaorlean says:

Am I seriously the only one who can’t stand Sadie? Everybody else seems to love her, and I can’t even look at her, the way she kisses Rayna’s ass for no reason is just pathetic. I have no idea if she means the things she says or what her deal is, but it’s annoying and I don’t care about her at all. And if she’s going to be kissing Rayna’s ass in the future, I suggest she kisses Rayna’s other ass (Luke) and at least free us from that snooze fest. I also don’t care about the Gunnar-has-a-kid story, I wish they’d just forget about that, and if they won’t, I wish the kid was cuter and his name wasn’t Mikah. I’m a hater today.
    As for the fries and apple sauce – you guys been to the UK? They love their apple sauce.

• neaorlean says:

Oh, forgot about the Zoey thing. Nobody likes Zoey and we’d like her to go away, please. But Juliette should be grateful that she took over and the whole thing didn’t turn into a huge scene, with cameras in her face and people asking for their money back, and magazines gossiping about it. That said, we clearly saw that Zoey is no better than a back up singer – she might have felt good on the stage, but the difference between Juliette’s performance and Zoey’s was just ridiculous. Zoey was, as always, incredibly dull.

• Amy says:

lol…your post made me laugh, but Bingo!
      I gotta agree with most of it (even though I hadn’t acknowledged the kid stuff to myself..I cringe as I even say it but true…wish he was cuter) He didn’t really remind me of Gunnar either, which is maybe why the other poster is correct in him not really being his. Except for the fries thing was kind of an attempt at a Forest Gump moment, when he meets “little Fowest” for the first time, and his mannerisms are so like Gump, (but that kid was adorable and a perfect fit.) I DO love Gunnar, though, when he’s being “good bro”, good song-writer/singer (especially with Scar) or vulnerable etc…and he was being those things last night. I’m interested to see where it goes, though suddenly having all these young, cool, struggling artists saddled with kids?….I dunno what that does to Nashville..

Totally agree with you about Sadie. Don’t know the big attraction about Laura Benanti
      (I didn’t watch her on anything before, as others have)…and I don’t trust the Sadie kiss-ass stuff. It’s every woman for herself out there, someone always waiting to steal your spot-light, and Ms. James whining about how tough it all is last night…the look in Sadie’s eyes as she feigned “support”…does not feel real to me.

One of my favorite moments last night was this week’s “bald head” surprise, for me…the homeless “songwriter”….more than Scar just giving him credit, I was wondering if there’s a whole backstory there and Scar has a catharsis from it. She is clearly struggling to find a more “meaningful path” to this writing career for herself…there may be lessons and a fall from grace story there. Just a thought…probably not it…but just where my mind went on it.
      I love applesauce, I love “mush-inside/crispy outside” steak fries…never thought to put them together; now I have to try it.

• MsLiz says:

I read another blog speculating that Sadie would go all “single white female” on Rayna, including making a play for Luke! I think that sounds like a good, soapy storyline. Her adoration is too much – I think there has to be something more to it.

23. Lauren says:

I am pretty convinced it’s Gunnar’s brother’s kid, and not his… but I suppose only time will tell.

24. christopher bee says:

fried potatoes and applesauce are common here in the west to south Germany.

Dawn, i´ll have to grab my acoustic G. and finger some tunes to your “Smirkey Turtle” Lyrics.

25. jo says:

Is it me or did the scenes with Zoey and Juliette have an “All About Eve” vibe?

26. izzieb says:

I’ve been thinking about this and here are my new theories: 1. Evil Jeff starts an evil-minded fling with Layla, until he can’t stand her anymore and kills her. 2. Gunnar finds out his brother was the baby-daddy to the 9 year old boy, but only because Zoey steals DNA to prove it (thanks to the commenter who suggested that one!), and then he dumps Zoey because she has broken his trust. 3. Rayna dumps Luke, and Sadie moves right in as Mrs. Country Queen. 4. Glenn marries Juliette to protect her from having a baby out of wedlock (hey, it is country music fans, after all. we’re still a little old fashioned sometimes) (remember how mad her fans got before when she did something wrong?). Hahahah! It’s so fun thinking about this crazy good show and wondering what the writers are going to throw at us next!!

27. TW says:

Layla, Pam and Zoey all need to go. I found myself wishing Layla was going to use a piece of the broken mirror to end it all. Also, I think Smirky Turtle is setting Teddy up so he will sign the girls to an Edgehill contract. There has to be something more to that woman he set him up with which I think is going to come back and bite him in the ass at some point.

28. Suzanne says:

Anyone else think that Jeff is planning to blackmail Teddy into signing the kids to his label? Maybe the two girls from the party are “working girls,” and Jeff will end up with pics of Teddy in a compromising situation.

29. k says:

#Bringbackthedome

30. Amy H says:

I’m losing faith in this show. They’re so all over the charts in terms of characters. Rayna is turning into an unlikable character for me which is so not what I want. Predicted blowup when Luke finds out Will is gay. Noah will turn out to be gay. Layla will definitely go postal at some point. Lord knows what’s going on with Scarlett. Jeff will end up signing Zoey to his record label. Kiley’s son will turn out to be Gunnar’s brother’s. And of course, Rayna won’t marry Luke in the end. The writers wouldn’t dare.