Pilot Scoop: Christian Slater to Headline USA Crime Drama Mr. Robot

Christian Slater Mr. Robot

Christian Slater has a new title: Mr. Robot.

The Mind Games and Breaking In alum has landed the title role in USA Network’s cyber-crime pilot, which centers on a mysterious anarchist (Slater) who recruits a brilliant cyber security engineer (24‘s Rami Malek) into an underground hacker organization intent on bringing down corporate America.

The potential series also stars Portia Doubleday (Her), Carly Chaikin (Suburgatory) and Martin Wallström (Simple Simon).

Slater’s TV credits also include a turn as a literal robot: In NBC’s short-lived My Own Worst Enemy, he played a secret agent implanted with a dual-personality-triggering computer chip.

1. Missy Kelly says:

Yeah! All of his series were actually very good. A little high concept for network tv but very good.

2. Ralph says:

Always enjoyed Christian, and most of his shows. Breaking In was hilarious (before Megan Mullally was added). His shows just don’t last. Better luck on USA Christian.

3. Ali Tuñón says:

Mr.Robot…promising 😉

4. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I’ll check it out but the headline may as well read USA pilot Mr. Robot cancelled.

5. Mike B says:

sounds interesting… but the name is awful

6. Well its on USA so maybe he has a chance. He was funny in Breaking in and I loved him on The Forgotten. It seems like every show he’s been on gets cut right off. Maybe USA will give him a fair shot.

7. Jenna says:

Lol. I really do like him, but his track record on TV is abysmal. I wish him luck with this one!

8. mari johnson says:

Glad to see TV hasn’t given up on Christian Slater. I really liked my own worst enemy.

9. cdhaskell says:

I hope and pray that Christian Slater will break from the series that will discovery before one season. I can’t wait to see how the writer will developed the series.

10. Gill says:

Christian Slater? Might as well cancel this right now.

11. mj says:

So they’re combining all the failed shows into one? Lol. love him but he is the kiss of death for shows

12. Stormy says:

I love CS, but they sure are having a hard time finding a good show premise for him. IMO this one doesn’t seem a good fit. Not sure bringing down corporate America is exactly a noble cause either.

• SMatheson says:

I completely agree with you, Stormy. I won’t want to see a show about bringing down America — but I would find it fascinating if the writers kept the storylines to cyber intelligence.

13. Andrea says:

I like him, but he’s had terrible luck with shows. I’ll try this one out because he’s in it.

14. SMatheson says:

I hope Christian does well, but I also hope the show doesn’t have a Dooms Day approach to destroying the country. Its bad timing for people to be entertained by our country’s demise. All of Christian’s shows have been good – as long as the writers stick to good and compelling stories. Do not jump the shark, like you have done with every one of his other shows, which was no fault of his.

15. Tony Lang says:

Maybe 5th time will be the charm…

16. TinLV says:

Slater, as good as he is, just seems to be a jinx on TV.. even if it’s good, it won’t last.

17. Tracy says:

Breaking In was great until the horrible and annoying Mulally showed up and I loved The Forgotten! Slater is an amazing actor who just needs the right series – I hope this one will be it!

• cdhaskell says:

I hope that his new will see a second season. Christian Slater is a great actor but I will get two blank VHS tapes to show because we both know network wanted the show because a winner from the first episode.

18. dman6015 says:

Well, it could be worse. At least his co-stars are somewhat unknowns, so their careers won’t get picked apart when it’s canceled. Unlike the name actors on ‘Mulaney’, who are already being picked apart for signing on to such a terrible show.

19. leahbh says:

how many episodes before this one is canceled? He just can’t lead a show.