The Flash Recruits General Hospital's Roger Howarth for Recurring Role

The Flash Roger Howarth

Roger Howarth is back in the newspaper business.

Having previously played One Life to Live’s tabloid titan Todd Manning (before segueing to General Hospital, where he currently plays Franco — don’t ask), Howarth has booked a recurring role on The CW’s freshman hit The Flash, as award-winning reporter Mason Bridge.

Per our sister site Deadline, Mason will oversee aspiring journo Iris West as he digs into the truth about disgraced S.T.A.R. Labs honcho Dr. Harrison Wells aka Barry Allen’s mentor. He first airs in Episode 11.

Howarth’s previous primetime TV credits include Californication, Dawson’s Creek and ABC’s short-lived Prey.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I’ve been hearing rumors of his departure from GH for months. If true and he’s not pulling double duty I can’t blame him. The writing for his character is crap.

2. Nunaya_Bidness says:

Life made. The casting for this show just gets better and better.

3. Jakay says:

He’s a good actor. I’m glad to see him get a lifeline from the swill known as General Hospital.

• AJQ says:

Howarth is an unbearable, scenery chewing, ham actor who plays everything like his Todd Manning character. He’s stinking it up on GH but good. His role on Californication was literally two minutes in three episodes. His agent has been pounding away for over year to try and get him other work but nobody wants him. If only they did and GH was free of him.

• Amie says:

I saw him on Broadway with Stockard Channing and Laurence Fishburne. He did just fine. Trust me — he’s a fine actor and can do a lot more than Todd Manning.

• AJQ says:

Sorry, he’s a scenery chewer who makes horrible acting choices that are cringeworthy. He plays to a small group of daytime fans who will just watch him do anything. Check out the February 5th 2014 episode of GH with him in the garveyard, the episode that Shirley Jones was in. He was so bad he made The Soup. No actor with talent could give a performance like that. He was decent on Broadway? Doing what and how many years ago. The guy has been just awful by any standard.

• Rchelle says:

Actually, it’s your standard, and that does not matter. You wrote a whole lot of nothing, and if he was really that bad why would you watch….

• JB says:

I agree. Wish whey would have found someone else for The Flash. Probably the only soap actor I wish was not on all my favorite shows.

4. Canadagraphs says:

He was 1 of my favorite recurring characters on Dawsons Creek.
    Sad to say, I occasionally saw OLTL when I was younger, and remember him from there.
    Good casting choice for The Flash.

5. jaye says:

He’s phenomenal and he’s been wasted on GH in this horrible Franco iteration. More power to him.

6. Eric7740 says:

No where does it say he’s leaving General Hospital, he may have an option in his contract that allows him to do other projects. Billy Miller did the same when he was on Y&R and he guest starred on Ringer.

7. Batteries are also still becoming smaller and more versatile
    in their application. In the Conjugation States, Hoover clay one off the leadimg
    manufacturers of family goods, including vacuum cleaners; and Hoover became selfsame loaded from tthe innovation.
    The Genius battery charger is a fullpy automated 8 step switch mode charger for batteries.

8. KansasGuest says:

People, it’s a *recurring* role; not a supporting one. In comic book series terms, recurring = will die in 2-4 episodes, or will be revealed as a villain. Either way, it has potential. Congratulations to Howarth! THE FLASH is a fun series.

9. Lizo says:

Seriously?!? He’s a horrible actor.

• MattArmando says:

Just because he’s on Daytime does not mean he’s “terrible”? I can name a handful of daytimers that are FAR more superior actors than some in Primetime.

• Dude says:

He’s a amazing. Your taste sucks.

• I preferred the actor who replaced him on “OLTL” as Todd Manning. Roger won an Emmy for raping Marty in the early 90’s. People liked him but I always found him one dimensional as an actor. James Franco was SO good when he guest starred on GH. Then all the ‘”OLTL” actors came to GH as the characters on “OLTL” then they were killed off and Roger was Franco. How absurd! Even for a daytime soap opera this was a stretch . Dumb!

10. He needs to leave GH. Silly unbelievable character replacing the original Franco. Daytime viewers remember him as Todd on “OLTL”

11. MattArmando says:

His fantastic, EMMY-winning role as Todd on OLTL was incredible always—not the hugest fan of him as Franco on GH, but he still brings it all the time. Great seeing him doing some more Primetime.

• AJQ says:

He won the Emmy 20 years ago in the “Young” actor category, never won one up against adults. He has done nothing with the role of Franco. He’s played it mostly as a clown and like Todd Manning.However bad the writing is, he made it worse, unable to create and define a new character. When you see the actor acting or as a previous character he’s played. he hasn’t done his job and it shows no range. Being able to do one thing and only that one thing is not the mark of a good actor. And the one thing he does, I find annoying.

12. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see his role on the Flash. I still hope that he will do double duty.

13. Miriam says:

I wish Roger good luck in primetime

14. emily says:

Happy to see him expand his acting talent to night time television. I loved him as Todd Manning. GH is wasting his talent as Franco.

15. Minnie7 says:

I like him!

16. Rebecca Cecil says:

I love Roger Howarth, I loved him on One Life to Live as Todd Manning yes he was a jerk but he played his character very well. And he has been great on GH. Yes GH sometimes drives me crazy like when they brought all the One Life to Live people over as who they were on One Life to Live and then all the sudden they had to change and be someone else which is How Howarth became franco – which was stupid. But he plays it good.

• Yvonne says:

im with you Rebecca. I hate how GH changed the original OLTL characters. I love Todd Mannings role in both shows. Roger is a great actor and without him some of the GL storyline would be Boring…… He’s very entertaining and the only reason I started watching GL in the first place. Please keep Roger or better yet bring back Todd!!!

17. Sherry L. Mason says:

I have admired Roger’s talent for years. I am happy to see that he continues to branch out into other projects.

18. mmsolis1106 says:

How General Hospital is still on is amazing…Oh, they are still on,because they steal beloved characters from other shows to keep fans like myself,who loved our OLTL and AMC viewing…Sorry, I don’t watch…

I never been a fan of a mafia thug show like General Hospital,no matter the actors or actress they hire from other soaps…

19. susan says:

I like him. Is he leaving GH

20. evelynfilmfan says:

He’s that guy from that soap: As the world turns!!! He was that freaky son of Barbara and that criminal in that show!! Oh yeah I remember Mr Stenback or something. Jeez that’s ages ago!!

21. mia says:

GH is not good enough for anyone like Roger. Its just the Sonny and Carly show.

22. Josie says:

Does that mean he’s leaving general hospital?

23. I was taken in immediately by Roger when he first appeared on OLTL as a fraternity brither involved in raping Marty Saybrooke. He stole the show. His scenes with sister Vicki were heartwarming. Both incredible. GH was a sinking ship with the lowest ratings until the three from OLTL came on. The writers messed with him because of Prospect Park. Should have never changed his part to Franco as he is a movie star. dumb. But..he can handle anyrhing. Just love him with Nina. GH was Sonny running around with a big silver gun telling Jason to take him out. He gotta go. Day in and day out. Now it is Shawn. Get rid of Sonny and Shawn..enof. Shawn was likeable at the unset. War vet with college degree and now a thug raising TJ. When he beat up Franco with Sonny watching in the boat houae it was awful/ Sonny shooting Dante. Now take Ava out..Damn..take him out. Lost track of the body count at the clinic. The writing is changing. I loved oltl and Dr. Clay and Kiki seem to have been cast in a better way. I hope Roger gets a revolving door like Robin and she i awful. lad for u Roger putting up with namechange and blond hair and an awful script that ur getting a break but u tear up the set and want u back. Your face when watching video from that necklace is priceless and actually when u call Scott dad YOUR FACE IS PRICELESS. i hope I can tolerate the show without you. Already fastforwarding Maxi. whining is awful. Luv u.

24. The man can act. He can do funny, serious and creepy as all hell. Don’t judge him as Franco, GH totally screwed up with that role for him and the writing is horrendous. He deserves way better than what he is getting right now.

25. Dj says:

I hope after this gig he returns to GH as Todd Manning.

26. shadowalking says:

Hmm. Roger Howarth would be the one thing that would make me watch The Flash.

27. cheryl gold says:

glad to know rogers coming back to daytime, i love his actor abilities!

28. I can’t wait to see how Roger Howarth’s Mason Bridge will be developed. Will he become an believable character or turn out to be an future Flash rogue gallery member?

29. Roger is to good to be on Soaps now anyway. I really hope this character becomes a fixture on The Flash.

30. daryl s. says:

Nov. 3, 2014
    It will be great to see Roger Howarth on
    “The Flash” on the CW network.
    He is a great actor with a lot of talent
    it will be a suprise if he wins a golden globe award or a primetime Emmy
    at one time. I wonder when he’ll exit
    General Hospital, so he can be a full cast member of “the flash”.

31. slb says:

excellent..he is underused on GH and I have always found him to be a fascinating actor. Saw him on NYC stage decades ago and was impressed..so followed him a little on OLTL and was thrilled when he came to GH…BUT not as Franco? Big win for The Flash

32. Melissa says:

I can’t wait for him to join the cast of The Flash. He really wasn’t be utilized on G.H. like he should have been. So yeah for Roger!

33. daryl says:

Roger Howarth definitely will have to leave General Hospital , rather than be on recurring role. The flash is a hit primetime tv series , the show is filmed In the north coast -Vancouver, Canada.
    It would save on having to commute
    from New York to Vancouver, Canada

34. General Hospital is the best…and Rodgers roll sucked…should not have been Franco…and that wife of Silas was a horrible actress…rest of people I love..after they bring back the real Luke!

35. Elliana says:

Wow!! I’m thrilled to see Roger Howarth again.
    I really miss OLTL and stopped watching GH long ago.

He’s a fine actor and nice to look at. ;)
    The Flash desperately needs more decent actors (or writers). I cringe at the much of the dialogue, mostly from ‘Caitlin’ and ‘Cisco’. Ugh.

36. Nancy Southern says:

37. Nancy Southern says:

I think Roger Howarth is a great actor. I love all of his characters and have been watching him since he first appeared on One Life to Live as Todd Manning and I have followed him ever since. He is the type of a actor who can just about play any character and be great at it and how dare anyone criticize his acting abilities. I have been hooked on him since the very beginning and will always follow Roger Howarth to the ends of the earth he is that incredible. I hope someday to see him on the big screen and so what if a lot of characters from One Life to Live joined him on General Hospital? What is a big deal and what is the problem guys? Those people are really good actors so get over it! I never heard when Roger will be making his first appearance on FLASH? Can someone please tell me? I would love to follow him on that and anything else here. So I was in the future and I know he will be a hit and a real asset to the show! Congratulations Roger!

38. CCDM6988 says:

Awesome actor. Very cool to c him on the Flash ..

39. John says:

It will be great to be able to still see Roger on a show. Since his character injected a massive amount of LSD into himself, that character of Franco will be on an extended trip.

40. Charles Watson says:

Although he has been overlooked by many in the mainstream due to doing most of his acting in the soaps, Howarth is a brilliant actor.