Was Good Wife Hasty? Was S.H.I.E.L.D. Twice as Fun? Best Arrow Stunt? Most OMG Murder Scene? And More TV Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including The Good Wife, Once Upon a Time, Walking Dead, NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D., Arrow and Scandal!

Hawaii Five-01 | Did Hawaii Five-0 really deliver a chase scene on surfboards? Did even Point Break attempt such a thing?

2 | Admit it: Did you cry at Jessie‘s “wedding”?

3 | Did The Good Wife‘s Alicia really solidify her intent to run for State’s Attorney without a serious conversation with Cary and Diane? Does Owen remind anyone of Brothers & Sisters‘ Kevin Walker? (They totally have the same dry, sarcastic personality.) And the show will give us at least one final Alicia/Kalinda scene before Archie Panjabi exits, yes?

4 | How are Once Upon a Time‘s Elsa and Snow Queen managing to glide through the forest without snagging their dresses on a single twig/tree root? Magic?

5 | When did The Walking Dead’s Carol have/make time to wash off all the zombie guts with which she had camouflaged herself before her reunion with Daryl, Rick and the gang?Gotham_104_Barbara_sApt_4734_hires1

6 | With Gotham’s Barbara laying down ultimatums and the DC Comics character Leslie Thompkins due to appear on the show “during a very tough time in Jim’s life,” that would-be marriage has gotta be toast, right?

7 | Wasn’t it a bit odd that The Big Bang Theory‘s Bernadette — who just spent the episode haranguing Penny for not taking her new pharmaceutical gig seriously — made her feel badly for staying behind in their Vegas hotel room to prep for a sales call?

8 | TVLine reader/Dancing With the Stars fan TheClutteredLife asks of the judging panel: “Can we keep Jessie J and get rid of Julianne?”

9 | Did any Castle fans half-expect Tory (played by moonlighting Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. guest star Maya Stojan) IMG_20141015_225104to use some HYDRA tech to crack the cloaking case?

10 | Any NCIS viewers get a Tracy Flick vibe from Bishop this week?

11 | Given his new state and having killed someone’s father, is Supernatural‘s Dean a new incarnation of the Yellow-Eyed Demon?

12 | Did you worry that Sons of Anarchy‘s Gemma would steal Gertie’s car after she learned where the keys were?

13 | The Flash‘s flashbacks won’t be a weekly thing, will they? Because unlike Oliver Queen’s very formative island escapades, these vignettes — wait for it — slow down the fun.

14 | Was Henry’s gift of a London-themed wastebasket to Eliza on Selfie — complete with red phone booth — simply a nice little nod to star Karen Gillan’s British roots, or did it make you instantly think about the police call-box she used to fly around in on Doctor Who? And has Charmonique been criminally underutilized?

15 | Did Agents of SH.I.E.L.D.’s Agents of SHIELD May vs MayCoulson sum up the May-on-May fight best, with: “I can’t believe I’m the only one seeing this!”? And was May vs. May > Oliver Queen vs. Arrow?

16 | Granted, there were bigger things to deal with on this week’s Arrow, but wasn’t it weird that Oliver and Felicity acted like nothing had just happened between them? Meanwhile, TVLine reader Anon asks: “Are we to believe that Laurel carried Sara to the foundry by herself and waited until morning so that Team Arrow can walk in all oblivious?” Finally, which was cooler: A) Dueling archers on motorcycles, B) Oliver pitching himself out a window while shooting a “batarang” arrow into the sky, or C) catching your opponent’s arrow and turning around to shoot it back into him?

16 | On Red Band Society, how was everyone OK with Jordi driving on actual roads during his first time ever behind the wheel?

17 | To American Horror Story: Freak Show’s Gloria Mott: Who hires the dingy, surely foul-smelling clown walking the side of the road to entertain their (um, grown) son? Was that brief glimpse under Twisty’s mask more terrifying than anything else we’ve seen so far? And how is it that we find ourselves mourning an odd bird who bit the heads off chickens?!

18 | Did South Park finally end its continuity streak with the Nathan/Mimsy-centric episode? (Save for a quick shot Murder Gay Sexof Randy singing one of his Lorde classics, it was completely unrelated.)

19 | What was more groundbreaking on How to Get Away With Murder: Connor’s sex scenes or Annalise stripping off her hair and makeup? Also: The twirling cheerleader is totally Sam’s killer, right?

21 | Was the concept of a landline really that foreign to the New Girl roomies — all of whom are more than old enough to remember when it was the only means of communication?

22 | Was Ichabod’s immediate identification of — and ability to play — the Pied Piper’s flute a stretch, even for Sleepy Hollow?

1. Bryce says:

Watching Annalise take off her makeup was incredibly powerful, but Connor’s sex scenes are groundbreaking. I’m so pleased with what this show is accomplishing.

• wrstlgirl says:

100% agree. While watching Connor’s scenes I kept thinking “are they really doing this” I was very proud. About time!!

• Kevin says:

this is my theory but I reckon Annaliese killed Lila, and is framing sam for the murder, and then she gets sam killed and let one of her students (probably michaela) take the fall and that’s how she gets away with murder

• Tee says:

I actually don’t beleive the murder is really happening. I think it’s some kind of final exam or someone telling a story that we are seeing as a visual narrative. Unless this show is on for one season, or season 2 will have a whole new cast of college kids (and we accept and watch a guilty Viola Davis forever and ever if Annaliese killed/had her husband killed), I can’t imagine any of that stuff in the present is happening.

If there truly is a murder, I think it was Frank. No way Liza Weil did it. Her husband was Cooper on Private Practice, and I can’t see her barely used for a whole season unless she will be barely used every season.

• KND says:

Completely agree! That wig/make up scene was unbelievably powerful. From what I read it was Viola Davis’ idea.
      The Connor sex scenes are beyond groundbreaking. Loving all of it.

2. Bryce says:

Everyone was freaking out about Alicia not asking them, but I have a feeling it was probably insinuated that it was off-camera. Why would they make a fuss? They’ve both proven they can run a firm with and without Alicia, and they’re her friends. I thought nothing ill of it until I read the comments section.

3. Mary Ann says:

Regarding number 5, obviously Carol stopped at the Emerald City on her way from Terminus to where the group was….

4. Tran says:

Melinda May does know when to kick butt on a Tuesday night.

• Delirious says:

“And was May vs. May > Oliver Queen vs. Arrow?” -> that’s a definite YES. As much as I love Arrow, May vs May wasn’t kick ass, it was the next thing (yay for hispanisms).

I mean, I had to rewatch that final slowmo blow to the coffee table a couple times, it was THAT good.

• KansasGuest says:

We slo-mo’d that sequence twice, too! I slo-mo ARROW because many times, the action is too dark for me to see who is doing what. I really cannot tell which is the bad guy & which is the good guy. Don’t have that problem on AoS. I rewind May’s fight scenes because they are just GOOD! In last season’s finale, we rewatched her staple gun move twice, too.

5. Drew says:

11. The guy that Dean killed was back in 2003, so Dean would have had a good reason for doing it. Cole discovering what this reason is will be vital to his own arc, I’m assuming, but also to Dean discovering his humanity again.

13. Everyone complained about Arrow’s flashbacks for the first year or two as well.

16. Using the bad guy’s arrow against him was awesome.

• Curly Girly says:

11. Correct. The guy was probably a “meat suit” for a demon, so Dean killed a demon, not someone’s father (but the son wouldn’t know this).

6. Katherine215 says:

9. Whoa. I can’t believe I didn’t make the connection between Castle’s Tory and Shield’s brainwashed agent being the same actress. It’s not like she looks different in the two shows, so I can’t believe I missed that!
    15. Coulson’s line was so perfect there. He was pretty funny the entire episode, I wish they’d put some humor in all the episodes. God knows Skye could take herself much less seriously.

7. Scott says:

How about a Q re: Modern Family: How is it that the Dunphys would stay at such low-star hotel for the week? Although it’s great to be a penny pincher, the show never indicated such need for cramped quarters for an entire week? I mean, really? No other hotel in California was open to them? Or for that matter, how about crashing with relatives? I have a feeling that Jay and Gloria would have enough room!

8. androme3 says:

I’ve seen sex scenes on TV all the time, but the scene of Annalise taking off her makeup was incredible and truly powerful. It shown that not all women in TV can sleep in their foundation. Viola Davis made that scene.

• bj says:

This was my favourite too. She did what no other actress has ever done. Even the eye lashes came off. And it was done with such flair.

Sex scenes are done on tv all the time, and on that show several times already.

9. maddy says:

22 – Nope! my friend Trev plays the flute and he’s a total geek on all of the wind family instruments & a lot of their history. I just think flautists tend to be big giant music nerds.
    (Whereas I play a stringed instrument and the only geekoid fact I yell out is about cat guts. No cats were harmed in the historical making of my instrument, yo.)

10. Come On Now says:

Not sure why Connor’s sex scene tonight was groundbreaking…he’s had sex in almost every episode so far. I also think that maybe they’re going a bit for shock value, as well, at this point with it. While I’m glad networks are finally giving a voice to everyone…how many times did we really need to hear the recorded line “He did this thing with my a**…”? They played it at least four times lol My vote goes to Lady Viola…most actresses wouldn’t touch going raw on camera with a 50-foot pole. But then again, Viola is awesome, so…

• Rook says:

I think its groundbreaking for a basic cable station. But if you’re like me and watched Queer as Folk, it’s just like a normal sex scene. So that’s why I think Viola Davis gets my vote too.

• Rusty says:

I for one am getting tired of having sex scenes in every episode, whether they are gay or straight. I am all for equal rights, but I don’t need it shoved in my face. The story can be told the same without humping and sweating and comments about what he did to his A$$. We get it, his character trades sex for information and has little conscious after the fact.

• herman1959 says:

I think the writers are giving him some where to go as far as character development – from promiscuous sex to committed, monogamous relationship. Maybe.

• ChicagoDan says:

That’s kind of lame – why would we want to see a neutered Connor? No, it’s more fun watching him hookup with dudes for the sake of a case. Half the story on Thursday would have to be rewritten if Connor was in a mono relationship. And, no hot sex, no ‘why wasn’t it censored line,’ no suicide, etc. It’s only been four episodes, there is no urgency for growth

• Gerri says:

I enjoy Conner’s antics too, and am not keen on the nerdy clingy dude relationship. But I do agree they are working on his character, and wow did that hit him hard when the guy he just hooked up with and betrayed committed suicide. That would have wrecked me for sure.
            Yes it is 4 episodes, but going 6 months in the future we see how he is chang(ed)/(ing) as a character.

• KC says:

I agree 100% with this!!!

11. Kalee says:

TVLine, you ask The Walking Dead about the continuity error of Carol’s mud face and not the total ludicrousness of that firework scene?

12. Yoki says:

Mellie won. Fitz is such a douche.

• Jboges says:

Ageed, I may be alone but i am not down with Olivia and Fitz. Also, the Presidents daughter has Olivias number on speed dial?

• Larc says:

I think Fitz won since his points were current and dead-on. Mellie’s may have been snarkily clever, but it was only a rehash of history that didn’t address any real issues at hand. But I agree Fitz is a douche. There are no saving graces in him that I can see.

13. Lucy says:

#3 Maybe Diane/Cary/Alicia happened off screen on purpose. Because, sincerely, Alicia’s decison to run “NOW” makes no sense and seems based on nothing consistent or coherent with what we’re told about the character.
    Well, maybe there’s something coherent with the character: she left L&G because she wants to avoid the attraction for Will. Now she wants to run because Castro pissed her off. All her professional decisions are based on her emotions and are all about her emotions.
    Alicia is co-founder partner of F/A. We’re told several time it’s start up firm. With a lot of issues. If she will win and become the new SA I don’t think all her clients will stick with the firm, especially now that other co-founder, Cary, is being charged with a class X felony and not even able to be in court, which also is not helping the firm. Space issues are the last thing Diane should be worried about, imo. I don’t think Alicia considered well all those factors. Well, I don’t think she’s considering how that decision will impact her firm at all. So her decision looks more like ” I want a new toy to play with because it sounds cool and I’m tired of the old one”. She wasn’t even able to explain “why” she wants to run. Because polls can be pro-Alicia now, but when the campaign will start everything could change drastically, especially considering her complete lack of experience and serious motivations. The fact that she’s a woman and not a politician is not enough to win. I would be more interested in a storyline about Alicia finding out that she can’t just take a shot at politics than the usual “Alicia always win because….she can’t lose”.

• Dr.Sally says:

I’m setting the over/under on the number of cats owned by Lucy at 5. Any takers?

• MaireW says:

I totally agree. I would find a few stories on the restructuring of the firm after bringing over Diane and Co more believable (although it is s relief to get away from the constant stories about the 2 law firms battling each other). Also, now that Bishop is not a client, can’t the Cary storyline be tied up? Finally, how believable is it that the governor’s wife is running for state’s attorney?

14. GildedRose says:

7 – Yes, that was weird. I thought the exact same thing.

16 – Yeah, I was waiting for some follow up with Oliver and Felicity in that episode. I know the timing wasn’t the best but… something? Would have been nice. I think this is one area where Arrow needs to improve. The emotional follow up on things (and I don’t mean just Oliver and Felicity) has always been lacking from the beginning. I think that’s partly what makes it difficult to connect and invest in a lot of the characters. Take a moment to breathe once in awhile, Arrow. It’s okay. Oh and it’s nearly impossible to pick between A, B, and C. I love them all. But I think that window leap was flipping hot. I think we can all agree on a D option: Arrow deserves an Emmy for stunts!

22 – Aren’t most things on Sleepy Hollow a stretch? :P

15. Andrew G Holland says:

Yes, May vs May was > Oliver vs Arrow. And I did not realize that Agent 33 was the tech on Castle.

16. Mary says:

Yeah, it was a bit odd between Oliver and Felicity, but it is very strange that they didn’t find out about Sara until afternoon (watched the scene online and it was 1:45 on Oliver’s watch) the next day.

Have to say May vs “May” was better than Arrow vs “Oliver,” especially after seeing the gifs of the moment May went up in the air over the coffee table spun around mid-air and slammed fake May’s head into it.

17. Bwhit says:

12- that was my second thought about that… My first was, why is she leaving the keys to her car on the tire at a seedy truck stop?

18. Znachki says:

22 – Not really. I’d be willing to bet that a larger percentage of the population from Crane’s time played some musical instrument than do so now. Also, IIRC he was just noodling, not playing a specific known tune. So as long as he could blow into it correctly (pop bottle anyone?), e’d get something.

19. Alichat says:

22) I was more bothered by the fact that he finds a dirty, human bone in the forest and immediately decides to put it up to his mouth. Bleh!

20. Luis says:

15. May on May= STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

21. Liz says:

Love this colum! Also thanks for actually paying attention to all us fans of any show rant in your comments. And Arrow’s catch & shoot was probably the best moment EVER! Better than sliding down a staircase & shooting.

22. Luis says:

14. If only it had been a blue police box on the waste basket . . .

23. rainee says:

15. May vs. May was awesome. I love Arrow, but the lighting during some of the action scenes makes me mad. It’s just so dark, you can hardly see the action.
    19. I’m going with Annalise. They’ve shown man-sex on tv before, so, not groundbreaking.
    20. Does any bad parent ever really win?

24. 16. B Oliver/Arrow pitching himself out of the window shooting an arrow & C) catching your opponent’s arrow and turning around to shoot >May-on-May fight, dueling archers on motorcycles

• KansasGuest says:

Disagree, if only because the stunt work of jumping out a window &, then, splicing together a shot where the jumper is on their back shooting an arrow upward is pretty easy. The “action” was really all in the editing room. But, May vs. May was real martial arts stunt work, two bodies in full frame, where all the moves were choreographed & really done, including the head slam. Granted, it was probably into a pillow. But, that was a FIGHT. ARROW just did what Spiderman does in every movie – jump from a great height & swing around.

25. Me says:

4) In Once, after what I am sure is many takes, both actresses lift the cape of their dress up every time they move. This started distracting me to no end last week. But I like the magic theory the best. Maybe the ice power has super slippery dress applications?

26. Sparky says:

When Oliver pitched himself out the window was very freaking cool. Flawless stunt work and it looked really good on screen. Then I’d go with him catching the arrow from Komodo and shooting it at him.

27. wil says:

Knowing the creator of Castle is now writing Marvel movie scripts, and that Castle graphic Novels are Marvel, I fully expect HYDRA to surface during a Castle episode leading to a SHIELD crossover in the early spring.

28. Mellie has never parented. She abdicated her position as parent to nannies and boarding schools. However, her talk with Karen was brilliant considering that Karen caught her mom on her knees with Uncle Andrew.

29. Angela says:

#19: I dunno, I think I’d have to say the scenes with Connor were pretty boldly done for a primetime show. I like that, though, mind :). Also, HA about the flipping cheerleader. Flying up as often as she does in those flashbacks, wouldn’t surprise me if she knew something :p.
    #22: Hrm, probably, but honestly, with this show, I do not care :D. Loved last week’s episode.
    (Also, I haven’t seen “New Girl”, but uh, yeah, I know people who STILL use landline phones even in this day, so…wow.)

30. herman1959 says:

(19) It was a tie.
    (20) Fitz; it was not contest, he rolled over Mellie

• herman1959 says:

(22) Yes, it was a stretch, especially since he picked up what amounts to some long-dead person’s bone from the ground and put in his mouth – YUCK!

31. Montie says:

Carol spread the zombie guts on a poncho or something like it, then put that on. After her mischief had been managed, she took it off. As for the mud on her face, if you look closely, you can see some of it still on her face, she just wiped most of it off.

• Meredith says:

Anybody who’s ever put on a mud mask can tell you that at some point all that goes through your head is, “Oh my gods, get this off me NOW!!!” And Montie is right about the walker guts poncho. Carol lost that accessory and improved her look by 75%.

32. Amber2 says:

I too thought those Arrow inconsistencies were weird – and where was the love-fern? I was sad the Olicity relationship wasn’t dealt with more. Unless Felicity’s exit was ‘it’? Fair enough but even that felt rushed and not totally characteristic of her. I don’t mind slow burn but I don’t want Olicity to lose its light. It’s the best bit of the show. Arrow writers – please don’t fail this story!

• pem says:

I dont think that was necessarily “it” for the relationship, but it’s def going to be a slowwww burn thing. I didnt think they were acting all that weird—–all of them compartmentalize to a certain degree, w/Oliver doing it the most—-and they did just walk in on a very dead Sara. I AM very concerned that one of the things I like best about the show, the lightness in the interaction between O&F, is going to be gone. I get that there’s supposed to be that “lightness” between Felicity and Ray, but I’d rather have it w/O&F. (The love-fern, was gone due to a “miscommunication” per Guggenheim, he said the prob had been addressed and the fern would be back in 307).

33. Donna2712 says:

I want to know with NCIS if Tony’s story about #6 in France was a hint about the ongoing “what happened in Paris?” Question.

34. tigerjess says:

9. I keep thinking Hydra kidnapped Castle and there’s a crossover in our future

35. Jan says:

#3 — Failure to discuss things with Cary & Diane was a total miss on the writers’ part; just didn’t/doesn’t make sense. I am DESPERATE for there to be a satisfying scene with Alicia & Kalinda before Archie leaves.

36. Jessica says:

Here’s a question – what happened to the fabulous wardrobe Emily Deschenel used to wear on Bones? Since her pregnancy (so what, 2, 3 seasons now?) they’ve dressed her in basically the same outfit in every episode; black leggings, black knee high boots, some kind of blouse & a blazer.

• Frontiersman says:

Mom clothes. Fast, simple, no muss, but still done well. Very practical. Very efficient.
      Very Mama Bones.

• KansasGuest says:

I don’t remember Bones being known for her wardrobe. She wears her blue smock when she’s at the Jeffersonian, which is 3/4 of every episode. In fact, I only remember two episodes where her clothes stood out – the one where they all were dressed in black tie for a fundraiser at the end of the episode, and the “dream” episode with a noir vibe when Seeley & Temperance were married (before she was even pregnant). If anyone is known for a fabulous wardrobe on BONES, it’s Cam. That character has some gorgeous dresses.

37. Shannon says:

As far as Red Band Society, I was more confused with why they let Jordi drive when he had recently collapsed/passed out at the movies.

38. JC1 says:

9) Thank you. I couldn’t figure out where I knew her from. Hadn’t made the connection.