Vampire Diaries Recap: Kai Yai Yai

Vampire Diaries Kai

Is it just me, or is hell getting awfully crowded?

RELATED Vampire Diaries Photos: Stefan and Caroline’s Steamiest Encounter Yet

Thursday’s Vampire Diaries introduced a mysterious new “friend” for Damon and Bonnie to play with: a pork rind-loving chap named Kai, who flat-out admitted to wanting Damon dead. Actually, he did more than admit it. Were it not for Bonnie regaining her powers and engulfing the troublemaker in flames, Damon could have ended up a twice-dead potato.

But because nothing is ever what it seems — especially in ’90s hell — Kai claimed this was all part of his master plan. “Your magic is the key to getting the hell out of here,” Kai explained to Bonnie. He knew that putting Damon’s life in danger would inspire Bonnie’s magic to return, though he admitted that their bickering had him worried: “I guess that’s just how you two show your love.”

RELATED Vampire Diaries‘ Michael Malarkey on Enzo-Caroline Romance: ‘I’m All for It’

(So much to think about: Is this “Kai” character good or bad? Could Bonnie and Damon really have secret feelings for each other? And how does Kai keep such a remarkable figure on a diet of, I assume, exclusively pork rinds?)

Meanwhile, in the land of the living…

Vampire Diaries Season 6

STEFAN SALVATORE: VAMPIRE HUNTER? | The prodigal vampire made his triumphant return to Whitmore this week, partially to catch up with old flames, but mostly to get even with Enzo for killing his new girlfriend… and oh, how even he got. Even after Enzo saved him from Matt’s buddy Jay — who, in addition to being a huge douche, is apparently also a vampire hunter — Stefan wasn’t quite satisfied. It wasn’t until he fired two stakes into Enzo’s back, then handed his limp little body over to Tripp, that he finally felt some retribution. (Why do I get the feeling he’ll regret that next week?)

STAY WITH ME | Speaking of Enzo, his relationship with Caroline continued to move in a strange, unsettling direction this week as they bonded over breakfast. “Ironically, he’s recently become one of the more stable people in my life,” she told Elena, though Caroline probably shouldn’t expect her bestie’s blessing anytime soon. (As Elena put it, Enzo’s “not new best friend replacement material.”) Of course, Enzo didn’t remain atop Caroline’s list for long; after finding out what Enzo did to Ivy, Caroline delivered a full-on “stay for me” speech to Stefan, and Elena was happy to give her BFF a shoulder to cry on when Stefan walked away in silence. (Note: I’m still in support of a Stefan-Caroline romance, but seeing her cry over him two weeks in a row is killing me. There’s got to be a less complicated boyfriend out there for her. Somewhere.)

Vampire Diaries Season 6

THAT GILBERT CHARM | And then there’s Elena, whose love life wasn’t any less complicated than Caroline’s. In addition to walking down memory lane with Stefan — it really has been two years, hasn’t it? — she also attempted to set Caroline up with her med-school buddy Liam, a plan that completely blew up in her face when Liam ended up kissing her instead. (Despite all that drama, I will say it was nice to see Elena happy for a change, even if she had to completely forget her life with Damon just to crack a smile.)

IT’S ALL COMING BACK | Jeremy’s new lady shady friend didn’t come any closer to finding out who her father is this week, but can you blame her for getting distracted? If your two options were “look for your family” or “hang out with a bathing suit-clad Jeremy,” which would you choose? Then again, Sarah’s got quite a bit on her mind now that a trip to Mystic Falls has undone Elena’s compulsion, thus reminding her that Elena tried to kill her. (Jeremy’s lucky he’s pretty, because sometimes I think dating him is more trouble than it’s worth.)

#LIVTYLER | Speaking of strange relationships budding… Liv and Tyler? Oh yes, it’s happening. Naturally, Luke was the first to notice, calling his sister out for doing “that thing where you’re a bitch because you like somebody.” And it didn’t take long for Liv to admit her feelings to Tyler: “It’s easier for me if you’re an aggressive, unlikable dick, so I don’t have to worry about falling for you.” (Yeah, Liv, I guess it would be weird having two aggressive, unlikable people in a relationship. Zing.)

OK, let’s talk: Do we like Liv and Tyler together? Are we mad at Stefan for stabbing/shooting Enzo in the back? And what do we make of this Kai fella? Browse photos from next week’s episode below, then drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. Emmy says:

Ok, I might be in the minority…but I think this season is shaping up to be great! I like the balance they have going with drama and humor. And it is really nice to see people who don’t normally get to interact have interactions with each other. Damon and Bonnie are a great duo to watch and I thought that I would be upset with how the whole Stefan/Caroline thing would play out but I think that there is something very natural and realistic about the way those characters interact. And Liv and Tyler could be really cute…it’s nice seeing Tyler having fun again.

• Andy Swift says:

You’re not in the minority! (And if you are, I am too.) I’m obsessed with the Damon/Bonnie storyline.

• AnnieM says:

OMG, I am enjoying those two together so much – their snarkiness is hilarious. And this Kai – I’m not sure what to think of him yet other than he’s like a younger Evil Jon Cryer.
        :-D

• alistaircrane says:

Damon and Bonnie are the ONLY good thing about this season. Why did they waste Bonnie on Jeremy for all that time when she has more chemistry with Damon?

• Cas says:

I love Bonnie and Jeremy! Damon and Bonnie are great as good bickering friends. It would be boring if they were together.

• Brianna says:

Bonnie and Jeremy were the most boring couple to ever happen on TVD. Kat and Stevn have absolutely no chemistry, it doesn’t matter how “cute” they were supposed to be. Now Kat and Ian? Wow! SO loving her dynamic with Damon much better! idk what it is, but they bring out such a fie in each other. Don’t know how I didnt see it sooner but I’m rooting for that!

• Emmy says:

Bonnie and Jeremy seemed forced last season…they were much better the first time they were together. But I am loving the interaction between Damon and Bonnie…I think they need to change directions with how they are portraying Jeremy, there is a lot of untapped potential.

• Sara Berzi says:

So agreed with the last part. There is so much potential, with Matt, too, and there has always been, but it’s being wasted. And every time they get what looks like a good storyline, it dies/is cut short.

2. David says:

Lets kill Steroline with fire please! He such a jerk

• Andy Swift says:

I feel like most people’s actions this season — except for Enzo killing Ivy — can be justified, one way or another. Everybody’s all messed up!

• Netty says:

So Stefan is a Jerk because he does not share Caroline’s feelings!! Caroline needs to get her emotions in check. Everyone is trying to move on the best way they know how to. She’s very selfish, judgmental and controlling, she wants everyone to grieve in the same way she is; passing that snarky comment to Elena was such a low blow, dunno why Elena puts up with her. She’s too insecure and needy. I guess now that she’s admitted to having feelings for Stefan, we are going to have steroline shoved down our throats yet again

• Hmm says:

I think Stefan is a jerk because he’s extremely selfish. He’s given up on his brother the second Damon disappeared, he abandoned his only remaining friend and repeatedly ignored her pleas for him to return because she was drowning in grief. Stefan has always only thought about himself and he uses people for when it’s convenient for him.

• Fran says:

You’ve got to be kidding me. Stefan did not give up on his brother the second he disappeared. Did you forget that there was a time jump? And that Stefan did try and look for answers? In fact he was the ONLY one who did. Elena did nothing. Caroline was only looking for answers on how to get back into Mystic Falls, which is to benefit herself. Jeremy did nothing. So why does Stefan get all the crap? He searched for answers and was unable to find any. I think people forget that no one on the show knows that Damon and Bonnie are still around. To them, the other side was the only way to bring someone back and its gone now. Stefan has every right to want to try and move on. Caroline was drowning in grief? She lost a friend, Stefan lost a brother. Not everyone grieves the same way. Could he have handled it better? Sure. But Caroline is making it all about herself. I like Caroline but she’s the one being selfish.
          And Stefan has always only thought about himself? I guess that’s why he left his life and his love to save Damon… Took care of Caroline when she became a vampire and died trying to protect her…. Why he always wanted to save Elena and wanted her to explore her feelings for Damon…. Why he let her go because he knew she was happier with Damon…. Yeah, he only thinks about himself. I know people only see and remember what they want to on this show but come on. He’s not perfect but no one on this show is. They’ve all done bad things before.

• marie says:

he is a jerk for leaving her fake apologies on her phone so that she would get to tell him where Enzo is. there is low and then there is Stefan

• Michelle says:

Ummm no she didn’t admit her feelings TO Stefan, she did to Elena. Stefan is so naive and has NO clue. Also, I’m pretty sure he DOES have feelings for Caroline, it’s obviously why she’s the one he has the most problem seeing–he knows if he spent enough time with her she’d be able to convince him to stay in Mystic Falls.

PS? Needing your best friend at such a low point in your life doesn’t make you selfish or controlling. It’s completely natural to want to grieve with (not to mention support) each other.

• Fran says:

It is completely natural to want to grieve that way, but I also think people show their grief in different ways. Stefan should have talked to Caroline instead of ignoring her. And Caroline should think a little as to why Stefan is acting the way he is. I think they both need to be a little more understanding and respectful of each other. I’m sure that will all play out soon though.

• Netty says:

Very true, people grieve in different ways and everyone understands and respects that apart from Caroline the control freak.

• lilian says:

Steroline sucks big time. Get Stefan another girlfriend please

3. jc says:

Omgggg I was about to quit this show but yay to bamon. This needs to become endgame. And jeremy yum. Those muscles I want to caress. Anyways this season isn’t so bad if I completely ignore the plot and focus on those two things.

• Andy Swift says:

1.) Excellent use of the word “caress.”

2.) I never shipped Bonnie and Damon… but I’m starting to have second thoughts. Those two have some CHEMISTRY.

• jc says:

I think I ship them mostly because of my hate for elena now. But alas she’ll end up with one of the salvatore brothers.

• alistaircrane says:

They do indeed have chemistry. In an ideal world, Damon and Bonnie would be together, Stefan and Caroline would be together, and Tyler and Jeremy would be together (yes, they also have chemistry—-go back and watch the first season if you don’t believe me).

4. Kate Sullivan says:

I’m suspicious of all Other Side beings and still won’t be surprised to find out he is a grown up version of the Mikaelson brother who started the whole thing in the first place by getting killed by a werewolf. And given that Elijah is the only Original I know whose motivations are I don’t trust any of them. I know that kid wouldn’t be a vampire but he could be a witch.

• M3rc Nate says:

Verrrryyyy interesting, something also very interesting is the kid/guy (on the other side with Daemon and Bonnie) seems Human, which he would be wouldn’t he? If he was the Original brother who was killed by the werewolf? Its the death by werewolf that set everything off correct? (The spell by the witch mom to make the family vampires etc)…so he died a human being right?

That would be a great spin and add some cool mythology both to TVD and a twist to The Originals (cause after he has had his part on TVD they can have him show up on The Originals and shock Klaus and Elijah by being alive). I was going to complain his character is very boring, another bland white 20 year old (along with the “cute bragger” who is another bland boring 20 year old white kid).

5. Simon says:

So my first post didn’t work and I don’t feel like typing it all out but could Damon be that girls father? Since he’s in the 90s. He will discover he knocked somebody up, that is if vampires can impregnate humans?

• Dakota says:

That would be very interesting if that were to happen or I was thinking that it could be that she is Bonnie’s sister. You never know it could be that when abbey left Bonnie’s father moved on and and they never met but who knows. That would be a very interesting twist that Sarah is Damon’s daughter. But they can’t get a girl pregnant because of the whole undead thing. But you never know they could work around that.

• tyranthraxus says:

Question on that: If Vampires cant get a human female pregnant, how did Klaus manage it

Is it because Original Vampires are different than their progeny?
        Is it the fact he is also a Werewolf?
        Is it a plot device they just made up?

Its always confused me.

Logically, if you want to bring in a descendant of Damon, it would be easy just to make them be descendants of Damon as remember he was off fighting a Civil War at one point. Id actually like to see scenes set there with him as a Human. He must of seen a lot but I dont think they have ever really once mentioned what he did. I have this feeling he never saw any action at all.

Maybe he met someone in a village he was stationed to.. etc. Its really an untapped part of the whole mythos.

• Morgan says:

Klaus was able to get Hayley pregnant only due to his werewolf genes.

• Rain says:

Klaus managed it because of being a werewolf – I don’t remember how it was explained but I know they talked about it when he found out.

• Baileigh says:

What they should have done, was make Uncle Zach a direct descendant of Damon’s instead of throwing in this thrid unseen/unheard of Salvatore brother that was born during the Civil War. If all the Salvatores who lived after the Civil War were direct descendants of Damon’s and not some other Salvatore relation that would give new meaning to all the Salvatore family members that Damon killed over the years. He would have literally been killing off his own bloodline.

• Shaun says:

I’m banking on her being Bonnies half sister.

6. Kinsey says:

I’m loving this season so far! I’ve loved the Stefan/Caroline + Damon/Bonnie interaction. I like how the writers made things simpler this season with normal drama not the Travelers, which was a terrible plot point. It seems like the old TVD. I’ve immensely enjoyed every episode this season.

I love the way that Stefan and Caroline interact, there’s just something there between them that I like. I think if the writers really built it, it could turn into an amazing love story. Unfortunately, if this is the last season of TVD they won’t have much time to be together, but I’m okay with any time at all.

I also want Damon and Bonnie to come back. I miss their interactions with the other cast. :(

• Maryann says:

If Supernatural can go ten seasons, why not The Vampire Diaries as well? The story line this season is the best in years, and Julie Plec et. al. do not seem to be running out of ideas.

• Jenn says:

They don’t have the ratings to justify it, even on the CW. If this isn’t the last season, then next will be for sure.

7. Maryann says:

The sooner Enzo is gone for good, the better, IMO.

8. Sarah says:

I wonder what next weeks previews were trying to tell us🙀 ! With Stefan proposing to Elena and them getting on the bike talking about starting over ?!

9. Heather says:

Not a fan of Tyler and Liv as a couple. I don’t like Liv. I like that Damon and Bonnie are bonding as friends. It made me sad when Damon said the first thing he’d done was tell Elena that he loved her. She won’t even like him when he gets back.

10. Fran says:

This episode just proved to me how much better Elena is without Damon. It may not be real, but I’m still going to enjoy it while I can. I didn’t mind this episode. Really enjoyed Damon and Bonnie and I’m intrigued by Kai. I love the Stefan who doesn’t take any crap anymore. Why again is Enzo so concerned with Damon?

• bluegossip says:

damon is the only friend enzo has ever had their bond run deep. So enzo being a little kissed stefa has given up on damon is understandble… Stefan killed enzo so not to be reminded that he has given up on his own brother…his no better

• Fran says:

Damon left him in the fire and killed his love…. And Enzo was hellbent on getting revenge on Damon not very long ago… I just don’t get why all of a sudden he changed his mind. I guess because Damon literally was the only friend he had? Even though it was a long, long time ago. I’m not even going to touch the Stefan giving up on his own brother thing because I think he has a right to try and move on after this amount of time. Damon and Stefan have a very complicated relationship and I just think its silly for Enzo to act like he knws anything about what they’ve both been through. Just my opinion.

• Baileigh says:

In Enzo’s eyes Damon redeemed himself for that laspe in judgement by bringing him back from the dead as he had promised. Damon lost his own life trying to save Enzo’s and I would think that Enzo must feel pretty guilty about that. Stefan is the one person who should be moving Heaven and Earth to bring Damon back from the dead, however he gave up after what a few months? This must make Enzo incredibly angry that Damon’s own brother just gave up on him when Damon has proved time and time again that he would have move Heaven and Earth for his friends and his family.
          I agree that Stefan should be allowed to move on, however it seems to me that he has not entirely move on from his life in Mystic Falls just from certain people in Mystic Falls. He can’t have it both ways, if he wants to move on fine but he needs to cut ties with everyone.

11. bluegossip says:

when bonnie returned i was at the edge of my seat, candle lights up and im like yes yes yes… She goes run and im jumping up and down!! Bonnie bennet is back b itches, those TO witch are nothing compared to thy beñnet witch!

Again if enzo dies, stefan is earning a trip past the mystic fall border..dick move!

12. Michelle says:

Not mad at Stefan for shooting Enzo at all. Think of it as a cop killing a murderer. (I do hope this facade Stefan has going on dies down soon though, a.k.a. I hope he breaks down and admits to his pains in front of Caroline soon so they can finally reunite and maybe make out and stuff. #sorrynotsorry)

13. Jenny says:

I hate this season. Just bring back Damon into the mix… Get whiny brooding Stefan back go mystic falls.. Let’s have Enzo fun and make up a big bad.. Come on writers, I refuse to believe you have run out of ideas and the only thing coherent thing u came up with was separating everyone for story… Come on

14. the dude with damon will be tyler dead brother the one elenas hottie brother mentioned to the girl in the house remember he said the house belonged one that is a live and only that is dead

15. mindy says:

Steroline is the worst thing ever on tvd! seriously are we supposed to swoon over how much of a dick stefan is and how caroline cries over him! Is that how epic love between to besties begins it´s jucky and it´s only there because its convenient for miss plec to continue with her delena fan service… the episode bamon was fine everything else meh

• Netty says:

Why is Stefan a dick??? He is dealing with his grief in his own way, Caroline is the whiny pathetic one who seems to be stuck in the past when everyone is trying to move on. Everyone has chosen a way to deal with their grief but instead she’s the air-head control freak who wants to control how people grieve.
      Its not Stefan’s fault that he does not share the same feelings like Caroline. He made himself clear; so why the hell is she still moping around for him.
      So its ok for a girl to reject a guy but not ok for a guy to reject a girl. Leave Stefan be, he lost his girlfriend, the last thing he needs is an insecure, whiny & needy person in his life right now. The only business he had in Mystic falls was to Kill Enzo and not to deal with Caroline’s emotions.
      The writers really need to make Caroline a much stronger, less needy character. She cannot function when she’s alone, she always needs people around her to control and push around. When things don’t go her way she snaps and is very judgmental. I really miss the bond Bonnie and Elena had.
      I am loving this new Stefan, he is strong and not taking anymore crap, its good to see him not moping over Elena anymore.

• Jenn says:

I agree. Even though I see both sides, I just hate the set-up. It feels cliche and unnecessary and there’s probably nothing that I want to see less than Stefan and Caroline’s weird romance taking over the show.

16. Dakota says:

Why would they kill someone off when they are a series regular. Enzo did have a good storyline which was working with Caroline to bring Bonnie and Damon back. But if they actually kill Enzo then Caroline is back to zippo and she has to start from scratch. I don’t think Enzo is dead dead because the guy said “no don’t kill him I have my own way in how they die”then it just ened there so maybe Enzo gets free or something I don’t know. But anyways I loved the bamon scenes those were the best out of the whole episode. In the books they are love interests to eachother so I wouldn’t mind if they started liking eachother like that. Or they just have a trusting relationship and friendship. In the books Damon and Bonnie become close and Elena gets extremely jealous because of that even though she was with Stefan in a way well she was searching for stefan who was in a prison in the dark dimension place forgot what it was called. Anyways Damon becomes overprotective of Bonnie and they have a bond and I hope that is what happens in the show

17. Liza says:

I am trying to think of the many ways that Sarah could be related to one of our main characters. Many have suggested Bonnie, but I think that is too obvious. Maybe she is Uncle Zack’s daughter and will be related to Damon and Stefan. Maybe she is a Lockwood and hasn’t triggered her werewolf gene yet. And then there are the many ways that she could be related to Elena and not Jeremy, since Elena was adopted. Maybe she could be another child of Elena’s birth mother. Lots of possibilities. Also, Kai has to be supernatural since he is on the other side, right????

18. Jenn says:

Some good, some bad. Somehow, they made me hate the Stefan/Caroline pairing even more, and I didn’t think that was possible. Is this Caroline’s storyline for the season? Really? How is this even remotely appealing or engaging? It’s not, and I am completely exhausted by watching Caroline’s love life play out week after week. Can we just…not, for once? Thanks, show. I appreciate it.

I am, however, happy to see Elena being normal again and not a raging jerk. Compulsion did wonders for her personality, apparently. Kai is okay. I’m interested to see what’s going on there.

• Fran says:

Caroline has so much potential, it frustrates me that her storylines constantly revolve around which man she currently loves.

• Netty says:

Thank you, I could not have said it better, she does not function if she does not have a love interest. People complain about Elena but I think Caroline is the weakest character on this show. And now I do not know why the writers are making it seem like Stefan is the one who is unreasonable and mean. I absolutely love this new Stefan, and seeing his interactions with Elena was so refreshing. No residue feelings or tension, just friendship, which is something I had really missed on TVD.

• Netty says:

Caroline does not function if she does not have a love interest. People complain about Elena but I think Caroline is the weakest character on this show. And now I do not know why the writers are making it seem like Stefan is the one who is unreasonable and mean. I absolutely love this new Stefan, and seeing his interactions with Elena was so refreshing. No residue feelings or tension, just friendship, which is something I had really missed on TVD.

19. Brigid says:

I loved Stefan last night. That scene with his boss was awesome and the fact that he shot Enzo in the back gave him extra bonus points in my eyes. I can’t stand Enzo, he adds nothing to the show. Elena was fun and no longer whiny and crying and she kissed a boy who wasn’t a Salvatore…kudos to her! Liked the Bonnie and Damon scenes but he is such a douche sometimes. I love how she came back at him about giving up his ring and dying already. Colin Ferguson is creeping me out because all I can see him as is Sherrif Carter on Eureka and he is far removed from that character! Best episode in like a year!!!

20. Amanda Cox says:

Am I the only one who thought Kai and Liam were the same person? I actually had to look at the credits to make sure lol.

21. Kaysinger says:

Bonnie was the ‘Boss’ in this episode. Got her incendia back, did not yell or scream; cool as you like, locks gaze with Damon and says “run”. Damon’s expression, ‘she’s b-a-c-k’…..love it all. # Iluvbadb*tches.

22. Brianna says:

Love the bamon, love the steroline, loving liv/tyler. The stoyline is also solid so far. 6×03 was the best episode of tvd i’ve seen in a while. Everything felt so fresh!

23. slayerx11 says:

Im calling this now…sarah is damon and bonnies kid left in 1994 when they escape. :)