Parenthood Recap: We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Parenthood Joel Julia

Parenthood‘s Joel and Julia have the kind of relationship Taylor Swift songs are made of.

A trip to Sydney’s classmate’s house on Thursday — you know, to make her apologize for being a tiny terror — led to the conversation no fan of the show, or fan of true love for that matter, ever wanted to hear: “We need to tell them we’re not getting back together.”

In the end, though, Julia couldn’t bring herself to say those words — or anything close to those words — to their kids. Instead, she told Sydney that the future is uncertain, then said it’s OK if she’s mad at her parents for putting her in this situation. (Side note: I get that she blames herself, but isn’t it a little weird that we didn’t see Julia scold Sydney for her bullying this week? Is she just going to get a free pass?)

Elsewhere in Berkeley…

OPERATION: ZEEK | Here’s a twist no one could have predicted: Zeek is not adjusting well to life after his heart surgery. He spent most of the hour huffing and puffing and making Camille miserable, and it seemed like no Braverman — not even baby Aida, sans Crosby’s nose — could pull him out of his funk. That’s when Kristina, like a majestic angel from above, took him by the hand and showed him the way. “You don’t have to pretend to be stronger than you feel,” she told him. “But you have to try to get better.”

Parenthood Kristina DylanMAX’S GIRL | It’s not easy making friends in a new school… especially when your instinct is to refer to the other kids, not by their names, but by their placement on the autism spectrum. Yet that’s exactly how “Asperger’s” Max and Dylan began their tragic love story, much to the displeasure of Kristina, who tried to explain to Dylan why you have to treat people with respect. But like the great REO Speedwagon before him, Max just can’t seem to fight his feelings for Dylan, which led him to ask Adam for relationship advice. (Why do I have the feeling this is going to end in disaster?)

HANKY IN THE MIDDLE | Now, let’s take a trip over to that alternate universe where beautiful women fight for Ray Romano’s hand: After catching a pants-less Sarah sneaking out of Hank’s bedroom, Sandy re-iterated her desire for Sarah not to be a part of Ruby’s life, forcing Hank to man up and defend his lady. “We’re not just dating,” he explained to Sandy during the kind of tense breakfast only Parenthood can provide. “We’re not just sleeping together. We’re serious.” Much as she tried to hide it, the hurt in Sandy’s eyes was clear as she ultimately conceded and gave Hank the OK let Sarah and Ruby mingle. (And thank God she did, otherwise we wouldn’t have been blessed with Sarah and Ruby’s Forever 21/Sometimes 40 exchange.)

ROME IF YOU WANT TO | Confession may be good for the soul, but it’s pretty much the worst thing for Crosby’s inner-biker. Telling Jasmine about last week’s accident resulted in an immediate — not to mention strictly enforced — no-motorcycle rule, forcing Crosby to track down Oliver Rome in the family minivan. (Yes, the minivan! That’s like one step up from borrowing Sydney’s Barbie bike!) Speaking of rules, the inmates participants at Oliver’s “healing center,” in addition to being super crazy, were decked out in white way after Labor Day. To make matters worse, Oliver had already signed with another label as a solo artist, making Crosby’s entire minivan-fueled journey a total bust. Is it any wonder why he immediately hopped on the motorcycle upon his return home?

OK, aspiring Bravermans, let’s hear it: Do you think this is really it for Joel and Julia? Could Max and Dylan actually stand a chance? And how much did you miss Amber this week? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. webly3 says:

Another great Parenthood episode. I’m so sad it’s ending. I really hope Joel/Julia somehow get back together. There is still a glimmer of hope!

• Andy Swift says:

He clearly wants to, even if he won’t come right out and say it. She does seem preeeeetty happy with her new guy, though. :-O

• Tee says:

The question is how will the kids react? If Sydney is being a bully at school because her parents are separated, can you imagine what what she’ll be like when she finds out not only are mom and dad not getting back together, but that mom has a boyfriend!?

• Roxy says:

Pls. unite Julia and Joel. They are a great couple and everyone makes mistakes. Joel jumped but at least he hasn’t slept with anyone. I hope it ends with them back. This show has shown good examples but if they divorce than its like any other show on TV.

• Ken says:

Agreed…he may have taken more time to get over her kiss than he should have, but even then he stayed faithful and is now doing his part to fix things. If she insists on a divorce, I hope he at least does not help with it and fights for the marriage/family to the end.

2. Nicole says:

I still think that Crosby could die in an accident as the death this year.

• Keely says:

Me too. At this point I’d be ok with that instead of Zeek dying. I was so glad Christina talked some sense into Zeek to get him moving. The lack of follow up with Sydney’s bullying situation was not cool. I hope they don’t just cast that storyline aside. I wouldn’t mind seeing Ruby take Syd down a peg or two since they’re both snots only to have Amber set both of them straight (total wishful thinking) Why did Julia and her new guy break up in/afterlaw school? Has that been brought up yet? I have a hard time believing this guy is so wonderful there’s just something about him that I don’t like and it’s not because he’s not Joel.

• vallikat says:

I think it was on last week’s show. He said that she had blown him off after a few dates because she said she needed to be more serious about school.

• CJ says:

I have been thinking that as well. I’m pretty sure that would result in the ugliest ugly cry this show has ever caused me :(

• Stacie says:

I thought that maybe he has internal bleeding from the Motorcycle fall last week. And you just know he isn’t going to a doctor. That’s what I was thinking, but I really hope I am wrong.

• shelly says:

I agree…I think it is Crosby that is going to die. They are focusing on his motor yule accident way to much. I think it could even be next week with the way he took off on his bike at the end of this week’s show.

3. Helena says:

I really can’t stand Jasmine. She is such a controlling person. 5 minutes of screen time wasted on her.

4. Benington says:

Parenthood wrote the character of Joel very uncharacteristically last season, just to intentionally create drama.. I always loved Joel and thought he so grounded, realistic and a good guy (mensch). Out of character…he did not fight for his marriage and just left. Then he would not speak to Julia to address their issues over essentially nothing, ( A Kiss.. really!!!) he ends a good marriage. As far as I am concerned they painted his character into a corner and now I hope that Julia does not take him back based on his behavior last season. I want her to move on because in real life not every couple has a happy ending. Too little…too late for Joel

• jj says:

The kiss was just the final straw. Julia was having an emotional affair with another man. And more importantly Julia never puts Joel first. For years, he sacrificed his career for hers. But when finally they decide to put his career first, she wouldn’t provide him with the support he provided her for years. She was still putting herself first. She broke him.

• robinepowell says:

She needed emotional support from Joel because she was struggling to be a stay at home mom and Joel wasn’t helping.

• Tee says:

Joel was the stay at home dad for the whole series up until last season. I don’t think it was until they got Victor that Julia quit her job. And if I remember correctly it was abruptly. I think her boss said something slightly offensive about her having kids, and she just quit. Didn’t discuss with her husband.

• Jack says:

Personally, I dont consider a kiss to be nothing. Especially when she lies about it before she admits it.

5. Patrick says:

Why didn’t someone from the Braverman clan turn the TV off and put the remote on the opposite side of the room? Surely someone that interested in the John Wayne marathon would have gone the extra mile to get the remote back.

6. Lizo says:

I have hated this entire Joel/Julia story. It just doesn’t make any sense.

7. Kim R says:

After being so mad at Joel last season (speaking of myself of course!) I like how the writers are bringing me around to root for he and Julia again. I do hope that they can work it out. Life doesn’t always end up with a sweet bow tied around it but I could live with that in this case. :) The Zeek storyline after heart surgery was so on the money. My dad had open heart surgery and it was all very familiar. Well done! I am enjoying the school and all the interactions it involves. Hank and Sarah are a little boring to me and I wish I could put out of my mind that someone may die because last night I was thinking Crosby’s ribs are really going to take him out!

• jj says:

The hank storyline is boring. I wish Sarah’s final storyline was actually about her instead of being a supporting character in Hank’s storyline

8. Sarah T. says:

I think (and really hope) that Julia and Joel manage to work it out this year. I do think that Joel was written a little out of character last year and I think his actions were foolish. However, I think Julia was screechy and difficult last year too. I’m hoping that they find a way to make it work by the end of the season.
    I’m really not a fan of the Hank/Sarah storyline. I do feel like she’s playing 2nd fiddle to his character and I wish the focus was more on her. I’ve never been a big fan of his though so I’m sure that’s part of it.
    Overall, good solid episode (as always)!

9. Valkyrje says:

I adore this show and appreciate anything that gets me a weekly dose of Lauren Graham, but is it just me or has the writing been pretty bad this season? Maybe it’s because they only have 13 episodes, but I feel like they’re not letting the storylines and the characters breathe, trying to fit as much into an episode as humanly possible. (It also bugs me how similar Sarah’s storyline is to how things turned out for Lorelai on Gilmore Girls.)

10. robinepowell says:

Julia and Joel really need to address Sydney’s bullying. It’ll only get worse if they don’t.

I’d like to know why Oliver Rome signed a contract as a single artist with another company.

• BrazenSongBird says:

Oliver Rome is an artistic, creative, selfish, out and out flake who needs to be wrangled constantly. My guess is that with all of the things that were pulling their focus (Adam-Haddie being in town and opening the school. Crosby-single-handedly running the day to day in the increasingly-busy studio, new baby at home. Both-Zeke) that they just took their eye off of Oliver long enough for him to stray. And don’t forget, Crosby and Adam are not the coolest guys when it comes to record label execs, and Oliver could have easily had his head turned by a “flashier” opportunity.

11. Great epi, i know believe in hope for Joel. Because i don’t like new guy on PRINCIPLE. But I can’t be the only one that a)is extremely stressed that Crosby hasn’t gone to the DR. b) noticed that he wasn’t wearing a helmet when he left at the end and spent the next segment stressing and rationalizing that it was daytime and zeke was still “happy” so crosby was probably not in another accident!

• Tee says:

Obviously Julia is into the old boyfriend because of memories form when they were together, a giant bag of Twizzlers (yuck!), and apparently good sex. Really??? Fans of the show are just supposed to accept that in the last season Julia and Joel will permanently be over for a cute lawyer who caters to Julia’s Twizzlers addiction, who she used to bang in college and is banging again, and say adios to the guy who was her husband and there for everyone (Even though it was in a handy man capacity)?

12. Tran says:

If only they would’ve played We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift in the background.

13. schu says:

Kristina and Zeek, all I needed to tear right on up. Great moment for their characters.

14. Anon says:

People still watch Parenthood?

15. Ugh says:

During Crosby’s motorcycle excursion last week, I kept thinking that he was going to get in an accident and he was going to be the one who dies this season…I still have a bad feeling.

16. Jennifer says:

Soooo many commercials! Is it just me or are there more than other seasons???

17. Rose H says:

I love Christina! She was the only one who could get Zeke off the sofa. And Julia and Joel definitely have to get back together. They belong together. And they need to have a serious talk with Sydney. That girl is too pouty!

18. Donna says:

Yikes….If they kill off Crosby it will ruin the ENTIRE series for me. Please do not do that to fans of this show….And,yes, get Julia and Joel back together. Work with us here….Did any one notice that Crosby and Jasmine’s baby changed colors from season 5 to 6??

19. Roxy says:

20. Saabgirlatx says:

I think if Joel and Julia DO get back together it will be unrealistic and just to appease the fans. Because those strong resentments they both have don’t just go away because you decide to stay together. Sometimes they grow even – especially because Julia has slept with someone else – do we really think that won’t bother Joel forever?? Yes, it’s just a TV show but I think it would be more realistic if they split up – like so many couples do – and remain friends. I do no expect this to happen on the show-I think the writers will reunite them.

21. James Butler says:

As for Joel and Julia they both have made mistakes and now she is blaming him for everything. If she hadn’t sought out another man and had that kiss none of this would have happen. And Sarah and Hank are the worst couple ever. Hank is annoying and cryptic
    and not a good match for Sarah but she seems to always choose the wrong person. I don’t know why they are bringing Mark back in late season but I hope it’s not for Sarah.

22. Jan says:

I always miss Amber; she’s my favorite character!

23. DJ says:

Didn’t miss Amber; she cries entirely too much. Dunno about Joel and Julia, but loved that she’s running things now. Don’t really care about Max and Dylan, but it will be interesting to watch.