CBS Launches Stand-Alone Streaming Service

105482_D1037b

The floodgates have officially opened.

Just a day after HBO unveiled plans for a Netflix-style Internet-only subscription service, CBS announced Thursday that it too is launching an on-demand streaming offshoot called CBS All Access.

For $5.99 per month, subscribers will have access to thousands of CBS episodes from the current season (with fresh episodes available the day after broadcast) as well as previous seasons.

Thousands of epsidoes from classic shows (including Star Trek, Twin Peaks and Cheers) also are ripe for bingeing.

CBS All Access is available now at CBS.com and on mobile devices through the CBS App for iOS and Android.

CBS All Access is another key step in the Company’s long-standing strategy of monetizing our local and national content in the ways that viewers want it,” said Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, in a statement. “This new subscription service will deliver the most of CBS to our biggest fans while being additive to the overall ecosystem. Across the board, we continue to capitalize on technological advances that help consumers engage with our world-class programming, and we look forward to serving our viewers in this new and exciting way.”

1. Nelly says:

Now give us How I Met Your Dad,and we all will be happy!

• Ames says:

I don’t know who you are referring to when u say “we all” but NO…just NO

• Jeremy Wilhm says:

There is an idea here though. If the people who subscribe to this service have access to pilot episodes for shows that are being considered for pick-up, or some other special content that is not available through the free broadcast signal, then I could see this being worth the fee. It’s called CBS All-Access. Give us access to EVERY piece of content: current shows, old shows, failed pilots, behind the scenes featurettes, EVERYTHING!

• Brizzle says:

I agree!

• Tammy says:

Jeremy Wilhn I agree we should have access to everything since as u pointed out it is cbs all access. Also I have a problem with the fact that my fav older program (JAG) should have roughly 220 episodes only has 83. What’s up with that. I imagine they own or whatever all episodes so why do we get to watch the first of to b continued & the next episode is missing . That really. BLOWS. Come on cbs, y can’t u give us all episodes???????

2. Boiler says:

How can people watch TV shows on their phones or iPads. The only thing I can this good for is computer. Of course I am an old guy so there is that

• Mark says:

How? They download the appropriate app and use it.

• Paul says:

He means how can people enjoy watching it on a 9 inch screen compared to a 50 inch screen.

• Jay says:

Watch a 50 inch TV from several yards away and then hold a 5.5 inch phone up to your face. Which is really the tiniest picture?

• John NYC says:

That’s the thing. Oh and on many of the better mobile device screens today the image is actually sharper on the smaller device than a number of televisions out there.

It’s not the same “theater” experience, but it’s a viable option.

“There is that..”. No there isn’t: Granted I was programming in the sixties but anyway…. I hate that rationale.

• Name That Tune says:

If you’re on the road, you can. Plug that smart phone into your car speakers and you got TV all the time.

• Mike says:

Stop thinking of a TV as a TV. Think of it as a big computer monitor. Between “Smart TV” apps, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon FireTV, Android TV, Apple TV, or even hooking up a tablet or PC to it, there are a number of ways to get streaming video onto your big screen. Many of us have been doing it for years.

• Boiler says:

I think the service is great. I am certainly not gonna watch it on my phone. I can hook my computer to the TV great. In a few years eye doctors are going to be rich:)

• Alex says:

Watching on a tiny little phone screen does suck bad. I hate watching on a computer as well. TV is the way to go!

3. MARIVETT VILLAFANE says:

This is great news for me if it’s available in Puerto RIco. Since Oct. of last year we don’t have CBS anymore and it doesn’t let us access CBS online either, we get Not Available in your Region messages….

4. Now they just need an Apple TV App.

5. I’ve been wanting to cut the cord (since most shows are online now), but I love watching TV live. And I also am a big sports fan. Until there’s a reasonably affordable service that gives me that, I’, stuck with cable.

6. Eric says:

I just want to know if it’s like Netflix or Hulu (commercial even though we pay for the service)

7. David4 says:

So $8 for Netflix, $6 for CBS, whatever for HBO, then NBC and ABC and WB and Fox will all do this and it will just be insane.

• Maggie says:

And yet, it will still be cheaper than what I pay comcast for cable!

• dkwilley says:

pay for hulu plus at $8 a month and you get ALL networks except CBS. I hope CBS keeps the .com free, but if not, I’ll just be watching them on DVD after the fact again. not paying for each individual network!! that kind of kills the savings from cutting the cord…..

• JC1 says:

I wish CBS would get on board with Hulu. :(

• S. says:

Well you already get Star Trek, every episode, on Hulu (or is is Hulu+ ? I dunno, cuz that’s what I already have) so to a degree they do have a presence.

• JC1 says:

I’m aware of that. I was referring to putting up episodes of currently airing shows. As far as I know they’re the only one of the five main broadcast networks that isn’t doing that.

• Dan Mills says:

cbs is greedy…….

• Ashley says:

I agree for $8 I get access to FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW on Hulu. CBS makes it practically impossible to watch their content if you miss it live and they are very exclusive. They don’t allow their content on Hulu or Netflix for the most part. I don’t think they should be rewarded and shown to be these great pioneers of television future when in reality they are just greedy. Shame on you for comparing yourself to Netflix, CBS.

• cdhaskell says:

I will waited until the DVD become available. It will be cheaper than all the monthly cost.

• Christine says:

I totally agree with you on CBS being greedy. But if I could get an app for my Roku I would get it and purchase CBS.com so that I could watch new show series.

• S Cubed says:

And you still have to watch all the commercials which is already more revenue in their pockets . . . I’m considering boycotting CBS for their greed and quit watching them all together !!!

8. Kristin says:

Yeah so they can now suck you for money when their football coverage goes over on Sundays.

9. silverwings says:

so what if I miss an episode and my DVR fails to record it and I want to watch it online (like I do now)? Is that going to go away? In order to stream CBS shows am I going to be forced to pay $6? If I am already paying for cable, will this fee be waived (why should I pay twice for the same show access)?

• JenJ says:

Since I have Comcast and they have just about every TV show On Demand, I hope this doesn’t affect that. If I miss one of my shows or if there is a conflict with other shows at the same time, I allways watch them On Demand then.

• SouthernBelle says:

I just deleted my CBS app from my phone. Too bad they are charging now for viewing online. Oh well, it had so many commercials on it anyway, and they were so repetitive and annoying. But it was a nice convenience for when the DVR didn’t work or power went out and I want to watch Young and the Restless. This is disappointing, CBS.

• JC in New Jersey says:

I agree, just deleted my CBS app too. It’s so disappointing. I’m going to miss watching Y&R, B&B, and Person of Interest online. I’m boycotting CBS, so I won’t be watching them on my cable network either.

• KDC says:

I cannot believe how how unprofessional the CBS app is. The commercial cutaways are at not timed properly, tungsten are too many commercial interruptions, and the repetitiveness is akin to torture. Why does Kohls believe forcing me to watch an overweight man shaking his booty every 5 minutes would make me want to shop at their site? Pure stupidity.

10. bj says:

Will this only be inside the U.S.?

11. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see how many people will sub to streaming service online. I would wait for show was available on DVD format and buy it.

12. MARIVETT VILLAFANE says:

Well this sucks… I just tried and it’s not available in Puerto Rico…

• cdhaskell says:

I will waited the show is available on DVD.

• Swiftus Lazarus says:

Marivett, if it’s THAT big a deal for you….if you have a friend stateside with cable, pay them the $4 a month for an extra cable box (and maybe a few dollars extra for power), attach it to a sling box…and voila!…whatever cable service THEY have…you have. Get ALL the channels, VOD…everything…for the price of CBS alone.

13. Leonela Torres says:

This would be all great and dandy if they actually uploaded shows the day after they aired and not like a week later. Abc and NBC load their shows by the next morning but CBS can’t figure out how to do that! I have to wait a week to see the week befores episode of the GOod Wife

14. lqza says:

Will this be available outside the US?

15. michelle says:

Cbs does not play well with others. Fighting hulu when everyone is there except them. Sounds greedy to me

• herman1959 says:

Yup, CBS made a deal with Amazon to show Extant this past Summer, it’s definitely about the money. As for me, the only CBS show I watched was Extant and I will make sure I watch it live when it comes back. I have hulu for everything else.

16. Robert says:

I think this is the future! People are tired of paying high prices for cable packages that includes channels they have no desire to watch. People should be able to only watch what they are willing to pay for at a reasonable price, which should give the cable companies some serious competition and force them to do.something about their high prices.

• Allie says:

I’m just worried that Time Warner/Comcast/etc are just going to hike internet prices in retaliation.

• herman1959 says:

That would just be dumb on their part because it would just move people out of cable. We’ve been out of cable for over two years. We’re making it work with Roku/hulu and an antenna for local stations and saving $. We’re never going back!

• erik says:

And when Comcast et al double your internet access fees, your Roku/Hulu will still cost more overall…

• herman1959 says:

In my area, Comcast is in direct completion with Verizon, so they will not be doubling anything.

• herman1959 says:

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that my internet provider is Verizon, we switched from Comcast may years ago because of the frequent outages.

• I have TWC and they tell me it’s *cheaper* to have their standard cable package with my Internet. I seriously DON’T want TV at all. Between Netflix, Hulu, and DVDs, I have plenty to keep me busy.

• herman1959 says:

You should check it out for yourself – do the research. What TWC is telling you just doesn’t “sound right” to me. Save yourself the money you pay for the TV cable you don’t want and use it for snacks.

• tp says:

I used to have TWC. It’s true. They will jack up the price if you don’t get basic. So you’re getting more w/basic than with just cable. Either way you will pay for it.

• CF says:

Sorry but $6 a month for access to TV I get is not a reasonable price. And even if I didn’t get it why should I have to pay for all the crap on CBS that I don’t like. I watch 60 Minutes, NCIS, NCIS New Orleans, Big Bang and Elementary That’s not worth $72 a year, especially as this represents all of 22 or 23 episodes per year for each show. I hope this goes down in flames as with the exception of being able to stream and watch elsewhere or catch a show that you missed the night before there isn’t much utility for me.

17. David G. Stern says:

The trending is away from standard TV and to Internet streaming. CBS already offers a lot of those shows for FREE so I am not sure how $5.99 a month is going to go over, especially when for just a few dollars more Netflix offers so much more inventory. I think a $1.99 or $2.99 price point would generate a lot more volume. Maybe someone will come up with a TV Bundle that gives you CBS-NBC-ABC-FOX for a flat fee. Jeez, I’d never get any work done!

18. Adam says:

Add support for Apple TV and roku, and then we’ll talk.

19. Netflix – 10 USD
    HBO – Probably 10 USD
    ABC – Probably 6 USD
    CBS – 6 USD
    FOX – Probably 6 USD
    The CW – Probably 6 USD
    NBC – Probably 6 USD

That’s a total of 50 USD a month, and that’s just 7 channels with overlapping releaseschedules. In addition there’s all the other channels with original programming like TNT, USA and Syfy.

How much does cable cost? And how many channels do you get?

20. Stephanie says:

I’ll stick with Netflix thanks

21. Ing says:

Except for HBO, in the news of this, you all are complaining about cable prices in relation to watching CBS, which is dumb, since you get CBS without cable. It’s why it is called a broadcast channel. The fact that CBS would make you pay money to stream it online is stupid since it is currently free to watch live. But I guess having past seasons of things and old shows would be worth it, but as for a switch from cable, when it comes to the broadcast networks, you are saving no money if you decided to just forego cable altogether, and watch it live on your tv over digital antenna. This works for HD too.

22. Chris says:

Does this mean shows like How I Met Your Mother, Cheers, and Frasier will be taken off of Netflix?

• fedfan81 says:

Oh I bet! Somehow I’m starting to see this for what it is, a money grab by the networks to bankrupt Netflix

• herman1959 says:

The same thing happened with Warner Bros. film catalog. They started removing films from Netflix, then started their own service.

23. Me says:

The streaming services are becoming too numerous.

24. Ashley says:

Except for us Canadians! So while this sounds like a great idea, I will never be able to access any of it.

• Dee says:

And neither will any of us ex-pats now living outside the US, even though our local stations have purchased the rights to broadcast some of the CBS programs. We do have a ‘catch up’ service, through sky tv, but under the licensing agreements we only get a week after broadcast to view most missed programs. No good if your DVR fails to record and you don’t discover it right away!

25. mike says:

Good, now lets get it on the Xbox One app list. Really the only channel keeping me from dropping cable all together

26. Et al says:

CBS would need to pay me to watch most of their shows.

27. Drew says:

As long as Price is Right is included, I am on board! Whenever Sports don’t get blacked out locally online, that is when I will cut the cord. I pay $180 a month for cable and internet. It’s insanity. Sports is literally the only thing that is holding me ( and I am sure a lot of people) back from being completely done with cable.

28. Mark Coleman says:

About Time it gives the consumer some choice to avoid the monopolies.

29. Nick says:

I guess CBS really thinks that it will make more money this way than licensing out its content to Netflix or Hulu. Interesting.

30. Kenny says:

NBC next please!

31. Liam says:

I wonder if this will include the CW network because it is owned by CBS.

32. Tv2day says:

The biggest ratings on TV by far are live NFL n college football. Until those live sports r included cable will not be going anywhere. Also, if every network we watch now on cable does ala cart the price would be the same as what we pay now. Also streaming services rarely stream 1080p, so ur nice new 1080p/4k TV will not be used to its full potential. I for one will not watch an NFL game or Hollywood 100 million dollar blockbuster on a 10 inch tablet.

33. So now i am going to have to pay for each channel? I like my HULU. or my Netflix. This is going to be annoying.

34. julia woody says:

Not really a big deal to me. Very few shows on CBS interest me. Madam Secretary and The Good Wife constantly preempted by football- a gazillion commercials every 10 minutes. I’ll give Hulu Plus and Netflix $7.99 anytime.

35. Joel says:

CBS all access will not come up on my roku

36. give us cut scenes from editing floor and no frigin commercials

37. Eileen says:

How greedy can CBS get. We will just stop watching CBS. The other channels are wonderful and we will watch them. I hope they go bankrupt- this is all about them and not their customers.

• Carol says:

Us too. They get $ from all the commercials sponsoring the programs and now dipping into our pockets also. I think not. Will be sorry to lose a few shows they air but not sorry enough to see these hogs get paid twice.

38. Julia says:

so… they should call it an “early access” pass. Aside from streaming old shows, the benefit is being able to watch (on their same mobile app) shows the day after they air live instead of a week later (which is how they currently offer shows online).

39. L says:

We have to pay for internet service, wireless service..and now an ordinary network thinks it can force us to pay to watch it. Bye bye CBS…I love your shows. But I don’t pay for cable and I’m sure as heck not going to pay for network tv

40. The i – Phone 6 would have a bigger screen than the
    i – Phone 5S. A high-end smartphone device, the Blackberry Torch 9800 is
    crammed to the maximum with features that would make anyone
    fall for this smarty. So whether your an amature who just wants to snap a few vacation photos, or a pro who wants to improve the quality of their cell phone pics, snap away and experiment with the
    results.

41. KT says:

Guess I’ll have to stop catching up on CBS shows if I miss them. And if I miss an episode I stop watching the show.

Would have been nice if they have given warning. I’d been slowly catching up on Unforgettable and had only the FINAL series episode to watch. If I had known they were going to yank it I would’ve watched it when I could. While I’m willing to watch ads to see their show online I’m not going to pay them for it.

42. JC in New Jersey says:

CBS offers 3 shows that I watch regularly, and I watch them online on the weekend. I refuse to pay a $6 monthly fee to watch them and pay my cable company. So, goodbye to my CBS programs as I will not be watching them anymore, not even on my cable network. I hope enough people boycott CBS, so they see the error of their greed

43. can the service be used in mexico

44. what is the channel code for ROKU

45. Marsha Stoll says:

I will no longer be watching your show online. I refuse to pay a monthly fee.

46. tinamarlin says:

I’m getting NOTHING live from local station in Miami. Do I have to dispute my credit card?

47. John Kania says:

How greedy can CBS get? The network collects money from advertisers who pay by the total number of viewers. So now the free service, advertising supported, is gone. Now we have to watch commercials AND pay for it. Count me out.

48. John Kania says:

I get the VCR back out. Tape the show and when I watch it I can FF thru the commercials.

49. Brad kvande says: