Pilot News: Rob Lowe to Play Overzealous Dad in NBC Comedy

Rob Lowe NBC Comedy Pilot Cast

Rob Lowe‘s vacation from NBC may not last that long, after all.

The Parks and Recreation actor will lead a comedy pilot about a newly sober narcissist whose decision to be a good parent doesn’t come until his kids are teens, our sister site Deadline reports.

The potential NBC comedy follows Lowe’s character, who dries out and returns to his hometown to issue mea culpas to his son and daughter, as well as to his ex-wife and her new family.

The part was written for the West Wing vet, who partnered with the project’s writers/executive producers — Pete Huyck and Alex Gregory (Late Show With David Letterman) — last year on The Pro, another comedy pilot that was not chosen to proceed to series.

Lowe departed Parks and Rec earlier this year after four seasons as public servant/fitness enthusiast Chris Traeger.

1. Sparky says:

Yay to having Rob Lowe back as the lead in a TV show!!! I know he has grown up kids but he’s just too damn good looking to be a Dad and he never ages!!!

2. Et al says:

Has he quit this show yet?

• Kristina says:

+100

• Damian says:

Is there some kind of clause that states an actor must stay with a show to the very end? This whole “an actor on a popular owes the viewer to stay until the end” song is getting old.

• Brooke says:

I typically agree with you, BUT Lowe does have a rather notorious pattern with leaving shows midstream, and he stands out from all other TV actors that I can think of in that regard. It’s the thought that popped into my head when I saw the headline. I enjoy his acting quite a bit, but he’s kind of like Lucy with the football.

3. Me says:

Isn’t this the basic plot to “mom”?

4. Lizo says:

oh good, another show for him to quit after four seasons after he gets “bored”

5. Allyson says:

I wonder how many years he will stick to this show before he gets bored again.

6. dman6015 says:

Is he going to quit after the second season (assuming it makes it that far)?

7. Paul says:

Will it be regular Rob Lowe, Less-Attractive Rob Lowe, or Super-Creepy Rob Lowe?

8. TBMeow says:

Thank you Damien. I don’t get the big deal with Rob Lowe leaving 3 shows either. 4 seasons is a long time for a tv show. There are other actors that come and go. Tells me these complainers must have really really liked him on these shows. There will never be a Sam Seaborn and I was sad for him to go. But glad he did with the way the character was being
    treated season 4 and Sorkin leaving. (What? Aaron Sorkin left a show he created?) I prayed Lowe would leave Brothers & Sisters that got so silly. And P&R is done this season. ^..^

9. lechatnoir says:

his lip gloss is poppin’

10. Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking the time and actual effort
    to generate a top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a
    whole lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.