Marc Cherry, Neal Baer Developing CW Spy Drama Cheerleader Death Squad

The CW Logo

The man who brought us Desperate Housewives and Devious Maids will next shine his spotlight on the most cunning females of all: American cheerleaders.

RELATED Lifetime’s Devious Maids Renewed for Season 3

Marc Cherry is teaming up with Under the Dome showrunner Neal Baer for a CW drama described as “Heathers meets Alias,” according to our sister site Deadline. Titled Cheerleader Death Squad, the thriller follows a CIA agent-turned-teacher who transforms select students at his elite Washington, D.C., high school into spies.

The script is being co-written by Cherry, Baer and Dan Truly (Blue Bloods). All three will executive-produce, along with Sabrina Wind (Devious Maids).

Does Cheerleader Death Squad sound like something you’d check out? Drop a comment with your initial thoughts below.

1. Jen says:

I want to say I’m interested, but wow, the name of the show is just awful. It’s not nearly as bad as “Jane the Virgin,” but it’s up there with an awful name. Couldn’t they have come up with a name that wasn’t so…. well, stupid? I’d be a little embarrassed to say I’m a fan of a show called “Cheerleader Death Squad.” I might be a little too harsh, but the name sounds awful.

• James says:

Do you want “Totally Spies”? The premise of the show reminds me so much of that much beloved Italian-made animated series. :)

• Cory says:

Jane the Virgin is one of the best titles of the season. :)

• Wordsmith says:

“Cheerleader Death Squad” has a campy feel, if they are going for a humorously ironic tone. They could shorten it to just “The Squad,” which preserves the clever double entendre, but with less camp.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

See, to me it has connotations of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” – kind of tongue-in-cheek camp. And honestly, the name sold me on the show before seeing the premise!

And yes, it totally sounds like “Totally Spies: The Live-Action Series”. Or possibly “Kim Possible and Friends”.

2. tvgal says:

Just change it from high school to college and I’ll prefer it.
    Hope it gets ordered for pilot.

3. Kubrick says:

charlie’s angels?

4. KN says:

That may be the best title for a series since Desperate Housewives.

5. Ray says:

Isn’t there a Japanese anime about a team of trained assassin girls who are also high school exchange students? I swear I saw that somewhere.

6. Haley says:

This sounds like a real life Kim Possible!!! I want to see how they do it. Because they could make it good. Or just a very cheesy Power Rangers with out the bad costumes

7. Alyse says:

It sounds like the live action version of totally spies.

8. asid says:

Totally spies is a franco canadian anime

9. Ashbash says:

So they’re basically making a live action version of a Totally Spies. I can live with that

10. Ram510 says:

I want to be excited about this one cause it’s Marc Cherry but I just can’t get there. I’ll still check it out though

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Oh, if they don’t cast at LEAST one of the She Spies as one of the mothers, I’ll be so very disappointed now…

11. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

The name doesn’t put me off as I have watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Awkward (for a time), Cougar Town (for 1 season), Faking It and Jane the Virgin. I am more dismayed that anyone from Under the Dome is going to have something to do with this.

And just to double check the premise, some 40+ adult male is going to train a select group of 16-18 year old girls and possibly boys to assassinate threats to the US. So this is an officially sanctioned operation by the US Government? Won’t they be limited by their classes?

12. Dizzle says:

So…. Hellcats with spy tech, basically. Eh, why not, beats another cop show, and it’s not like The CW’s a stranger to high-concept.

13. Mike says:

Sigh. Why do I get this deep dark feeling that this show will make it to air solely based on Snakes on a Plane-style “so obviously ludicrous it’s gotta be fun” morbid curiosity?

14. Rena Moretti says:

The title says it all: Yet another horrible DOA CW show.

You’d think Marc Cherry would have enough pul in Hollywood not to have to do crap like this… :(

15. Shaun says:

Hope they have the Nikita director.

16. THe name is AWFUl. Re-name it. As a cheer coach I cannot in all honesty say that I would watch this unless it has a new name and some actual decent cheering. p.s. I miss hell cats :(

17. Sounds like it will be a cross between Totally Spies & D.E.B.S