Revenge Recap: A Shot in the Dark

Revenge Season 4 Recap

After three seasons of sudsy buildup, the highly anticipated reunion of “Emily Thorne” and David Clarke went down pretty much exactly how longtime Revenge fans expected it would: with gunfire.

RELATED Revenge Enlists True Blood Alum to Head Up [Spoiler]’s Murder Case

In all fairness, Emily didn’t know it was her father who broke into her house on Sunday’s episode, and David didn’t know he was standing creepily (read: so creepily!) over his sleeping daughter’s body. All he knew was that this “Emily” chick was standing in the way of his happily-ever-after with Victoria, and that meant she had to be taken care of.

Fortunately, Nolan “Quickdraw” Ross was able to scare David off with a warning shot — it technically a miss, but it was still totally badass, so I’ll let it slide — saving Emily’s life for the millionth time. That guy needs a vacation (or just new friends).

Elsewhere this week:

LIES MY MOTHER TOLD… EVERYONE | L’s and G’s, the Twitter rumors are true: Victoria was spotted in Manhattan this week, attempting to reconnect with the two estranged train wrecks she calls children. Charlotte proved significantly more receptive than Daniel, inviting her mother into her hotel room for a big-ass cup of honest-tea. But Charlotte’s stories — “Emily is Amanda” and “I set the fire” — proved far less titillating than Victoria’s: “Your real father is alive and we’re all going to hide like Hobbits together.”

That’s when things started getting got even more warped: Victoria credited Charlotte with taking down Conrad and exonerating David, a fact she neglected to share with Emily during her trip out to the cabin. In fact, Victoria was too busy pointing a shotgun at Emily, Fuzzy Lumpkins-style, to say much of anything to her arch nemesis. And can we talk about how Emily and Victoria’s relationship has progressed to the point where a shotgun standoff in the woods is now, like, brunch-level casual? These. Women.

Of course, Victoria’s final shot of the night wasn’t fired from the barrel of a gun. Unbeknownst to Daniel, she paid Margaux a visit to relay just how badly the Graysons’ financial situation has become in the wake of Conrad’s, well, wake. And poor Margie fell for the sob story — hook, line and weird haircut sinker.

PLAN B | While Victoria and Charlotte attempted to get their lives back together — good luck with that, ladies — Daniel’s entire existence pretty much nosedived right into the potty. Not only was he kicked out of his hotel for having no more dollars, but rumor has it no one in town is willing to hire him. Margaux offered to lend her services, but do we think she really cares about him? (That’s not a rhetorical question, by the way. I was born with the unfortunate inability to read French emotions.)

GEEZ, LOUISE | Speaking of Daniel… Victoria’s old asylum buddy Louise “bumped into” her in Manhattan, but when Mama Grayson gave her the cold shoulder, she set her sights on a far more impressionable member of the family: Li’l Daniel. (Obvious spoiler alert: This partnership won’t end well.)

JACK DON’T KNOW JACK | Jack spent the first part of the hour sifting through the wreckage of his bar/life, and it took literally no time for him to discover that Charlotte set the fire. (Color me shocked that everyone cracked that criminal mastermind’s multi-layered plan.) Jack’s not really sure what he wants to do next with his life, but you can bet his future doesn’t include rebuilding the Stowaway. Exchanging long, romantic glances with Emily, however? Don’t worry, there’ll still be plenty of that.

TO PERV AND PROTECT | Don’t expect Officer Ben to get promoted to detective anytime soon, because that dude can not take a hint. Jack’s hot-yet-somehow-still-undesirable cop buddy bumped into Emily, following her little shotgun-standoff with Vicky, and attempted to flip a routine examination into a romantic rendezvous. I mean, do we think he really cares how her car works? If he just wants to check under her hood, he doesn’t have to resort to euphemisms.

Revenge fans, are you pumped for Emily and David’s actual (conscious) reunion next week? Do you think she should give Ben a chance? And Daniel… ugh, am I right? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

1. Candice says:

I think you mean Emily and David and not Emily and Conrad.

Other than that, great review.

2. Fan says:

Kill Daniel, kill Charlotte, kill Victoria. Happy endings for Jack, Nolan, and Emily please.

• Andy Swift says:

I won’t put you jail for Daniel or Charlotte… but Victoria? I think we still need to keep her for a while.

• ngirl says:

I completely agree. Team Emily.

• adam says:

I disagree, i don’t want Charlotte to die. She is still Emily’s sister after all, i don’t think Emily needs to lose anyone else. I would prefer Charlotte to leave, alive. Also, in defence of Charlotte, she was raised by Victoria and Conrad, she seen a video of her mother saying she didn’t want her. She’s a drug addict, the person she loved died, her baby died, the person she thought was her sister died, she had thought her birth father was dead, the man who raised her is dead and she found out everyone she’s ever known lied to her.

• Exactly. I guess I see the potential in Charlotte, she has a good heart, just never had an opportunity to use it except with Declan. With Jack, but then… she feels everybody has betrayed her, and most of them have, even if they had good reasons.

3. Kate says:

I do sort of think that David sort of recognized his own daughter there at the end, but he does seem a little crazy. It’ll be funny that not only was I sort of being snarky when Nolan said he’d be staying over (the person David will believe) but now not only is Nolan around to tell him and Jack, there is now Charlotte who I sense will becoming down from whatever high she has been on and even in her craziness will start to see Victoria’s machinations and see behind some of the stuff that Emily did to her.

• Alichat says:

I got that impression as well. I was expecting that he was going to see the picture Jack brought over and that Emily had neatly placed next to her bed. But I believe there was a moment of recognition on his face….that he realized she is Amanda. And frankly, I’d be happy to see him return and throttle the crap out of Victoria. Her entire ‘she will pay for what she has done to our family’ drivel was vomit inducting.

• Julie says:

Yeah I got the feeling he recognized her too. I mean – I understand she was a kid and all. But I would still think that one would recognize their own daughter, even years later.

• Chester says:

I also thought David recognized Emily and was on his way out when Nolan came in.

• Terry says:

If he suspected Emily was Amanda, it was definitely confirmed when he saw Nolan, assuming he saw Nolan as he ducked for cover from the bullet firing at his head. Now maybe he’ll smarten up about Victoria and stop being such a lame-o.

4. Jason says:

Emily and David’s not Emily and Conrad’s…questions section above.

5. N says:

Yes! I want to see Ems pick her Dad out of the lineup!

6. Tamara says:

Is Conrad back or was that a typo?

7. maayanelson says:

is it just me, or is louise someone Emelly paid to follow Victoria back in the hospital, and now that Victoria is out emelly got her out as well and this is why she didn’t run to manhattan like Nolan wanted, because she already had eyes on Victoria.

8. BrittBrat says:

Why won’t they let Jack have anything? They killed his whole family (minus Carl) and then burned his house/bar down! My goodness I’m even 2 minutes in!!!!

• Dawn says:

Oh my gosh I agree, poor Jack! And where is Carl these days?

• cam says:

Do we care about Jack if we don’t pity him? Where is Carl? One less reason for him to be in the Hamptons with the bar gone!He should apply for a transfer if he wants to be a good cop, because now all he does is keeping quiet…And Emily hasn’t really started yet with her usual agendas.

9. wintowin68 says:

magnificent post, very informative. I wonder why
    the other experts of this sector don’t understand this.
    You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you
    have a great readers’ base already!

10. Maryann says:

Thanks for the excellent summation. It saves me having to watch the trainwreck this show has become.

11. Emma says:

So when will Conrad ACTUALLY return? The show just ain’t the same without the only charming Grayson. He’s missed alright.

12. David, without a doubt, knew the second he saw Emily that she was his daughter. How could a father not know? Hence the hesitation and epiphany which preceded Nolan’s shot.

• Michelle says:

Especially since he told Charlotte that he remembered her eyes when Victoria brought her to see in him in jail all those years ago.

13. Garett says:

So far season 4 showed me: two women in epic cat fights (Emily, Victoria), a father who is stupid and blinded by love (David), a plot device to make things barely interesting (Charlotte), and the rest are time fillers (Daniel, Margaux, Gideon). Hmph. I need more Nolan.

14. Estelle Verster says:

Yep,David did recognise Emily. I hope Charlotte gets her conscience back and turns to Emily. That will be one in the eye for her evil mother. I hope David cotton on to Victoria.s manipulations and decide to play her at her own game. I think Emily was using Louise to keep an eye on Victoria. Though Louise should definitely be locked up. Watch out! It’s never good to cross a bunny boiler.

15. DL says:

Not gonna watch until it’s confirmed next week that David knows Em is his daughter. Couldn’t stand the idea of them pitted against each other.

• nikkibks says:

I’m with you if the show is going to have Emily & David against I won’t watch! That goes against everything this show was based on and I can’t take it!

16. bj says:

Don’t you think David would have recognized Nolan, the one person in the world he trusted?

I also sensed a moment of recognition on his face when he looked at Emily.

• Yeah…I am not sure I agree with Andy that David didn’t recognize his daughter. Had he not recognized her, he would have had little reason to pause before killing her. I thought it was clear in his look that he recognized his daughter.

• Someone says:

Oops, should’ve read down before I commented. I noticed the same thing. And by recognizing Nolan, he would then know that the blonde lady Victoria hates is his daughter because Nolan is doing exactly what he told Nolan to do – watch over Amanda.

17. Iakovos says:

I think we need to wrap this one up. It is difficult to support any of the Graysons, even Charlotte. Everyone is so selfish and cruel and heartless and guilty of major felonies, even the so-called heroes. Sense the endgame has to be Emily and Jack. It would be nice to see Charlotte find happiness with her Clarke family. I would suspect Victoria will do herself in somehow at the end. Daniel, too.

18. Ronnie says:

Victoria’s plan will fall through the cracks when David realized she knows Emily is Amanda. And if his path crosses Marguex, she will let it slip that Pascal was her one true love and he will go off the deep end.

19. Alex says:

“That guy needs a vacation (or just new friends).”

It’s perfect. And new tv-show.

20. L says:

Getting rather annoyed with this show… Having David turn out to be a complete psycho really invalidates all the stuff Emily did in his name the first several seasons… and Charlotte is now trying to murder her sister? The girl has issues certainly but I cant believe she would really go that low… Its getting to the point that these characters are all so irredeemably nasty that i cant see what the end game could possibly be.

21. Jenny says:

David definitely recognized Amanda. Yes yes yes how exciting. Previews for next week look awesome.

22. Jase says:

I disagree with this review in that I find Ben VERY desirable.

23. Television says:

I really like this show, but too soon for Emily to be so aloof.

24. Rachel says:

Revenge def keeps you on the edge of your seat. I wish Emily (Amanda) woke up to her father standing over her, they should have talked without Victoria knowing, and Emily could of used David to help talk some sense into Charlotte, Charlotte should forgive Emily, besides Emily would take care of her money problems. right

25. Rachel says:

Of course David knew who Emily really is, that’s the only thing that stopped him from stabbing her. he does seem crazy right now and the writers are keeping David’s story a secret right now, so there’s a lot more to come from that to keep the Revenge going I’m sure.

26. Liz says:

Nolan was awesome! You can tell how much he loves Emily. And I didn’t take David standing over Emily as creepy per-say, I got the impression he might have recognized her. Too bad her double infinity wrist wasn’t facing him.

• Melanie says:

Nolan’s the best. What I don’t get is why he is staying in the pool house. COME ON. Have you seen how big that “mansion” is. I mean, yes it did decide without her approval, but even without approving she would never notice he is staying 10 room down the hallway.

27. Blair says:

This Victoria making Charlotte the “hero” makes me sick. I’m not liking where this storyline is going just yet.

28. I’m so over Charlotte at this point, I keep thinking they will redeem her somehow, give her a backbone…and nope…she is again letting her mom tell lies, and not realizing how horrible her Grayson family half is….Also – come on David! You are getting played so well by Victoria…you would think he would be smarter and know who his daughter really is….and how horrible Victoria is….

29. David , as a father, who saw his child screaming as they were torn away….should have had his FIRST PRIORITY: where is my daughter?//// NOT “let’s get in on, Vick”!!!!

Will this idiot recognize his own daughter next week? If so, how will Miss Victoria react….if Davis is glad to see his own flesh and blood again?

• Letti says:

He knew that Amanda died in the boat accident. So he went to Victoria, so she could introduce him to Charlotte, his “remaining” daughter

30. Someone says:

I noticed an obvious plot hole last night – there’s no way the writers can let David get a straight look at Nolan because if he did, it would lead him to the conclusion that that blonde lady he’s watching over (like he asked Nolan to) is really his daughter and that Victoria is lying. Too easy. Too convenient that he ran out without getting a good look at who was shooting at him, or vice versa.

And the whole thing of Emily running in to find Charlotte without bothering to check up on who or what else was there was totally out of character.

31. Bob F. says:

I make a prediction that in some way, Nolan knew that David was alive Nolan was just too fast in wanting to protect Emily from Victoria that night. Granted, Nolan ,might have recognized him on the security video…but being the soap opera that this is… I predict that Nolan has some kind of early warning about David…

• Kay says:

I thought that too! Cause when Emily was suspicious about what Victoria said and told Nolan about it he had a guilty look on his face… I think he found out David was alive the day Conrad was murdered

32. Erin says:

Great review! I miss Aiden.

33. Carol C says:

L’s and G’s????

34. Meg says:

Anyone not upset that David is having this happy Family reunion with the woman responsible for turning Emily into the revenge monster?

35. tanya says:

So do you guys think that david recognized Amanda (aka Emily)

I HOPE SO

36. Kelly Deeny says:

First and foremost, I agree with most of the other commenters that David recognized Emily as Amanda. I wonder if he got enough of a look at Nolan when he burst through the door to make the connection. I’m anticipating next week’s episode – does Jack arrest David? Will Emily actually ID her father or say “none of them”.

Charlotte has been through quite an ordeal, so the fact that she would turn to her mother is understandable. Everyone else in her life has lied and betrayed her so she doesn’t trust anyone. But…I think it won’t be long before she sees the truth of how far her mother is willing to go.

Every time that Victoria claims that Emily destroyed her life, I keep thinking “you brought all of that on yourself” and want Emily to come out the victor in the end. I’m glad that Emily noted to Nolan that she suspected Victoria was up to something and that’s why she challenged her.

The Jack and Emily scenes melted my heart. The way he covered her during the fire and held her once outside…his feelings are evident. I love how their relationship is once again grounded in friendship but we know that at least one of them is ready for more. I suspect that once their relationship moves to the next level something drastic will separate them.

I can’t tell if Margeaux truly cares for Daniel or has another agenda, and I’m okay with seeing how this plays out. Louise is definitely seeking revenge herself, and I wonder whether she’s working with Emily or has her own plan.

I’m enjoying season 4 so far and looking forward to next week!

37. Fall says:

Margo can leave now, her purpose has been served.

38. Pati says:

I’m not loving the new season of revenge. These first episodes were very boring.The new cop is not intruguig, I feel like Emily does not have chimistry with anyone, any of the guys in the show she doesn’t have any chemistry, I liked Aidan, I think its the actress. Jack is still his old boring self. Daniel is an useless douche. When is Charlotte going to die, she is the worst actress. This whole David Clarke is alive so far is very boring and kinda of stupid, really he is still in love with Victoria, he wants to play happy family, that is pathetic. And the final straw was Victoria wearing a jean jacket my god I cannot believe Queen V outfit in this episode, horrible, things are really not good for her.