Parenthood Favorite Jason Ritter Returning in Season 6

Jason Ritter Parenthood

It’s official: Parenthood‘s farewell season will feature a visit from Mr. Mark Cyr.

RELATED Parenthood Recap: Life of the Party

Jason Ritter will reprise his character — a former lover of one Sarah Braverman — in Episode 9 of the sixth season, TVLine has confirmed.

But does that mean a Sarah-Mark reunion is in the cards? Mark did, after all, reveal that he’s engaged during his last visit to Berkeley in Season 5. (Not to mention, Sarah is currently with Ray Romano’s Hank.)

BuzzFeed originally reported Ritter’s return.

“I would certainly love to come back,” Ritter told TVLine in July. “I love that show and that family and Jason [Katims] and Lauren [Graham] so much. I would definitely be there if they asked me.”

(Ask and ye shall receive!)

Parenthood fans, what are you hoping to get out of Ritter’s final visit? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Please no. Why must they continually bring him back?

2. androme3 says:

Oh yes. I love Mark. Sarah should’ve went with him.

3. CJ says:

For a funeral, perhaps??

• bar says:

uhhhh, I doubt it. That would be pretty awkward.

• CJ says:

How so? If Zeek dies, he’s the kind of person who would come to his funeral to support the rest of family, which he was close to becoming a part of previously. I don’t think that’s awkward.

• c-mo says:

I totally agree with you unless Mark goes to visit Zeek in the hospital to say goodbye or something like that.Mark is a class act and really liked Zeek so he would want to be there for Zeek/the rest of the family.

• CJ says:

Exactly. He is so kind and caring, almost to a fault. It’s easy to imagine him dropping by in some way or another to support the Braverman’s because that’s just who he is.

4. Tran says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER.

5. Abby says:

I love Jason ritter but Mark’s story has been told and in my mind, its done. Another return feels gratuitous.He’s marrying a woman with whom he’ll have a family. The end…right?

6. heLL paso says:

They should have left it off where we left him. Mark was happy and that should have been the end to it. He was always too good for Sarah. She’s a total train wreck.

• Molly says:

This is the FINAL season! Why shouldn’t they bring him back? He’s an awesome character! And Sarah is NOT a train wreck.

7. rebecca says:

Love this news. I cannot stand Hank.

8. Miffy says:

I hope he doesn’t have the foolish-looking facial hair anymore. He looks like a 15 year old trying to grow something.

9. Winter says:

Truthfully I loved Mark but it’s time to let him go. Sarah should have picked him but she didn’t and I thought the last time he was on there was some nice closure. What purpose does bringing Mark back now serve?

10. Joey Padron says:

Great news! Happy Jason will back on the final season.

11. Delante says:

Makes no sense…they keep bringing him back but not to be with Sarah which is who he belongs with so why bother! His last appearance had nice closure…bring back Dr Carl instead

12. Deb says:

Seek isn’t gonna die! If so I’ll be so upset w writers that, we’ll it’ll be bad! It’s the only non reality show I watch, and I love these characters. They’re my pretend family.

• Deb says:

Zeek that is, auto correct.

• Mary says:

Unfortunately in life people do die and that is one think I always loved about the show the realistic approaches they have made. That being said, I have a terrible feeling in my bones that it won’t be him but someone else we never say coming like maybe his wife.

• luvtheheaven says:

You’re probably right. I actually really hope they do that. I really don’t want Zeek to die because then it’s gonna be the corny ending with Amber and Ryan both loving Zeek so much that they somehow name their baby after him or something and I just… I don’t want such a predictable and cliche ending to the show. But who knows. I do kind of hope they kill off someone and have a real funeral on the show before it’s over. So far the only characters who have died are Gwen and that guy Ryan knew who we never met.

13. Terrie Worley says:

Mark would definitely be the type to pay respects to the Braverman family…it will be because something happens to Crosby, not Zeek

14. Alex says:

The story concluded fine last season. LET IT GO!

15. luvtheheaven says:

I had been hoping for a Mark/Sarah endgame at the end of season 4, but since season 5 happened, yeah, Mark/Sarah is over. With just 1 episode, I wouldn’t want them to try to do something crazy that hurts the Hank/Sarah thing they’re trying to go endgame with.

I adore Jason Ritter and am happy that Mark is returning, though, because seeing him one last time sounds really nice. I sincerely hope, however, that it won’t be in a scene with Sarah. I think ideally, he’d be hired as a teacher at Kristina’s new school or run into an obviously pregnant Amber (obviously pregnant meaning she has a huge baby bump by then) in the grocery store who he could congratulate, or something like that. Maybe we see that he actually did get to have a baby, we see him in the world holding an infant, proof that he still really does have a happily ever after without Sarah. I think there are a lot of creative ways that would be relatively satisfying to have Mark come back briefly, and it’s a nice thing for all of us fans who are invested in the character of Mark and him getting a happy ending.

• Mary says:

I am in the minority but I hate the Hank/Sarah pairing. He is the most annoying character on that show. I wouldn’t mind if he came and Sarah ended up with him.

• luvtheheaven says:

I don’t ship Hank/Sarah, I never believed Sarah had feelings for Hank… still don’t… I feel like Lauren Graham doesn’t even like Ray Romano at all and it’s showing through in her acting or something… but from a storytelling perspective, I think Hank/Sarah have to have a happy ending. Otherwise it’d be more annoying couple drama and I don’t see myself respecting the show at all after everything they have put Hank/Sarah/Mark through already. :P

16. sarah j says:

I really liked Sarah and Mark but I do not see them getting together.

17. Joy says:

I hope Mark gets back w/Sarah – her new love, Ray Romano, is not a good fit !!

18. Maureen says:

Why does everyone think Zeek is going to die?

• luvtheheaven says:

A lame vague spoiler the show creator gave led people to jump to conclusions. I think what he’d been referring to already happened, probably, with Zeek’s surgery storyline which is now over. Who knows, though?

19. MeG says:

So unrealistic that someone like Sarah would end up with someone like Hank when she has someone like Mark. It’s just not believable! It makes her look like she has self esteem issues.