ABC's How to Get Away With Murder, black-ish Get Full-Season Orders

How to Get Away With Murder Full Season

ABC is the first network out of the gate to grant full-season orders to new fall series — starting off with How to Get Away With Murder and black-ish.

VIDEO How to Get Away With Murder Sneak Peek: Michaela’s Fiancé Knows [Spoiler]!

Murder‘s freshman run, as it always was envisioned/designed, will thus last 15 episodes, while black-ish will run for the typical 22.

The latest entry from Shondland, Murder debuted to 14.3 million total viewers and a 3.9 demo rating, making it the fall’s No. 1-rated new series. In Week 2, the drama dipped to 12.2 mil and a 3.3.

RELATED black-ish Casts Jenifer Lewis as Anthony Anderson’s Mother

ABC’s black-ish also bowed with big numbers — 11 mil/3.3, AKA the fall’s top new comedy — and then dipped in its second outing. This week, the comedy rebounded some (to 8.3 mil/2.9), and it still enjoys strong retention out of Modern Family.

Which new series do you think will be next to get a full-season pick-up?

1. StephonJS says:

Yes! 3 weeks in. YAY!

2. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Glad they stuck with the 15 planned for Murder. Hate when networks try to tinker with shows plans.

3. abz says:

YES! I’m already obsessed with HTGAWM!! 15 doesn’t even seem like enough, but I’ll take what I can get. :)

4. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

YAY! Love the show HTGAWM but how many episodes are they showing as of right now?

5. Lori W says:

yay for how to get away with murder awesome show

6. Tran says:

Can’t believe ABC is giving HTGAWM 15 episodes instead of 22. Perhaps Season Two is on the horizon for the Viola Davis led series. Wasn’t happy about black-ish getting a full season pick up despite mixed reactions about the sitcom starring Anthony Anderson and Laurence Fishburne.

• Zach says:

ABC would love to do 22. It’s Viola Davis requesting that they do a smaller amount so she can pursue other projects simultaneously.

• Esaul says:

15 episodes has always been the plan. This helps drive the plot. Imagine if we had those extra seven hours. It’d be used as repetitive fillers.

7. Jim J. says:

The Season 1 order of “How to Get Away With Murder” shouldn’t be recognized as a “full” season because it was initially envisioned to have just 15 to 16 episodes per season, because it features a top film star (Viola Davis) as the lead.

22 is considered the average for a full season, but I think the minimum of what constitutes as a “full” season is 20.

• bar says:

No, that’s not how it works. Normal for networks is 20-22, but if a season is envisioned for less and it gets an order to air all of these, then it’s full. The Office’s and Scandal’s six-episode first seasons? That was a full season order. It’s saying that ABC intends to produce and air all episodes planned.

• Antwon says:

Before the pilot even aired I read an article that said the creator’s vision was for 15-16 episodes per season. Not every show is designed to be 20-24 episodes. Sleepy Hollow and The Following are on Fox and neither show is more than 15 episodes. It can vary show to show.

• Jim J. says:

That’s because The Office and Scandal were midseason replacements. Any season less than 20 episodes is still considered “abbreviated”.

• Esaul says:

Full season is subjective and self contained. Cable networks give full season orders similarly but don’t follow the 20 episode format. This is also true in Canada and the UK.

• Jim J. says:

Esau – Right, except they (the cable show’s season orders) are almost never referred to as such.

ECM – I do not like people telling me I have no idea what I am talking about.

Regardless of what anyone here thinks, the new “limited series” on network TV are designed/supposed to have “abbreviated/limited” seasons, and they WILL be recognized as such.

8. Paul says:

NCIS NOLA
    Madame Secretary
    Scorpion
    Stalker
    All will get full season orders

9. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that ABC give both Blackish and How To Get Away With Murder the full season order and I hope that ABC will renewal for the second season order.

10. valeriel40 says:

I hope Forever gets picked up!

11. Laurie says:

I haven’t been watching HTGAWM, the previews didn’t appeal to me for some reason. I can’t believe that more people aren’t commenting on Black-ish! I love this show! I watch a lot of sitcoms and enjoy them immensely, but I believe Black-ish is the only one that actually makes me laugh out loud and rewind to watch it again. The child actors are amazing, they hit the jackpot casting every one of them. The pilot really wasn’t all that great, but I’m glad I stuck with it and have watched the other 2 episodes. I can’t wait for more. I’m thrilled this has been picked up for the season.

• Jakob says:

Black-ish is sooo bad.

• Coal says:

Sitcoms are dying a slow agonising death apart from a few long running favourites. However Blackish is the funniest one to debut in a while, I think its just the title or premise which is polarizing to a lot of people.

12. Dizzle says:

A welcome non-surprise! Nice to know that ABC is sticking to the plan with a 15 episode season for HTGAWM aswell. I reckon Gotham will get an extended order too (wasn’t that one also meant to only run for 15/16?).

13. Laura says:

“How to Get Away with Murder” is easily the best new show of the fall (this coming from someone who’s never watched a Shonda show before). Glad it’s been kept at 15 episodes as well!

14. GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

ABC IS OWNED BY DISNEY. DISNEY WANTS MORE PROFIT. IM CERTAIN VIOLA DAVIS IS COMMANDING A HUGE SALARY SO ABC SAVES BY HAVING LESS EPIDODES. NEYWORK TV IS FOLLOWING CABLE TV MODEL OF 15 EPISODES PER SEASON. CABLE IS HUGELY PROFITABLE AT 15 EPISODES. MEANWHILE THE PUBLIC IS ROBBED BLIND BY GREEDY CABLE CORPORATIONS WHO CUT SEASONS EPISODES.RAISE OUR CABLE RATES.AND BLACKOUT OR REMOVE MANY CABLE CHANNELS. TVS #1 SHOW CBS BIG BANG THEORY PAYS THREE LEAD ACTORS 1MILLION DOLLARS PER EPISODE YET RATINGS ARE DOWN. YET THE CABLE AND NETWORK CORPORATIONS SHIFT THOSE COSTS TO THE AVERAGE CABLE CLIENT. NETWORK TV WILL SOON BE AT 15 EPISODE SEASONS AND CABLE CORPORATIONS WILL GET RICHER!!!!!! WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!

15. Ginger says:

Excited that How to Get Away with Murder has a plan and 15 seems good. Revenge suffered from having to do 22 episodes which lead to a lot of wheel spinning and bad writing. I wonder what will replace How to Get Away with Murder in spring. Maybe American Crime?

16. TvPeong says:

Black-ish is hilarious! So glad it got picked up.

17. Amparo says:

One of thhe most important ones are the Sniper Games.
    Or try the multi-player option where you and your friends
    try to beat each other to cook-offs. Action-adventure are all about wining over the crime factor.

18. Ruth says:

Forever, Flash, Madam Secretary, Scorpion….let’s give them full seasons!

19. Jamie says:

Happy about the full season pickup of HTGAWM, not so happy about the black-ish full season pickup. It showed promise the first episode, but the second episode made me lose all interest. But it is good news for all those that the show employs so congrats!

20. Great news! I enjoy both shows, especially Murder.

21. Dee says:

It seems like this is the earliest that any show got picked up for the next year. A lot can happen between now and the end of their first season.

22. Joe R says:

Next to be picked up has to be “The Flash.”

23. Chloe says:

Next up should be Forever.

24. natalie says:

How can I watch season 1 of the show. I have watched episodes 1-4 then it jumps to 9.

25. o brown says:

Viola davis and kerry washington earncevery dollar. They are superb actresses. Pay them more. Pay what men make who are lead actors in roles.cthat would be the right thing to do. But when did some people ever cared about right thing to do?