Ratings: American Horror Story Hits Series High With Freak Show Premiere

FreakShow_Premiere_Ratings

American Horror Story‘s latest iteration scared up record ratings.

Wednesday’s Freak Show premiere attracted 6.1 million viewers and a 3.1 18-49 rating — both franchise highs.

Compared to AHS: Coven‘s opener last year, Freak Show was up 10 in viewers and 3 percent in the demo.

TVLine readers gave Freak Show‘s super-sized kickoff a B+.

1. Moment says:

That makes it what, the 3rd highest rated scripted series on Cable this year?. After TWD and Game of Thrones. Incredible achievement.

2. firstroyal says:

Watched it with my family (son 21, daughter 25) I am more accepting and patient than the rest but we all said the same thing…who did the sound editing? Really? the music was nearly constant and at times overwhelmed the actors voice. I hope the editor was not proud of his work, it just got silly.

If they tone it down a bit I think I might like this season a lot better than last season. If they don’t I doubt I will make it through episode 3.

3. Kevin says:

Well Done AHS, agreed that the sound was a bit loud in the first half, I needed captions, but the everything else was really great! can’t wait

4. DL says:

So far I’ve found this premiere to be incredibly divisive. I absolutely loved it, thought it was the best AHS opener ever, as did my brother. Meanwhile, my best friend and my mom thought it was slow, and weren’t quite sold. Such an interesting range of reactions to it.
    Sidenote: John Carroll Lynch, omfg. I was super excited when I found out he’d be in this season playing the evil clown, and I’ve been a fan of his ever since he played Drew’s transvestite bro on The Drew Carey Show. And yet he managed to blow all my high expectations out of the water. He was incredible, and whoever did his makeup should get an Emmy, because not only was it frightening as hell, but Mr. Lynch was able to emote so well in that facial appliance, and give a full performance. That scene in the bus, his facial expressions, genius. And of course his overall physicality, the weird bowing and clowning around, I couldn’t imagine anyone else pulling it off as well as him. Ahhhh I LOVE this season!

5. bar says:

I literally hate when Ausiello reports ratings. Stick to Matt’s formatting or let Matt write them. It’s distracting. Like if the Associated Press had random articles with completely different formatting people would notice because standards have been set. The same thing goes for TV Line, where I read the ratings reports every day.

6. Mary Burrell says:

I loved last nights AHS Freakshow. It was sad and naughty and scary, and just off the chain. Jessica Lange is awesome. Loved Kathy Bates as the beared lady. Ethan’s hands/flippers have a special purpose and he makes the housewives smile. Love Sarah Paulson as the two headed twins Bet and Dot. Francis Conroy was awesome. The musical number by Jessica Lange was sad. She was wearing this hideous blue eye shadow. But I love her character. The scene where it showed she was wearing prosthetics made me cry. She is a sad lonely woman and she needs her freak show to be a success. I love the storyline. This is so much better than Coven. Kudos to Ryan Murphy.

7. Kenny says:

My wife and I both watched the season opener last night. While I was “glued to the television” my wife thought it was a tad bit slow. She really enjoyed watching, but if there was ever a complaint to be had against the masterpiece that is “AHS” it would be that some episodes are a tiny bit slow at times, and according to the misses this was one of those times. A- from me, and a solid B from the wife.

8. Mary Burrell says:

Twisty the clown was scary good.

9. sarah says:

AHS really NEEDS to spotlight the clown more. Also the little Indian lady is perfection. It’s be in their best interest to keep them spotlighted immensely.

10. Dawn says:

I thought the premier AHS Freak Show was unpredictable, intriguing and disturbing. I loved it. One of my favorite scenes was when Jessica Lange sang ‘Life on Mars by David Bowie. That scene fit the scenario. Like I said, “Loved it”.

11. dee says:

I loved it. I’m sure each week will only get better. Jessica’s singing was awesome! Where else are you going to see a performance like that?

12. Nic says:

So far Freakshow seems promising. I absolutely hate Coven last year (not bc of the actors, the writing was horrid). I’m hoping Freakshow doesn’t do what Coven did last year, which started out pretty strong and then went down in flames around episode 6 or 7.

I will continue to watch in anticipation.

I also agree with some other comments that the music was loud and inappropriate at some times, but I can overlook that as long as they keep the plot strong.

13. John1207 says:

I thought season 1 and 3 were great! Other than some very slow episodes and the dumb alien aspect Season 2 was pretty good too. This season opening was dragged, confusing, music loud and corny and the Clown was silly and almost too much like Michael Myers. I am hoping it gets better.