Fall TV Preview

The Flash Brings Time Travel, Super Baddies and Big Arrow Crossover

The Flash Season 1 Spoilers

With time travel, “meta humans” and knowing nods galore, The CW’s Arrow spin-off The Flash “is the most comic book show, I think, that’s ever been made,” DC Comics’ Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns declares.

RELATED Arrow Season 3 Premiere: An ‘Emotional’ Kiss, Two Big Entrances, Amell vs. Amell and More

The new CW drama (premiering Tuesday at 8/7c) “embraces the superhero lore just fully on,” Johns continues. “There are references to Grodd, and that’s not just a reference. There’s plans for all sorts of crazy stuff.”

Even though The Flash stands proud of its rich source material, Barry Allen’s boyish exuberance welcomes all, and the show is designed to be accessible to non-Arrow viewers and non-comic book aficionados.

Read on as stars Grant Gustin and Tom Cavanagh and executive producers Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti reveal six more things to know about TV’s latest superhero.

BARRY ALLEN HAS THREE FATHERS | After his biological father (played by the original Flash, John Wesley Shipp) was arrested for the murder of his mother, Barry was raised by Detective Joe West (Law & Order‘s Jesse L. Martin). And now, another man, Dr. Harrison Wells, is mentoring Barry as he adjusts to the superpowered life. “One of the touchstones that we always talk about is Searching for Bobby Fischer, which is a movie we all love,” Kreisberg shares. “One father represents the heart, one represents the mind and one represents the soul. A lot of the early episodes and even the some of the ones we’re working on now are about Barry being faced with these choices [among his fathers] and having to help his fathers deal with each other.”

TIME TRAVEL WILL PLAY A ROLE | “It’s an important part of Flash mythology, so it has to be in there somewhere,” Johns reveals. Adds Berlanti: “It’s an active part of the first few episodes.”

RELATED The Flash Enlists Barry Allen’s Original Love Interest as STAR Labs Rival

NOT ALL META HUMANS ARE BAD | Just as the particle accelerator explosion transformed Barry into a hero, it will do the same with some of the others – AKA the meta humans – who were changed. “We’re really cognizant about not having too many people affected by the particle accelerator just being villains,” Berlanti says. “Sometimes, it’s that. Sometimes, it’s someone who’s good. In the case of [Captain] Cold [played by Prison Break‘s Wentworth Miller], it’s a someone who’s not affected at all.”

BARRY DOES NOT HAVE KILLER INSTINCTS | Taking a page from Arrow, who made a point not to take lives last season, “it’s important to Barry” to do the same when fighting baddie meta humans, Gustin says. “He doesn’t want to hurt anybody.” In dealing with that struggle, “what they’re going to end up doing with the meta humans becomes a very big part of Episode 3 and how they’re going to move forward. That becomes one of the biggest elements of the show,” Kreisberg previews, while star Tom Cavanagh describes the plot as “an incredible part of the show, a tremendous storyline and very cool-looking, too.”

RELATED Prison Break Reunion: Dominic Purcell Joins Wentworth Miller on The Flash

GUSTIN IS TURNING INTO BARRY ALLEN | “I feel like every day, it’s hard to tell a difference between me and Barry, because I’m Barry more often now than I’m Grant,” the actor says, earning a playful “Thank God!” from his co-star Cavanagh. “And I carry him with me a lot when I leave. I think about it all the time. I really do. I’m just thinking about the script and the character all the time now… I was talking to Andrew about it recently when he was in town, and just how I’m bummed out sometimes that it feels like everything feels heavy and [Barry’s] weighed down right now. I’m feeling that way now!”

IT’S FRIENDLY TO NEWBIES | “Although it is a spin-off, you don’t need to have watched a minute of Arrow to enjoy The Flash pilot,” Kreisberg promises. But if you do watch both CW series, you’re in for a treat when the two shows cross over later this season. “It’s not just the gimmick. It’s also advancing the storylines that we’ve been telling and [seeing] your characters really grow,” Kreisberg previews. “When you look at both of these crossovers, these aren’t just about the crossovers of the cast. They really are very important episodes for what Barry’s going through, for what Oliver’s growing through.”

1. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop about the show. So excited to watch the pilot episode tonight!

2. alistaircrane says:

I grew up with Wally West as MY Flash for over 20 years. I don’t like Barry in the comics and I can’t bring myself to watch a show about him, unfortunately. I also don’t watch Arrow because my Green Arrow is Connor Hawke, not Oliver.

• Moment says:

Seems like an odd reason to not watch Arrow. But each to their own I suppose.

• alistaircrane says:

How’s that an odd reason? I don’t like the main character (Oliver). I like Connor Hawke better.

• Moment says:

Zayne covered a few points, but I will just say that Oliver Queen is the franchise, everything revolves around him. If you asked pretty much anyone who they consider the Green Arrow to be, you would almost certainly hear the name Oliver Queen.

• alistaircrane says:

I don’t really care what other people think. I’ve never liked Oliver. I grew up with Connor. He’s a better, more interesting character, and that’s why he should be the star of Arrow. Ditto with Wally as Flash.

• Moment says:

Arrow without Oliver Queen simply wouldn’t be Arrow.

• alistaircrane says:

Yes it would. Connor is also Green Arrow and could drive his own series.

• JJ says:

you don’t care what other people think, but because YOU think Connor is a more interesting character, he should be the star of Arrow? What makes your opinion more valid? Why should decisions be made based on your opinion? The creators of a show get to choose their characters. Your opinion only decides whether you personally watch it or not.

• Jim says:

It’s a very odd reason. The TV shows don’t follow the comic book mythology to the letter, so to not watch a show based on the name of the lead character is IMO weird. Watch the first few episodes & if it doesn’t entertain you, fine. I love Arrow & I’ve seen the pilot of Flash & it’s pretty good. His loss, so whatever.

• alistaircrane says:

The “name” of the lead character? Connor is a completely different person than Oliver with vastly different personalities. I like Connor better. He’s not just an archer but also skilled at martial arts, plus he’s mixed race. Oliver is essentially a more violent, liberal version of Batman.

• Zayne says:

Yeah, you’re depriving yourself of excellent TV then. I didn’t realize Connor had a big enough following for someone to consider him “their” GA. Oliver is who I know from the Justice League cartoons so I didn’t have that problem. Wally is definitely my Flash and I will always like him more than Barry but this version of Barry has a decent amount of Wally characteristics to him.

I highly recommend you try and keep and open mind and watch these shows. You won’t regret it.

• alistaircrane says:

Connor was THE Green Arrow for most of the 90s. I read the actual comics and have never laid eyes on the Justice League cartoons.
        I gave Arrow a whirl but didn’t like it. In addition to preferring Connor, the Arrow series is very grimdark and Nolan-esque (not a good thing in my book). The only thing I liked about the show was the Felicity/Oliver relationship, but that was not enough to keep me watching.

• Jon says:

“Most of the 90’s”?. Connor was Green Arrow for about 2,5 years (36 issues between 1996 and 1998). Oliver died in Green Arrow #101 and the book was canceled at #137. Then Green Arrow was relaunced with Oliver’s resurrection a couple of years later.

• reboot2099 says:

I too like Wally West and despise Barry Allen. Wally has a great personality while Barry is immensely boring. So I was disappointed when I heard the show was focused on Barry.

That said, they won me over with the Arrow episodes Barry was in. Give the series a shot. This isn’t a bland Barry. He has fun, he’s youthful, he has energy. He might not be Wally, but he is closer, for me, to Wally than he is to Barry pre-crisis.

Be open minded. If you like any iterations of Flash, you owe it to yourself to watch at least the first episode. If not, you might miss something you like just because you THINK you won’t like it. Hate something you have watched, not something you think you won’t like. You can’t have an opinion on something you never watched.

If you don’t like it, fine. You lost one hour of your life but at least you know you’re not missing anything you would’ve liked. Open mindedness sometimes makes you discover your favorite things you never thought you’d like. Try things!

• alistaircrane says:

Ugh. Reboot2099, you fell for DC, hook, line and sinker. They want to replace Barry as the Flash in the hearts and minds of Wally fans, and it worked on you. Now that you have accepted Barry, that’s who they are going to continue to impose on us, both on tv, in films and in the comics.

• reboot2099 says:

Who cares what DC wants? If they make good stuff to hook me up, it’s a plus for me, not a minus! I want to enjoy stuff I watch and read. I am a Marvel guy and hate DC comics in general. But in TV so far, DC does better than Marvel. It’s all to my advantage.

What do I care what their goals are, as long as they achieve them by making things I like? It’s a win for them, but also for me.

I read all your replies and it’s obvious you’re not here to have nice conversations and be open minded. You will never even consider you might have to try watching shows before actually saying they suck.

If you want to say something is bad without ever trying it, you’re just a troll and it’s no use to argue with you.

• Ovaltine Jenkins says:

Finally done bothering people on that other entertainment site and decided to come over here and do the same? Way to branch out.

• alistaircrane says:

I don’t know who you are or why you’re stalking me, but I have been posting here since the site began. Many people post at multiple sites. Stop bashing me and get a life. Move on.

• Ovaltine Jenkins says:

Stalking? I don’t think so. But, when you post 57,000 contrarian comments on every article trying to get people to fight with you, and yes I understand the irony of me replying to you while talking about this, you stand out a lot. I’ve never noticed your comments on this site so you must try to stay lowkey for the most part here. But, on other sites you stick out like a sore thumb.

• cdhaskell says:

Barry Allen and Oliver McQueen are the silver age version. Wally West became the Flash when everyone thought Barry Allen was dead. Connor Hawke is McQueen’s son. DC Comics believe Barry Allen and Oliver McQueen would bring more fan to the screen and the rating department.

• Jason says:

I’m the same, Wally over Barry any day of the week. Though I’ve grown to enjoy the rest of the “Family” so I’m loving this show. Wonder if we’ll meet Wally this season?

3. Moment says:

I’m hoping tonight goes well for the show, it deserves to get a least a 1, and that back 9/10 order. Barry Allen is a great character with a lot of potential, I hope he gets that chance.

4. justtobesane says:

SO EXCITED!

5. Time Travel = Professor Zoom and, hopefully, Iris.

6. sarah j says:

I am very excited for this show!

7. Drew says:

Looking forward to this show. Wally West was always my favorite, but you can’t have Wally without telling Barry’s story first. Unlike Batman, The Flash hasn’t been done to the point where everyone knows the gist of the back story.
    As for not killing… I guess it makes sense for Barry, but it was a bit of silly decision for Oliver to make. He is fighting a war, and trying to play nice will just get people killed in a war.

• alistaircrane says:

You can easily tell Wally’s story first. Start with him beginning his career as the Flash in the wake of Barry’s death. Not everything needs to be an origin story.

• Jim says:

You do need an origin story, because not everyone is well versed in comic book mythology.

• Drew says:

That’s silly. Wally West’s Flash was the product of years of training under Barry. To start with Wally in the role of the Flash doesn’t just snub Barry, who is a major character in the comics, but it doesn’t respect the history of Wally West. At the very least, you’d have to tell Barry’s stories in flashbacks, and then you just have two Flashes at the same time.

I honestly believe that there is a way to tell a Nightwing story, because people know who Dick Grayson is and we’ve seen the Batman story a million times, in a million different ways. But to think that you could do the same for Wally West is absurd. You would be starting your story out as a sequel.

8. Brigid says:

I’m really excited about The Flash! Looking forward to another amazing super hero show.

9. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see what happened between the Flash/Arrow crossover tales. I can’t wait to see the debut of the Gorilla Grodd villain team-up against Flash/Arrow team-up.

10. kenny says:

Will this show also focus on flashpoint? man that was the best thing ever.

• cdhaskell says:

I love the first episode of the Flash. I love the way the writer tie up all the subplot together. I can’t wait to see when Gorilla Grodd finally debut. I wasn’t shock when Wells show that he was able to walk. I can’t wait to see if Barry Allen will disappear in a future crisis. It look like Iris discover another love in her life.

11. source says:

You also have the option of TV out as well as major bonuses when it comes to the
    connectivity of the ZN5. Buy it for any reason and use it
    in every season and occasion. Applications that allow augmented reality:
    Such apps allow direct or indirect view of the real-world environment.