Supernatural Season 10 Premiere Recap: Karaoke'd Away

Supernatural Season 10 Premiere Recap

Supernatural‘s Season 10 premiere on Tuesday night opened with Pat Benatar’s “Heartbreaker” (during the “Road So Far” montage), but perhaps it also should have been Dean’s karaoke tune (instead of “I’m Too Sexy”)? It’s not that the bravado and new hairstyle aren’t a little bit of a turn-on, but darned it if the elder Winchester didn’t break our hearts with some of his callous demon behavior.

RELATED Supernatural Boss on ‘More Personal’ Season 10, Sam & Cas’ Search for Dean

The episode starts with Sam torturing a demon to find out Crowley and Dean’s whereabouts, even going so far as to slice her throat to call someone who has answers. “Whatever soul you had, whatever Boy Scout code you cuddled up to at night, it’s all gone,” she replies. Four weeks later, he’s no closer to locating his brother, but he’s still searching despite Dean’s note, which reads: “Sammy let me go.” (Did anyone else find the fact that demon Dean still calls him “Sammy” comforting?) Sam reaches out to Cas when he stumbles upon a lead, but the angel’s fading grace has left him in no condition to help, and Sam has the hurt shoulder from their last trip to prove it.

“I miss him,” Cas declares. “Why would he just disappear?” Then he wonders if the Dean they knew is possibly still out there.

The answer: Sort of. There’s still a playfulness to Dean as he partakes in some karaoke, not caring that everyone’s booing him. And he’s still into the ladies, casually hooking up with a waitress. But the way he pretty much dismisses her afterwards is different. Not to mention, he goes to town on her abusive (ex-?)boyfriend, beating him to a pulp. He also kills several of Abaddon’s groupies with the First Blade, but as Sam discovers, they were actually sent by Crowley, who’s trying to keep Dean sharp for their professional future.

RELATED Supernatural Season 10: Who’s the Mystery Returning Guest Star?

When Sam finally calls, Crowley gets his digs in. “Your brother and I were starting to wonder if you hit another dog,” he says. Burn! Sam vows to save Dean or die trying, but Crowley counters that it’s not what Dean’s become that bothers him. “You can’t stand the fact that he’s mine,” he continues. “Dean Winchester completes me.” (Their earlier “Jerk”/”Bitch” exchange, a trademark of the brothers, rubs salt in the wound.)

He certainly completes Crowley’s plans. All the karaoke and drinking and sex is fun, but Crowley’s got a bigger picture in mind where the two of them “create the perfect Hell.”

“We’re not ending the party,” he tells Dean. “We’re just moving the party.” He leaves his new buddy to consider his proposal.

Supernatural Season 10 RecapMeanwhile, another hunter named Cole is after Dean, unaware of what’s happened to him, and kidnaps Sam in the process. Something went down between Cole and Dean a long time ago, and “now he’s prey, and I’m the monster,” Cole declares before calling up Dean to demand a trade. But he’s not about to come to Sam’s aid to save his life, instead vowing to find and kill Cole somewhere down the road.

RELATED Supernatural’s Jensen Ackles Previews Demon Dean’s Wild Ways

When the hunter threatens to slit Sam’s throat, Dean coldly replies, “I told him to let me go, so any jam he’s in now, that is his problem… He knows damn sure that if I am one thing, I am a man of my word.” Eek.

Now back to Cas for a second. Hannah visits him, seeking help with two rogue angels, Daniel and Adina, who killed one of their own for attempting to bring them home. They track down Daniel, who’s enjoying his freedom and having choices and doesn’t want to return to Heaven. Hannah threatens to get physical, but Cas calms her down. As the trio talk, Adina shows up and a fight breaks out, during which Cas kills Daniel to save Hannah as Adina escapes. While Hannah is all about rules to keep chaos from breaking out, Cas wonders if he’s been on Earth too long. “There’s seemingly nothing but chaos,” he says. “Not all bad comes from it – art, hope, love, dreams.” Hannah’s befuddled response: “But those are human things.”

Supernatural fans, what did you think of Dean’s new attitude? How concerned are you about Cas’ nasty cough? (He’s totally going to become human, right?) Hit the comments with your thoughts and grade the episode via the poll below!

1. Mare says:

I give it an A even though Hannah is horrible and Castiel is stuck in boring angel storyline heck again! But Deanmon deserves an A+, as does Dean/Crowley, and that last scene where Deanmon is giving Sam what he has been claiming to want for so long: to die. Karma is a bitter pill, isn’t it, Sam?

• alistaircrane says:

Hannah is the first angel I’ve liked in ages, and I hate all the angels! Pleasantly surprised she is back.

• ManySkills says:

Total agreement with you there – like her, surprised that she is back.
        She is a great foil for Cas – by contrast we see how far Cas has come and what he has learned.
        I find the whole ‘will some angels change’ a really compelling storyline, actually.

• Louise says:

I just want Cas to get away from the angels and back where he belongs, with Sam and Dean. Dean’s karaoke was to-die-for, though.

• rowan77 says:

Yes, Cas (an angel) should not be with other angels because he doesn’t belong there…?

• justsomeguy says:

Castiel is an angel. He will have his own stories with other angels and heaven because well.. he is an angel. Plus, that’d be crazy to drop one of the biggest stories just out of the blue.

2. Tran says:

It give it a B. Should Supernatural go beyond a Season 11 and what are the chances?

• alistaircrane says:

Yes it should and the chances are great. The ratings are very good and the CW’s president loves the show.

• mark says:

no it shouldnt go beyond 11. if this is the best they got then it shouldn’t even go past 10. all the storylines are basically just reruns. theres nothing new and exciting anymore. demon dean was supposed to be some new flavor but its bland.

3. ninamags says:

Eh, it was a’right.

The angels continue to bore. I thought Dean would be more of a bad-ass instead of a douche.

I have to wait for episode 3 to get the brothers back together??

• alistaircrane says:

Luckily the angel domination appears to be fading into the background. I can handle the angels if it’s just Cas and Hannah in the C story with maybe one or two other angels.

• Rick says:

I actually loved the stuff with Cas and Hannah tonight – very good parallel to the other plotlines, and a good balance between all characters. I find the angels fascinating. I do wish demon!Dean was darker, but I think that’s coming next episode when he runs into Sam.

• You have my sword, I loved the interaction between Hannah and Cas. She is a typical good angel and it would be interesting to see how Castiel is going to corrupt her ;) But… she is a woman, she is going to die, there is no hope for her in this show ;/

4. tyranthraxus says:

You can tell that Jensen Ackles is loving playing the Dean Demon. I guess when you have been playing a character for so long its easy to just sit back and phone it in. THis has really shaken that up. Heres hoping it takes the whole season to ‘cure’ him or hell.. make it impossible TO be cured. In a weird twisted way, I was hoping they would give him Yellow Eyes.

• cassie says:

afraid you gonna be dissapointed on the demon dean front. it has the same longtitude as any other dean story arc(= none) & this is just like purgatory. that makes it 10 season’s of dean dropped arcs when jensen is supposed to be a lead.

• tyranthraxus says:

One can hope Cassie. Has Ackles said either way? I know a lot of people watch for the brothers together but this time the separation feels more organic.. more possible. I just like where it might go.

Surely 10 seasons is enough for this show.

5. I thought it was a great episode. The angel storyline could use some twists but who knows what might happen? Cas is not doing very well and I’m more interested in what happens to him then Hannah- she is a typical angel. Follow the rules and make everyone fall in line. Deanmon is a dick but definitely an interesting one. He doesn’t care about anyone or anything which is a change as Dean has always felt guilty for everything but he is certainly enjoying not feeling guilty now. Sam is very driven to find his brother (maybe to make up for not looking for him in purgatory?) and I find that very interesting, he has that dark part in him. I’m looking forward to next week.

6. alistaircrane says:

I actually like Hannah and was pleasantly surprised to see her back. I like her chemistry with Castiel. Although the angel story is still around, it has definitely moved to the backburner, which makes me very happy. I can tolerate it a lot more and even like it a little when it is the C story like in this episode.

• alistaircrane says:

But yeah, seeing such a heavy focus on the Winchesters and other human (or humanesque) characters rather than the angels was a nice shift. This is the freshest the show has felt in years, a nice mini-revamp to charge our batteries for Season 10. Supernatural 2.0, anyone?
      BTW, did anyone notice the show looks a lot darker, like it did in Season 1? I know the CW made them go brighter, but someone else was in charge back then. I hope Supernatural keeps the dark look!

7. Tracy says:

Demon Dean is great…callous as you’d expect but with flashes of the old Dean! Feel sorry for Cas…he seems really sick – I hope they don’t kill him off! I love Cas and I always enjoy seeing he and Dean interact! Feel sorry for Sam…this is the first jam he’s gotten into where Big Brother isn’t racing to rescue him! One thing that annoyed me…the CW said to hold for a look at next week’s Supernatural but it never came and I wanted to see that more than commercials or a promo for that stupid Steve Harvey show!

• Mo says:

My local CW apparently didn’t know the show was supposed to run until 10:02, because they cut in with the news as the closing credits rolled. I had to find the promo for next week’s episode online.

8. HGB says:

I just hope the show survives this arc. Cas should get healed hopefully in a safe way and Metatron should stay locked up. Two more thoughts: since the guys are young and can still do stunts can we hope for many more years of the show? Last with Dean being so much like Peck’s perennial ‘Bad Boy,’ is Lucifer well can he not too far behind? Mark Pelligrino would sure like to contest Crowley for an absentee throne right?

• Tom says:

That would be great if Mark Pellegrino was brought back… The show runners will probably never bring lucifer back though.

• CountryQueen says:

Doubtful Lucifer would appear as he is trapped in the cage in Hell with Adam. The showrunners have said they have no plans to take him out.

9. D says:

I’m still going to give the show a chance, even though it obviously hasn’t been the same since season 5. I think comparing it to when Kripke was the show runner is keeping me from really enjoying the new seasons…

• Christine says:

If you haven’t liked the show in FOUR years, why are you still watching? Bones got so hokey I checked out two or three years ago. It’s okay to let a show go if you aren’t happy with it.

• RReg says:

I suppose it depends on how much of the show you can stand or can’t stand; what aspects of it you find bearable or unbearable. I checked out of Castle once he and Beckett became a couple. But I still watch one or two shows on and off – that while I may not like certain things in them, the overall shows are still bearable. I DVR them and use the fast forward button.

• melizmatic says:

Easy answer; habit.

Second easy answer:

Because he or she can.

10. Chris says:

I kind of want demon!Dean to go darker before they fix him. He was milder than I expected, though his treatment of the waitress was more in line with what I expect from this version of Dean. I’m looking forward to seeing how Sam will evade Cole, and I really want to know how they are going to solve Cas’s fading grace. Obviously they will, and I’ve felt for a while that they’re moving towards making him human permanently. That would be wonderful.

Oh well, as long as Jensen, Jared, and Misha are still involved until the bitter end, I’ll watch the show as long as it runs. Those three make it for me.

• Symphany says:

Demon Dean will definetly get darker in episode 2 because Crowley tells Dean that “the Mark Of Cain Needs To Be Fed.” Hence, Dean will be more aggresssive Or Darker, Before His cure. I love Dean being Carefree, letting lose of all the guilt , having fun, at partys, and not having to worry of Sammy. But what sucks is when Dean has been cured and then Dean will start once again to feel guilty of being a party animal, and killing people demons, and wrecking whatever cames his way. So hope Dean has LOTS of Fun, before feeling sorrow and guilty of what he did as a Demon.

11. Adina says:

I was SO awed that there is an angel with my name in the show!!! How COOL! My name is rare enough as it is! (Only have met 2 others) but to then not DIE on top of it, well, that’s downright peachy!!!! Soooo looking forward to seeing Adina (myself, heh heh) in future episodes! And I HOPE she lives!!!

12. Tamm says:

I give it an A just because Dean is awesome! Demon Dean was great , not as dark as i was hoping for but this was only episode 1. I didn’t like the waitress lady. Glad Dean kicked her the the curb. I’m hoping for Demon Dean to get a really hot, bad girl. Castiel side was a little boring but his cough got me interested. He doesn’t want to kill another angel to save himself. While that’s nobel, i wonder if Demon Dean would do it for him. Crowley was cool. I’m glad “Dean Winchester completes him”. I’m glad to see Sam looking for Dean. Hopefully he doesn’t get distracted by another chick. Can’t wait for the next episode. I hope to see some sick angel Castiel and Demon Dean interaction but it’s probably not going to happen. But that would be a cool fight. Would Demon Dean kill him? Would castiel be able to kill Dean? I know Sam couldn’t do it. So Sam could take on Crowley. God, i hope they let Dean stay a Demon for at least half the season.

13. Katie says:

Best season premier in so LONG! It was literally practically everything I could have hoped for. Demon!Dean was kind of mellow for how dark everyone was expecting, but I kind of thought what he said at the end to Anne Marie and not going after Sam were pretty damn dark! His cold delivery just slayed me. Cas is separated from the Winchesters, but, unfortunately, until he is human, that’s going to happen. But at least the separation didn’t FEEL as tough as some of them because at least we got to see him speak to Sam and indicate that Cas and Sam HAD been working together. And hearing Cas vocalize missing Dean was freaking amazing. More than enough to tide me over. And, plus, I think it’s pretty clear that Cas is destined for humanity (I’m guessing that’s the way the season will end for Cas, going human), just based on tonight’s episode. I was worried that I would hate the interactions with Hannah, worried they were going to try to pair the two of them together, but was so PLEASED when they went the disagreeing-sibling route. I’d love Cas to teach her the positives about humanity, and then her to go Heaven to lead the angels with what Cas taught her. Sam this episode was absolutely, flat-out amazing. Jared’s acting was on point, and you could really see the moment that it clicked in Sam’s head what’s going on with Dean. And the writing, the whole, “Did you run over a dog” thing was brilliant, just beautiful. Anyone that didn’t like it, I’d be curious to hear what they had been hoping for because that episode was just fantastic! If the entirety of season 10 could be filled with episodes like the premier, I wouldn’t be complaining (well, if TFW didn’t reconcile as a unit, I’d be pissed, but the odds of that happening are just stupidly low, I think)

14. Jessie says:

LOved this episode and DemonDean! Jensen Ackles, thank you, that was fun and exciting!

15. Jane says:

My only complaint was the opening song. It didn’t seem to fit. Liked Dean and Sam being darker but still glimpses of their old selves. Yes the “Sammy” in the note did give me hope. I liked the Dog crack because that maybe exactly why Sam is trying harder this time to make up for not looking last time. Wonder if they are going to let Cas become totally human. Overall I really have hope for this season being a good one.

16. Is it bad that I find Mark A. Sheppard so hot? Why do I always fall for the bad guys?

17. Veronica says:

That retrospective special from the other night REALLY made me miss the “Monster of the Week” format. I am so over the angels, and even most of the demons at this point. But loyalty to the show is going to keep me tuning in for as long as it continues.

• melizmatic says:

I’m right there with you; whatever happened to the family business – “Saving people, hunting things”?

I’ll watch to the end, but if they go the Dexter-route, I’m google-earthing some writers’ homes and going on an egg-bombing mission.

18. Yeni says:

LOVE IT!! can wait for next week..

19. Lynn says:

can someone please tell me where to find it (what time and channel) in Canada because I couldn’t find it at all last night and I’m really upset about that!!! The channels here that used to carry don’t for some reason this year..we used to get it one day ahead of the US but now it’s disappeared (for cripes sake it’s filmed in Vancouver!!)

20. Raz says:

Had a great time with the episode. Love Cas and his blue bathrobe. Now if we can only get Gabe back.

21. paul says:

its so cool and creepy cause dean never acted this way to sam,,,good twist after 10 seasons to keep us watching

22. Donna MaMa says:

WHERE is the agents of Shield recap for this week?

23. Taylor says:

Dean was channeling his inner Ledger/Joker with his speech to Cole. His drawn out enunciation was so Jokeresque…right down to “I am a man of my wordddd”

24. Melizmatic says:

This may have been the most boring premiere ever.

25. melizmatic says:

Oh, one other thing;

I still miss Bobby.

26. mark says:

I thought Dean was gonna full on demon but his demon side is horrible. He comes off too human and that says Supernatural is too soft. If this is what we can expect for the whole year then it’s gonna be one boring year. Either the writers have nothing left in their think tanks or they’re just lazy. Either way I expected better

27. chris says:

I just finished season 9 on Netflix, and dang they sure know hown to end a season haha. I voted A for season 9, have yet to see any of season 10. I’m pretty positive that it will be just as intriguing though.