Ratings: Homeland Returns Down, Strain and Witches Finales Tick Up

Homeland Season 4 Premiere Ratings

Homeland‘s double-episode Season 4 premiere on Sunday night averaged 1.6 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating, per TVByTheNumbers, down from both Season 3’s premiere (1.9 mil/0.8) and finale (2.4 mil/0.9), and marking the Showtime drama’s least-watched opener since Season 1.

Elsewhere on Sunday night, FX’s already-renewed The Strain wrapped its freshman run with 2.1 mil and a 1.0, ticking up week-to-week yet down 30 and 17 percent from its premiere.

Lifetime’s not-yet-renewed Witches of East End closed Season 2 with 1.1 mil/0.5, up 25 percent week-to-week and matching its season opener, yet down from its Season 1 finale (1.7 mil/0.6).

1. David4 says:

Homeland season 3 was so bad I’m shocked that many people tuned in.

2. Coal says:

Homeland kept Brody a season to long maybe ?

• johnhelvete says:

Season 2 gets unfairly lumped in with season 3 as both being “terrible” and people forget how great the first 5 episodes of season 2 were. So you might be correct and if the first two episodes of season 4 were really the first two episodes of season 3, the perception of Homeland might be more favorable. Personally I dont share the view that even season 3 was “terrible” but the first three episodes of season 3 are pretty boring .

• Coal says:

I binged watched Season 1 and 2 back to back so in memory its one back thing. To me Homeland was brilliant when it was about a C.I.A. officer dealing with a bipolar disorder while being in a high pressure job. However some where around season two it turned to a clichéd plot of a woman risking it all for a love interest. I’ve yet to watch season 4, but I’m excited about it.

• D says:

Brody was the main reason I watched it

3. Jay Allen says:

The series was over once Brody was no longer in the series.

• dman6015 says:

The series was never meant to be about Brody. He was originally supposed to die at the end of Season 1. The producers foolishly kept the storyline going for ratings. Now they’re paying the price, as the die-hard Brody fans seem to have stopped watching (and they’re fools, too).

4. TVSERIESADDICT says:

I’m 99.999999999999% sure Witches of East End is going to be renewed for a 3rd and final season.
    Come back and reply to this comment when it’s official.
    Matt Webb Mitovich

5. Sparky says:

I loved s1 and 2 of Homeland. By the time 3 came around I found myself wondering with each one of the first few episodes when would Brody come back. He should have been killed off at the end of S2 and rebooted the show in 3. Both of Sunday’s episodes are still on my DVR. I was more interested in the finale of Witches than the premiere of Homelands which is saying a lot. Hope that it makes a return for S3.

6. Alienate says:

I believe that the rating will go up from here. This season shows great promise.

7. Jena says:

I ceased being interested in the show, which I watched religiously before, after Brody was killed off. Just another CIA show now.

8. I am done with homeland. The killing of Brody and changing of power at the head of the CIA wiped the story line clean… I cannot get into a show that is now terrible after being a must see event… Homeland has jumped the shark