Post Mortems

The Originals Post Mortem: EP Talks New Romance, Esther's Revenge Plan and More Rebekah in Season 2

The Originals Season 2

Monday’s season premiere of The Originals witnessed a major power shift in New Orleans, as old enemies were pushed aside and even older enemies returned to settle their scores.

RELATED The Originals Season 2: Phoebe Tonkin on Hope’s Return, Hayley’s New Ally

First, a quick recap of the premiere’s biggest twists: Hayley took care of Francesca once and for all; Klaus was restored to full strength, following the destruction of the moonlight rings; new witch “Kaleb” was revealed to actually be Kol; and Finn maneuvered into a new position as Cami’s college advisor “Vincent.”

Below, executive producer Michael Narducci reveals what else the Mikaelsons have in store for us this season, including Hayley’s evolving relationship with Elijah and Esther’s plans for baby Hope and Rebekah.

rebekah-babyAUNTIE BEX | If you found yourself chanting “More Rebekah, please!” after Monday’s premiere, we’ve got some good news: “We’re going to see Rebekah and we’re going to see baby Hope, and that’s going to be an important part [of the season],” Narducci teases. “As to what Esther’s plan for that baby is … Esther thinks the baby died. Esther doesn’t know where Rebekah is. She’s coming back with a definite agenda that we’ll start to see unpacked in Episodes 2 and 3.”

HAYLIJAH | If at all possible, Hayley and Elijah’s relationship is going to become even more complicated in Season 2. “She’s a mess and Elijah sees that,” Narducci notes. “But at the same time, he recognizes, ‘I can only help her so much because I’m not what she is. The person who is what she is … is my brother.’ You’ll get to see how that plays out, and I’d caution against anyone using the idea that this is going to be some kind of love triangle.” (Phew!)

JOSH’S BIG BREAK | After everything that happened in Season 1, you might wonder why Josh would stick around in New Orleans. Turns out, Josh is wondering the exact same thing. “He’s kind of Marcel’s last guy from that old regime, and he’s trying to figure out, ‘What am I fighting for?'” Narducci notes. “Coming down the line, we’re going to tell some really great romantic stories, and Josh has a really great story coming up.”

SIRE STRUGGLES | Narducci says Davina “absolutely” wants to break the sire bond — and she’d better do it quickly: “That’s going to be an obstacle keeping Davina from just unleashing Mikael. There is a world where she says, ‘To hell with [Klaus]. I hate him. He killed the love of my life, Tim.’ But if she does that, she knows she’s going to be even worse than Klaus … because, ultimately, that would lead to the deaths of [Marcel and Josh.]”

davinaTHE GREAT ESCAPE | That said, Narducci admits his team would be “doing ourselves a disservice as storytellers if we brought Mikael back and just kept him on a leash the entire season. … There’s a lot to come with him, and Sebastian Roché is an incredible presence.”

MORE TASTY TEASERS:

* “There are going to be even more flashbacks this season,” Narducci says, hinting that we’ll see more of Finn and Kol’s original portrayers, as well as younger actors playing them in even further flashbacks.

* Mikael and Esther’s history will be explored: “In Episode 16 last year, Klaus said, ‘Something made my father the way he was.'” Narducci recalls. “We want to tell that story. It’s an interesting part of why [Mikael] goes around hunting his children and calling himself ‘the Destroyer.'”

* Finn and Esther’s true interest in Cami will soon be revealed. “They have one of the coolest reasons possible for wanting to get to know [her],” Narducci says, calling the twist “freaky.”

* Speaking of that duo, we’ll also find out why Finn is such a damn mama’s boy.

* Lastly, how long can we expect Hope’s secret to hold out? “I think that would be awful,” Narducci says of the wrong people finding out Klaus’ baby is still alive. “And it would lead to great dramatic conflict.” (Wink.)

OK, your turn to talk: What did you think of the premiere’s big twists, and what are you hoping from the rest of Season 2? Browse new photos below, grade the episode, then drop a comment with your full review.

With reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. Erin says:

This premiere was pretty freaking awesome!!!

2. mariangela says:

Okay I love Daniel but Nate will always be Kol! And I think they make a mistake change him!

• Will_slade says:

My thoughts exactly!! Besides, He wasn’t even buried in NOLA so he can’t not be resurrected like the harvest girls. That was a huge mistake.

3. Tran says:

It’s going to be tough for The Originals going up against The Voice, DWTS, Gotham and CBS’ hour long comedy block in the 8 p.m. Monday night time slot. Good start for the Season Two premiere but overall I give it a B.

4. Sharon says:

Hoping to still see Nate back as the real Kol.

Cami…eh still not a fan…seems like she’s messing around with Marcel while mooning over Klaus.

Love Elijah…Love Love Davina!

5. Para says:

A quick question: Does Elijah never have sex with anyone?

• Katie says:

I think Elijah needs to have an emotional attachment with someone before he sleeps with them. His last romantic interest would have been Katherine on the Vampire Diaries.

6. Jess says:

Loving this new season. I’m not such a big fan of Klaus’ parents though. Love Sebastian LeRoche ever since General Hospital. He knows how to play the bad guy that you love to hate lol
    Can’t wait to see their plans for their kids. I just hope they don’t drag the baby into it or kill it for that matter.

7. Teyla says:

This was an AWESOME premiere episode! Loved it from start to finish!

8. “Coming down the line, we’re going to tell some really great romantic stories, and Josh has a really great story coming up.”

Is it ‘new’ Kol?

9. LaPiquante says:

Wait, so how is Kol in Kaleb’s body if Kol got sucked away into the Nothing or whatever when “the other side” was destroyed on TVD? What was that about, and how is this possible, and how ever will they explain it??? I can’t wait to see. Also yay Daniel Sharman gets to be British!!

• Lyndsey says:

We never saw Kol sucked away on the Other Side. Perhaps you’re thinking of Silas or the Traveller who was going to help them….or the leader who wanted to kill them all?

10. Fabe says:

Well if Kolb can come back in a new body, that means that Katherine can too on The Vampire Diaries!

• onelastemperor says:

No, she was sucked into darkness, and Esther probably ressurected Kol before Other Side collapsed, shortly after herself and Finn, or maybe it the same time)

11. pebbles51 says:

So glad the boys are back! Great episode as alwsys! Hopefully Kol will get his old body back, and Daniel Sharman will remain a witch.

12. Ashley says:

I gave it a B when I should’ve given it an A. It had a mid-season to late-season feel to it. Awesome story in the premiere. As much as I like Daniel Sharman, and I’m stoked to hear him in a role with his natural accent, I wish that it was Nate playing Kol. Surely there’s a spell his mother could do to undo ash? Eh. Still, great premiere. I even liked Klaus in it.

13. Andie says:

This episode was good, but unfortunately, my main reaction was ‘I miss Issac Lahey.”

14. Nicole says:

I feel like it was obvious Daniel Sharman was playing Kol. I called that way back when it was first announced. I still Nate though.

15. Lies says:

I loved Daniel Sharman on teen wolf and i think he would fit in with the originals too, but not as kol! But we did saw kol (as nate) coming back soon in his own body in the promo, so i guess daniel will have his own character soon and be davina’s love intrest. We haven’t seen kol dissapear on tvd right? So i guess esther put him back while the other side was falling apart. As for katherine i know that julie plec sees her as an permanent death, but they could always bring her back because they have a loophole for katherine, she never got to the other side, so maybe there is a little bit of hope for her! But great episode, the originals truly is what tvd once was in the first 3 seasons, brilliant.

16. selfie says:

I should have watched BBT. I love Klaus & Elijah, but the rest of the cast just get on my nerves.

17. Yvonne says:

I love this show. Without a doubt it is one of my favorite shows. Not sure why ratings were down. Probably because of Gotham being on at the same time, but that will change in just a couple of episodes.

18. tayslick09 says:

great start

19. tayslick09 says:

Kol and Finn I think will get their bodies back once they some how get inside their family home were the coffins are at so then Esther will do her magic to revive them just like Bonnie did Klaus before Alaric staked him on TVD.

20. pebbles51 says:

The premiere was awesome! Loved them all working as a team!
    Esther isn’t going to put her sons back in their old bodies. The old bodies are vampires, Esther wants to destroy vampires. Esther has her sons back as witches, that makes her happy.