Is a Twin Peaks Revival In the Works?

Twin Peaks Revival

Diane, something big is brewing… and I’m not referring to the coffee at the Double R.”

Twin Peaks aficionados, brace yourselves: A revival may be in the works! Or… not.

Identical tweets published simultaneously by series cocreators David Lynch and Mark Frost on Friday have Peaks devotees buzzing about a possible reboot.

The seminal ABC series recently celebrated its 25th anniversary with a special Blu-ray release Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery, featuring more than 90 minutes of deleted scenes.

Thoughts? Do you think Lynch-Frost are just pulling our collective chains? If a new Twin Peaks project is on the horizon, what form would you prefer it take — a wholesale reboot or a Dallas-esque continuation? Hit the comments!

1. MattArmando says:

THIS is what ABC needs.

2. Joe says:

Forget ABC. Needs to be on HBO.

• alistaircrane says:

Most likely would be on Showtime because CBS owns both Twin Peaks and Showtime.

• Stanton Heck says:

TWIN PEAKS is not owned by CBS they have distributions rights.Lynch/Frost owns the name and title for any and all future installments. If CBS wants to produce a new season then they have fo through David Lynch and Mark Frost. Now CBS has the right to distribute “Television” Seasons. Feature length films is owned by the company that has the rights to to CIGBY 2000

3. ANYTHING to give us a better ending that Cooper smashing the mirror and being possessed. This show deserved better than that!

4. As much as I love the original series, I would not mind a reboot as long as Lynch/Frost can stick with their original vision without network interference.

5. Moment says:

I must confess, I haven’t seen this series before, but I’m quite excited by all the random talk of stuff getting revived and movies getting TV adaptions. I’ll at least check the pilot out if it happens.

6. Adrienne says:

Amazing series, even after 25 years. The Blu-ray box set is incredibly packed with goodies. And to finally have FWWM on Blu-ray, is simply a dream come true. I would love a continuation to catch up with the characters, and I agree the series deserves a better ending.

7. Chad Smith says:

Without Kyle McLachlan it would just be a colossal waste of time. But…if he’s in, I’m in.

8. April 2015 is the 25th anniversary of Twin Peak’s premiere. A special or mini-series may be in order. But, I don’t see it happening.

9. Shannon Nutt says:

When David was directly involved with the show, TWIN PEAKS was fantastic. When he wasn’t, it wasn’t as good. Normally, I wouldn’t have paid this post much mind except the fact that Frost also posted the same thing at the same time…so something is up. I don’t think these guys would be teasing a new brand of coffee – or they certainly should know that fans would revolt if they did such a thing. But does that mean TWIN PEAKS is coming back to TV? I’m not so sure…

• alistaircrane says:

Could always return as a movie. FWWM was meant to kick off a series of TP movies, but the sequels never materialized because it did so poorly at the box office.

• Moment says:

It’s hard to judge because of the lack of information but to me it sounds more like they’ve heard something positive, it could be anything. But I doubt it could be nothing.

10. This! And a damn good cup of coffee!

11. Drew says:

Weird timing. I had never seen the show before, but recently started watching it on Netflix. It’s a cool show, so I’d watch a revival. I wonder if this would be with original cast members, or if it would be a reboot.
    Now we just need Northern Exposure to come back…

• alistaircrane says:

I don’t think the timing is weird at all. The entire series and movie, along with the long lost deleted scenes from the film, were finally released on Blu-Ray, and the show’s 25th anniversary is about six months away.

• Drew says:

I just meant on a personal level. I had never seen the series before, and now that I started watching it, it’s becoming a headline once again.

12. Et al says:

I haven’t been this excited since I punctured Caroline’s aorta!

13. Ky Johnson says:

How’s Annie? I need this reboot in my life.

14. JeffDJ says:

It would have to be a continuation (with original cast) rather than a reboot, otherwise why bother? I haven’t seen TP since it went off the air, but I’d be up for this if it happens.

• alistaircrane says:

I think they would have to blend in new characters with the old. The teen characters are now well into their 40s.

15. ChicagoDan says:

It needs a complete reboot from the start so they can avoid several of the mistakes that were made particularly in S2.

16. ggny000 says:

Only way this works is on Cable. AMC or FX

17. DanielleZ says:

That would be awesome!

18. Brock says:

One of the best series ever. I’d love a continuation, minus the Red Room style elements.

19. alistaircrane says:

I don’t know if this is a clue or not, but a couple of months ago, David Lynch asked for help on Twitter about getting into contact with Everett McGill, aka Big Ed. Could he have been trying to get the gang back together???

20. Geo says:

So much of what’s on today owes a debt to Twin Peaks in one way or another. You see it particularly on shows like American Horror Story, Bates Motel, and Fargo, but it’s all over the place (Lyle Lovett’s character on The Bridge might as well live in Twin Peaks). It’s one show that truly shifted the landscape. It’d be great if the original came back as a movie or “True Detective” style mini-series. Part of the problem with Twin Peaks much maligned second season was that, back then, network shows expected 22 episodes per season, something that’s not always the case now. There were great parts of Twin peaks season 2, and you have to wonder if they’d only had to fill say, 12 episodes for that season, if we would have gotten a lot of the good with many of the needless and bad detours weeded out.

• alistaircrane says:

The show went down hill after Laura’s murder was solved. Suddenly, there was no purpose driving the show, and it didn’t recover until the excellent series finale.

21. Marissa Waltz says:

Twin Peaks was an excellent series, I would love it if the show was brought back!

22. Joey says:

*looks outside* The owls are not what they seem!

23. David always said that the place is still there… and recently in Italy he said that he loves a continuing story.. to love a world and going deeper and deeper into it. I really don’t think about a reboot, but a “continuing story” digging in the same world. Same town. 25 years later. New story linked to the town, characters, owls, logs, and the black lodge with some familiar faces still there waiting to tell their stories after all this time. Lynch/Frost uncut & ready to blow my mind once again. (After Kate Bush concert in London after 36 years… next one what will be? An Alien invasion? Strange things are happening.. and I love it.)

24. lo' says:

Kyle + Lynch + Frost or Not at all

25. Joe says:

I think it should be a wholesale reboot. I don’t think it would be very good as a continuation.

• A new story. What’s the point of a reboot about finding out who killed Laura Palmer when everybody know who did it? That’s was the story Lynch/Frost tried to tell until they were forced to reveal the killer before the time they were supposed to. Anyway… if you have great expectations or looking for “answers” or guidelines in whatever they will do, do not even start watching. I just can’t wait!

26. “They wouldn’t remake it. If anything was done, it would be 25 years later. It would never be a remake of anything we already did. Maybe you just didn’t mean to use that word, I don’t know. A remake, no, but it would be something new and fresh. David always said the town of “Twin Peaks” is still there; it’s still going on whether we watch it or not. So, who knows what’ll happen in the future? It would be 25 years later, not anything remade. Does that answer your question?”

27. alistaircrane says:

Rumor has it there will be an announcement Monday about Twin Peaks returning to TV on Showtime for an 8-episode run from Frost/Lynch with each episode directed by Lynch.

28. DavidSask says:

TP is cult classic, however I don’t think it would be cool to redo it. I also don’t think any network or cable outlet would be kind to it outside of netflix maybe. Many shows of late have adopted TP’s format of late though!

29. madi says:

I think it would pick off from 25 years later. It would be the same world of twin peaks we know and love but it would be a lot different just because of the time and you would have to mix in many new characters but I’m sure they could bring back many of the old actors especially Dale Cooper, Leland Palmer, Shelly, and others, most of the actors still around still work in TV so I could definitely see it happen.

• alistaircrane says:

Keep in mind Dale had a dream that he was in the Black Lodge 25 years later talking to Laura. Maybe the real Dale has been trapped in the Black Lodge all this time while BOB-Dale has been running amok in the real world.

30. This is just speculation but I suspect if this does, indeed, happen, it will be a continuation of the original series released in 2015 or 2016 via Netflix, which is currently aggressively expanding its original programming and would offer a level of creative freedom that network television simply wouldn’t. The Twin Peaks fandom has experienced a significant renaissance thanks to Netflix. It’s perennially one of the most popular series on the site and via social media ,sites such as Tumblr, young people reference, celebrate and analyze the series and its complex mythology literally 24 hours a day. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this happens and I, for one, hope it does.