The Voice Recap: The Curious Case of Un-Pushed Buttons [Updated]

The Voice - Season 7

“WHY AREN’T YOU ALL TURNING YOUR CHAIRS? TURN YOUR CHAIRS! TURN THEM! TURN THEM!”

Oh dear. I am so sorry to begin this recap of The Voice‘s fourth round of Season 7 Blind Auditions with an all-caps rant, but come on, I’m not the only one who finds himself shouting and gesticulating wildly when Gwen, Pharrell, Adam and Blake ignore winning PowerBall tickets falling from heaven, am I?

And by “winning PowerBall tickets,” of course, I mean serious contenders like Toia Jones and Amanda Lee Peers, who tonight had to settle for two- and one-chair turns, respectively, while far less convincing vocalists this season have found themselves the object of four coaches’ affections.

Such are the drawbacks of getting overly invested too early in the game in a reality singing competition. On the plus side, though, with Pharrell (currently the most charming man on the planet) and Gwen (cotton candy in human form), there hasn’t been a zero-chair turn that’d made me drop to my knees, shake a fist at the sky and scream “NOOOOOO!” (As I proofread this recap, I realize my husband deserves a really nice vacation at the end of the year).

Enough about my home life, though, let’s count down the nine vocalists who advanced tonight to the Season 7 Battle Rounds — in order from least- to most-promising — with a little review in a Twitter-esque 140 characters or less. (Yes, three other folks also advanced via the dreaded montage – but there was barely enough time to register their names, let alone what they were singing.) And also, let me just say even tonight’s seventh-best singer would’ve been Top 3 material on Monday night’s show:

Jonathan Wyndham The Voice9. Tanner Linford, “When You Say Nothing at All” (Team Blake) | Wide-eyed teen got rejected in Season 6, and was not any discernibly stronger this time around. Moral of the story: Adorableness does not a viable singer make.

8. Katriz Trinidad, “At Last” (Team Pharrell) |
Silly 15-year-old, “At Last” is for grown women! Sure, Katriz hit all the notes, but there was no yearning or joy underneath the technical proficiency. Four chairs for THIS? No. (This, on the other hand, gets ALL THE CHAIRS.)

7. Jean Kelly, “Already Gone” (Team Gwen) | Saucy dame struck some massive notes and displayed a sweet upper register on Kelly Clarkson’s angsty ballad. It’s just a shame Jean didn’t do more to differentiate her rendition from the original. (Also: How did no one on the panel ask her about her name? D’oh!)

6. Ethan Butler, “Beneath Your Beautiful” (Team Adam) | Brought a buttery tone to a song that I kinda can’t tolerate, but he’ll need a little more inner fire if he wants to burn his way through to the live rounds.

5. Craig Wayne Boyd, “The Whiskey Ain’t Workin'” (Team Blake) |
Dated fringe jacket aside, Craig delivered his country jam with a gritty authenticity that made it clear he’d probably knocked back the beverage in his song title more than a couple of times. Could be a sleeper if Blake treats him as more than cannon fodder for his army of precocious teenagers.

4. Jonathan Wyndham, “Say Something” (Team Adam) | Ridiculously handsome fella’s hands were noticeably trembling as he finished this done-to-death ballad with all four judges facing him. He’s got a pleasingly earthy tone and an ability to bring a song’s lyrics to vivid life, but he’s going to have to get those nerves in check — stat!

3. Amanda Lee Peers, “Put the Gun Down” (Team Gwen) | True confession: I wasn’t familiar with the ZZ Ward song that Amanda chose to cover — but it proves she’s got great taste in music. And while her diction could use a little improvement, that husky rocker growl and undeniable soul deserved more than a single-chair turn.

2. Chris Jamison, “Gravity” (Team Adam) |
Adam’s comment that Chris did too much with his voice on this John Mayer cover was nonsense — and I’m glad his three coaching counterparts dismissed it accordingly. Chris has incredible range and a variety of textures to his instrument — he can shift from growl to falsetto without ever making it look like work — and as Gwen noted, he’s really cute, to boot. The only thing hindering him, from a competitive standpoint, is that his Big Sad Backstory is being relegated to playing the Pepper Shaker in a 10th-grade production of Beauty and the Beast. I mean, Mark Burnett & Co. love human tragedy and insurmountable obstacles more than they do incredible vocal performances. There are only so many tear ducts they can activate via that Pepper Shaker pic.

1. Toia Jones, “One and Only” (Team Pharrell) | Toia imbued Adele’s epic love ballad with an almost religious fervor — and yet chose her ad-libs and runs with the careful precision of a trained pro who’s in complete control of the stage, the voice, the mood of the performance. She’s got an immediately recognizable tone, impeccable phrasing and a great sense of humor to boot (telling Carson he could book her for his next event made me LOL). I just hope the fact that she was only a two-chair turn doesn’t sway Pharrell away from the idea that she’s a true gem — with a legit chance to win.

On that note, then I pass the mic to you. Who were your favorites from Season 7 Episode 3? Did you find this episode vastly superior to Monday’s? Take our polls below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Jeff Marley says:

Toia jones was my favorite of the night? Why do I get the feeling she might be faced off in the battle rounds with maiya Sykes? Both are so good!!! :)

2. Quinn Carson says:

I really liked Chris, Toia, and Craig.

3. Andres says:

Team Pharell just got stronger with Toia Jones, she deserved a four chair turn. Also, Adam better keep Chris Jamison. I don’t think I would have turned for Tanner, or at least I would have montaged him and shown a different artist on Blake team that got montaged like Grant or Kensington. I am a little curious to see more from Amanda Lee Peers, I’m not sold on her yet.

4. Tiff says:

Loved Chris Jamison – easily my favourite of the night. That dude’s going far – he’s got a lot of talent, and a lot of potential to keep learning. Super smooth voice, and he knows how to use it. I was only disappointed that he chose Adam and not Pharrell.

I was completely shocked that Amanda Lee Peers only got Gwen to turn – that was ridiculous. She was pitch perfect on a really hard style and a hard song. I’m convinced that the reason they all didn’t turn is because she made it look/sound so damn easy.

• Taylor says:

Amanda was by far my favorite. I flipped out the second I heard the opening to a ZZ Ward song. Her taste alone gave her high marks; her performance escalated them to my favorite of the night

• Gb1 says:

I agree. Chris reminds me a little bit of a JT. He needs some polishing, but I feel like Pharrell would help him grow as an artist

5. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Tanner???? C’mon now. He’s a sweet boy, but he’s cannon fodder.

• MSJ4321 says:

You are so right. All I could think of with him – last season AND this season – was that he’s a kid whose parents should kindly, but with conviction, steer him in another direction.

• MSJ4321 says:

And the whole “I went away, got better, then came back” thing was irritating. It’s only like 6 months later! Congrats, he performed at his junior prom, I guess he’s ready for stardom now.
        Sorry to rant, I found his screen time a big waste of MY time.

• analythinker says:

All I can say is: if he’s not gonna get paired with that young montaged boy… (who was it… Grant?), I’ll be surprised.

6. Angie_Overrated says:

FINALLY! A few singers I care about. Other than that little boy (but I will freely admit he is a million times better compared to his last audition), they were all chair-turn-worthy competitors. This is night and day compared to the first three episodes.
    The game is back on.
    And I see Slezak has Jean Kelly (is that REALLY her name?!) ranked pretty low, so I just wanted to say… BOO!!! The judges should have been turning their chairs well before the high note stuff. She was doing some really cool and not-easy things with her voice, but then they turn when she holds a note for a few secs? Blech. Not necessarily my favorite of the night, but I thought I’d give her some props nonetheless.

7. gracelessk says:

Craig Wayne Boyd has a really good country voice. It’s the kind of voice that’s missing from country radio right now.

• Mytake says:

And I disagree with Michael. That jacket rocked!! Adam was right. Oh and I loved his voice too.

• Gb1 says:

I actually don’t like Country music, but really enjoyed his performance. Can’t wait to see what he does next

• Tyler says:

Agree. I’m not a country music listener, but I thought he was singing a Kenny Chesney song. I think country music needs more singers like him. I hope Blake brings out the modern country music in him.

• I think Craig Wayne Boyd was great and I heard the judges say he reminded them of the Van Zants which are Lynard Skynard and 38 special! You can bet they will be having him sing some Skynard! He kind of reminds me of an Allmon brother! Good stuff and I loved his coat!

• Jill Moy says:

Hey Becca, What’s happening?

• Hey Jill, You are missing some good singers. I was not thrilled with the voice last season, but there is some pretty good talent this year! How are you? You are missed. I miss seeing your comments around here!

• JIll I think I only didnt comment back on one of the weeks and that is because I had a dental thing going on (an extraction) taking a long time to heal and really put me out of sorts for a while! Sorry about that! but I have commented back on the others. Did you not see my comments back to you?

• Oh The AGT. The magician won didnt he? I wanted the blonde singer to win!

• MSJ4321 says:

Agreed! Now he just needs to put. the. straight. iron. down. Pretty sure Greg Allman never straight ironed his hair, hehe.

• I hope Craig Wayne Boyd does Midnight Rider by Greg Allman! Im not so sure he straight irons his hair. My nephew had bone straight hair just like that down to his “b t” lol. I mean there was no wave at all, very fine hair and very straight.

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

I commented in every post of The voice mentioning you and you didn’t reply. I still don’t watch this show, but because of you saying the country guy was good I took a listen to him.It’s funny, I thought of Greg Allmanthe minuteI saw him…we still think alike!

He is fantastic…a great country voice. He’ll go far…a great showman and pure country!

What did you think of the AGT final? Lemme know.

• Tom22 says:

This is one of the kinds of country music I’ve always liked. I was never much for the garth brooks kind of country which became the dominant kind of country for a long time now. I will say I’ve enjoyed some Carrie Underwood songs and I loves southern rock or gospel based country that you might call Grace Potter country songs if you tried to classify them.

I liked listening to this guy.. and watching him. This is a stage show and I”m not going to hold back this year on saying that the men and women should have an attractiveness to their charm on stage. That doesn’t mean good looking necessarily Hejuun Hahn or Casey Abrahm weren’t cover boys but they were pleasant to watch on stage and in front of a mic which is part of what being on a Variety show is all about.

8. Hey Yah says:

Can I just say I love Toia? I think I just did.

9. Kaba says:

I thought that Chris guy that sang “Say Something” has an awful tone and gave a sub-par performance tbh

• Angie_Overrated says:

I wouldn’t say “awful tone” but I’m generally with you. I was a bit confused by the love. I liked some of the less celebrated contestants more, like Jean Kelly (is that REALLY her name?!).

• JM says:

I liked her, too!! Don’t know why she’s so low-rated. And her name! I thought there was something wrong with my hearing, because no one stated the obvious!

10. This is the second night in a row you’ve said 9 went through. There were 12. 3 got the dreaded montage each night. But they still exist!

11. kevin says:

Am I the only one that’s sick of that Say Something? Look, the song is beautiful, but it also works to put to put me to sleep at night.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No, you’re not the only one. I groaned with great ferocity when he said what he was going to sing. Probably my least favorite song of the last decade.

• analythinker says:

*raises hand* I don’t even get the appeal of the singer (see I don’t even know if both of the duo sing). I thought his voice was just ‘aight.

• The Beach says:

You’re not alone. That song makes me want to open a vein.

• Tom22 says:

I enjoyed the perfomance a lot. If I’d be so bold I’d say it highlights the difference between people who are most concerned about the musical flair for rhythym and how personality in an actiing type way comes through in a voice. For those looking for a strong “voice” and less focussed ont the grace of the rhytmic unity or flavor of humantity imbued in choices they made, you’re going to like people who belt or sustain notes ferverently more than I do (as ferverent is an emotion that I don’t always like either).

12. analythinker says:

Okay, so I’m gonna throw an unpopular opinion here. I think Toia was just OK and Anita, even though she’s unique, I’m afraid she wouldn’t be able to keep up with other genres (she’s welcome to prove me wrong).

I guess I prefer those with strong vocals and versatility rather than those unique voices that would get swallowed whole by poor song choices.

Also, I hate to be the killjoy, but I didn’t think Blessing from yesterday’s ep deserved a four-chair turn as well… but with that teleprompter under every seat, who knows if the coaches were “instructed” (or encouraged, whatever) to turn around in some cases….

• Angie_Overrated says:

We were having the same discussion last night in Casa de Angie Overrated. I’m almost positive they were instructed to turn their chairs. i don’t know how else to explain the inexplicable.

• analythinker says:

Yes, he was so out of tune I couldn’t even watch him. He could be nervous though, and Adam did say he turned bc of Blessing’s “recovery” from it.

• Adam says:

Agree on both Toia and Blessing. Not a fan of either one. Chris Jamison was the standout for me tonight, with Craig in a distant second.

• The Beach says:

You summed up very well what I was feeling about Toia (way over-praised) and Blessing (really not good at all). And as far as the producers “promting” a turn-around: that’s what I thought tonight when Blake turned at the last second for that Tanner kid who was clearly not ready for prime time.

13. Angie_Overrated says:

Hmm… top 2 look right, but the guy who sang Gravity was a bit wonky on the falsettos (man, what I wouldn’t give to hear another falsetto, like, EVER). I liked the born-again Christian lesbian a lot, but I’d have to give my #3 spot to Jean. She was doing some cool stuff with her voice in the middle of that song. And she has the perfect coach because her biggest weakness is wardrobe, and that’s Gwen’s specialization. What… was… that… outfit? Dear lord.
    Toia was magical. Best voice I’ve heard yet this season. Her top notes were brilliant and her bottom notes were chocolatey. Didn’t love her song choice, but with a voice like hers, I can’t wait to hear what she does next.
    Also I think the adorbs 15 year old filipina is underrated here. I didn’t LOVE her, but I thought she was pretty solid. It could also be that she went first and I still had memories of last night’s auditory terrorism still clamoring in my ear drums and haunting my psyche.

14. Angie_Overrated says:

What is wrong with this message board? I’ve tried posting several times and it doesn’t post. Is anyone else having this problem? I’m guessing if you do, you will not be able to respond, so I’ll simply never know.

• analythinker says:

I did post yesterday and it didn’t go through.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, I tried responding to you last night two times and both times it didn’t post. I demand answers!

• Michael Slezak says:

Angie_Overrated, did you have any links to other sites or any possible profanity? Just trying to figure out what might’ve caused the problem.

• analythinker says:

I’m answering for myself, but I did not use any profanity (never even feel the need to). I am registered to another WP acct with a different name for work though, maybe it’s conflicted?

• Angie_Overrated says:

My first Slezak response! And of course it’s logistics related. :(
            Nope, no profanity. And no links of any sort. It’s been happening for a few weeks actually.

• Mytake says:

I’ve had it happen several times. Even back with AI posting. In my case I sometimes feel it’s due to being long winded. If I try to post a long post and it doesn’t go through, even breaking the post into smaller ones after, some go through and some won’t.

• Michael Slezak says:

I’ll do my best to get to the bottom of it. Love the robust, respectful conversations among our TVLine readers!

15. Lloyd says:

Last week it seemed to me that Gwen was never the first to push her button and that she was always looking to see if other coaches would do it before making her decision, which was an annoying habit of Danny on Voice UK, but I’m glad to see that she has proven me wrong this week.

• JM says:

I agree. Maybe she just needed to warm up? Anyway, so happy she seems to be filling the CeeLo ‘one-chair turn’ void.

16. mara says:

I don’t know…the four chair turn is kind of a psychological thing we, as loser singing show fans, decided meant the world. Like the standing ovation on Idol desensitized my idea of its purpose….the four chair turn or lack thereof…really means little to me. I like Toia for her voice, the honky tonky guy for his obvious love for what he does, the say something guy for his smile, Pharrell’s parents for having sex and making him.

• Gb1 says:

I agree. The four-chair turn has no meaning now. They all look at each other and see who turns. A couple of times Gwen said “I want you on my team bc I need boys.” Really?! I love Gwen but no..

17. Andres says:

Ok this is totally just my opinion it here are my number one picks for each team so far.
    Blake- James David Carter
    Gwen- Troy Ritchie
    Adam- Chris Jamison
    Phraell- Maiya Sykes

18. Temperance says:

Nah, Adam was the only correct one about Chris Jameson – he did over do it. Not by a lot, but he clearly agreed because he went with Adam.

19. Gb1 says:

Chris and Anita were my favorites tonight. Amanda was my next fave. I can see why Toia only got a 2-chair turn. It is because no matter how much of an amazing singer, or powerhouse, the Voice is all about finding that unique sound and realness. This is a reason I didn’t care for Katriz- no soul!! She sang all of the right notes, but you have to feel what you’re singing. Same goes for the girls that sang “already gone” and “unconditional.” You have to move people! Can’t wait for the battle rounds. I love this season because I love all of the coaches

• Gb1 says:

Oh, can I just say Jessie… Been there, done that. All of these “airy-voiced, quirky singers” are starting to sound the same. Not impressed

• Gb1 oh I sooo agree. All of these soft airy voice females they all sound alike. The only one I liked was the first one. I think her name was Melany and she had 2 different colors of hair. She made her own dresses and wore a bow in her hair. It was a few seasons ago. But now they all try to sound like that! Im sick of it and I think they make their voice sound like that on purpose, Annoying!

20. Sherry H says:

Thank you for sharing the Melinda Doolittle performance! Wow…just wow

21. Delante says:

Toia, Jonathan, & Chris def the stars last night! Totally agree Katriz didn’t deserve a four chair turn! Pharrell & Gwen are welcome additions and I love the feedback they give.

22. Kaba says:

You do know Katriz only got a 3 chair turn around right?

23. safado says:

Is there any way you could post a thumbnail pic of each contestant when you review them? In this early stage at least, I can’t remember them by name.

24. After watching The Voice Kids and X Factor from various other countries, I can’t in good conscience get excited about any of these contestants. Yikes. This season’s going to be a rough one.

• Sharon says:

I certainly felt that way after Monday’s show, but today I’ve been remembering other Voice and Idol seasons when early performances were uninspiring, and then a handful of contestants stepped up and impressed. One of my main frustrations with The Voice is that we only get to see a few performers several times. Adam seemed to suggest to someone this week (can’t remember who) that it was important to show growth and improvement in order to have a chance to win, and I couldn’t agree more.

• Tom22 says:

I think there were lots of very enjoyable singers in the first two shows and a few in each of shows 3 and 4.

All I want is to have 5 or 7 enjoyable performances on shows and I don’t enjoy big voices sweating up tears and singing too hard. I like performers with an easy charm and way of connecting their personality into musical interpetations of songs that gracefully fit in with good band arrangments. All of that is about skill as singers and singers are musicians, not just people with strong voices.

What flamboyant diva voices.. might not be the season for you.

25. Im kinda worried that Adam has some great male singers (and the handsome ones too). He always gets rid of them and ends up with all women. Except when he had Will Champlin. He has pissed me off every year getting rid of some excellent male singers! Hopefully the ones he boots out will get saved by other judges! If I was a guy( which im not) I would never pick adam because he likes to “usually end up with female singers!

• Shawn says:

I wouldn’t pick Adam at all because he’s the worst coach and I can’t stand his ego. Yes I know Tessanne and Javier won and were both part of Team Adam but they won inspite of Adam and not because of him. Look at all the potential contestants he had that could have helped him cross the finish line and he completely ruined their chances with bad song choices or pushing them in the wrong direction. Amanda Brown, Judith Hill, and James Wolpert are a few that come to mind.

• Tyler says:

Worse than Cee-Lo and Blake?! Do you remember the songs Cee-Lo gave to Caroline and Blake gave to Austin? I wouldn’t say Adam was the worst coach. That would have to go to either Cee-Lo (didn’t understand his singers) or Blake (plays it safe).

• ShawnYes Exactly, He gave his favorites like Tessane great song choices and Will Champlin got the flimsy songs! Everyone should have a chance to do an iconic song! I loved the season with Terry McDermot and Nicholas David because that season the contestants had “a say so” when picking songs. Could you imagine if Nicholas David had to sing pop or country? They allowed him to pick Bill Withers and other soulful songs which pushed him to the top. Same with Terry who did his classic rock. It was a good season. Why cant they pick their own songs? Adam is terrible at picking songs! Especially if you are not the favorite on his team!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Took a listen to Toia, since everyone thinks she is wonderful! If this is the best The Voice can offer, I’m not missing a thing. She was average at best. Another case of a black singer who thinks they are something when they’re not.

I never saw your replies. Anyway, I hope your teeth are feeling better. Thanks for the reply. People just don’t know what a good singer is, do they?

• Michael Johns says:

I agree, Jill. WTF Toia isn’t even average at best. She’s boring. I love Amanda and Anita.

• Jill Moy says:

Agreed Mr. Johns. Becca thought you were the MJ singer from AI who died. I didn’t think so but who knows???? You could have been him.

Glad you are alive and well.

• OMG I did think it was him. OK so this is funny! Very funny Michael Johns! LOL LOL

• Michael Johns says:

LOL. I’m alive and spreading s**t you turdballsies! Was very sad that MJ passed away at a very young age tho. Obviously, I was a huge fan. I missed you, you guys! Lez get this party started!

• MICHAEL JOHNS? LOL LOL LOL Hey Mr Sassy, where have you been? Its Becca.Well at least you picked a great name to use!

• I know what you mean! I thought Toia was just average! I cant remember which week the blind black guy who played keyboards and sang was on, but he was very good! Kinda like a Stevie Wonder! And also I like Craig Wayne Boyd, The country guy with long hair and the fringe coat!

26. I want one of the females to sing Chandelier by Sia! Have any of you seen the original video? The little 11 year old “Maddie Ziegler” from “dance Moms tv show” dances to the song. She is friggin excellent! Holy cr**. She makes the song even more emotional than it is. I think she is better at 11 than anyone from “So You Think You Can Dance. Have a look on U tube. You will be amazed. There are 209 million views. Anyhow I hope one of the women sing that song!

27. Davey says:

Much as I liked Tola she reminded me of other singers I’ve seen on this show and American Idol.

28. charity Winfree says:

I’m 9 yrs. Old LOVE TO SING PLEASE CALL MY MOM PHONE 404-518-9062

29. Lloyd says:

Err, Michael… Katriz got 3 chairs, not 4.

30. colton says:

go to music yahoo for a real review

31. OhMy says:

“| Adam’s comment that Chris did too much with his voice on this John Mayer cover was nonsense.” No, no it wasn’t.

32. It really doesn’t matter if you win r lose on this reality singing show. The days of big singing stars coming from this show like ie Kelly Clarkson are long gone. The Voice is fun but none of the winners since it started 4 years ago have broke into 10 hits on billboard charts. The show is exposure for all the contestants.