Rush Hour TV Series In the Works for CBS from Bill Lawrence, Brett Ratner

Rush Hour Series

Please try to understand the words that are coming out of this article.

RELATED Fox Eyes Minority Report TV Series

An hourlong action-comedy series based on the Jackie Chan/Chris Tucker franchise Rush Hour is currently in the works from Warner Bros. TV, our sister site Deadline reports.

The project will reportedly be co-written and executive-produced by Bill Lawrence, with Arthur Sarkissian and Brett Ratner — the director of the franchise — also on board to executive-produce.

The Rush Hour movies follow Detective Inspector Lee (Chan) and Detective James Carter (Tucker) as they team up to solve various crimes. Three films have been made so far — in 1998, 2001 and 2007, respectively — with a fourth installment reportedly in the works.

UPDATE (9/2/14): Rush Hour has received a pilot production commitment from CBS, per Deadline. This means a pilot will definitely be made for the network, but a pick-up is not necessarily guaranteed.

Thoughts on this potential series? Any casting suggestions? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. Matthew Weber says:

Depends on who they get to star in it. If they get Chan and Tucker, it will be awesome. If not it will be terrible. They make the movies good.

• JeffDJ says:

It seems unlikely the movie actors will reprise their big screen roles, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the series would fail. How many times has a TV version of a movie franchise kept the movie actors anyway? That said, casting needs to be spot-on.

• Moment says:

Tucker reportedly received $25 million to appear in Rush Hour 3. I don’t think they could afford him in a TV series role somehow.

• Matthew Weber says:

Yeah. Chan would be expensive too. But still, I don’t see any good alternatives, but maybe I’d be surprised.

• Moment says:

I agree with you, I can’t see it either. But I think if they really want to go ahead with this, they would need one or the other to appear in a guest capacity in the pilot, maybe in just a few scenes to give people a familiar face.

• Pat says:

Well Tucker does owe 14 million to the IRS, or at least did, not sure if he paid it off, so he may be game for anything.

2. Tran says:

I enjoy the Rush Hour movies with Jackie Chan & Chris Tucker but why will they come up with the idea of a TV series? Two words: BAD IDEA.

3. Ben says:

I think it would be very difficult to cast a pair with chemistry as good as Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. Or, in reality, anyone quite like Jackie Chan. He is a unique individual.

4. Terrance says:

For some reason, Damian Wayans Jr came to mind for playing Det. James Carter.

5. Moment says:

I really don’t think this would work as a TV series, it’s more suited for movies instead. Do a Rush Hour 4 and give the franchise a proper send off.

6. Ram510 says:

I’m on board if Bill Lawrence is involved. And I’m still waiting on the fourth movie. Chris Tucker needs to get it together and get the job done ASAP!

7. Eric says:

I don’t know…they tried the “hourlong action comedy based on a film franchise” with Beverly Hills Cop last year, and that didn’t work out, despite the involvement of original cast members. I’m not sure if this will have much more luck, even though I enjoy the movies, as well as almost all of Bill Lawrence’s TV series. As others have said, this will really come down to who they cast in the lead roles.

8. Tran says:

Hope they won’t cast Arsenio Hall for the Chris Tucker role of Detective James Carter. Remember when Arsenio was in Martial Law?

9. Ram510 says:

I’m surprised so many people on here think it’s a bad idea. It’ll be like every other cop show (Hawaii Five 0 and NCIS LA come to mind) but with the extra emphasis on comedy and bill lawrence knows his comedy. If they get 2 great leads with a lot of comedic chemistry this could be tv gold

10. Jess says:

I’m not too sure about this. I don’t know how well those movies would work as a tv series. Plus do we really need another cop show? I will keep an open mind for now. One movie I would love to see as a tv series is Men in Black. Ohhhh maybe they could use the actor who played Jin on Chicago PD.

11. jj says:

i’ll watch anything bill lawrence is attached to

12. justsomeguy says:

It definitely depends on who they get to play the two lead roles. I think Sung Kang(Fast and the Furious movies) and Mehcad Brooks(Necessary Roughness) would be great in their respective roles. I like both actors.

• Erin2 says:

Wow… I was having trouble thinking of anyone who could play these roles but you sir knocked it out of the park with your suggestions!!!!

13. Joey Padron says:

I’m not sure about making movies into a tv show. Jackie & Chris made movies great. Hopefully get good actors for the show.

14. Timmy says:

I didn’t really like the third movie. To me it looks like they didn’t really have a story to tell. I’ll be cautiously optimistic for the series though as long as they don’t stretch it.

15. Joey says:

It has the potential to be great. That being said, how many things that are awful had the potential to be great?

16. kd86953 says:

i freaking love these movies so i’d be willing to give a tv series a shot, especially with bill lawrence. if they can get chris tucker and/or jackie chan to guest, even better!

17. Laura says:

Dule Hill as Carter perhaps?

18. Ella says:

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. Just, NO.

19. Benny says:

Donald Faison for Carter

20. Shar says:

John Cho and Damon Wayans Jr.

21. CatInTheHat says:

John Cho or Tim Kang would be great with Dule Hill or Taye Diggs. Kind of outside the box I guess.