The Simpsons Premiere Video: Watch Don Hertzfeldt's Trippy Couch Gag

People often joke about The Simpsons, now in its 26th season, continuing forever — but what if it really did?

RELATED The Simpsons Post Mortem: EP Explains [Spoiler]’s ‘Surprising’ Death

The couch gag on Sunday’s season premiere explored that very notion, and the results were surprisingly mind-blowing. Directed by Don Hertzfeldt — the award-winning animator/filmmaker behind such fare as the Oscar-nominated 2000 short Rejected, which presented a commentary on corporate advertising — the two-minute sequence propelled The Simpsons far into the future. More specifically, it brought them to Septembar 36.4, 10,535 for a look at episode 164.775.7.

The result was unsettling, brilliant and, at times, even touching. (Don’t tell me you didn’t get choked up during “Homar” and Marge’s little moment at the 1:26 mark.)

Hit PLAY on the out-of-this-world cough gag above, then drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Walter Freeman says:

I hope Mr. Hertzfeldt shares whatever he keeps in his medicine cabinet.

2. Luis says:

Consider . . . mind . . . blown

3. alistaircrane says:

I loved this couch gag! Say what you will about The Simpsons, but their couch gags have gotten even more and more creative over the years, like the Banksy one from a couple of seasons ago.

4. John says:

I’m scared.

5. Joey Padron says:

Great coach gag.

6. PMP says:

To borrow Krusty’s words from “Worker and Parasite”…what the hell was that?

7. Eric says:

I absolutely loved this couch gag. I thought it was strange and creative and just overall interesting. Does anyone know what the piece of classical music used near the end of it was? I just can’t place it…

8. Just Crap (is that a curse??) It made no sense and nobody got choked up. Everything I read, nobody can explain what it was. The artsy people are saying its great because they think that is what they are supposed to say, but they didn’t get it either.

• Rick S. says:

This was a glimpse into the deep future; to a time when humans are morphed into machine and computer. The concept is that humans evolve so far from their human origins that comedy and entertainment are something completely alien to what we currently understand. Human emotion is so suppressed and devolved that comedy has become stripped to something completely basic and absurd. The show is still on and running but morphed into something unrecognizable to us humans living in 2014.

9. Tom says:

I skipped it after a bit of it, didn’t enjoy it.

10. nickul says:

I had the really bad inspiration to get high just before starting to watch this episode… i rly thought i lost my mind… but now that i see it sober it is really super deep and emotional

11. john mathias says:

Best couch gag ever. Never have I been so impressed to google one then comment on it. Brilliant.

12. Shan says:

I actually thought it was meant to be a take on Internet-memes.
    Like the those badly drawn Dolan and Gooby comics.