Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison on Crane's Wife Strife: Can Katrina Be Trusted?

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Preview Tom Mison

Remember when Ichabod and Abbie’s biggest problem was just a horseman without a head? Wasn’t that cute?

This week on Sleepy Hollow, the Witnesses do battle with not one but two harbingers of the apocalypse — at the same time — and must resurrect one of Benjamin Franklin’s most ambitious creations in order to stay in the good-vs.-evil game.

RELATED Sleepy Hollow Casts Aunjanue Ellis as Abbie’s Mother

The fight (and Franklin’s Frankenstein-like behemoth, which is called The Kindred) are tough; what’s ahead for Mills, Crane and an imprisoned Capt. Irving is tougher. The hour finds Ichabod and Katrina having distinctly different ideas about how to stop their embittered son, a theme star Tom Mison says will resonate for time to come.

“Every character is full of doubt this season, particularly Ichabod with Katrina, with how to deal with Henry,” the actor tells TVLine. “Also, that’s Henry’s path. [The Horseman of] War could come with guns a-blazing, but it’s not that sort of war. It’s more that Henry is going around, planting these seeds of doubt in every character in order to tear them apart.”

And in Ichabod, Henry will have plenty of fodder, given that Katrina lied (ostensibly in everyone’s best interest) about being a witch and being Washington’s spy, for starters.

“That, obviously, will raise up questions — particularly coming from Abbie — of how much can we trust Katrina?” Mison says. “It’s a really good way to avoid the whole damsel-in-distress bit. And it’s nice; we get to see more of Katrina’s potential.”

Meanwhile, remember how series co-creators Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman told TVLine that Ichabod and Abbie’s bond is “obviously going to raise a lot of questions” for Mrs. Crane in the coming season? Prepare for that to start this week.

RELATED Matt’s Inside Line: Sleepy Hollow Scoop!

“It’s a very clever way of dealing with bringing Katrina and Ichabod back together,” Mison says of the Cranes’ current marital strife. “Start it on a potentially bad foot.”

Speaking of marriage trouble, danger and bleak futures, Irving’s back!

Orlando Jones says when we first encounter the captain — who, you’ll recall, confessed to two murders in order to protect his then-demonically-possessed daughter Macey — prison life is not agreeing with him.

VIDEO Sleepy Hollow Stars Talk Abbie’s Mom and the Cranes’ ‘Wonderfully Destructive’ Son

“One of those weird circumstances you encounter when you’re accused of killing someone is the police are just not particularly helpful, even more so when you’re a cop accused of killing two other cops,” Jones jokes. “He’s powerless.”

His replacement, Leena Reyes (House of Cards‘ Saking Jaffrey, who makes her debut this week), really doesn’t want her predecessor mixing it up with Mills and Crane… or anyone. In fact, Irving’s isolation plays directly into evil’s bigger plan, leading to a twist at the end of the episode that sets up some very bad business for the weeks ahead. (Suffice to say, Irving’s ultimate freedom isn’t a given.)

“It’s gonna be a slow burn on this one,” he says.

1. Dani says:

Just when I think Sleepy Hollow has reached its peak, it tops itself.

2. murley says:

Loved the premiere and I am really looking forward to what is on tap for the season. I may be alone in this but i would actually prefer it if Katrina turned out to be untrustworthy in some way. Either corrupt and on the wrong side of things or driven to ultimately betray Ichabod. I think it would be a lot more interesting. The whole “my beloved wife, my heart belongs only to one man…” stuff is kind of boring in an otherwise much more interestingly layered show. I think it would be wonderful to watch Tom Mison’s Ichabod struggle with the discovery that the women he labored so long and hard to free from purgatory and then, presumably, the headless horseman and spent all this time holding in his heart as his true love actually became the enemy or betrayed him or whatever. That would be such a rich storyline! However it plays out i am pleased to hear there with be some conflict between the two to make their relationship more interesting and layered than it currently is.

• Angela says:

I agree that it would be very interesting to see Ichabod dealing with the realization that his wife isn’t as trustworthy as he thought, and that he (and she, for that matter), would have to do some serious soul-searching about the marriage in the process (they’ve been separated for a long time, after all, it’s only natural that things wouldn’t be all roses and sunshine now that they’re reunited again). And I love the idea of them being at odds over how to deal with Henry, and, now that she’s in the modern world, the two of them having some different perspectives on life in the 21st century and all it entails. I’m all for them having some serious ups and downs in their marriage that they need to sort out.
      I just don’t know how comfortable I am with the thought of her ever becoming the enemy. It could very well be a good storyline, sure, and done right I’d be up for seeing it happen. But at the same time, I personally do like the strong love that Ichabod and Katrina do have for each other, and I’d be interested to see them dealing with all this craziness and these difficult situations and struggles while still holding on to their love for one another in the process. I just fear that making her the villain could go a rather cliché route (especially if the show ever did someday decide to move in the direction of trying to put Ichabod and Abbie together romantically). It would be kind of neat, to me, if the show had the Cranes toughing things out with their marriage and coming out stronger in the end.
      But that’s just my take *Shrugs*. This show’s so good, though, that I bet they probably could make any storyline worth watching.
      As for Irving…so there’s a twist in tonight’s episode involving his jail struggles? Hmmmm. Good to see him showing up again-if there was one thing I missed from last week, it was him. Can’t wait to see how things unfold tonight!

• tamara says:

That’s just cliche. Keep Katrina good and develope her as her powers and be of good use.

I like Katrina and so much can be done with her.

• Angela says:

Agreed. I like Katrina, too, and I hope they can make her more of an ally for Ichabod, Abbie, and Jenny over time.

• dman6015 says:

Nah, I think Katrina goes over to the dark side. For all the Ichabie shippers out there, she has to turn bad, because Ichabod won’t do anything untoward while his beloved Katrina is still beloved.

3. Moment says:

I don’t think Katrina would ever betray Ichabod through her own choice. Obviously given that Ichabod is unpopular among Molochs people(er demons lol) I would guess someone would do something to her to make her do something she wouldn’t normally do.

4. Babybop says:

I think it would be ridiculous to have Ichabod and Katrina be the perfect couple after all this time and drama. Good for them for giving some reality to otherwise unrealistic sitautions!

5. chaouad says:

Katrina is a witch right ?

• Annabel says:

YES! She’s a witch..so what? Her powers gave Icabod d right to live again. Besides She’s Icabod’s wife and keeping secrets from him was because she was protecting him… Icabod is ancient and she’s also ancient so let them be

6. Każda oferowana przez nas spółka z. posiada oświadczenie
    członków zarządu braku zaległości oraz braku jakichkolwiek innych trwających umów.