Once Upon a Time Premiere Recap: Do You Want to Fight a Snowman?

Once Upon a Time Evil Snowman

ABC’s Once Upon a Time, after four months of buzz, finally opened Season 4 and its Frozen-themed arc. Did seeing Elsa, Anna et al come to life give you chills, or leave you cold?

RELATED Once Upon a Time Bosses Preview Emma/Regina Deep Dive, [Spoiler]’s Return and More

IN THE ARENDELLE THAT WAS…. | Even with all the build-up, Once‘s take on Frozen was even more faithful (if sometimes a bit on-the-nose) than I expected. In flashback, we see Elsa and Anna’s parents — King Agdar and Queen Idun, dressed exactly as they were in the movie — on their fateful voyage to, supposedly, the Northern Isles. Just before the churning sea consumes the ship, Idun scrawls a message-in-a-bottle to their daughters, insisting to her husband, “They must know”… something. Five years later, Elsa and Anna are visiting their parents’ grave site, before Elsa lightens the mood with a surprise for the bride-to-be: Mom’s wedding gown. ELIZABETH LAIL, GEORGINA HAIGBut as Anna tries it on, Elsa discovers their mother’s diary, which suggests that it was Elsa’s fault that they took that ill-fated voyage, because they were out to “stop” her terrifying powers.

Seeking more intel on what their parents were out to accomplish, Anna consults her “future in-laws,” namely Pabbie (voiced by John Rhys-Davies and looking just like the movie’s rock troll). He knew not of the king and queen’s mission, but says they were in fact headed to a place called Mist Haven. Knowing how badly things went the last time Elsa abandoned Arendelle, Anna says she will travel to Mist Haven by herself, hoping to find out what secrets await there. Elsa tries to stop her sis, but Kristoff (Nice haircut mention! Bad frosting excuse!) stalls his future sis-in-law long enough to allow Anna to embark for Mist Haven — or as it is otherwise know,n The Enchanted Forest.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Scoop on Emma Flashbacks, Regina/Snow Scenes

IN STORYBROOKE…. | The ish is still hitting the fan, as Regina storms out of Granny’s diner, having been dealt the bombshell that Emma brought Robin’s “dead” wife Marian back through time. Emma tries to state her case, but Regina notes, “The more you try to help, the worse my life becomes.” Marian launches into a rant about how everyone LANA PARRILLA, SEAN MAGUIRE, CHRISTIE LAINGis all buddy-buddy with the Evil Queen, to the point that Regina almost unleashes a can of fireball, but instead Madam Mayor exits stage left, leaving Henry to worry that his mom will go evil again, after having come so far.

The next morning, Emma, Snow, Charming and Henry are taking Prince Neal for a stroll when Grumpy runs down the street to declare the town “under attack!” He relates how he and Sleepy (worst designated driver ever) got frozen in their tracks the night before by someone with ice magic. Emma and Hook follow a frosty trail, but just as they get close to Elsa, the frightened ice queen summons a giant snow monster. The “evil snowman,” as Grumpy labels him, makes tracks for the forest, while Elsa, still in hiding, catches a glimpse of a newspaper headline about Mr. Gold’s wedding. Speaking of….

Belle has commandeered a vacated mansion — one that apparently came over during the last curse — for her and Rumple’s honeymoon. There, and magically changed into appropriately formal duds, Once Upon a Time Rumbellethey partake in a wonderful ballroom dance, to the infamous “Beauty and the Beast” theme no less. Later, Rumple — who earlier had conversed with Baelfire’s tombstone about his struggle to be the better man his son died for — secretly retrieves the Dark One’s dagger from Belle’s purse, to work some hocus pocus on a curious tchotchke in the mansion. And as he does so, it transforms into… the sorcerer’s hat.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Drafts Army Wives‘ Sally Pressman in Season 4

Regina meanwhile gets a visit from Robin, who says that though his feelings for her are real, his “code” dictates that he honor his and Marian’s “till death-that-sticks do us part” vows. This leaves Regina searching for a way to reclaim her happy ending, so she fetches Sidney Glass from his cell in Section 108 (heh) of the loony bin (keypad lock combination 8-1-5, heh). Regina observes how Marian’s happy ending, as detailed in the storybook, seems immutable, so she somehow needs to be “removed.” Sidney interprets that to mean his queen is in need of his services as her “murderous arm,” how he knew Regina, his No. 1 crush, would never forget about him. “Riiiiight,” Regina eyerolls, before explaining that she needs a “more elegant touch” in this situation. So at first, she has Sidney — returned to his mirror prison — show her who Marian was in the past and why the Evil Queen decided to kill her. That way, Regina can travel back through time and kill her before Emma can save her.

Back in the forest, no bows, bullets OnceUponaTime_Snowmanor even blasts of Emma’s magic can stop the snowman. Rather, the creature KOs almost everyone, then targets Marian — before Regina shows up. It appears that Regina ignores her rival’s pleas to be saved and poofs away, but then she materializes behind the monster to strike him down with a fireball. “Welcome to Storybrooke,” Regina says to Marian. Afterward, Hook confronts Emma again about her obviously avoiding him in the wake of their steamy clinch the night before. She explains the guilt she feels about Regina/Robin, but when Hook suggests more is at play, she reassures him with a tender kiss: “Be patient.” Aye!

Later, spurred by a pep talk from Emma (who as Savior is resolved to give everyone their happy endings), Regina decides on a different approach to remedying her love life — to find the person who wrote the “cursed” storybook and force him/her to give her what she deserves. “It’s time for villains to get their happy endings,” she pronounces.

As the hour closes, we see Elsa find her way to Gold’s shop to retrieve the snowflake necklace that she had given her sister (and was conveniently displayed in the newspaper wedding photo). “Don’t worry, Anna,” the ice queen thinks aloud. “I will find you.”

NOTABLE QUOTABLES | “Well, that party went south fast”…. “She’s awfully vanilla. Can you blame me?”…. “He won’t smell like that forever”….. “Want to go home and see what’s on Netflix?”/”I don’t know what that is, but sure!”….”I can probably tell you if you’re wearing too much eye makeup, but….”

What did you think of Once Upon a Time‘s Season 4 premiere? Who were the king and queen hoping to meet in Mist Haven? What sorcery hath Rumple uncovered? (And whose mansion is that?) And does Sven qualify for our Quotes of the Week column?

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Tony says:

I must say, I’m surprised at how faithful they stayed to the movie. I mean, down to the inclusion of the rock trolls, lol.

• Tony says:

Otherwise, great season premiere

• Terry says:

I’m probably the only person on the planet who has not seen Frozen, nor do I have any desire to, so I was a bit worried the show wouldn’t be enjoyable unless you had seen the movie. But I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the premiere very much and it really didn’t matter at all. I’m probably missing a lot of nudge nudge wink wink moments but I think I was anyway even with the regular fairy tales, so its all okay. Good CGI on the giant snowman, nice to see a TV show not skimp on the effects. cough, cough – Grey’s Anatomy – cough, cough.

• JR says:

You’re not alone, I”ve never seen Frozen or had a desire to. I was concerned about being able to follow it, but so far its ok. Hopefully they will fill in some backstory for the rest of us.

Grumpy seems to be the official town cryer “The Town Is Under Attack!!!!’

I suppose its too much of a connection to go Anna->Anastasia

• I didn’t like how they used the Snow Man because in the movie, it was this giant monster but it wasn’t something that needed to be overcome. In the show, though, they cut it down instantly.

2. Paz says:

I feel that they gave us enough in this episode to know what this half season is going to be about. I love that they didn’t fill this episode with too much stuff. I am completely at the edge of my sit, can wait for next week! That’s the whole point, right? I give it an A, there’s always room for improvement.

3. Lysh says:

That hat looked like the sorcerer’s apprentice Mickey hat, though I doubt that house belongs to a mouse. It was a great episode! I wanted to see more Henry and Regina and I can’t wait for the town to discover Elsa, but it definitely feels nice to have Once back.

4. Mike R says:

I thought it was much better than season 3 premiere, I loved all the new character, Anna was perfect, Kristoff and Sven were fantastic, and Elsa looks to be a great character( though the I’m the queen line tired quick), and was really impressed with the trolls animation.

Not entirely sure how I feel of Regina’s path yet, though finding the author is much better than kill Marian in the past.

Overall good premiere, and I’m really lolking forward to the Frozen arc.

5. Tran says:

I give the season four premiere of OUAT an A. Still can’t enough Jennifer Morrison.

6. Emmy says:

I thought it was a really good start to the season! Can’t wait to see more of Kristoff….Scott Michael Foster was great as per usual!

7. ashley says:

Is the jail cell number and combination supposed to be references to something? If so, I missed it.

When they showed Emma talking to Regina through the door, was I the only one expecting to her, “Do you want to build a snowman?” I think the frozen references were just ever so slightly a little too tongue in cheek.

8. Zelda says:

I liked it. The episode felt a bit crowded at times and I would have liked a little more attention on some Storybrooke aspects, but I understand why there was heavy focus on Frozen and Arendelle flashbacks to properly introduce it as the big half-season story. I liked Anna a lot and of course Sven and Kristoff were great comic relief. I’m not sure about Elsa yet, but it’s only been one episode and she’ll get plenty of opportunity to win me over.
    I was THRILLED to see G. Esposito on OUAT again and he didn’t disappoint. The Sidney and Regina scenes had the perfect balance of sassy humor and serious plot development. I’m extremely excited for the story they launched in the last minutes. Finally the book and the question who wrote it is getting major focus. This is probably the best thing that came out of this episode for me. Although I’m curious about what Rumple’s up too as well.
    My favorite scene was the Robin and Regina one in her office. It breaks your heart because you know they want to be together and they should be together and yet… they can’t. Lana Parrilla always kills it in these scenes, but Sean Maguire did a superb job with Robin’s internal conflict in this scene. My heart ached for him. He’s in an impossible situation and he knows what his heart wants, but of course he can’t just give up on Marian and his code either. Sean Maguire nailed the conflict and the emotional tornado that Robin has been hit with beautifully. Major kudos. And I really need to see more of Robin’s past this season. They keep teasing that it was darker than one might expect of Robin Hood and I’m beyond curious about that. Give me Robin Hood backstory this year! :)
    The Anna and Elsa inspired Regina and Emma scene was beautifully done too, though. The dwarfs are always great comic relief and I liked the last Frozen scene with Elsa and Kristoff. Never give up on the people you love. Perfect message.

9. Becky says:

I was waiting for the Knave to show up! :)

• Lisa-Anne says:

I read somewhere that he will be slowly introduced in the first half of the season and will be more focused on in the second half and that he wont appear until a few episodes in! I cant remember where I read it though all I remember is that it was an interview with the creators Adam and Edward on a different site!!

10. Kubrick says:

I was surprised I enjoyed it better than I thought. Still think the Frozen thing is a bit douchie but I know I’ll be tuning in next week.

11. dancmh says:

The longer Hook wears that stupid outfit the worse it gets.

12. Joe says:

WHAT IS IN THE BOTTLE!?!?

13. Tammy says:

ratings grab, ratings grab, ratings grab…… hate it if I thought that they put the frozen characters in for any other reason, I would like it. For me the show has gone off the deep end.

• Boiler says:

Don’t suppose anyone cares if you turn it off. Of course it is a ratings grab but don’t watch or give it a chance. Personally I like it

• That’s sort of the point to network television – to grab ratings. What’s your next gripe?

• TinLV says:

I have to agree. I have loved this show in previous years, but live action Frozen, to me, is jumping the shark. I want to watch the characters I have come to know and love, not live action versions of cartoons. Give me Emma/Hook romance.. Emma/Regina rivalry…Belle/Rumple.. those are stories I’m interested in. They are getting too far away from what the show is about. I gave the show one chance to impress me with this storyline, but next week, I think I’ll find something else to watch and wait for next year… if there is a next year.

• Stormy says:

Isn’t the entire cast live-action versions of cartoons with one or two exceptions? Snow/Charming, Pinocchio/Geppetto, Tinkerbell/Peter Pan etc. are all cartoon characters.

• Magnhild says:

Except for Elsa, Emma and all the Frozen characters, Emma, Baelfire, Henry and say Dr Whale/Frankenstein, all the main and secondary characters are from tales (Grimm, Perrault, 1001 Nights etc).

• Stormy says:

I think you missed my point. TinLV was complaining that the new additions were from Disney animation films regardless of their true origins. My point was that most of the central OUAT characters were also previously done in animation.

• Magnhild says:

OK i’ve read your response to my response Stormy, lots of misunderstanding in this tread then. Because unless I’m wrong the first comment was about complaining that Frozen characters were simply characters from an animated movie (a recent one furthermore), not characters from more or less ancient stories, adapted or not by Disney Studios.
          Even though I haven’t seen Frozen and was disappointed that it wasn’t a movie about the Ice Queen Tales by Andersen, I’m open with OUAT. But, I get that people can be annoyed. I suppose that to some viewers, they introduced characters who are not legitimate to “steal” time for the fairy tale characters (eventually with a big OUAT twist) they like.
          Well Frozen has nothing to do with the Andersen story, but hey Reindeer, StoneTrolls, I’m all ears and eyes!! :-) It’s time Red Grandmother introduced kjÖttbullar in her menu!

• MLPR says:

Well if you think live action Frozen was jumping the shark, then your Belle and Rumple jumped two sharks with that ridiculous Beauty and the Beast dance. Those poor actors were probably laughing their “you know whats” off during filming. Otherwise, I liked the premiere. I think it will get much better as the season progresses as long as I don’t have to watch Sebastian sing “Under the Sea”.

14. Hodan says:

It was good introductory episode for the first half of the season.

15. rachelle says:

Ugh I’m so annoyed. I don’t want to endure Marian and Robin til the mid season finale. Poor Regina!

• Susannah says:

Poor Regina? She’s back to being evil again. Robin just forgave her for killing his beloved wife and mother of his child and instead I working towards being a better person, she reverts back to her old ways again. Regina and the Evil Queen are still one. Poor Sidney, he actually thinks Regina cares about him.

• Jess says:

Actually she didn’t revert to her old ways again. When she saw how she was in the past she realized she didn’t want to be evil again. The Marian of the past made her realize she still had family and people to care about now so that she didn’t have to be evil. So instead of killing Marian she decided to look for the author of the book. I’d say that is a big change from being evil.

• Jill singer says:

Didn’t “Pinnochio”write the book? Henry would know…

• Stormy says:

I don’t think he wrote it. I think TPTB authorized him to add some pages when the time was right. I’m guessing Gold or the fairies know more than has been revealed.

• Susannah says:

She locked Sidney in the mirror again, against his will. After keeping him locked away in a mental ward for years. I think thanks pretty evil. Poor guy worships her too.

• dthomas74 says:

But she told him it was only temporary. So, I am thinking he gets out of the mirror. However, the guy is bat-crazy and maybe more dangerous outside the mirror?

• Carrie says:

Regina was trying to be good and having her redemptive storyline arc but the whole time had Sydney locked in a padded cell? Sure she’s not the evil Queen anymore.

• Jake says:

Begs the question, once they all got their memories back, why didn’t whoever is running the hospital think to check on who is the padded cells?

• K says:

That really bugged. How are we supposed to just laugh that off with an “oopsie, she forgot about him”?

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Ummm yes she was still the evil queen after season 1, when Sidney was locked up. Is it Regina’s fault that Giancarlo Esposito left OUaT to star in Revolution for two seasons before it was canceled?

• Carrie says:

They could have written Sydney to be anywhere, back in the Enchanted Forest, in a mirror in Rumple’s shop or even hanging out in Versailles palace with all those mirrors. Instead they wrote him to be rotting away in a padded room, put there by Regina.
            I don’t think her redemptive arc is very successful if you keep prisoners locked away in padded cells with no hope of rescue, unless Regina needs to use them to ruin someone else’s life, then maybe they’ll get out if that cell!

• Zelda says:

Well since the whole town apparently forgot about him and no one bothered to check the asylum for who might still be down there after the curse broke even though Belle was living proof that people were kept there among them all the time? Yes, I’d say it was intended as a little comic relief and we’re meant to overlook the fact that it’s rather sad that no one in town remembered him or went looking for him after the curse broke.

• I know that most of us have come to like Regina and hope for the best for her, but I think it’s really important to look at this from Marian’s point of view, too. Here she is, a good person in love with her husband and raising their child with him, and then all of a sudden she’s thrown into an alternate future where she’s been dead for years and her hubby is in love with another woman!! To her, it’s just been a couple of days since she and Robin were together; she awoke in his bed the morning before she got thrown into the Evil Queen’s dungeon, and here it is only a couple of DAYS later, for her! So if Robin were to stay with Regina, it would really really suck and be unfair to her. Also, there is a little child involved, and since I’m a mother myself, I consider Robin and Marian’s little boy in the equation as well, much more than I would if I was not yet a Mom. :-)

• Katherine215 says:

I don’t see why being a mother matters. I think it’s common decency to consider the feelings of a child when a couple might break up. That said, I also don’t think two people should stay together just *because* they have a child, especially if they are unhappy together or want to be with other people.

• Zelda says:

Agree with you about Marian’s perspective. However, I don’t think it will work out between her and Robin if it’s mainly Roland keeping them together. They can be wonderful parents to him and make him feel loved and safe and part of a family even if they’re no longer married and one of them or both find love with new partners too. In the end this might be better for a kid than the parents saying together for his sake although they’re no longer happy in their relationship.

• dthomas74 says:

I think their demise with be the fact that Robin and Regina will end up working together throughout the season to combat what chaos comes to Storybrooke and Marion will not be able to handle them together. Robin has said that this new reality is who he has become. Should be interesting. Plus Rowan got attached to Regina, so there is that dynamic to consider.

• Itsnoteasybeingqueen... says:

And yet–She’s awfully vanilla…

16. Remy says:

I hate this Frozen storyline. Its taking too much time away from the regular characters. The costumes were terrible too. I feel like the longtime viewers are being alienated. Am I alone?

• Tony says:

It’s only one episode……

• abz says:

You hate it and its only been a single episode? Geez its a premiere. They need to establish why Elsa is there and set the stage for what the first half of the season will be about (which we now know is about finding Anna). I thought it was a really good introduction of what the first half of the season would be about and expected it to be Frozen-heavy, but I think they found a great balance and actually devoted time to the regular characters.
      I don’t feel alienated. I’m excited. Can’t wait for The Knave to come as well as to find out who Elizabeth Mitchell is playing and what’s the deal with the sorcerer’s hat. Oh and more Emma backstory!!

• Butters says:

I am in somewhat agreement. I thought the Regina and Rumple potential story lines were more interesting than the Frozen one. I don’t see how it will move the story. Neverland and Oz moved the overall story line. I am not sure how this one will do it.

• Lizzie says:

What if course it’s movie the storyline. There is a reason why the Frozen parents when to the enchanted forest first. My thoughts is that it has to do with rumple or why else would he have Elsa. But I’m thinking the author has something to do with the Frozen cast & that hat. And we haven’t introduced Elizabeth Mitchell which is super top secret. I’m an original viewer and I’m not being alienated.

• Melanie says:

I’m kind if leaning towards that feeling about Frozen and the hat. Whoever owns that house could be connected to the hat, the book, and why Elsa is in Storybrooke or it could be a combination of those ideas. This possibly is where Elizabeth Mitchell’s role comes in and maybe the Knave’s, who knows. That’s my guess.

• TinLV says:

Nope.. you aren’t alone..

• Jennifer says:

I wasn’t crazy about the movie so I really don’t expect much from this storyline. I did enjoy the “inbetween” parts. The Beauty and the Beast dance scene, well let’s just say Mr. Gold can make me cry. I still don’t get what Hook (or any guy) sees in Emma. I loved Regina and Robin together so I will hold judgment, for now on this whole Regina/Robin/Marian thing.

17. Lia says:

I really really missed Once. For now, I’m too happy to see this episode’s flaws, hehehe.

18. Ana says:

Can’t believe once is finally back. Still processing. I’ll need to rewatch :)
    My focus is all on our regulars – as fun as the frozen additions are.
    It was a bit chaotic but I can say I’m very glad Regina decided to do the right thing and save Marian.
    Favorite moment: Killian confronting Emma about avoiding him and Emma not running away :) At least not the way she used to. I love how Killian just knows that Emma is holding back something from him and her avoiding him isn’t just Regina related. She really is an open book to him…can’t wait for more from those two.

• ninergrl6 says:

That was my favorite moment too. He gets her. I’m glad he called her out on avoiding him, and I’m glad they didn’t regress to their pre-time travel relationship.

19. Gimmy says:

Regina was kinda crazy/pathetic this episode, but other than that I loved it! Elsa is amazing

20. Maddy says:

The Frozen storyline was a big waste of time. Just because ABC is owned by Disney, does not mean they need to include every Disney character on Once.

21. rachelle says:

Also, someone help! I thought August wrote the fairytale book? Is that true? I can’t remember exact details and since the recap didn’t mention him, I’m beginning to second guess.

• abz says:

No, if I remember correctly, August only stole the book so that he could add his story to it so Henry would read it and figure out who he was and push the “Emma believing” storyline forward.

22. abz says:

I’m really intrigued by the “find the author of the book” storyline. Should be fun.
    I’ve never had the opportunity to watch Fantasia before so I don’t know exactly what it’s about, but I recognized the hat that Rumple was with as probably Mickey’s hat from it and when I see a sorcerer’s hat, I thought maybe there’s a book as well that’s connected to it(perhaps the storybook since as Regina said, it does have some magical properties). Could the author be connected to that story?

• I’m guessing it’s Yen Sid who wrote the book. Yen Sid was the name of the sorcerer in “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” who originally owned the hat Mickey is famous for wearing. And, of course Yen Sid spelled backwards is _ _ _ _ _ _.
      It’d make perfect sense if Yen Sid was the author of all the fairy tales just as Disney was the producer of the stories.

23. Name That Tune says:

21 minutes of the episode related to Frozen or Emma and Hook chasing the Frozen snowman.
    7:30 minutes of Regina
    6:30 minutes of Rumple, with a sprinkling of Belle
    About 3 minutes of Emma and Hook chasing the Frozen snowman, with a smattering of Charming, Hood, Grumpy and Marian thrown in for good measure.
    For the CS shippers, 1:10 minutes of Emma teasing Hook with a kiss

Not a Frozen fan. Overall the episode was disappointing, and there’s not enough content there to make me feel compelled to watch more.

I give it a D.

• Danyelle says:

The Tea Leoni show is supposed to be pretty good, let us know. Sorry we won’t see you here any more.

• Name That Tune says:

The real entertainment comes from Sunday night football, Family Guy, The Simpsons and The Witches of East End.

Won’t be missing you either

• Boiler says:

You really timed this stuff. How you could you even try to enjoy the show?? And you are fed up after one episode? Oh well

• Name That Tune says:

Ongoing debate on another site about how much time would be devoted to Frozen vs the main characters. Based on the extended preview, I predicted about 14 minutes of the 42 would feature Once main characters. There’s some overlap with Regina sharing screen time with Emma. It came in at just under 16 minutes.

Really the Frozen stuff is just filler. We had lots of shots of Elsa looking afraid while the Snowman (or troll) was running around Storybrook.

It wa boring.

• gloria says:

A …but it needs more emma and hook so B-

24. Robert says:

Ok, I am hooked on the Mist Haven mystery. I wonder if the Ice Queen is the sister to Anna and Elsa’s mother?

25. Sarah B. says:

I’m looking forward to the Frozen storyline. I don’t like Hook and Emma as a couple or Rumple and Belle so Elsa is the only thing I’m excited for now. I also am interested in who wrote the fairy tale book but I had kinda forgotten about that anyway.

26. Matt says:

Great episode just needed more Henry!

27. James D says:

good start to the season. liked the Frozen characters liked Regina’s arc. the beauty and the beast song made we tear up a little, don’t know why but ever since i was a we wipersnapper everytime i watched the disney version that song made me tear up, lame I know. What was with the hat. perhaps Merlin is afoot?.

28. Tiffany says:

Love it A+. Georgia and Elizabeth were great as Anna and Elsa. Elizabeth sounds like Kristen Bell talking.

29. Sarah says:

Anyone else thinking that Regina’s search for the “writer of the stories”, in my mind Hans Christian Andersen, may turn out to be Hans from Frozen, as he is supposed to make an appearance at some point?

30. Babybop says:

Really not a Frozen fan, but I am a Scott Michael Foster fan… so that balances out. Looking forward to more badass Regina and the Beauty and the Beast moment was beautiful.

31. Spencer says:

I may be in the minority here but this episode was the breaking point for me. I’ve officially taken OUAT off the recording list.

32. laurelnev says:

LOVE how Elsa can just freeze a lock to open it. :)

I LOVE OUAT still, but thought this was kind of a weak opener. (Pandering to the Disney crowd at all with that dance?) Still beats that Neverland mess by a mile though. :) Hoping this Frozen storylines to a big payoff in terms of character, b/c it took far too much of the season opener for me. More Rumple, Emma, and Regina, the core characters of this show!

33. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Yen Sid could be Regina’s new foil, the man who cursed Elsa with ice powers, and the writer of Once Upon a Time (the book)

34. ninergrl6 says:

Loved all of the Frozen stuff. Loved the Hook/Emma scene at the end (as if the writers were telling us fans to “be patient” too). I’m over the Regina-as-victim-so-she-must-get-revenge thing. Feels just like season 1. I’ve never been into Rumple/Belle but the dance scene was cute & I’m curious about this sorcerer’s hat (and house).

35. DarkDefender says:

I am totally on board, cause I love the idea of OUAT and will watch it as long as it is on the air, but I’m not a fan of the Frozen stuff so far. I do not like the barn guy Anna was going to marry.. Is the reindeer supposed to be a character? I am intrigued about the book mystery and how the sorcerer’s hat will come into play…and I will patiently wait for the Knave to show up.
    Am I missing something or is Emma just hesitant with Hook because she hasn’t told Henry yet?
    Also, the CGI characters were well done (the village, not so much).. And I LOVED the throwback Beauty and the Beast dance.. Yellow dress and all.

36. murley says:

So, yes, the sorcerer with that hat is Yen Sid, which is Disney backwards, but… Rearrange the letters a little and it also spells Sidney. As in the magic mirror. Just saying.

37. Gail says:

I don’t see how you can describe Marian as having her happy ending if Robin really wants to be with Regina but stays with Marian because of his code and vow. It seems similar to Charming and Snow in Season 1 where they were wanted to be together but couldn’t be because David thought he was married. It doesn’t seem like they are going to have Robin and Regina have an affair with Regina out to find the book’s author but who knows. I hope the book’s author is someone we already know.Maybe it will be the Knave or an adult Henry who somehow sent the book to his past self.

38. Kath says:

Am I the only person that wishes Henry would just go away? LOL. He’s pointless.

• Sorry, but I totally disagree. Henry is the center of everything! He’s the one who brought Emma to Storybrook in the first place, to break the curse. Otherwise, everyone would just be stuck forever in the curse, frozen in time. How boring is that? AND, Henry is the character who brings everyone else together! Henry is related to Emma, Snow and Charming by blood, Regina through adoption, and is Mr. Gold’s grandson through Bae. Without him, the other characters would have no reason to work together. Henry stays forever. :-)

• Katherine215 says:

He brought her to Storybrooke…in season 1. Yes, he’s related to everyone, but I think they’ve all established relationships with each other, separate of Henry, that they don’t need to include him much. He’s completely pointless.

• gloria says:

IKR he ANNOYS ME SO MUCH GRRRR

39. GeoDiva says:

I do like the idea of looking for the original author.

40. Ashbash says:

Regina wants to find the author of the storybook and Rumplestilkin found the Mickey Mouse fantasia hat…please tell me that Mickey Mouse will turn out to be the author of the book and owner of that house haha

41. David4 says:

I like the fact the “bad gal” this half season isn’t really evil, she just wants her sister and is scared. It’s a nice change.

42. Pat says:

I do not know anything about the Frozen story, so I will continue to watch and see where this is going. Now, my only concern with Regina wanting to find the author of the Fairytale Book and having them rewrite the ending to give her a happy one, well will that not alter the lives of everyone in Storybrooke? Also, by doing this wouldn’t her one true love be the fellow who her mother killed and not Robin? This should be interesting to see what is really going to happen, to everyone’s lives, especially her son Henry who may end up not existing but yet the memory of him may still be existing in her head.

43. Magnhild says:

Great season opening. Lots of magic displayed :-D

Still don’t get why the effect Belle’s love has on The Dark One’s abilities (that has been very clearly established in Season 1) seems gone still hasn’t been addressed in the show (or in your cool interviews Mr Matt)… even now that they married each other…???

44. I feel that when Marian refused to trust Regina, she started falling into her old Evil Queen ways which disappointed me.

45. Michele says:

Did they say what Grumpy and Sleepy were bringing back in the van? I thought they said something about “her”.

46. Jake says:

Generally liked it, but just wish Emma would get some weapon other than that pistol, because every time she tries to use it, it gets knocked from her hand, or it’s ineffective. For this new storyline she should probably strap on a flame thrower.

47. ANNA says:

Regina has come too far to lose her stuff over a guy she barely knows. She finally has a chance to co-parent Henry and she’s running around murderous over Robin Hood! Get it together girl. Love all of the core characters, especially Hook & Emma, not digging the frozen thing and would like to see more Charmings! But I understand that Snow is probably working less because of their new baby! Congratulations!

48. WTActualF says:

Gotta be honest, I was bored watching that episode. I am just not at all into the Frozen storyline.

49. Amy says:

I really enjoyed it…thought they did a great job including Frozen but I felt like ‘my favorites’ weren’t on screen very much but I guess that could also be because none of them were in any flashbacks…I feel like they are embarking on a lot of interesting arcs and that some of them will ‘tie’ together..(read Yen SId’s hat and the writer) so I’m hoping they all continue to balance…I am a little worried about Regina and the ‘villains’ getting their happy endings since when they were all considered villains their happy endings weren’t what they are now…all and all I’m just happy to have my favorite show back…and I look froward to next week