How to Get Away With Murder Premiere Recap: Did ABC's New Shondaland Drama Slay You?

ALFIE ENOCH

There’s nothing quite like a nighttime autumn bonfire with a group of close friends. Sharing stories, sipping vino, maybe even toasting some marshmallows.

Of course, in the pilot for ABC’s crazy-entertaining new drama How to Get Away With Murder, it’s not so much about the crackle and glow of the flames as it is the kindling being used to fuel ’em.

RELATED Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 of Your Returning Favorites

“Oh, don’t mind us. We’re just four law-school buddies out in the middle of the woods with some lighter fluid, a box of matches, a rolled-up rug and the dead body of our professor’s spouse. Ashes to ashes, like the old saying goes… Nothing to see here!”

Yep, in executive producer Shonda Rhimes’ latest series (created by “angry black woman” Peter NowalkI kid! I kid!), everybody’s a suspect — if not for the flash-forward murder that kicks off the proceedings (or the other body that winds up in a water tank atop a sorority house), then for some other barely concealed sin: Desktop adultery, possibly felonious introduction of tainted evidence, super-sneaky sexytimes to score said tainted evidence, crime-scene Clorox-ing, even the bastardization of beloved Christmas carols into murder jingles.

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy Twist: [Spoiler] Recast!

In other words, WTGAWM — Rated W…for WHAT?! Whoa! — is the most delicious thing to come along since the cronut (but with only one-third to one-half the calories, dependent on how much red wine you guzzled during Scandal.)

Now, I know this headline promised you a recap — but that’s pretty much an impossibility, considering the labyrinthine nature of the story. So, instead of a recitation of the facts — since you know you all watched anyway — let me try to sum up the key plot points, and then delve into the 27 or so conspiracy theories knocking around in my head. Sound good? Then gather ’round the fire!

THE SETUP | Philadelphia’s most feared (and yet most worshiped) law professor Annalise Keating (Viola Davis, owning every moment of every scene like she paid in cash) builds her classroom lessons around real murder cases — past and present — and dangles employment as a prize for the five young’uns who give her the most help on her current case. Which is how we’re introduced to the aforementioned bonfire quartet:

* Wes — fresh off the Middleton Law School waitlist, slumming it in a cheap apartment (without so much as sheets for his mattress!), but willing to let his mind wander way outside the box (and his entire body wander through doors that were closed for a damn reason). He’s neighbors with a sketchy bartender chick who gets into screaming fights with Football Star Whose Girlfriend Went Missing (more on her in a sec).

* Michaela — type A chick with dreams of being Annelise 2.0. She immediately impresses her professor by meticulously scanning a witness’ Facebook photos, observing her eyeglasses, then impersonating an insurance claims worker to unearth the damning intel that the woman is color blind. High-strung personality will likely make her a poor fit for prison, so let’s hope all her DNA on that corpse goes up in flames, yes?

* Connor — gay (or at least conveniently sexually fluid) and mega-ambitious, he’s the one Annelise warns the class that they should fear (and try to destroy); seduces an IT guy to score witness-obliterating emails related to the case of the week, then (after getting what he needs) goes ahead and plugs in his power cord (if you catch my drift) just for the fun of it.

* Laurel — timid, wounded, slightly enigmatic, she’s the one who can silently slip into a bathroom stall and spy a tender moment between a mistress murder suspect and the wife who allegedly hates her. Possible daddy issues, based on her attraction/repulsion concerning Frank, Annelise’s bearded right hand.

* Asher — not part of our central quartet of possible killers, a little bro-douche-y, a little entitled, but maybe that’s just a false first impression; he’s the one who remains unsketched at the moment.

TOM VERICA, VIOLA DAVISTHE WEEK’S BIG CASE | Yes, all of our MVP students pitch in, but when the prosecution introduces surveillance footage of the aforementioned mistress purchasing aspirin (to which the now brain-dead victim was allergic), it’s up to Annalise to singlehandedly enact her trusty three-step defense plan of 1. Discredit the witness, 2. Introduce a new suspect, and 3. Bury the evidence with so much information that the jury is filled with nothing but doubt.

Still, if there was any doubt that Annalise will do anything to win, it’s erased when she calls her unspeakably hot, married detective lover to the stand and twists his arm to admit he’s aware of instances where cops tampered with video evidence — and that he wasn’t around the night the damning footage came into police hands because, well, ahem, he was “with a friend” — and not his cancer-stricken wife. This woman is ruthless! (I think I love her.) (Also, on a scale of gasp to hoot & holler, how did you react when Wes walked in on Det. Nate praying at Annalise’s altar, so to speak.)

THE DEAD GUY IN THE WOODS |
The entire episode treats us to flash-forwards of Wes, Michaela, Connor and Laurel — three months after their first class — wrapping up a dead body at Annalise’s office, squabbling about the best way to handle it, and ultimately deciding (via coin toss) to transport it to the woods and burn it on homecoming night — when bonfires abound and it won’t seem suspicious. (This is set in the city of Philadelphia, though, so wouldn’t any bonfire in the woods seem suspicious? Just asking. Back to a total suspension of disbelief.)

Oh, and yes, as I hinted before, the corpse in question just so happens to be that of Annalise’s husband Sam (the foxy Tom Verica). More on him and his suspicious behavior in a moment, too. But was his death like something out of my favorite musical number in Chicago? Did he have it comin’? And was it really our four law students who ought to be doing the cell-block tango, or did they just somehow get stuck with cleaning up somebody else’s mess? Time (and Shonda) will tell.

THE DEAD GIRL IN THE WATER TANK | Finally, the pilot also follows the case of a missing coed — Lila Stangard — and while, yes, her boyfriend and bartender girl look like they might be involved, what do we make of the way Sam (who happened to be her professor) catches the news on TV looking… terrified? devastated? guilty? When Annalise enters the room and sees him, her parting shot, “I bet the boyfriend did it” sends a chill right through the room. Is she talking about the football star or does she suspect the man sitting next to her on the bed had his own extramarital situation going on, and that he resorted to murder to make it go away?

WHO’S ZOOMIN’ WHO? (TAKE ANOTHER LOOK, AND TELL ME BABE) | OK, so feel free to add to this list, but here’s my diagram of relationships/possible relationships/flirtations, etc.

Annalise-Sam: married
Annalise-Nate: lovers
Annalise-Wes: did you see how she put her hands on his chest when getting teary about her marital problems and trying to have a baby with Sam (and trying to convince Wes to stay silent)? And how did Viola Davis manage to be scared, emotionally broken and wicked seductive all in one scene?
Wes-Bartender Chick: Flirting — with future alcohol consumption!
Bartender Chick-Football Dude: Arguing/Passionate
Football Dude-Lila: Dating (up ’til her death, anyhow)
Lila-Sam: Possibly making whoopee during office hours?
Sam-Bonnie: We all saw how Annalise’s left-hand woman looked at Annalise’s hubby all covetous-like, yes?
Frank-Laurel: Three months in, she’s got his shirtless pic on her cellphone and is fielding middle-of-the-night calls
Connor-IT Guy: That was hot/nasty. They should see each other again before midseason, yes?

That’s a lot of connectivity — and we’re only an hour into Season 1. There’s a LOT to think about. So I’m just going to pass the mic to you.

What did you think of the How to Get Away With Murder premiere? Who actually used the “immunity idol” to bludgeon Sam — and why? Will Wes wind up as teacher’s “pet”? (Heh.) And here’s my first soon-to-be-debunked theory: Is it possible Bonnie is the one behind both Liza and Sam’s demise?

Grade the episode in our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Bryce says:

I absolutely loved it! There’s a lot of great stuff going on and I love the variety of the cast. Shondaland Thursday was a HUGE success in my book!

2. Bryce says:

Also I couldn’t believe that the guard from OITNB was that student. I knew he looked familiar, but kudos to him for playing the two age differences well.

• LemonLime says:

OMG, that’s right!!!!!! I KNEW he looked familiar!!

• LemonLime says:

Seriously, Ms. Viola Davis #FTW. What a woman. You hate to love her or love to hate her, but she’s a force to be reckoned with. Ooooh, Shonda Rhimes, you go girl.

• Angela says:

I loved watching her in the classroom, taking command of the students and the project as she did, and yet at the same time I kept thinking, “Damn, I am SO glad I never had her as a teacher.” The way she reprimanded some of the students actually sent a slight chill through me. She does not mess around. You have to be on top of your game to even begin to keep up with her.

• Eva says:

Might be one of his clones ;)

• Valerie T says:

Great catch! I totally missed that. I was so engrossed in the show.

• Jackie says:

I don’t think there was an age difference between his character on OITNB and this show. Law students are of all ages.

3. Cobra says:

Seriously, how can ANYONE say the show was an “F”? EASILY the best new show of the season.

4. David4 says:

That was amazing, has a very ‘Damages’ feel (with the flashes to the future) and I just loved it. SO much better than Scandal and Bones.

5. MattArmando says:

Intricate, layered, complex, and most of all—very different from Greys and Scandal—and with Viola Davis to boot. This was pure awesome.

6. Tran says:

I give HTGAWM an A+. In my opinion, the best NEW show of the season. Shonda Rhimes does it again and Viola Davis gives an Emmy worthy performance.

7. Richard says:

Loved the show. ABC need to do a full season pick up tonight.

8. Sam says:

wildly entertaining! I can’t wait for more!

9. Cheyenne says:

Got me hooked ten minutes in. Davis is unbelievable.

10. tahina45 says:

Murderouswonderful!

11. Sean says:

Fantastic. My jaw dropped when I saw the ending.

• tp says:

RIGHT?! I couldn’t believe it when I saw that husband!!

• CMarie says:

I loved it UNTIL it was the husband. I mean, sorry, lawyer brain here, but don’t they think someone will notice he’s missing? He’s a professor. He is not some sketchball who would have vanished into the night. I can’t wait to see how this all plays out though. And Viola is AMAZING.

12. Shay says:

The show was AWESOME! Did it give anyone else a distinct Damages vibe? Annalise had a lot of Patty Hewes in her.

• abz says:

OMG it really does have a Damages vibe to it. Although I don’t know if anyone can match Patty Hewes’ level of crazy. Loving this show already.

• chloe says:

Nope, not at all. I was immediately taken with Patty Hewes and Damages in general. Couldn’t get into Viola’s character or the show at all. I’ll give it another shot–maybe two more episodes.

13. Kait says:

Amazing! Was confused by the jumping around at first but I got used to it surprisingly quick. And was not expecting the body to be the husband, totally thought it was gonna be douche-bro (like probably everyone else watching).

• Cobra says:

Yeah, that’s who I was suspecting as well.

• CKK says:

I thought they were going to try to be edgy (and make me hate the show) and make Viola Davis’ character be the one killed.

• Skittles&Bits says:

Same here. I was so sure it would be her b/c I figured it’d be a cool ironic twist if her students got away with murdering her. But alas, it’s her husband. I get the feeling she got the students to kill him for her. It seems to me like the best way to get away with murder is to have someone else do the crime. The “Aspirin Killer” case, to me, felt like the wife got the mistress to off her husband (insurance or control of the company perhaps?) and to parallel this, maybe Annalise got her students to off her husband? I’m probably way off but the show raises some interesting questions for me. Looking forward to more.

• Kait says:

It’s possible she put them up to it (talk about extra credit lol), odds are they figured him out being involved with the murdered girl and he got violent but who knows. Whatever happened she’s gonna question why her probably super expensive rug went missing. And how convenient that Wes lives next to the girl that’s maybe involved with the dead girl’s all-star boyfriend. Wondering how that all fits in to his apartment’s previous owner being a sex freak (my money’s on Frank being the former owner)

• Sara says:

I was thinking that maybe that murdered girl lived there before and was the “sex freak” and that’s how the neighbor girl knows the boyfriend? Maybe? I mean, yeah they said the previous occupant was a law student and Viola Davis’ hubby said the girl was his student, but he also said that he occasionally works at the firm…soooo, who knows? I’m probably totally wrong, hahaha!

• Angela says:

I thought she’d gotten her students to do her dirty work, too, yeah. And I’m more than willing to go with the wife and mistress being in cahoots to try and kill that guy with aspirin, too. Most wives and mistresses don’t wind up THAT chummy, at least, not unless the mistress honestly didn’t know the guy was married and the wife finds out the mistress didn’t know that. Either that, or, as in this case, they’re plotting together for their own personal gain of some sort (and now I’m thinking that wife and that mistress will each want to stay wary of the other, ’cause there’s a good amount of potential for backstabbing there when push comes to shove).
          As for the ending, with Annalise and Sam watching the story about that murdered girl…the way she looked at her husband, I read that as implying that maybe the two of them were in on that murder together, and then Annalise killed her husband to help keep him from possibly ever spilling the beans about her involvement in the murder someday down the line.
          Whatever happened…yeah. I’m very intrigued to see where this goes next.

• Kait says:

I thought for a minute that she was going to be the body, but then I realized there’s no way they’re going to do that and have it last past season 1, unless they came up with a mix of 24 and HIMYM’s last season that I wish to forget about from the second I heard of it and…I’ll stop myself from ranting about it

• Kait says:

In case no one read my other long reply, but I’m betting Frank is the former owner of Wes’ apartment with the nail and bite marks

• redjane12 says:

Interesting possibility… Or one of his mistresses… If nothing else, this show is fertile ground for wild conspiracy theories and twists….

14. StephonJS says:

Amazing Start!

15. Kourt says:

I really like this show. Really captivating and compelling. The story is really interesting. Can’t wait to see more episodes

16. Jennifer says:

I thought it ws campy and not very good. Viola Davis is the only good thing about it.

17. Kourt says:

Awesome show.

18. Cobra says:

Prediction: it will be the first show of the season to get a full season pick-up.

19. rachelle says:

I’m super intrigued! I will definitely keep watching. And Annalise’s boyfriend is the love of my life! *fans self* I love that actor. He followed me from Dexter to Sons of Anarchy to HTGAWM. I hope to see more of him!

20. Jennifer says:

OK, so, the bartender girl and the missing girl — are they the same person?

21. CKK says:

So Viola Davis is going to get nominated for an Emmy (every scene of hers was pure magic) and this show is being picked up for a second season. My only gripe is that while the other characters were great also, I need more Viola Davis on my screen. Hopefully, her role increases a bit more throughout the season. Idk if I like the fact that Wes is viewpoint character, but maybe he’s acting like Quinn did in the Scandal premiere/first season. Inb4 he goes nuts in season 2 and ruins everything.

22. Atlgal2010 says:

Just when I thought this show couldn’t be better, Slezak is doing recaps? Yassssss…. I am here for this every Thursday!

• MiaB says:

OMG, the recap was fab! Connor plugged on his power cord lol. Fantastic

• abz says:

I know! I was ready to skip the recap and head straight to the discussion in the comments section when I saw Slezak was doing the review. I just kept laughing while I was reading. Loved the Chicago reference and the breakdown of all the character connections at the end.
      And LOL the “power cord” line killed me!!

23. Antwon says:

Wow! What a good pilot. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plots/acting/characters were interesting and held my attention the entire hour. But man oh man…Viola Davis was on fire! She commanded each and every scene she was in and I was loving it. I def gave it an “A” and will make it appointment television.

24. Eliza says:

I’m into it. As someone who went to Law School it was definitely giving me some flashbacks to a time not too long ago for me! First year was beyond stressful.

I like the cast (Viola Davis is flawless) and I’m very intrigued as to what the heck happens next.

• dan says:

As someone who went to law school (like I did), you know that the classroom scenes have nothing to do with reality. As someone who practiced criminal law, I know that the courtroom scenes have nothing to do with reality. However, I enjoyed the show and will be back (sometimes its OK to suspend reality for the sake of entertainment, if it is done well). I thought the characters were well defined (except for the frat guy played by the actor from OITNB). I just hope this doesn’t become a “shocking case of the week” type show that gets solved at the end of each episode.

25. Greg says:

I heard ABC ordered 13 episodes of this. Correct me on that if I am wrong. If right, I hope ABC sticks with that even if the ratings are fantastic. I bet the writers have a very clear and concise plan for the show and if ABC becomes greedy and expands the episode order, it could get messy. Just keep it at 13, give us a nice finish to what we saw tonight and then explore something new in season two. Don’t be overly greedy ABC at the cost of quality. PLEASE.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Last I heard, the season will be 15 episodes max.

• Greg says:

Thanks for the clarification. I hope it stays that way. Heck, even if I wake up tomorrow and log on here and find the show did a 4.0 in the demo, let’s keep the show at what was ordered. :)

• Ram510 says:

But isn’t the name of the game to reach syndication? I can remember when they said they wanted to keep Scandal at 13 episodes at the beginning of season 2 (that didn’t last). So is it possible for more?

• Brandy says:

Viola Davis dosent want or is too busy to do more than 16 episodes a season just Kevin Bacon on The Following.Not very show makes it to syndication,CW kept The 100 less than a full season in season two despite it doing solid( but not great-& Carrie Diaries at 13 episodes for season two cause Pedowitz said a couple years ago he wanted to try cable length seasons.Sleepy Hollow also didn’t get a full season for season two despite being a hit last season.

• Ray says:

The futon critic and other sites are reporting only 13 episodes.

26. I hated it. It’s hard to come back to a show where you don’t find anything redeemable in any of the characters. Definitely won’t be coming back next week.

• LJ says:

I agree. I’m kind of surprised that so many people liked it so much. I love Scandal but didn’t like this one.

• Sheila says:

I’ll give the second episode a try. Lately pilots have been the worst episode, so I’m trying to stick it out a bit longer. But I wasn’t feeling this one.

• Eve says:

It wasn’t my favorite either, I’m surprised people are raving about it. It was confusing and jumped around way too much and was just off somehow for me.

• jenna says:

i agree, the cast doesn’t seem to have much chemistry and although I like viola davis everyone else fell flat in comparison. I’m surprised so many people were surprised the husband was killed at the end, I’m pretty sure I remember reading that viola davis’s character was going to be accused of murder during the premise. Overall I found the pilot to be pretty predictable but pilot’s tend to be one of my least favourite episodes in a series so i’ll probably give it a couple more episodes to see if it picks up

• abz says:

It’s never good to judge a show entirely based on its pilot. Some pull you in instantly while others need a few episodes to find their groove.

27. Amanda says:

Just wasn’t my thing. Won’t be watching another one.

28. Juan says:

That was amazing, I need to watch it again cause I just loved every moment of it.

29. Jodi says:

Love love love Viola Davis and cannot wait to see what the season brings! I was surprised though that tough Annalise showed her vulnerability to Wes so early on. I expected her to be more closed off.

Wes (who reminded me of C Thomas Howell’s character in Soul Man..) is interesting .. Wondering about the scratch marks above his bed though .. Thinking it might be part of a bigger picture and we’ll find out who the law student was who lived there before.

All hail Shonda Rimes.

30. chuckiechk says:

i loved it!!! then again i could watch 60 mins of ms davis saying “how to get away with murder” :)

31. Sara says:

I was not expecting to like it, and in fact had planned on skipping it, but watched on a whim. SO GLAD I DID. That was awesome.

32. Zed says:

This is my first Shonda Rhimes show, and I have to say I love it so far. Does it remind anyone of the James Woods show Shark that aired a few years ago on CBS?

33. Steven says:

Best new pilot so far this season.

34. I liked the series premiere and definitely want to see more. My theory right now is that Annalise killed her husband and got her students to clean up the mess. So far, I like the different characters and am very intrigued how all of this ties together.

35. Zenobia Jackson says:

I didn’t like…the hour dragged on…while I love Viola Davis…I didn’t like any of the supporting cast. I hope it gets better.

36. Kelly says:

Loved it. But is Michaela engaged to Connor?

• Alicia says:

I give it a solid B+. It needed more Liza Weil and that hot guy Frank. I’m not sure I’m completely loving all the students even though I love the guy who plays Asher because of OitNB, but overall good. I have to say the promo did a good job of explaining what the show was about and in a way I think it took away from it a bit, but those are my points.

I’m actually calling Bonnie as the killer of Sam and her leading the students to believe Keating did it. I think it would be an interesting plot twist to find out that Laurel’s phone that she rejected the call from Frank isn’t hers, but rather than Bonnie’s because I could see something happening between them or something did already happen.

• abz says:

Michaela is engaged to some random guy who wasn’t shown yet. Connor was the gay student who slept with the IT guy and got the intel.

37. Carl says:

I am not a fan of serial dramas. I prefer procedural dramas (shows that have an episodic format that does not require the viewer to have seen previous episodes), so I am disappointed. I guess I should have realized that, considering Shonda Rhimes’ other series. Guess I was hoping more for a “Murder She Wrote” type program. I will probably watch this till the storyline is resolved then quit. Love mysteries, but not serials. Serial dramas are just nighttime soap operas.

• JC says:

No, serial dramas are shows that require people to invest in them. I will always choose shows I can invest in over procedural cop shows which saturate tv now.

• abz says:

THIS!! Serial dramas, especially when done well, are some of the best shows to watch. You invest time in the characters and the story and its just way more fun.
        Most procedurals start off interesting, but get very boring over time because all the episodes become very similar/routine (see all the CSIs, Bones, and many more). That’s not to say that all procedurals are bad. The Good Wife is an excellent example of a show that has found the perfect balance between procedural and serial drama.

• Billy Ray says:

and when the shows do become boring , I dump them and move on. I do not want to invest my limited time in a tv show. no tv show is going to dictate my time. if i have a free hour or so, I’ll catch a show, NO WAY I am going to purposely arrange my schedule to watch a tv show.

38. Rook says:

I don’t think they killed him, just covered it up. And isn’t it a little to obvious that Annalise’s husband Sam killed Lila? There’s got to be something else there.

39. Eva says:

I remember waiting for Scandal and then being sooo thoroughly disappointed by the pilot, so I was trying to avoid overhype with this one – but no worries, it was so much better than Scandal pilot! Loved it! (although, on a scale of gasp to hoot & holler, my reaction to Annalise on a desk was an eyeroll; I get it, ‘shock’ value, let’s move on). I hoped that the husband would be the dead body in the carpet, because this way there is something more interesting in store for him than boring maritial/extramaritial/parental woes (I mean, his death can still be connected to those, but at least you know it ends in an interesting manner, so this changes things). Can’t wait for more!

40. Valerie T says:

LOVED it! Viola lit up the screen with her awesomeness. Wow! Can’t wait til next week.

41. ScorpionGlow says:

Hard not to get hooked on this one. It took me most of the episode to realize that “Wes” looks SO familiar because he was in most of the Harry Potter films. Viola Davis KILLS in this. What a powerhouse!

42. Jessica says:

Loved it. Definitely one of my favorite new shows of the season. Can’t wait to watch more of this awesome. Viola Davis is amazing.

43. Ron says:

Viola Davis was giving me all I needed in the world during that premier! Not that I expected anything different from her. She has been, still is, and will always be in a league of her own!

44. JRS831 says:

After all the hype of this series I expected a whole lot more. Shondaland may have produced it, but you can tell she isn’t the one writing it. I will probably watch next week, but if it doesn’t hook me I’m out.

45. Ann says:

I liked the show. You cannot tweet and watch, you miss too much. Think Annalise is manipulating Wes with that can’t get pregnant story and why she hired him. His ability to come up with an original idea after being last to present was impressive. He also proved he is willing to work hard evidenced by his showing up at her house in the middle of the night. All that said, she has to keep him close because he thinks he knows things. That’s more dangerous than what he knows

• Angela says:

Oh, yeah, there’s no question she’s manipulating Wes somehow. The way she was rubbing her hands all over him when talking to him at one point…most teachers do not do that to their students, and Wes is one of those “wet behind the ears” innocent types that I think Annalise is focusing her predatory eyes on for some reason or another.
      Hell, I think she’s manipulating that entire group of students. Now we just need to see if the students can beat the master at her own game.

46. KC says:

Wasn’t as good as I thought it would be. Probably won’t watch again.

47. Dennis says:

It was AMAZING!!!!!! My new TV obsession!

48. Stormy says:

I liked the cast, but the disjointed unraveling of the story was annoying to me. The body in the water tank and the body in the bonfire have been done before on Castle and Midsomer Murders respectively. For me watching the way the story jumps around is like watching a strobe light. I doubt I’ll watch it again.

49. donovan says:

The “Amazing” Viola Davis strikes again, can’t wait for the next episode and the one after that and the one after that and ;).

50. Delante says:

I didn’t even pay attention to who wrote this recap but as I was reading I was thinking it must be Slezak and sure nuff it was! I loved it! I totally got the same vibe when she put her hands on Wes’ chest. I am very interested in seeing what happens next and I think the 1st season (Cause we all know there will be another one!) is only like 15 episodes long I think. Which for this type of show works perfectly!