Grey's Anatomy Premiere Recap: Hi, Anxiety

Grey's Anatomy Recap Season 11 Premiere

They say that change is good. But in the Kevin McKidd-directed 11th season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy, Mer isn’t so sure – and can you blame her? Although Alex sweetly steps up to be her person in Cristina’s absence… well, Cristina, he just ain’t. (C’mon, no one is!) Plus, as upset as Mer is over the thought of Derek moving to D.C., she’s even more upset when he… Well, keep reading. I’ll tell you all about it.

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Get the Story Behind That Surprising Recast

SISTER ATTACKED | Following a flashback to her watching her mother give birth, Mer spends most of “I Must Have Lost It on the Wind” blowing off Maggie, who eventually quits gazing at her, awestruck, and tells Richard she’s decided against ever divulging their connection and adding any “random unwanted blood relatives to my life.” (Since he just might be her father, um, ouch.) As the episode concludes, Derek offers his wife what he thinks she’ll greet as good news: He’s resigned on the president to stay in Seattle with her and the kids. But she doesn’t react to this at all like it’s good news. She seems not just pissed but the kinda pissed that only tequila – the drink both she and Maggie favor – can cure.

BOARD MUCH? | When his girlfriend isn’t being kicked out of bed by Mer, Alex reveals to an outraged Miranda that Cristina left him her seat on the board. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that he’ll get it. On the contrary, the powers that be choose to let the doctors duke it out for the honor. (But duke it out in what? A stitch-off?)

VIDEO Grey’s Boss Shonda Rhimes Reflects on Show’s No. 1 Love Story

TRUE CONFESSIONS | Rather than let the appearance of maybe-daughter Maggie drive him to drink, Richard reveals his situation at an AA meeting… and, inadvertently, to Amelia at the same time. (At least he doesn’t name names!) Later, Jackson returns to Richard the engagement ring with which he was going to propose to Catherine and says that he would have liked having Webber in their family.

HELP… LESS | Certain that a Cristina-less Owen is “dying inside,” April urges Jackson to be his buddy. And his attempt to do so seems awkward… until she gets Richard to invite the suddenly single guy over to play Jenga and nudges Derek to ask him on a “date.”

THE BEST-LAID PLANS | After Callie has second, third and fourth thoughts, she finally tells Arizona that yes, they should use a surrogate to have another baby. Too bad in the meantime Arizona has decided to pursue a fellowship with Geena Davis’ Dr. Herman…

BIT PARTS | Thinking that Derek has one foot out the door, Ben elects to ditch him to stick with Amelia in surgery. Oh, and a gurney falls off the helipad onto a teenage couple having sex in the parking lot.

OK, your turn. What did you think of the season premiere? Geena Davis’ debut? Hit the comments!

1. JB says:

Dislike the new sister so far. Wanted Meredith to pull the “I’m your boss” card on her.

2. TW says:

Seriously, Derek turns down POTUS? Who does that?

3. Isaac John says:

Was not a fan of the heavy and awful use of green screen at the beginning.
    Loved the whole carousel thing reference to the season three premiere. Love the Maggie/Meredith dynamic. Gonna be fun to watch!

4. CU says:

Well I see the recapper didn’t change in the offseason. Pity.

5. Emmy says:

Needs more April and Jackson! They are a breath if fresh air!!

6. Scott says:

So why do you think Mer was upset at the end when Derek decided the turn down the job and stay with her and the kids in Seattle?

• Ash says:

I think she fears he will come to resent her from turning down his dream job because she knows she would have resented him if she had moved to DC.

• BetsyBoo says:

^^^^^This.

• DarkDefender says:

That and I never thought she really ever thought he was her knight in shiny whatever. He has pretty much always put her ahead of his own happiness. I hope any misgivings she has (unfounded fear he will resent her) disappear quickly. She’ll have enough drama dealing with the Ellis/Richard love child, so they need to get Mer/Der right. Like now.

• LC says:

I don’t think that her fears are all that unfounded. The unfortunate truth is that in a relationship, someone always has to give…Der’s given alot for Mer and I think he feels that maybe it’s his turn. This is something that Der really wants. He’s not wrong for wanting it, but Mer’s also not wrong for wanting what she wants. It’s a no win situation because one of them IS going to resent the other regardless of what decision is made. Mer will resent Der for choosing DC over his family, or Der will resent Mer for a perception that she forced him to give up his dream. The story here isn’t which decision will MerDer make. The story is how they will deal with the aftermath of whatever decision that is.

• Tia says:

This!! I don’t get why some were shocked and didn’t understand Mer’s reason of her reaction.. she’s afraid he’s gonna resent her, plus this is so coming back. This is most likely the beginning of their story for the season.

• Sara says:

I don’t like the new half sister. She’s annoying and wow, anger issues much. That scene with Richard? MEH.
        I like Amelia, and pretty sure they will pair her with Owen later in the season.
        Didn’t miss Cristina to be honest.
        So over Calzona.
        LOVE Mer/Alex they were always my favourite friendship.
        I totally get Mer’s reaction and it’s so on point, of course she’s afraid her husband is going to resent her, like her mother did.

• H.Houston says:

I completely agree with your thought here.

• EM says:

I have a feeling she knows he’s going to be resentful and moody and he’ll throw it in her face every time they argue.

7. Temmera says:

Love Meredith’s new sister already! Cannot wait until they start getting along!

• donovan says:

Me too. I know most of the characters act childish and have that it’s all about me attitude, but I was hoping they wouldn’t do that with this character, hopefully in the coming episodes they tone it down because it’s very annoying.

8. Rick Katze says:

Hopefully we see the vote of the Board next week. Will they compromise and add both to the Board (assuming they can add two slots.) Obviously, not compromising makes for a better story.

9. Holly says:

Meredith needs to take a chill pill. Seriously. Kicking Jo about of Alex’s bed in the middle of the night and jumping in it. A grown woman. Enough of this already along with the ‘person’ crap. Jo should have told her to eff off. And Maggie shouldn’t take anything from Mer. Other than that the episode was pretty good.

10. abz says:

Best parts of the episode were Mer/Alex’s heart-to-hearts. That scene where he asked her to drink (too much emotions :)). Alex is no substitute for Cristina, but he is the best second person Mer could ask for. Their friendship has been one of the highlights of the series and I’m looking forward to seeing that develop more.
    I’m liking Mer’s sister so far. However, the fighting was really ‘been there, done that with Lexie’ (and no one can replace Lexie), so I hope they move past it quick. I did like the tequila moment at the end.
    I’ve lost all interest in Calzona. Individually I think they could be interesting moving forward, but together, Shonda should just make them move on and just be co-parents. There’s no spark between them from what I see and even their “affection” for each other doesn’t come across as real or the way it used to.
    Hoping Amelia gets a storyline of her own and they explore more of why she’s staying in Seattle and I really hope they don’t pair her with Owen. I really am not in the mood to see that pairing or any Owen pairing for that matter.

11. tahimar says:

I liked it, it seems like it’s Africa for Calzona again..hope without consequence this time..Owen the new cough* Mark cough*.

12. JJM says:

I think Meredith was upset about Derek turning down the job because her mother resented her as it was for holding her back with her career as a surgeon. To feel she’s done the same with her husband must really hit Meredith hard.

Also, Alex deserves the seat. Bailey has pulled a lot of crap these past few seasons and her character is not what it used to be. Saying that, Cristina signed her shares over to Alex – all 15 million of them. Unless someone else on the board can buy those out for Bailey, he’s not going anywhere.

13. Babygate says:

Although I loved the writing and the music, the opening scenes with the bad wigs and awful CGIreally turned me off. And I really enjoy the Maggie sstoryline and it looks like its going to be explosive between these two, however, I really missed the characters. Grey’s keeps growing the cast and it gets to a point where there’s too much and yet nothing happening at all. I’m not looking forward to a season where all my faves just do cameos. That’s getting tiring. Geena Davis was barely there. Why even bother? And can someone explain to me why is it that every time Callie and Arizona are about to kiss the camera cuts away? Lastly, please, please, PLEASE, do not pair up Amelia and Owen. That would be the worst hook up since Izzie and George.

• abz says:

Agreed. I just want Shonda to go on like a firing spree and cut the entire cast in half. It’s just too big and feels like nothing happens. Barely see the characters that matter. Bailey, once a significant character on the show and a large presence, is now reduced to nothing. Honestly she just feels like an extra. Guest stars are pointless because they barely have any significant time devoted (e.g., remember Neve Campbell). I hope Shonda sticks to her plan of making the season more Meredith-centric..
      Definitely agree on them not doing an Amelia/Owen pairing. Ugh just the thought of them even considering it bums me out.

14. jacjones says:

It’s painful to see how far this show has fallen. The cast is so bloated and the writers haven’t had an original idea in years. It’s just sad.

15. Jan says:

It was not a flashback of Meredith watching her mother give birth. It was a flashback of Meredith watching her mother try to kill herself after Richard dumped her.

16. Grey says:

Uhhhh wait a minute? I thought the flashback in the first scene was about Meredith discovering Ellis in the kitchen with blood everywhere after slitting her wrists. Are we supposed to believe now that Ellis was giving birth at that time?

• Care says:

I agree. It was when Ellis slit her wrists, trying to get Richard’s attention. Remember the whole “she was a gifted surgeon” so she would have known how to cut an artery if she had wanted to die storyline from Meredith’s therapy sessions?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Turn on closed captioning. It denotes “[Baby cries]” and then a doctor asking, “Would you like to see her?”

• Jan says:

when a woman is giving birth she doesn’t bleed from her wrists and have bandaged wrists and Meredith was told she saved her mothers life. the flashback was when Ellis slit her wrists and Meredith called 911.

• HM says:

I think it was both. She was definitely giving birth there. You can hear the baby cry, like Matt says. I guess the baby was the driving reason behind why she was so upset that Richard dumped her?

• H.Houston says:

Actually I believe that she tried to kill herself instead of giving birth to the baby.

• Grey's Fan says:

I think Ellis knew she was in labour and in order to hide it from her five-year-old daughter she slit her wrists – it was established in Meredith’s therapy sessions that Ellis knew that slicing her wrists wouldn’t kill her. Ellis made Meredith promise not to call 9-1-1 and then slit her wrists. When she passed out from losing too much blood Meredith called for an ambulance.

Remember in Season 5 when Meredith’s therapist told her she wasn’t finished yet after she quit… Then Meredith found the collection of her mother’s journals… My guess is the Ellis/Richard secret baby story was originally going to play out then, but they changed their minds. (I also thought Jackson was going to be the sibling when he appeared in season six – remember his grandfather Harper Avery knew Ellis well.)

We’ve seen the Merry-Go-Round flashback several times now where Meredith is riding and Ellis/Richard are fighting, but always from Meredith’s five-year-old viewpoint. I’m waiting to see it from Richard’s viewpoint so we know what the adults were actually saying to each other.

It’s pretty easy to hide a pregnancy from a five year old.

• EM says:

When the nurse (?) asked that I assumed she was asking about Meredith initially. She said “No. No. Not now.” But then the baby crying…Her wrists were both wrapped so thought it was the attempted suicide. How is it possible for a baby to be born then and Richard not know about it when it was in SEA? It’s after when they leave for Boston where new sister says she grew up. Time line is a mess or rewriting of history shown.

17. Luli says:

I miss Cristina… I felt her absence. And I’m into this Mer/Alex friendship, they were the best parts of the episode aside from this week’s patients.

18. Pat says:

Right now, I can honestly say that I am not a fan of Maggie’s. It was so unprofessional of her to walk into that operating room and act the way she did and Owen should have spoke to her afterwards about that and of course he did not. I think Derrick should have explained in full detail to Meridith why he decided not to take the job in DC. Yes, he said that he did not want to leave the kids nor her but he should have told her about his day and what he saw from the little boy who lost his father and the father who thought he had lost his family but they were reconciled near the end of the show. Her reaction might have been different when she heard these stories which made him realize what was more important in his life was his family and not some job all the way across the country.

• Grey's Fan says:

Derek’s patient was the father who died after trying to reach for his son’s frisbee on the roof… MEREDITH’S patient was the hiker who was lost in the desert and thought his family had died, only to be reunited with them at the end.

Derek: If he goes to DC his kids will miss him and forget him.
      Meredith: If Derek leaves for a while the family will miss him, but they’ll be happily reunited in the end.

19. Lies says:

Am i the only who misses the big 5? mer, cristina, alex, izzie, george. I really believe that one of them needs to return. George is dead but i would love to see izzie back. Maybe she can come in like Mark did, just for a small job and then she stays at least for a little while. I just miss that old feeling with them together. I hope that we will see more of yang, just like with addison that she will come visit more. But this episode was a great one, loved alex and mer, and i am really curious about owen, he looks like a mess.

• Abby says:

Unless Izzie is recast it might be best to consider Izzie as dead, also, because I’m not sure that Shonda has any interest in working with Katherine Heigl again… Cristina will be back at some point to visit/series finale, but for good? Doubt that, at least for now. I’m wondering if Geena Davis’ character will become a love interest for Owen, but he needs a happy ever after (kids and dog etc) that he doesn’t shun like the last perfect woman he had, who wanted all the same things he did, but wasn’t Cristina.

20. KC says:

How can people grade this an “A”? It was just OK, but this show is showing it’s age.

21. LaLa says:

I thought this episode followed the Grey’s formula. Although I don’t think I can take a whole season of Mer being mad at everyone, just cause Cristina’s gone. I’m so glad Maggie got over her idol worship, because that was becoming annoying. While I want them to get along, I realize that Mer is not going to thaw until she’s forced to.
    Other things that caught my attention: I don’t’ know if I care for the implied relationship between Richard and Amelia. I appreciate everyone’s efforts on behalf of Owen. I think Miranda deserves more consideration for that board seat. She’s been the heart of the hospital from the very beginning. Do the rules say that another seat couldn’t be made available? Because I want Alex to get his due as well. And I hope to see more of Catherine this season, perhaps helping Richard work through his relationship with Maggie. I hope they (Richard and Catherine) are able to save their relationship.

22. Mollly says:

Yawn. This show used to be so good. Now it is just boring. Meridith would be the most annoying character on TV except Callie wins that slot.

23. CatInTheHat says:

I’m sorry but just how many long lost half sisters are going to turn up for Mer? I quit watching the show a few years ago so maybe I missed something where this happening not once but twice makes sense?

24. Last season Grey’s Anatomy without Christina seemed unfathomable, but after watching the first episode I’m actually still enjoying it. Still desperately miss Christina, though!

25. Abby says:

Maybe this is better suited to Ask As or Inside Line, but since Shonda’s shows seem to exist in a Shondaverse with the Greys/private practice crossovers, can we please be assured that if the POTUS ever makes an appearance on Grey’s because there’s just NO way (I hope) that Derek is done with all that, that the POTUS will be Fitz? Please say yes!

26. Theresa says:

There have been better episodes, I still liked the mer-storylines though. But what was going on with those “special”-effects?!?!?Haven’t seen something this poorly made in quite some time! Wow…

27. tahina45 says:

Like how many lost sisters can Meredith have, I still miss Lexie. :(

28. Anna says:

Kinda dull. Meredith/Alex were the only parts worth watching. Their friendship was always my favorite (well second favorite after Callie/Mark).

29. Mary says:

The Meredith/Alex scenes were just perfect. Keep them coming!

30. Joy says:

I don’t want to see mer and Derrick divorce if he is going to leave the show have him killed off don’t end the love affair between them..