Syfy Renews Defiance and Dominion

Defiance Season 3

Syfy has renewed two of its summertime series — dystopian Defiance and supernatural Dominion — for third and second seasons, respectively, our sister site Deadline reports.

Both pick-ups are for 13 episodes, to air in 2015.

RELATED Defiance Season 2 Finale Recap: Raiders of the Lost Ark-Brain

Defiance opened Season 2 with 2 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating (per the fine folks at TVByTheNumbers), slipping to 1.5 mil/0.4 come finale time.

VIDEO Pay Your First Visit to Syfy’s Town of the Living Dead

Dominion debuted in June to 2 mil/0.6, drawing 1.5 mil/0.5 with its Aug. 8 finale.

1. Caitlin says:

Finally, Syfy. Thank you!

2. Fido says:

Yay for Defiance

3. Dani says:

Wow I thought they were about to can Defiance. But good thing I was wrong. And yay for Dominion. Hated the movie, but I really like the series.

4. Erin Kristoff says:

I love Dominion. It totally brought me back to the SyFy channel, so happy.

5. curtlyon19 says:

a very strong MEH, someone must be watching these….
    instead bring back Eureka and Warehouse 13

6. John NYC says:

Nice news, I like Defiance.

7. wrstlgirl says:

Love Defiance but Dominion was boring as hell. I had a hard time sticking with it and difficulty caring about the characters. I don’t know if I’ll go back for S2.

• Mary Ann says:

That was my problem with Dominion too. I just didn’t like any of the characters on the show, not even the “chosen one.” I watched the entire first season, but I won’t be back for the second. I am happy about Defiance, though.

• M3rc Nate says:

Understandable, i mean the guy (chosen one) is NEVER happy…even during/after sex scenes hes moody and depressed….that + the actor who plays him naturally has a emo face that always looks sad…its kinda hard to have fun with a show if the bad guys are bad, and the good guys are sad.

Now dont get me wrong, personally i really enjoyed Dominion, what i didnt like was how its been so long since i watched the movie, i really wished they had explained out the mythology better than they did…i was fairly lost about which angel is who and which angel is the main one from the movie etc until near the end of the season. (Had to go on Wiki).

But still…Michael (Angel) is a refreshingly new actor, the main character (Alex aka chosen one) is good enough (i liked him on Kings), the main girl (Claire) i feel how the writing wants me to feel, which is i liked her, then didnt, then did again, And the love story (that im rooting for) with Noma (girl who ends up being an angel) i really like, i think shes a great new fresh face actress and i like their chemistry…so overall im very happy the show got picked up again.

As for Defiance, i LOVE Defiance, and im VERY happy it got picked up. :D

8. art design says:

Amazing! Its in fact amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea regarding from this paragraph.

9. Leo says:

Good, hope season three of defiance goes back to it’s roots. Season two was bad at times.

10. Delante says:

Great to hear about Dominion!! The show got me hooked as the season went on!!!

11. auntiemm says:

Good for Defiance! I really tried to like Dominion but it’s too predictable.

12. Sara says:

So excited Dominion got renewed!!!! Yay!!!

13. Brigid says:

I’m so glad about Defiance, love that show. I really wasn’t impressed with Dominion. The acting was bad except Anthony Head and Alan Dale but even the writing was so over the top. Someone would say something and the other person verbally attacked them. I just didn’t get it.

14. Sue VanOtteren says:

So looking forward to watching Defiance Season 3 next summer. Really enjoy Defiance and Dominion both shows are so very different.

15. CourtTV says:

I’m definitely happy about Defiance. I guess I should give Dominion a shot.

16. Fan of Both Shows says:

YAY and YAY!

17. Mena says:

I’m so happy Defiance got renewed! I love this show! I’m really curious to see how the cliffhangers are resolved, especially the Irisa/Nolan cliffhanger….

18. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Defiance

19. mike says:

now they just have to renew continum

• Moment says:

Syfy has no say over Continuum getting a Season 4. It’s Shaw Media/Showcase that are responsible for that, and so far they’re saying nothing. I would love for someone like Michael Ausiello to find out whats going on with this show, he seems to know a lot about everything else lol.

20. bj says:

I’m really happy about Defiance!!

21. CountryQueen says:

Yay Defiance! Love that show. It’s fun to binge watch. Happy for Dominion fans too. I tried to watch the pilot, and half way through asked myself why – I hated the movie it was based on, and it seemed about the same. So I deleted.

22. christopher bee says:

Finally! Defiance is a real schtick of ScFi drama with a frakking brillant soundtrack and now please Dominion, lets reunite the lost but never forgotten brillant “Kings” Ian McShane with Christopher Egan.

23. Ally Oop says:

Any word on Continuum?!

24. DavidSask says:

Great news for Defiance but Dominion should not have been renewed!!!

25. Ed says:

Defiance, to me , was ok for the first few shows but I lost interest. But Dominion, now that show is great.

26. mirta374 says:

Love Dominion, yay!
    Just started watching Defiance last Season found it very intriguing. Glad it’s Renewed.
    Also lokking forward to Znation & Outlander. Ty SyFy.

27. Carla Place says:

I think it’s a great show. Has all of the “musts.” Sex, intrigue, and Wisdom! ;) Can’t wait for season two!

28. Kasaundra says:

I love Dominion I hope for a new season year after year. Might have a small competition this summer with the Messenger. In the spring/ summer

29. Joyce says:

Wonderful for Defiance

30. Marie Caswell says:

SSOOOOOOOO GREAT….I love DOMINION….you have to watch the movie “Legion”…then you can appreciate DOMINION series….Thank you sooo much for more series…. I love Dominion!!!