It's Official: True Detective Season 2 to Star Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell

True Detective Season 2 Cast Vince Vaughn Colin Farrell

You can stop tweeting dream-cast pairs: HBO on Tuesday announced that Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell will lead Season 2 of True Detective.

Vaughn (Wedding Crashers), whose interest in the project TVLine exclusively reported in August, will play Frank Semyon. Frank is a career criminal whose move into legitimate enterprise is jeopardized when his business partner is killed.

RELATED  True Detective Finale Draws Record Crowd

Farrell (Alexander) will play Ray Velcoro, described by the network as “a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him.” (Word of Farrell’s casting circulated ahead of HBO’s announcement, thanks to an interview the Dublin-born actor gave an Irish newspaper.)

The series’ official synopsis? “Three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.”

RELATED  HBO Sets Premiere for Newsroom‘s Final Run, The Comeback and More

Other actors whose names have been bandied about for the anthology series’ second season include Mad Men‘s Elisabeth Moss and Friday Night Lights alum Taylor Kitsch.

Production on the eight-episode series will begin this fall in California, with Justin Lin (CommunityFast & Furious) directing the first two hours.

1. GuessWhat says:

Vince Vaughan? will it be a comedy now? do we get a laugh track?

2. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

No Taylor Kitsch? Disappointing.

3. DMCo says:

Colin Ferrell yea!! Vince Vaughn, that’s a disappointment. I won’t be watching. Sorry if you’re a fan of his but he can’t even act!!

4. torimelching says:

Just marked True Detectives off my watch list for 2015. At least season 1 is still worth re-watching.

5. Cate53 says:

That’s two white middling age males. Anything different coming? Not terribly excited by this casting.

6. hz says:

what a surprise, two white guys

7. Bob Smith says:

What happened to an all female leads? I am still holding out for Jessica Chastain.

8. GuessWhat says:

reading the update now — it doesn’t look like Vaughn will be playing a detective though. that helps.

• GuessWhat says:

“Three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.” – so Farrell as one cop and Vaughn as criminal. that leaves 2 more cops to cast.

9. Tom says:

The names of the characters seem more like an SNL sketch and less legit than last season. Frank Semen and Ray Velcro….. smh

10. Rdub says:

I was excited about Woody and Matthew and they didn’t disappoint. This cast?? Meh. We’ll see I guess.

11. Steven says:

Vince Vaughn? Sorry, no I won’t be watching.

12. Jane says:

I like Farrell ok but can’t stand Vince Vaughn. I have seen him in some of his so-called dramatic roles like Return to Paradise and Psycho (bad remake) and he was terrible. In my opinion, he just can’t act. Hopefully his role will be a small one. If it sounds like he has a main role I just won’t be able to watch it and will have to hold out for the next season.

13. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see what happened in the second season of True Detective starring Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. I know that the series will be a winner.

14. Fran says:

Not my favorite actors by any means, but I’ll actually give it a shot first before writing it off automatically. I’ve been surprised in the past with actors I didnt think would work in a show or movie so that may happen here.

15. Jess says:

I love Colin Farrell. Will definitely be watching this season. For the rest of you there is still two more leads to cast. And Vince Vaughn can act. He was in Swingers, Lost World, Mr & Mrs Smith, Rudy, Return to Paradise, Clay Pigeons, The Cell, Psycho, Into The Wild and Domestic Disturbance which are a bunch of non comedy movies. Proof that the guy can do drama. Just because you don’t like him, doesn’t mean he can’t act.

16. That’s two of the great leading ladies… Oh wait
    We were promised a woman focused season

17. Pati says:

super excited for Colin Farrell I’ve loved him for so long and he can be so good in smaller movies like Ondine. Now Vince Vaugh ughhh he is so obnoxious. Let’s see who the third one will be. The first season was amazing, really looking forward to the second one.

18. DL says:

I know Vaughn can be a mixed bag, but I’ve enjoyed some of his earlier work in Swingers, Made, and The Cell. I think he’ll be a good fit for a criminal character, and I won’t pass judgment on his casting until I actually, you know, see the show. I hope everyone else will do the same.

19. Eliza says:

Figured I would see a lot of “won’t be watching” blah blah…. Well, I actually think Colin Farrell will be great. I have seen some pretty solid work from him. And while I’m skeptical of Vince Vaughn- I am willing to have an open mind. I have been surprised by actors before!

20. MattArmando says:

Supposedly Kelly Reilly, Jessica Beil, Rosario Dawson, & Malin Akerman have all been up fronted about the female lead. Personal choice: Kelly Reilly.

21. christine says:

I’ll pass

22. Journey_93 says:

I’m a huge fan of Colin Farrel especially In Bruges is one of my favourite movies
    so I’m excited
    Vince Vaughn I only know from Comedys but I have faith in the directors

23. Rebecca says:

Every one is so negative. Last time I checked plenty of people have been shocked by casting. Mathew use to be just a pretty boy in romantic comedies and now everyone loves him. Before everyone writes this off give it a chance. Also, they still have to cast two more people. So everyone chill out there not done yet!

24. David4 says:

Two of my least favorite actors in the world. I’ll pass.

25. Andie says:

I thought they were supposed to cast a woman?

26. Brendan says:

Wow. Adding Vince Vaughn to this project makes it now star one of my favorites with one of my least favorites. He’s great as a producer (I love Sullivan and Son) but I find him grating on screen in comedies and can only imagine him trying to be in a drama.

27. Jana says:

It’s official: I’m not watching season 2. Farrell could be good, but I can’t stand Vince Vaughn.

28. paul says:

Vince Vaughn stinks!

29. Cagney says:

I thought Vaughn did a good job in the movie “Go” – his character was complicated and he did that well.

30. Behzad says:

So all that talk about a ‘female-centric’ season seems like bs now. If Pizzolatto is still writing the series then it’s still gonna be a bad detective movie recycled from the 90’s with better production value, while the women will exist solely for HBO’s mandatory boob flashing.