Exclusive

The Mysteries of Laura Sneak Peek: 'Captain Booty' Lays Down the Law

Loading video...

After an impressive first outing last week, The Mysteries of Laura moves to its regular time slot Wednesday (NBC, 8/7c) — and thanks to co-star Josh Lucas, it’s bringing along a whole trunk full of junk.

RELATED Mysteries of Laura EP on Debra Messing Cop Comedy: ‘We Push the Envelope’

TVLine has an exclusive first look at Episode 2, in which Debra Messing’s Laura Diamond comes face to butt with a new office dilemma: Her soon-to-be-ex-husband, while insufferable and undependable, is also a total babe and everybody loves him.

(But here’s the real question: Will all those cronuts go straight to Captain Booty’s booty? Time will tell…)

Hit PLAY on the preview clip above, then drop a comment with your thoughts on Laura below.

1. Carrie says:

I want to like this show. I really do. Hopefully the second episode is better and Josh Lucas just might be able to fix it with that!

2. TVLine Fan Girl says:

I want like the show as well, but they need to make Jake, less one-note flaky, charming dad-dude. Plus I liked the captain and I was annoyed with the fact that he was the murder.

• herman1959 says:

I know, the captain as the murderer came totally from out of left field with no clues that the viewers could pick up on. Also, the fact that her soon-to-be-ex turned out to be the new captain was just too cute. It’s a shame because I actually liked the show more than I had expected to, but the end ruined it for me.

3. John NYC says:

Somehow in the interval since the premiere my interest has waned. It’s like the aftertaste from the first outing didn’t age well….

I’ve often liked her so I’ll give it some more time but not that much more.

4. rowan77 says:

The first episode was such a mess, I couldn’t believe it got picked up. I don’t buy Messing in the role but I also don’t buy anything else on this show, so at least it’s consistent. The only thing good last week were the look-in numbers. And they’re inflated because it was the premiere.

5. Alex says:

The pilot was a real stinker. Only did reasonably well because it aired after AGT finale. It should drop big-time in its regular slot.

6. John NYC says:

Loved the show! Otherwise I never would have thought of taking the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridge to get to “Staten Island”. That’s going to save me a bunch of time this weekend.

Like the vic couldn’t be from Flatbush or Astoria?

7. Missy Kelly says:

So, just watched this week’s ep. Missed the opening credits first time around and I realize that it’s called Mysteries of Laura but it seems to me that this is an ensemble show. Debra Messing may be the anchor but the rest of the cast is equal to her in talent and in adding to the show. Those credits need to be redone. Messing is charming and talented. I realize that she is a “star” in hollywood terms but honestly, for the show to succeed, it needs the talents of everyone and probably should include them all. Hopefully, this will iron itself out after the first few episodes. The supporting cast shines and I think I may like them as much or just a little more than Laura. Making the characters stand on their own, can only add to the quality of what comes across on screen.

8. monieet says:

Caught this show by accident. Love, love, love it. You can tell in the first two minutes if a show is good. So excited about the story, casting, and writing. It is a comedy, drama and mystery done well. Debra Messing you are perfect in this role. NBC do not cancel it like you did with Iron Side.