Friends Pilot Revisited 20 Years Later: The Hair! The Clothes! The Mistake?

friends-pilot-11

Friends fans, remember when Monica and Chandler were merely pals? And Phoebe had never been pregnant? And Ross only had one failed marriage under his belt?

RELATED Friends‘ Gunther Speaks Out 20 Years Later: ‘Ross Doesn’t Deserve Rachel’

TVLine remembers, and on this most momentous of occasions — the NBC sitcom premiered exactly 20 years ago today — we’re looking back on the episode where it all began, appropriately titled “The One Where It All Began.”

So join us as we mock Joey’s ’90s style, reflect on the beginnings of Ross and Rachel and, of course, point out one major continuity error. (Side note: I know the error was introduced later, but come on, let’s just pretend like this was all planned.)

Browse our gallery of pilot memories below, then drop a comment with your favorite Friends moments.

1. Rebecca says:

Love the show. Watching it right now. Never gets old.

2. alistaircrane says:

It’s very possible Monica didn’t think Chandler would remember Rachel after only meeting twice. Remember, Monica hadn’t even seen Rachel in years in the pilot.

3. James says:

I always thought that Ross and Rachel ending up together was the desperate act. I rooted for Rachel and Joey.

4. alistaircrane says:

P.S. I love and miss that 90s style! Don’t mock! #thegreatestdecade

5. hello says:

The best thing that happened on this show was when they devided to end Joey and Rachel’s relationship before it really began, stupid storyline. Hooking up Chandler and Monica on the other hand was brilliant

6. LC says:

First things first – can we talk about how it says “thing’s” on the first slide of the gallery?
    There are NO apostrophes in plurals! What a ridiculous grammatical mistake that’s spreading like wildfire these days. Even my professor writes it incorrectly sometimes. How the hell did it start?

• SJ says:

I actually also thought it was spelled like that. As an abbreviation of “first thing is first”. Calm down, at least it’s not a “your/you’re” situation. ;)

• JustMe says:

I would say you’re right. I agree it’s abbreviated for “first thing is first”, meaning it is not a plural and needs the apostrophe.

• thisismenow says:

Eye now! Eye hate win people due that. Eye two go crazy at all the errs on the intranet. R people stupid; Maybe its the fact that we are perfect witch is whey we get mad. Thing’s like this made me think the wordprocessor has it’s own check. Write! Obviously, eye am trolling yew. Time two get of you’re hay horse.

• StupidPeopleShutUp says:

You beat me to it. I can’t take the ineptitude online. It’s just sickening.

7. Ray says:

Look at Jennifer Aniston’s schnozz. It magically whittled down over the years!

8. Babybop says:

I don’t understand all the Joey/Rachel hate. Like them together or not, his crush on her led to some hilarious episodes like “My boss wants to buy my baby!” and The One Where Ross is Fine. I never liked Ross and Rachel together, to be honest. And nobody pull the “You’re not a true Friends fan!” card because I’ve seriously seen every episode at least 6 times and I quote it in daily life… and it’s my favorite thing in general.

• Fran says:

I didn’t hate it either and I enjoyed the episodes (especially The One Where Ross is Fine). But as far as them actually being a couple, I didn’t think it worked. It seemed to come on so fast and didn’t feel natural to me, whereas Monica and Chandler did. Plus I just loved their friendship and didn’t think it ever needed to turn into a romantic thing. But that’s just my opinion. I wanted Joey to have some growth but this wasn’t the answer for me. But everyone is different and of course you can be a “true fan” without liking Ross and Rachel together. I knew they would end up together in the end but realistically I could never see it actually lasting long-term.

9. Patty says:

Another error – they flashed back to 1 year before Rachel’s wedding day, and Ross finds out his wife is gay. But in the second episode of season 1, Ross finds out Carol is pregnant – she was pregnant for over a year and a half?