Fashion Police to Continue Without Joan Rivers; E! Announces Return Date

Joan Rivers Fashion Police

Two weeks after the death of Joan Rivers, E! has made a decision about the fate of Fashion Police: In short, the show must go on.

RELATED Joan Rivers: 15 Memorable (and Hilarious) Career Moments

The weekly celebrity style roundup — co-hosted by Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos — will continue without its fearless leader. The network released the following statement Friday:

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Joan Rivers and, for the last two weeks, have turned our attention to honoring her memory on all of our platforms. We have also thought long and hard about what Joan would have wanted as it pertains to the future of Fashion Police. We decided, with Melissa Rivers’ blessing, that Joan would have wanted the franchise to continue. Fashion Police will return in 2015 commencing with Golden Globes coverage on Monday, Jan. 12. No further details will be announced at this time.”

Will you continue watching Fashion Police without Rivers? At the risk of asking too soon, which personality would you like to see join the panel in her place? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Amy says:

Betty White!

2. seawing says:

There is no one else who can get away with the outrageous things that Joan Rivers said. And without that level of snark, there is no Fashion Police. There can be a fashion show that critiques the fashion and could be fun to watch. But it will be an entirely different entity.

3. Rdub says:

Kathy Griffin

4. Heidi says:

Anyone and I mean ANYONE but Kathy Griffin. I WILL NOT WATCH HER!!!!

5. RUCookie says:

Kathy Griffin is a great choice. Chelsea Handler is open for a job too and she does snark!

6. LibKat says:

Can’t imagine who can come close to filling Joan’s seat. Joan was never just a joke machine on the show. She really cared about fashion and could be hilarious while critiquing it. That’s what they need to find. Too bad Tom and Lorenzo or the FUG Girls would probably kill Guiliana Rancic before the first show was finished.

7. Joanne says:

I think Joy Behar would be a good choice.

8. CantWait says:

Question: Why do women watch a show where a bunch of women, none of whom really have any business holding themselves out as an authority on much of anything, slice and dice up other women over something as trivial as fashion? I mean I can’t see how Kelly Osborne is an expert in anything other than being a trust fund baby, so I’m not sure how spending her addled daddy’s money on clothes makes her a style icon. I’m not being sarcastic, I really don’t understand the appeal of this show. So why do people tune in?

Because on the surface it really looks like what men say about women is actually true, deep down they’re all catty bitches who are deeply jealous of each other and are most happy when other women fail

• Amber says:

You check the demo? LOTS of gay men watch too.

• Alice says:

I am so disappointed that the show is going to continue to be on the air. I think it is horrible for women, completely stone-age kind of attitudes about body image and a “woman’s place”. And yes, it is really disappointing that Kelly Osbourne, who talked about how hurtful it was when people criticized ber body on DWTS, then took a job where all she does is tear down women all day. What a hypocrite. I’d hoped the show would just disappear.

• S. says:

Huh? What does “a woman’s place” have to do with anything? It’s a show with women on the red carpet or walking around wearing something they intend to be seen in. They’re not looking at sneaked pics of cellulite and bathing suits from the National Enquirer. I’ve been missing Fashion Police even more since I knew I wouldn’t have Joan to watch anymore. I’d hoped they wouldn’t just let it go. It doesn’t make sense to force something right now. It’s gonna be a bunch of film festivals and premieres but nothing major to look at so they might as well wait and choose wisely. Golden Globes coverage is the perfect time to return.

• Carol Mullen says:

It was Joan’s thing. We could put up with Guliana’s anorexia, and Kelly’s popeye tatts, because Joan made the show.

• Chris says:

Because it’s the funniest show that ever aired! Pretty simple. Kelly and the others don’t usually “slice and dice” people. That was Joan’s job!

• Shirley says:

Well said.

• Mark Davis says:

Kelly Osbourne gets paid to do this show, and nobody said they were fashion experts, they just comment on what celebrities are wearing.

• Anna Bobana says:

I am not sure why you read this article and took the time to write a lengthy comment. Clearly, you thought little of Joan Rivers and her team. Kelly Osbourne has plenty of knowledge about fashion and can be funny. Granted, that purple hair needs to go, but hey whatever floats her boat.
      Chelsea Handler would not do. She has terrible fashion sense. When I used to watch her show I would constantly ask her (yah, I know she can’t hear me!) “who dresses you?”
      Kathy Griffin is a loudmouth. I say change the format and the set. A fresh start is needed.
      RIP Joan Rivers….

• Elaine says:

Talk about catty bitches-You WROTE THE BOOK.

9. auntiemm says:

I’ll pass.

10. Emmy says:

I watched FP just for Joan Rivers. Not really interested in anything else E! Could show. However am willing to give benefit of the doubt.

11. M3rc Nate says:

Love this decision. I love the show, I enjoyed her comedy but I don’t feel like the show is a shell of its former self without it. I however don’t hope Melissa is a permanent host or anything, she’s blah on the show IMO…I’m super curious to find out if someone will replace Joan, someone with a comedy background and style background perhaps? Or if the show will move on without any jokes and just be Giulianna/Kelly/George and maybe another cohost added.

Either way…love the show and enjoy its takes on fashion and seeing what is being worn each week.

12. Nana3 says:

Tim Gunn!

13. Ally says:

This was a show more about comedy than fashion, and without that element it will not be the same show. I think they need a rotating cast of comedians as the 4th person each week to keep it a comedy show. No one can take the place of joan permanently – she knew her celeb gossip, her fashion, and her comedy; but a guest comedian each week would be a great way to bring the humor in without fully replacing joan. Plus she was always a fan of helping young comedians get a break- what a perfect way to honor her

14. kevin baker says:

Yes Joan would have wanted the show to carry on. Yes it’s not going to be the same. But every time I watch it I will think of Joan. Not that I need the fashion show to do that. Joan will always be remembered in my heart. X

15. Mika02 says:

Yes to Tim Gunn or Mr. Jay Manuel No to anyone else or to even rotating people in Joan’s spot.

16. M3rc Nate says:

TVLine: I hate your comment system…i post comments and they dont go up, it doesnt explain why they dont, when i try to repost it says “That would be a duplicate”…and theres NOTHING in the comment that that would need to be censored or anything negative. SO annyoing.

17. GeoDiva says:

Fashion Police was more about Joan and the outrageous things she would say. The fashion was secondary, but Joan had the cred to talk about it. I loved Fashion Police, but not sure how they will sustain it without her. So, we’ll see. It’s good that they are taking the break until award season to figure it out.

18. kevin baker says:

Also nice to have a picture of Joan around x

19. Amber says:

I’ll watch it. Kathy Griffin is most like her. If not, then how about Ross Matthews?

20. Christine says:

Rivers was the pivotal reason I watched (past tense intentional), she was iconic and could never be replaced in any way, shape or form. Rest in peace Joan and Fashion Police.

21. Nana3 says:

Another choice is Clinton Kelly from The Chew.

22. sal says:

In the last few days, I’ve had a sinking feeling E! were going to do this. I don’t remember this before Joan died, but I noticed in the last few days that E! News were sneaking in segments actually labeled “Fashion Police” during THAT show. Just today they had George on the street asking “real” people about celebrity outfits. E! released this info late on Friday, so the news would get “buried” in the “info dump” weekend. By Monday morning, it’s already absorbed and old. Predictable and sneaky show business stuff. I wonder if Melissa will continue to produce the show. I guess this means Giuliana, Kelly, and George are staying on? I understand that Joan’s death was sudden and unexpected (she was older, but she seemed to be healthy; like Sarah Silverman said, it did not feel like Joan’s time to die). Maybe E! had a contingency plan in place just in case something happened. Chelsea Handler just left her nightly talk show to go to Netflix. Then Joan unexpectedly dies. The network seems to be in flux right now. It just doesn’t feel right to me for them to do Fashion Police without Joan. I would have preferred if they took Giuliana, Kelly, and George and transitioned them into a different fashion show that was not called Fashion Police. Oh, well. Not my decision to make obviously. We’ll see, but I don’t think I’ll watch Fashion Police without Joan. I just can’t get that worked up one way or the other about clothes, and the only reason I watched the show was because I love Joan’s comedy. It always got on my nerves the way Giuliana and Kelly in particular would often act “shocked” by some of Joan’s jokes. Joan was a comedian. She worked “blue.” What did you expect? One name that I haven’t heard yet as a potential “replacement” for Joan is Lisa Lampanelli. I’m not sure that Lampanelli is that into fashion, but she works “blue” too. I think Kathy Griffin could be good in the role too, but Kathy, in a recent Larry King interview, seemed genuinely upset by the recent rumors that Kathy allegedly was gunning for Joan’s Fashion Police gig while Joan was still in the hospital. Maybe E! will go in an entirely different direction host-wise in an attempt to try to avoid Joan comparisions. I feel sad and kind of angry about this but resigned. Typical showbiz. Joan got screwed out of the Carson gig, too. Rest in Peace, Joan Alexandra Molinsky Rivers Rosenberg.

• S. says:

If Melissa asked her to, Kathy would probably be honored. Whether she actually wanted to do it or not, I think it wouldn’t be offensive at that point. E! can’t do anything without Melissa’s say so really, not without really making a lot of people upset. I think Joan would’ve wanted the show to go on, in part because she and Melissa built it together. I don’t see the point of rebranding/renaming with the same people sans Joan–nothing wrong with calling it “Fashion Police.” They like the dynamic and show structure. If they can be true to Joan’s spirit and make Melissa happy, I say go for it. I was rewatching the 2013 Tonys opening (a classic awards show opening number that I highly recommend checking out on Youtube) and NPH mentions “Fashion Police” in the ending bit. I immediately thought of Joan and how sad I’d be if the show never came back. It’s a tribute to her to keep it going. E! did what they had to do, they were respectful while trying to make the best of the situation and plan for their network. It’s important business and there’s no shame in that. Joan would’ve understood and respected it.

• sal says:

I don’t think E! is under any obligation to “do right” by Melissa Rivers. I think it would be extremely bad PR if they didn’t at least act concerned about Melissa’s feelings. After watching the Joan Fashion Police tribute, it seems to me that Melissa is staying on as producer (and that Giuliana, Kelly, and George are also staying on, and perhaps the crew). So they’re still employing Melissa. Hypothetically, they could fire her at any point, or she could choose to leave. As far as I know, we don’t know at this point if Kathy has been asked by Melissa or anyone if Kathy is interested in Fashion Police, and, if so, if Kathy would even take the job. As I wrote earlier, from her recent Larry King interview, my understanding is Kathy was upset about the rumors that she was trying to get Joan’s job while Joan was still hooked up to the machines. Kathy cared about Joan not just professionally but personally; I’m sure that stung. Kathy has humanity (sorry to give that way, on the off chance you might be reading this, Kathy :) ). I’m a huge fan of Kathy’s. I wouldn’t become an ex-fan if she took the job. I still think they should rebrand the show, including changing the title. As far as I’m concerned, Joan WAS Fashion Police. I love George (although I would never watch a show just because he is on it), I like Kelly, and I tolerate Giuliana. As I wrote earlier, maybe there was a contingency plan in place all along. Joan was not a young lady. Maybe Joan was in on that potential contingency plan. Maybe she would be okay with Fashion Police going on without her. Maybe she was trying to guarantee future employment for her daughter. Just speaking for myself, I would always find Joan’s absence from Fashion Police a sad distraction that would mentally take me out of the show. I don’t feel that I would truly be able to enjoy the show again. I don’t think it’s an evil, horrible thing for everyone involved to go on. I’m sure a lot of people’s livelihoods depend on that show. I just wish E! were going about it in a different way.

• Aaron says:

Melissa is the Executive Producer on the show – and something tells me that E! does need her blessing.

• sal says:

Again, as I wrote earlier, it would be extremely bad PR for the network to go against the daughter of a beloved comedian who just died in a tragic manner. Most if not all of the people involved in the show (including Melissa) seem to want to continue, the network wants to continue, so they’re continuing. *shrugs* All I wrote was that down the line, maybe the network might not want to work with Melissa anymore, or maybe Melissa herself might choose to leave the network at some point (Melissa and Joan did leave the network at one point when they felt that the network was not offering them what they deserved financially, but obviously Joan and Melissa “patched up their differences” with E! and came back to the network). Maybe Melissa and E! will continue to work together for many more years (I’m presuming the E! network will continue for a long time). None of us know what the future holds. I’m just speculating here. As the saying goes, “It’s not show friends, it’s show business,” and business is kind to no one.

• marion heim says:

no Kathy please

23. ChrisGa says:

Gonna be difficult watching FP without Joan; she was the primary reason I watched, although the rapport between her and the other three co-hosts was also a very strong selling point. I could see maybe Kathy Griffin stepping in and doing pretty well but she’d be the only one.

24. Lisa Hession says:

Joy Behar would do Joan Proud!!!!

• seawing says:

Joy has never been known for her interest in fashion or for her personal style. Whoever replaces Joan needs to have some credibility.

25. Jared says:

Nobody can replace Joan Rivers because she was one of a kind. I wouldn’t mind a rotating celebrity guest host.

26. Melissa Havdala says:

Yes hope Fashion Police continuous. Il miss Joan:(. Hope Kelly stays with the show.

27. Melissa Havdala says:

Love the show!! Hope Kelly stays with the show. Il miss Joan:)

28. meatwad says:

She really was the key to the show. Ill watch a few to see if its still entertaining

29. Diane Hirsch says:

Kathy Griffin should be on the panel,,🌞

30. Alienate says:

What about Sara Silverman? A younger, snarky “Jewish Lady”. She pulls no punches just like Joan.

31. Jeanne Walsh says:

I will certainly miss joan I don’t think anyone can take her place but if I had to pick I would say Mario cantone he is a riot but I will miss joan a lot.

32. Rae says:

Kathy griff in

33. Rae says:

Kathy griffin

34. Barb C says:

her daughter Melissa…

35. Leslie Cirelli says:

Ross Matthews!

36. Bev Parks says:

Guests. No one can be like Joan so change it up every week or two. Kathy G., Sarah Silverman, and Chelsea get way too gross. Usually when a person is older they can push the envelope like that but those three are just too bitter and cynical for their age. I find that unappealing. BTW, Kelly Osborne’s comments are always gentle and not insulting. She has matured into a lovely likeable young lady. And it really is all about the clothes and what works with who, not condemning the actresses and actors.

37. Kathy Griffin would be fabulous as Joan’s very good friend and her style is the same .

38. Mar says:

Kathy Griffin or Chelsea Handler would both be good replacements if the Network wants a similar comedic style.

39. jack stone says:

I think Andrew Dice Clay cause hes quick& funny & can insult people and get away with it . And there ie no femalealive that can take joans place

• Jennifer says:

Good God, not a chance in hell. Totally insulting goober, yes he is, but his knowledge of fashion doesn’t exist. No no no.

• Ha! that was my first thought & someone mentioned Lisa Lampenelli, she wouldn’t be bad either. Though the rotating cast idea before settling sounds good too.

• sal says:

:) I’ll “brag” a little and point out that I’m the one who mentioned Lisa Lampanelli here earlier (in all fairness, I saw that someone else brought up Lampanelli on a different site). Nice to see other people agree with me. We’ll see what E! does…

40. Kathleen Cady says:

Yes – the Fashion Police should go on…. it will be healing for all of us I hope! Russ Matthews should be added to the show… he is great AND Joan would approve. He loves her…. just like the rest of us…. so there would not be any media BS about “Joan’s replacement” but rather he would be a tribute to her….

41. It’s not going to be the same without Joan – so the answer is no, I will not watch the show. Joan is what made the show enjoyable, funny, and interesting. Rest in Peace Joan, and thanks for the laughter.

42. Jennifer says:

Joan Rivers’ was Kathy Griffin’s mentor. It’s perfect symmetry and God knows, Kathy has the same irreverence and biting humor when it comes to critiquing the rich and famous. I say go for it. I’m positive Joan would approve.

43. Frank says:

Get rid of Kelly. Why does she have any say about anyone’s fashion? She is clueless!

44. Natalia Markova says:

Fashion Police without Joan Rivers is like Christmas without Santa Claus.
    No way!

45. Susan says:

No ne else but Kathy Griffin can carry the show in Joan’s footprints!

46. No one can do that show but Joan. No substitutes. Drop the show!

47. No cheap substitutes please.

48. Mark says:

kathy griffin

49. I would like Melissa to stay on for sure. No one will ever replace Joan Rivers.I loved her.I think that Wendy Williams would be a good choose. she has a flare. she is funny, knows her stars, has great presentation and has great style.