Bill Hader Returning to SNL as Host — Will Stefon Be Joining Him?

Bill Hader SNL Host

Saturday Night Live is welcoming back its prodigal son — well, one of them, anyway.

RELATED SNL Adds Pete Davidson as Featured Performer

Bill Hader, an eight-season SNL veteran, will return to Studio B on Oct. 11 as host, along with musical guest Hozier.

During his time on SNL, Hader originated a number of fan-favorite characters, including New York City nightlife correspondent — and frequent Weekend Update guest — Stefon.

As previously announced, SNL will kick off its 40th season Sept. 27 with host Chris Pratt and musical guest Ariana Grande. Sarah Silverman will follow Oct. 4, joined by musical guest Maroon 5.

So, which of Hader’s infamous characters are you hoping to see next month? Drop a comment with your wish list below.

1. James says:

Where is Bill Murray?

2. dman6015 says:

Stefon won’t work without Seth Meyers.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Agree, those 2 together are funny and connect very well.

• You mean Weekend Update Special Correspondent Seth Meyers (who still works for Lorne Michaels after all)? I am sure they will find a way for both of them to show up.

• S. says:

Don’t forget Stefon writer John Mulaney. He’s got his own show now. For his sake I hope it works and is still on the air in October because he’s really talented and deserves this, but c’mon John. I need to know where New York’s hottest clubs are. Tell Fox you gotta do this for us.

3. Tran says:

So excited come October 11th. All I need is more STEFON. :-)

4. Mary Kate says:

YES! Love Hozier too!

5. Tom says:

Stefon and of course James Carville

6. Evan says:

If Stefon makes a return (which, I mean, he must), I fully expect they’ll bring Seth back too.

7. LABete says:

Get Seth Meyers to do a cameo with Stefon–but I just HAVE to see Stefon! Plus get Kristen and Fred back and do The Californians. I love them SO much. Oh, and get Jon Hamm to cameo and do a Vincent Price Special!! Oh, and how about that Italian Talk Show Host and his spaghetti-eating side-kick? I just miss Bill Hader so much!

• Tom says:

I never thoght I’d see someone saying they love the Californians, but the other stuff I’m down with

• Marius Telemacher says:

I live in California, I think The Californians is brilliant.

But for it to work properly, they’d need Fred Armisen and Kristen Wiig to match Hader’s valleyspeak. (“Get out of here, Devon! Take the 405 to Reseda to reach the 118, then exit on the 210 and get out of here!”) Yes, a significant part of Los Angeles conversations is freeway directions.

8. Eric says:

Unless Seth returns, I don’t wanna see Stefon. Who am I kidding, OF COURSE they’re going to bring back Seth. A lot of other great Bill Hader characters that I want to see resurface. I absolutely love when SNL brings back their more successful alumni to host, because we already know that they’ve got the chops.

• Tran says:

Couldn’t agree more. Like Andy Samberg did in last season’s finale. Really hope Amy Poehler should come back as host like she was in the Season 36 premiere (the debuts of Vanessa Bayer, Taran Killam, Jay Pharoah and Paul Brittain).

• S. says:

Isn’t Seth practically down the hall? And Fred Armisen? (Jimmy Fallon too for that matter). They could just wander over for dress rehearsal. As for characters I hope Bill does, besides Stefon I’d also kinda love to see Vincent Price. It’s mid-October. Totally could do a Halloween sketch. Then there’s Herb Welch. Never has a reporter so inept been so hilarious. Alas, if it weren’t for the fact that I wanted to see Stefon, the 2 gay guys from New Jersey bit on Update would be funny.

9. Joey Padron says:

Happy Bill is back hosting an episode! Can’t wait to see the episode!

10. N says:

I love Stefon!

11. MR. TRUTH says:

Of course he will SNL is now just a rehash of former cast members and their stale characters