Arrow Recruits Spartacus Star as Captain Boomerang in Season 3

Arrow Captain Boomerang

Don’t let his name fool you; Captain Boomerang isn’t anyone‘s idea of a good time.

RELATED Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites, Including Arrow

Nick Tarabay (Spartacus) will appear in several episodes of Arrow‘s upcoming third season as Digger Harkness, better known to comic book fans as the villainous Captain Boomerang, Entertainment Weekly is reporting. Digger still holds a major grudge against A.R.G.U.S., for whom he was formerly an operative.

Taraby makes his first appearance in Episode 7, leading into Episode 8, which will include a crossover with The Flash.

Arrow kicks off its third season on Wednesday, Oct. 8, at 8/7c on The CW.

Your thoughts on Taraby’s casting? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. Tim says:

In the comics Boomerang was part of the original Suicide Squad

• wordsmith says:

Sounds like they are planning something similar here. Also, he was part of the traditional Flash rogues gallery, and again, they seem to have their bases covered.

2. wordsmith says:

He always struck me as one of the sillier villains. Interested to see what a dark and gritty version of the character will look like, both visually and story-wise.

3. TVworks2014 says:

Asher! That’s four Spartacus alums on Arrow. All have great roles. Hopefully Crixus/Slade will return at some point. He was awesome on Arrow.

4. Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Fun fact: When I was on set in the spring, I asked Manu Bennett who from SPARTACUS he thought should be on ARROW next — “Asher!!!!!”

5. Sheldon W. says:

Interesting – casting a Kiwi to play an Aussie! Also intriguing – having a Flash villain appear on Arrow first. Also intriguing: taking a character who seemed pretty silly, initially, in the comics, but became a much darker and interesting character in later incarnations (though if you’ve ever seen someone who knows what he’s doing handling a boomerang, you’d know just how silly he’s not).

• Ben says:

You mean… like they did with Manu Bennett?

As a Kiwi myself, one thing I quite liked was the way Slade’s accent seemed to slowly dissolve from Australian to Kiwi as the show went on.

6. Joey Padron says:

Good casting! Looking forward to Arrow and The Flash crossover episodes.

7. Briggs says:

New villain and new pics! *sigh* Still four weeks and counting…

• floacist says:

I think its a little over two weeks.

• Briggs says:

Nope, I consulted a calendar, a little over three. Now, I’m including the actual date of the premiere, that being the end of week three, so I could be counting it differently. That would account for the differential. But I still think over three weeks.

• Briggs says:

Actually… I think I miscounted. May I blame my cold for this one? it’s day four, and I’m still using up tissue boxes like no tomorrow…

8. Sparky says:

Can this season please just start…..I know so much that’s going to happen already…I don’t think I’ve ever read as many spoilers for a show I’m so looking forward to see what happens next. I’m so ready to actually watch the actual episodes!!!! I hope all the publicity that the show has generated and the great guest cast this season means a spike in the ratings

9. Hmm says:

Bring on more Spartacus alums I am HERE for it.

10. Pati says:

does arrow and Spartacus have the same producers or same team, they have a lot of the same actors on both shows. They should give ilithyia a role too, she was so good and i haven’t seem her in anything else since Spartacus.

11. LibKat says:

YES!!! Arrow continues to support my dream that every actor who was a regular on Spartacus will eventually find their way onto the show. Now go get to work on something for John Hannah.