TNT Renews Murder in the First

Murder in the First Renewed for Season 2

The verdict is in: Murder in the First is getting a second season.

RELATED Longmire Being Shopped to Amazon, Netflix — But Not TNT?

TNT has renewed the cop drama for a 10-episode Season 2, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED  Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

The series, which stars Taye Diggs (Private Practice) and Kathleen Robertson (Boss) as San Francisco homicide detectives, drew 3.4 million total viewers in its Aug. 11 season finale — its best ratings since the premiere.

The cabler also recently renewed fellow freshman series The Last Ship, as well as Major Crimes and Falling Skies.

1. Moment says:

That’s surprising, it pulled a .4 quite often. This renewal should give some hope to Dallas fans.

2. Kvivik says:

I had hoped they would do a True Detective/American Horror Story type show where the location and characters change from year to year. I had to stop watching after episode three because I couldn’t handle Kathleen Robertson’s “acting.” Did watch the finale…was disappointed by the plot conclusion (avoiding spoiler flaming).
    Anything on Rizzoli & Isles? Perception?

3. karen says:

THRILLED about Murder in the First! I LOVE it!

4. Alienate says:

I’m surprised they didn’t jump all over Longmire. It would be a great fit.

• Anees says:

Longmire was originally developed for TNT and they passed on it, so them not wanting it back is understandable.

• Kvivik says:

Yes, but now they know the premise of the show works and is ‘popular’ in the standards of cable TV vs network TV. (Would have died a quick death in the first season on network tv.)
        That being said, I have a sinking feeling about its chances. :-(

5. Anees says:

I am really surprised by this. It did worse than King & Maxwell which TNT cancelled.

• L says:

But King & Maxwell was just terrible.. this was much better.

• Gus T.T. Showbiz says:

False. King & Maxwell got better as it went along. I couldn’t make it past the third episode of this show. I found it dreadful.

• L says:

I thought K & M was awful…. maybe because i liked the books it was based on and the show bared very little resemblance to them… but mostly the casting was terrible and the storylines too procedural… on this show it had a nice season long mystery arc to keep it going.

• Gus T.T. Showbiz says:

I like the books better than I liked the show as well. Mainly because of Rebecca Romijn. She’s just so bland as an actress. I mean, she has the ability to act but, she just doesn’t bring anything to any role that I’ve seen her in. But, I still thought that the show started to find it’s footing about halfway through the season. I tried to make it through Murder in the First hoping that it would fill the void left by The Killing. But, I just found it so boring. And I don’t mean slow. The Killing was slow but, I still enjoyed it. I mean slooowwww. They drug out things for no reason. Maybe the characters were vital later on but, early on I found most of them I found to be useless. To each his own I suppose. With all of the talk of the final season of White Collar at least some people are getting good news with this renewal.

• KevyB says:

While 10 episodes was clearly too long for what was basically a long episode of Law & Order, at least the cops here weren’t as unendingly incompetent as those on The Killing. My hopes in Season 2 are several possible suspects instead of one extremely obvious one. AND for more Bochco stuff from the cops. Stop using anyone who isn’t Taye Diggs or Kathleen Robertson as background noise.

6. dj says:

Great news!! Now, let’s hope Longmire finds a new home

7. ChicagoDan says:

Glad it was renewed. It was incredibly uneven – way too much personal stuff – especially at beginning. Hopefully, they will focus on the perp and case in S2 and leave the ‘dying’ wife, ex-husband, etc. in the dust.

8. Boiler says:

Hopefully this is good news for Perception as I think its a better show.

9. Lyn says:

That is Great I love the show!!!

10. pamela says:

i like the two main leads and the show had promise, but i found myself switching channels a lot while i watched it for something better. hopefully the show gets reworked for season 2.

11. GeoDiva says:

Nice… I really enjoyed it.

12. sarah j says:

WOW! I am surprised. I stopped watching after 2 episodes.

13. Laurie Emerson says:

I don’t watch the show but am always glad when a show gets picked up, especially for its fans. I really enjoy Legends but have not heard anything about it. Am hoping it gets renewed.

14. Ella J. Wade says:

Longmire is cancelled, Almost Human is cancelled, Intelligence is cancelled and Murder in the First is renewed. I liked it, but not as much as the others.

15. Great, now I can start watching!!! Love Diggs, but since is vry hard to know when a show ill pull through, I didn’t get too excited about it.

16. Faye says:

I hope they run the first season again before the second one begins. Looks good and I missed out originally.

17. Mara says:

They renewed this but didn’t jump at the chance to get Longmire?? Not very smart TNT

18. Frank says:

I really hope Dallas gets a 4th Season. It has a slightly better demo than Murder in the First. MITF was just dreadful.

19. Ron Johnson says:

Murder in the First, excellent show. It seems though, it was on at least once before. You can tell its slightly dated because of the “new’ not seen Bay bridge. Having said that, good for them love to watch it. Take note though, it is more like the Bridge. One main theme = murder, then the side stories.

20. Xochi says:

FYI…San Francisco doesn’t have detectives, they have inspectors.

21. eve delores says:

Great, I was hoping for renewal. I’ve enjoyed every episode, the plots, the premise, the cerebral aspects and of course the actors. I see chemistry among the actors and often a second season at the 14th, 15th episodes give them time gel!

22. Wanda says:

Yaaaaaaa!

23. Tode says:

But WHEN?!

24. I happen to like it. At least its betterthen all the Reality TV shows that are taking over the TV.

25. Iris19 says:

I loved the first season of this show. Just watched the first 10 minutes of season 2 and turning it off. Not ok with a columbine or kent state premise for the season.