Report: Teen Titans Pilot, Featuring Nightwing, Nearing Order at TNT

Teen Titans Pilot

Teenagers these days — all they want to do is save the world.

According to multiple reports, DC Comics is nearing a deal with TNT for a drama pilot based on the Teen Titans, a group of young superheroes led by Dick Grayson, who makes the leap from sidekick Robin to full-fledged hero Nightwing.

RELATED Report: Supergirl TV Series In the Works from Arrow’s Greg Berlanti

Nightwing’s motley crew also includes the likes of Starfire and Raven. The Titans appeared in their own Cartoon Network animated series from 2003 to 2006, and can now be seen on the network’s far-less-serious Teen Titans Go!

The pilot is reportedly written by Akiva Goldsman and Marc Haimes. Goldsman would also serve as executive producer, with Haimes as co-EP.

But who will play the Titans, should the pilot get the green light? The Vampire Diaries star Steven R. McQueen has made it no secret that he’s dying to suit up as Nightwing, posting tons of pictures of his favorite crimefighter, but his character is very much alive and well on the supernatural CW drama, now heading into its sixth season.

Who would you like to see play the Teen Titans? Drop a comment with your casting suggestions below.

1. Nate says:

I screamed. Like a lot. I’m a dude. … but TNT? Idk

• brody says:

Ryan Kelley from “Teen Wolf” would be awesome! I don’t think MTV puts those actors under contract, they seem to jump ship for better pay every season so I think he could. Look at Colton Haynes and “Arrow” or “Daniel Sharman” and “The Originals”! Kelley would be great.

• Shazay says:

How would this work though? It’s easy to pull off in comics, but they’d need to do some heavy lifting to get something good going. A batman character with an alien and a demon? I could see them pulling it off without Nightwing, but then again Superman v Batman is an alien and a bat character, so I guess it could work somehow.

2. regardingalex says:

antastic but TNT IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG NETWORK FOR THIS. COULD NOT BE A WORSE FIT.

I can feel them sucking the flavor out of this and blanding it up already…

3. L says:

Well see if this gets made.. i’m skeptical.. no on the vampire diaries dude as Nightwing though… hes terrible….. I’m more curious as to who would play Starfire and if they’d put her in the classic (i.e. barely dressed) outfit.

4. athomas9 says:

All I care is that Aubrey Plaza is casted as Raven.

5. jc says:

Omggggg yessss. Yess this has to be made.

6. Kay says:

I’d like to see Maddie Hasson as one of the girls!

7. Why are people down on TNT? Do you people forget Southland? Saving Grace? TNT can produce some fantastic shows. Also, why does no one complain about Arrow being on CW when CW airs for more garbage than TNT. Or even Gotham on FOX when FOX airs the worst garbage on TV.

• jordan says:

Southland was a NBC show. Saving Grace was terrible. I will take Fox or CW over horrible TNT. It’s just going to be the same superhero show over and over again like crime shows now. Plus, lower standards for network TV since you can’t do as much. TNT is on cable and the network still stinks. FX or AMC are much better.

• L says:

TNT has decent shows.. Falling Skies first couple of seasons were good… Last Ship was good.. Its a decent network.

• Southland was cancelled twice on NBC and after the show runner left and it went on TNT it became a much, much better show. Saving Grace was and still is a better show then anything FOX/NBC/ABC is currently airing in terms of acting and writing. And why on earth would Teen titans need to go to FX or AMC? Teen Titans isn’t a overly violent team, FX/AMC are networks dedicated to providing adult themed shows not shows aimed towards teens-young adults, the key demo for a show like Arrow, Flash and now Teen Titans.

• Cory says:

FOX is excellent for the most part at picking sci-fi/fantasy shows. I always check them out and enjoy them even if they’re likely to get canceled. And right now they have Sleepy Hollow, Bones and several excellent comedies. CBS airs far far more trash.

• D says:

I miss the WB

8. KB says:

Maybe Stefania Lavie Owen might make a good Raven

9. Leo says:

Who are they going to replace Cyborg with? He’s with the justice league…hope they don’t have two versions

10. Briggs says:

I hope they treat this better than they did Witchblade. Though that was probably not a good project from the beginning…

• tp says:

IIRC Witchblade didn’t make it because the lead actress had a drinking problem. I wonder if it’s on Netflix or something….

• Briggs says:

Really? I did not know that, but it would explain a lot. I rediscovered it on DVD from our county library system. I didn’t watch it at the time it was on the air because I was living at home and we didn’t have cable. :(

11. sladewilson says:

DC Comics is going to have the same problem that Marvel is experiencing now. They’re characters are under different studios so they can’t be used all together. That’s why you won’t see an Avengers vs X-Men movie anytime soon. Gotham is on Fox, Constantine on NBC, Arrow and Flash on Fox and now Titans on TNT. Be clear – I’m amped. If done right, Titans could be HUGE. Nightwing, Raven, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Starfire but lets be clear – they’re arch-nemesis in the comic world is Deathstroke and Arrow already got him. Arrow also jacked Brother Blood. That’s two of the Titans gallery down. Plus Speedy aka Arsenal aka Roy Harper (also an original Titan) can’t be used. Going to be interesting to say the least….

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hmm, BUT… if WBTV produces both, ultimately THEY have dibs on who can go where. And if Slade isn’t being concurrently used on ARROW, no reason Deathstroke couldn’t pop up on TITANS.

• Davey Elmer says:

I don’t see any reason that a Titans show wouldn’t be able to secure the usage rights to characters that are already being featured in other series on other networks, since we know such a thing has already happened with FOX’s Gotham.

• Pat says:

I’m pretty sure if wanted their characters could be used together, as they are still all controlled by one entity. Like they talked about characters from Arrow and such appearing on Constantine and they seemed like it was doable legality wise, just not logistic wise. Not sure though. Plus the only two shows they are world building is Arrow and Flash, the rest are all their own it seems anyway. Who says they can’t use a different actor for Arsenal as well? Green Arrow was used on smallville and then arrow. I think the characters are allowed, but could be wrong. Marvel had no movie business so it just sold characters off willy nilly, then it got one and lost all the characters. They shot themselves in the foot as it may be.

• L says:

They can use the characters as they are all controlled by WB… just airing on different networks. They could probably even do cross-overs.. though that gets trickier.

• Jenny says:

Slade is also still alive.
      They could make it so Gotham is the past, Arrow is the Present and Titans is the future

• Hush says:

Gotham is in Fox and it should remain separate from the rest of the TV universe as it a prequel and will never cross over.
      Arrow and Flash are both on CW. Both of these shows are the focal point of the DC TV universe. It can crossover with Titans. The reasons for this is because Warner Bros own shares on both CW and TNT and also Greg Berlanti is the producer on Arrow/Flash and is helping with Titans. So a crossover is very possible. Supergirl can also be crossed over because it is going to be aired on CBS which owns half of CW. The producers of Constantine have said they would like to see the show share a universe with Arrow.

• Rick says:

Arrow & The Flash are on The CW, not Fox.

12. Jared says:

Steven McQueen would actually be perfect for Teen Titans. Its ashame his character is still alive on TVD when he has 2 lines an episode.

• Jake says:

I disagree..Cannot stand any of the actors on TVD or Originals..They cannot act outside one emotion. Hence the reason it is only on the CW

13. YES! Now this I’m excited about. It just need the right tone. More Young Justice, less Teen Titans toon.

14. James D says:

if this actually gets picked up I will be super stoked. Love the teen titans both the comics and the original animated series. I have also been yearning to see Nightwing in some capacity from the DCCU. TNT seems like an odd choice but heck if they can get it done I’m all for this.

15. alistaircrane says:

Interesting. I hope it’s the New Teen Titans cast (Nightwing, Donna Troy, Wally West, Tempest, Roy Harper, Raven, Cyborg, Starfire, Changeling, Jericho, etc.).

16. Kae says:

bring back young justice!! okay now that i got that out of the way sounds good lol

17. ggny says:

Would be AMAZING if Roy Harper from Arrow crossed over in a few episodes

18. ggny says:

Also was there a bidding war for this? Because why the hell wouldnt The CW try to get this? Having Flash,Nightwing,Arrow all on the same network would create endless possiblity for DC

19. nabocane says:

David Blue for Nightwing.

20. Max Hale says:

I say we should have Tyler Hoechlin (from Teen Wolf) for Nightwing! He would definitely ace the role.

21. Ram510 says:

This would be awesome! Don’t know if TNT is the right network, but maybe they want to continue having a male skewing night on Sundays and pair it with The Last Ship? Please oh please, make this show similar to Young Justice!

• Louis says:

Why does everyone like Young Justice more than Teen Titans? Also why did they replace Impulse with kid flash? Is it because they thought kids wouldn’t know who Impulse is?

• Alan says:

because young justice was a better representation of the dc universe, and a better show too.
        as for impulse, he was featured heavily in the second season of the show, the creators just went with wally wests kid flash for the first season for the same reason dick graysons robin was chosen over tim drakes, they are just more popular.

22. M3rc Nate says:

All depends on casting, tone, what characters they choose for the show, what they are and arent allowed to touch (in terms of DC universe, can they mention Batman? Show him? Mention the Justice League? etc). Of course then there are the other very important issues that can ruin a show, the costumes; what will they look like? Will the show be episodic or serialized? etc etc etc.

WAAAAY too early to judge this…but im glad they are trying this instead of some zombie show or vampire show or gross cheating show etc. Considering Nightwing is one of my favorite Superheroes of all time, im excited!

Basically, because this is based on super hero comic books and a couple of good cartoons…like with the Superhero movies this will be scrutinized to the Nth degree by the very fans they want to watch the show and love the show and tell their friends about the show and tweet about the show (etc). Its not like other shows like The Walking Dead where 80% of the viewers (cause there are so many viewers) havent read the comics. In this case a large chunk (potentially the difference between on for 4 years and cancelled after the first season) will be quite familiar with the characters from either comics or the cartoons.

23. Aleana says:

Matt Lanter as Nightwing
    Mackenzie Rosman as Stargirl
    Peyton List as Raven
    Tyler James William as Cyborg

24. Candice says:

I’ve always wanted a Nightwing show. I am excited.

25. Jack says:

This would be the best. Love the choice for nightwing that guy fits the look perfectly. Would be the best show ever

26. Chuck Jusiak says:

I’m sorry, but I think without Steven R McQueen, you got no show! This kid would fit Nightwing like a glove!! Anybody else would make all your efforts look like a bad B movie!! If I can make another suggestion, Dylan O’Brian would make a great Beastboy!! Just my opinion! And just think, Crystal Reed is not under contract, so she’s open for Raven!! Think about Deborah Ann Woll as Starfire!! Crazy look a like eh! Oh, by the way, if your looking to put Cyborg in the mix, might I suggest Marc John Jefferies! I just thought a few ideas couldn’t hurt! Good luck with this project! I would love to see what you do with this!

27. D says:

Just please go for the classic line up. Nightwing, Donna Troy, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Kid Flash although I think they will cut it down to 5 people

28. Joey Padron says:

Live action Teen Titans show would be great and it would be great to see Nightwing on TV!

29. i really hope the script will go to perez era(please please do judas contract ) instead of the newer teen titans… there was some deep drama that might work on tnt (on the other hand live action teen titans!!!!!)

30. Crest says:

I hope its more Young justice like with Robin, Artemis, Aqualad, Kid Flash/Wally West etc.

Characters like Raven, Starfire, Beastboy seriously, how many people knows and care much those. They are lame and they will be setting the show to fail, Imo.

• L says:

More people probably know Raven and Starfire than know Artemis (the YJ version is not really a DC character) or Aqualad…. And Kid Flash is probably off limits because of the Flash show.

31. Steve Sirica says:

Count me in…I’ll watch it.

32. I see this as a summer series but I’m sold. I wish I could pen an episode for this series.

33. Dave says:

No. Let The CW have ALLLLL the superheroes because they do them so well. TNT can just focus on another season of Dallas, pls & thx.

34. Luis says:

The advent of CGI meant that superheroes would soon take over the entertainment world . . . being a “Teen Titans” fan from the 80s, I will admit to being more than a little excited by the idea, although TNT has always been a little older-skewing in its demographic . . . I thought FX (or perhaps FXX) would be a more appropriate place for this show to land. Also disappointed that Cyborg will likely not be a part of the show, given the character’s appearance in the upcoming “Batman v. Superman” and “Justice League” movies

• L says:

Not necessarily true on Cyborg.. and the title they are floating is “Titans” rather than “Teen Titans” so they are probably setting these characters as college age rather than young teenagers.

35. Angus says:

Leave the superhero stuff to the CW.

36. Luis says:

I always thought Nightwing would be a very rich character to explore given his relationship with Batman – hard to tell how much of that will be explored, given the whole movie/TV dynamic, but interesting to think how a young superhero raised by Batman would relate to the world around him. Titans have undergone so many iterations since the 80s when I read them, its hard to tell how a TV show would focus on the characters. As an 80s “TT” fan, I would hope desperately to see Deathstroke as part of the series, but it could be hard given how good an interpretation Manu Bennett gave Slade on “Arrow” the past two years.

37. bbj says:

As happy as I am about this, I would hate for Dick to be played by that guy. Not even remotely the same features and you can talk about badly written characters all you like, he isn’t a good actor. I would love for him to be played by a romani actor, as he is, canonically, romani.

38. kalli r says:

… i could play starfire. yup.

39. Rawan says:

I would like Kat Denning to play Raven!!

40. Wader says:

In my opinion I think Corey sevier would be an awesome Nightwing. His acting is good and he looks the part.

41. Emma Klei says:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES TEEN TITANS LIVES!!!! *HUGS WRITER AWKWARDLY*

42. Kay says:

I think Julia Telles would make a good Raven! She played Sasha on Bunheads…

43. JorkRawn45 says:

I think Rooney Mara could play as Raven. Her or Crystal Reed. Lord knows she needs the role after quitting her only known role and disappearing off the face of the earth.

44. Donovan says:

The girl that played hit girl from Kickass to play raven

45. John says:

They should go with an unknown for Nightwing. Perhaps “New England Robin” from Facebook.

46. I’d do the world a favor by taking the nightwing role.. just saying, my foot is a better actor than Stephen R. Mcqueen

47. bryan labady says:

i think the actor that played blake in the dark knight rises should play nightwing.

48. bryan says:

will they put tim drake in it

49. bryan says:

i really want them to look for a hot starfire that matches ALL her features…her face,her boobs…her personalities…and the way she talks