Ratings: Big Brother Up, Taxi Brooklyn Finale Dips, Extant Eyes Possible Low

Taxi Brooklyn Finale Ratings

CBS’ filler-riffic Big Brother on Wednesday night drew 7 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, up 6 percent and a tenth week-to-week and up 8 percent and two tenths versus its comparable previous Thursday outing.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites

Closing the Eye’s night, following coverage of the presidential address, Extant (4.2 mil/0.7) is looking at possible new lows, pending final numbers.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

Again, subject to adjustment due to assorted presidential address-related interruptions….

NBC | America’s Got Talent (10.5 mil/1.9) and the Taxi Brooklyn finale (4.7 mil/0.8) are thus far each down a tenth in the demo.

FOX | The two-hour Hell’s Kitchen premiere (averaging about 4.1 mil/1.4) was down sharply from its previous, in-season opener (5.5 mil/2.0).

THE CW | Penn & Teller: Fool Us (1.8 mil/0.5) slipped 14 percent and two tenths.

1. Moment says:

Oh dear, I guess the Extant and Reckless cancelation announcements will come in time from CBS. It’s a shame these 2 summer shows didn’t rate well enough to be considered renewable.

2. Zenobia Jackson says:

I was shock that CBS announced next week’s episode of Extant as “season finale” instead of saying something like “the riveting limited run series concludes next weej”

• Moment says:

I’m only expecting an Under the Dome and Unforgettable renewal announcement from CBS. Unforgettable will likely be renewed and kept as a filler show for next summer, it did pretty much the same as Extant but it has 48 episodes under its belt and is cheaper.

• CA says:

I actually think Under the Dome is done. I’d expect the cancellation notification shortly. But CBS learned it’s lesson with Unforgettable…it will be back next summer.

• Moment says:

A 1.4-1.5 is fine for CBS during the summer months and all but guarantees renewal. They also have a good deal going with Amazon who pay a good amount of $ per episode.

• Arie says:

All shows say that unless they know in advance that the show had not been renewed.

• KCC says:

I agree. Exant should have been a limited run series. I hope that the wrap the storyline up next week and not end with a cliffhanger.

3. GeoDiva says:

I gave up on Extant a few weeks ago. It just fell apart.

• MP says:

I like it less and less each week and it’s reached a point where it’s a chore to watch, but I wanted to finish up the last few episodes. If it gets renewed next season I most likely won’t be watching.

4. Jon says:

Could they get a worse child actor than the one on the finale of Taxi Brooklyn? I think not. If renewed, please recast.

5. herman1959 says:

I thought last night’s episode of Extant was the best yet, but the show’s a goner anyway. Bye!

6. FF says:

Extant made two mistakes. First, it failed to establish any characters – the AI has more personality than the writing has given the leads; I would have given up on Molly if Berry’s acting weren’t so emphatic, I’ve actually given up on John – they just gave the actor nothing to do but react to situations by wondering where Molly is.

Second, it decided to take plot that when it wasn’t predictable chose to be boring and move it at a glacial pace.

You can only suffer through the second with the first.

And then thirdly, the most cardinal sin, IMO: going off on tagents about tertiary characters I care nothing about while the leads are literal walking blanks with poorly established relationships to each other. I don’t want to know about Barton’s brother and Sparks’ daughter when the central family unit are barely on screen together. And then probably the one secondary character I want to know more about – Yasumoto – is given nothing to do but look sinister while I hear about every other tertiary character’s sad side story.

If they’d bothered to establish the central family characters and their relationships I could have gotten attached to their personalities. Next time try that instead of wasting time developing side characters I didn’t tune in to watch. Julie’s side story with the terrorist was played out like she was a lead character, I literally ended up knowing more about them than John, wtf! Tbh though, this is the kind of writing that tends to happen when one of the leads is a PoC. Its always as if the writers need to go to a workshop on what NOT to do when one of your leads is a PoC. FYI, spending all your time focussing on and developing yt side characters at the expense of your PoC lead is the first thing to avoid.

More like they just won’t bother with the PoC lead next time, smh.

• I agree with you so much! Thank you for your brilliance! I have decided to stick around, tho for the season finale. And low and behold, when I saw the preview for it, it looked amazing. Molly goes back into space. That is another reason it tanked so badly. Molly should be discovering space and alien life and fighting it with scientific weapons like Weaver in Alien. This show is an excellent concept and I cannot help but wonder, what it could have been in someone else’s hands. For example, in the hands of Chris Carter and his writing team from The X-Files! Alas, one can only dream can’t one?

7. Rita says:

Extant was a waste of TV time. It started out OK and tanked from there. I love science fiction but this is definitely a bad example.

8. Sami says:

Gee- I wonder why Extant’s numbers were down last week? Could it be the President’s speech and so many confused viewers as to when it was on? You don’t take into account how many watched it online on Thursday and Friday. CBS does take into account the non-traditional ways of watching it and your polls don’t.

9. Screw the demo…we all aren’t ages 18 to 49. It would be nice to have some TV shows that appeal to those of us who have more mature tastes, like “Taxi Brooklyn. They get a good show on the air and it gets cancelled because the 18-49 demo group doesn;t know what a good show looks like.So frustrating!!