Scoop: HBO Not Moving Forward With Speedman-Torv Drama Open

Open HBO Pilot

HBO has closed the door on Open.

TVLine has learned that the cabler is not moving forward with Ryan Murphy’s sex-and-relationships drama pilot, which starred Scott Speedman, Anna Torv, Wes Bentley, Michelle Monaghan and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

RELATED Emmys 2014: The Normal Heart Takes Home Top Movie Prize

“After such a triumphant collaboration with The Normal Heart, everyone felt that Open was not the right next step for all involved,” said HBO Programming President Michael Lombardo. “However, we fully expect to work together again in the near future.”

1. Cornelius says:

I need my fix of Olivia Dunham back on TV :(

2. Erin says:

The show sounded kind of dull, but the cast was amazing. I NEED Anna Torv to act in more things.

3. David4 says:

Anna Torv wasn’t a very good actor in the beginning of Fringe, but boy did she really grow. I miss her now.

4. Lisa says:

I agree i never really understood what the premise was besides sex but id watch it anyway because the cast looked soo good. Kind of disappointed

5. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

What the F?

6. Fernanda says:

“Looking” at the beginning looked boring but I enjoyed since episode 5. Maybe the chemistry between the actors don’t convince HBO bosses. Showtime could pick this show

7. dan says:

I so wanted to watch this.

8. Well I am not surprised, off course its not what HBO thinks is good enough for them, sense it centered on Lesbians and not Gay men, it was fine for them to do The Normal Heart and that movie about Liberace with Michael Douglas, like as if there had never been one before, there was two done right after he died, and that Prop 8 doc which as always was centered on the gay men more then anything, but doing a show about lesbians, oh horrors! Oh and lets not forget that even Games Of Thrones is full of gay characters too, but lets not do anything having to do with lesbians right, that might just be too much! This is no surprise at all! Fine now maybe Anna can get back to her career instead of waiting for this show to start! And no I am not anti gay men, I am just tired of every show or movie being full of gay men, but them hardly ever having any good lesbian characters, the few shows that do, just do it to up their rating, and then shove their story on the back burner behind all the straight characters stories, while when its a gay man they will be one of the center characters and their story will always be up front! Its not like people want watch it, The L Word did great! But I think its just the usual sexiest junk that has being going on for years, whether you a straight woman or a lesbian woman you are always going to be chosen last behind men, no matter straight or gay! Its like everything has to center on a male character or the TV execs wont bother with it, unless of course it degrades woman, then its fine! I just asked about this show on here yesterday, I guess I got my answer, just not the one I was hoping for! But when I asked it I was thinking that they probably weren’t going to do it, they were taking way too long to make up their minds, and acting like they still had work to do on it, sure! Maybe Murphy should ask Netflix to pick it up, their not afraid of us scary Lesbians!

• Since you didn’t mentioned it, but have you seen The Fosters? I think that show has the best representation of a lesbian couple on TV right now.

Hopefully they can keep the main cast of Open for other projects, since it was a good one.

• johnhelvete says:

ABC Family also has Pretty Little Liars (Emily), Chasing Life (Brenna, bisexual but she picked the lesbian classmate over a male love interest). Faking It on MTV (Amy either bisexual or gay).

• You made a very good point in your post but it got lost in that long rant. There is a dearth of lesbian characters on television. LGBTQ characters on TV seem to be limited to gay men or bisexual woman and I imagine that would be extremely frustrating for lesbian women, who deserve more representation on television.(A decade ago, I remember being frustrated by the tv characterization of all gay men as stereotypical, feminine Jack McFarlands, but I’ve since seen very richly drawn gay male characters on tv). I would echo Armando’s sentiments below. The lesbian couple on the Fosters has been well-drawn and well-treated. Here’s hoping they’ll open up more doors for lesbian portrayals.

• Tom says:

Not afraid of lesbians, but I am afraid our schools aren’t teaching how to create paragraphs. I got lost in this, even though I wanted to read the comment.

• dman6015 says:

You do realize that your comment is longer than the entire article you commented on.

• Are we absolutely certain that the project itself was strong enough for HBO? Not everything Ryan Murphy does is excellent, nor is everything always going to be a slam dunk. I don’t honestly believe that TV has a problem with lesbians specifically over gay men. Its either an anti-gay bias or not. If the representations are skewed, I just don’t think its a lesbian problem. Maybe a women in general problem (much less good strong roles for women versus men, thus less strong roles featuring lesbians, by virtue of the fact there are less women…)

• Mimi says:

This is right on the money! I totally agree.

9. cdhaskell says:

Too bad that Open didn’t get beyond the pilot period. I can’t wait to see their next series/film.

10. Timot says:

I think that OPEN would have been something worth seeing. Scott Speedman looks good. And I haven’t seen Wes Bentely I anything in years. Ryan Murpht is a great director!

11. Kelly says:

Noooo. I need Ben…errr Scott ;)… back on my tv.

12. kate'shomesick says:

So the show wasn’t a guaranteed success ….GREAT…those are decisions that kill risky creative ideas…well done HBO, well done…

13. Guest says:

I wasn’t convinced it was the right move either, let alone the next step. Sex-and-relatonships is not exactly a good source for drama when its all the drama is based on.

14. KC says:

Well, I guess we know now why Ryan Murphy is so involved with the final season of Glee!

15. M3rc Nate says:

I am sad and happy, why?

Sad: I want Anna Torv to get work. This project on HBO was probably going to lead to Anna Torv nude & sex scenes (potentially lesbian sex scenes). Im not gonna say i wasnt looking forward to seeing that.

Happy: Because the shows plot/concept sounded a lot like the type of gross shows i cant stand watching (Satisfaction etc). I love Anna Torv so much on Fringe and i want her to get another TV show that i will enjoy watching!

16. chadcronin says:

This sounds like something I would have watched. Especially if Scott got naked. Now back to nothing to watch on HBO now that True Blood is over.

17. judithedna says:

another opportunity to see Torv. So why not take her and Jackson and work on something? they are excellent together!

18. judithedna says:

Bring back Olivia Dunahm and Peter Bishop!

19. Ian says:

I think this probably has more to do with Murphy finally learning some lesson. I don’t think he could really afford to take on another project that big right now and should just try and focus on AHS.
    Because as popular as The Normal Heart and AHS were/are, they’re far from perfect and have always gotten mixed reviews. Murphy can get quite out of his depth. It was the message of The Normal Heart that carried it to such a claim despite how flawed the actual movie was, and AHS just gets more ridiculous all the time.
    Also, with Glee being the epic fail it’s become heading into its last season in just a few months, it’s just not the best time for Murphy to be doing too much else while still so closely associated with it.

20. Ian says:

I do hope to see Scott Speedman land something else great really soon though.

Gorgeous, talented man.

21. Tomasawakadoodledo says:

Love Anna Torv as an actress and was hoping to see her back on TV. I’ll be honest too, I was really looking forward to possibly seeing Anna naked too. She is stunning!

22. K says:

Awful news! I need Anna Torv back on my screen!

23. She’s such a great actress and she need to put herself back of TV soon

24. Imsoevil says:

Lol, I’m so glad Anna’s show didn’t get picked up. That means less Anna, less annoying Anna fans and less anna fans bad mouthing Josh’s new show which got picked up and is getting good reviews.

TAKE THAT ANNA TORV FANS!!!

25. Yolanda says:

Come on, STARZ. Pick it up. It’s perfect show for your network.

26. Das Snow says:

Oh too bad bad I wanted to see Anna on TV again, so miss Fringe.

27. sammyfinbar says:

This is totally karma. Ryan Murphy deserves rejection after vomiting Coven all over us. I still haven’t recovered from the festering pile of mediocrity that was that season of AHS.